• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Trigger

Is finding resources through the radio unlimited?

Is there any punishment for delaying story missions?

Im at 13 survivors at the warehouse, should i push forward story wise to get a good survivor?

I wanna know this too.

I put off getting medicine for a day or two and didn't see a problem. but now I'm getting messages from a judge. Don't know if that's a main story mission or not. I haven't actually given what's-his-face the medicine yet. I'm afraid if I don't meet these people at the courthouse right away I'm going to miss out later.

AFAIK, you can delay story missions indefinitely. I didn't get the doctor for at least a week game time. Though I did get messages about Ed's health deteriorating as a warning.

Lily's radio requests are unlimited. Never had her reject a request for intel.

dyergram

Is there a way to take somebody with me on a mission out side of the lets go for a walk things? Also do I have to do missions they imply that I have to rush and complete them but I ain't to take my time and clear every building.

Damn, I can't believe 8 years into this console generation I'm still finding gems like this game. XBLA has really made this console generation really unique for me.

AFAIK, you can delay story missions indefinitely. I didn't get the doctor for at least a week game time. Though I did get messages about Ed's health deteriorating as a warning.

Lily's radio requests are unlimited. Never had her reject a request for intel.

Pretty sure they cost influence. 20 if I'm not mistaken, so as long as you've got influence, you'll be able to request Lily search out resource locations.

It's not worth it though, if you're after materials, look for garages, construction sites and half built homes. Ammo is found in gun shops (obviously) as well as in homes, food can be found in homes, mini marts, gas stations, fuel can also be found in garages and gas stations and medicine is found in pharmacies (obviously) as well as bathrooms.

Is there a way to take somebody with me on a mission out side of the lets go for a walk things? Also do I have to do missions they imply that I have to rush and complete them but I ain't to take my time and clear every building.

None of the missions I've come across are timed. There are those hunt a special zed missions, survivors can go in your place and either be injured or even killed during those apparently. Apart from those, none of the missions I've come are time sensitive.

As for taking survivors out with you, I'm more of a lone wolf, so the let's go on a walk missions are the only ones I've encountered where you can take a survivor with you.

Trigger

Ah, true. I didn't think of that.

No. Survivors team up on infestation and hunt missions, and there are some story stuff. That's it. You can trick the game into letting you bring an ally if you do a search and rescue mission and just delay returning the survivor home. Handy if you want some back up while exploring a location.

beastworship

Neo Member
just played the trial, really enjoyable stuff so i'm gonna go pick up 1600 points from EB games tomorrow, so lame they only sell 1400 point cards in Canada for $20 yet have releases that need 1600. this'll be the first full price xbla product i buy cause of the summer games drought and with my consumer savoy they'll probably have a summer sale on it later.

I was stuck at work yesterday morning when I found this thread. As soon as I got home, I said "TO HELL WITH MY BACKLOG" and dl'ed the demo, to end up buying the full game 10 minutes in to it. I will say, I unlocked the full version through the demo, and I had to start over. No big loss, but I see other people saying that it continues straight from the demo, and I didn't have that experience.

Another day of work down, another day of readin this whenever I could. I was totally unaware about calling survivors to supply caches, that will definitely make scavenging easier. I'd like it (I would now, at least)if I had to go rescue someone because I sent them out scavenging. That I possibly sent them to their doom. I thought my game was glitched because I also kept reading about people having to go save their comrades.

I am anxious to load up my gamesave too. Spent far too long playing it yesterday, but I left the game in relatively good stand, so I think. Knowing my luck, I won't be walking into anything pretty.

Welcome to you're "DOOM!"

grim0451

Neo Member
Games awesome, put a ton of hours into it the last couple days. I'm impressed that the game still manages to surprise when I was worried early on the repetition of some aspects of it would wear thin. And I have to say unlike a lot of games like this undead labs obviously succeeded not purely out of luck. Some things could be fleshed out but they've built a great foundation for future games. Unfortunately I won't have much time to play it the next couple days, and things weren't left in the best of situations so here's hoping nothing bad happens when I return to it.

Yanksfan

The only thing I really don't like (from what I am hearing, only played the demo so far) is that shit goes down when you are out of game. I know this is realistic and can be a plus for many people, but I am far too inconsistent in my play sessions to gravitate towards something like this. Am I wrong on this?

The only thing I really don't like (from what I am hearing, only played the demo so far) is that shit goes down when you are out of game. I know this is realistic and can be a plus for many people, but I am far too inconsistent in my play sessions to gravitate towards something like this. Am I wrong on this?
It seems that community is very divided on this. Personally I love it, because if I was the leader of a society and had to leave them for whatever reason, life would still go on, for better or worse. They would still need to survive without me. And if I leave my group behind in shitty conditions, then that's just being a bad leader

The original character you start with - I've used him almost exclusively for a good 15 hours.
He was 1 star away from being fully maxed out.
He had just gone on a number of close-call missions, and was dead tired.
So I let him rest finally, and picked another character.

Shortly thereafter, I check my group roster.
He's listed as missing.
Noooo!

Ok.... GOTY. Somebody needs to snap these guys up ASAP.
So what made this your GOTY? Any particular aspect?

For me, it's just the awesome emergent moments, that sense of tension you get while exploring and those utter moments of panic due to permadeath. And of course the fact that my dream game is now a reality

kirby145

Neo Member
If it bothers you then do the save to USB trick... And change your xbox clock.

Ok.... GOTY. Somebody needs to snap these guys up ASAP.

Yes. A hundred times yes. I'd go further and say it's in the top three of my games of the generation. I'm just that much in love with this game, it's something I've wanted for years and I'm still shocked it was made.

Is this timed exclusive or full on console exclusive?

It's 360/PC.

PC doesn't have a release date yet, but I'm sure they'll announce it in the next few weeks/months.

Trigger

Shortly thereafter, I check my group roster.
He's listed as missing.
Noooo!

Pay attention to your map. You should get a "search for survivor" mission soon. I believe some have speculated that the stronger survivors tend to go out on their own more often. My Marcus is also over powered, but he's always chilling at the crib.

Yanksfan

It seems that community is very divided on this. Personally I love it, because if I was the leader of a society and had to leave them for whatever reason, life would still go on, for better or worse. They would still need to survive without me. And if I leave my group behind in shitty conditions, then that's just being a bad leader

I can see those advantages for sure. If I knew I would be gaming frequently, I would like it. With my gaming time right now though, I need games I can stop and come back to at any time without penalty.

mokeyjoe

Does the ampunt of time you spend away affect things that much? As it being away for a day vs a week? I guess it's too early to say, lol.

I remember Fable 2 had a similar thing and I didn't play it for a couple of months then came back and I was a millionaire. :)

Lima

Does the ampunt of time you spend away affect things that much? As it being away for a day vs a week? I guess it's too early to say, lol.

I remember Fable 2 had a similar thing and I didn't play it for a couple of months then came back and I was a millionaire. :)

The developers said that 2 days away from the game obviously makes more difference than 1 day but after that there is really not much difference between let's say a week and a month.

eso76

Briefly tried the demo.
Wow. What a gem.
Buying it tomorrow, and picking tomb raider too (just discovered its just 29€ here on g.o.d.)

erage2772

Neo Member

Warning here,
Ed
will die if you put off doctor mission. My jaw dropped when the message came up.

Any tips for night time raiding? Zombies keep jumping through the windows while I'm looting :( shall I kill then until the zone is clear and it gets the white ring around it before looting stuff? And how much does turning the light off help?

Loving this game so far, I find myself actually holding my breath as I sneak around, scary stuff xD

Trigger

Yes and if you ignore the courthouse mission for too long everyone will die there so do it as soon as it comes up.

Well, that explains where Carl and the Judge went. On the flip side though, I got a cop and a civvie to leave there and join me.

Jac_Solar

Dude, we know who Tom Savini is. The developers are zombie movie fans. There are references to Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Shaun of the Dead, George Romero, Braindead, The Walking Dead comics (not the show, they reference Adlard/Moore), Plants vs Zombies and probably many more that I didn't catch.

The odd one out is the Dario Argento reference. Did he make any zombie movies?

Energy drinks are the most plentiful and effective IMO. The most effective are the super high powered trucker pills but those are pretty uncommon.

Hey, hey, chill out! I was replying to
The game is littered with zombie references. Most of them fly right over my head.

I don't think Dario Argento has made any zombie movies, or at least not a straight up zombie flick. I guess the closest is Demons (Obviously about demons, but they are somewhat similar to zombies.) -- he wrote it, produced it, and the band Goblin (Which often contributes to his movies.) contributed to the score, or main score at least. But it was directed by Lamberto Bava. Great movie in any case.

So what made this your GOTY? Any particular aspect?

For me, it's just the awesome emergent moments, that sense of tension you get while exploring and those utter moments of panic due to permadeath. And of course the fact that my dream game is now a reality

Finally moved into the warehouse last night. I was doing some resource scavenging and checking out the surrounding buildings for awhile, watching my runner's backs(so paranoid after losing Lizabeth in her sweet ass XBLA shirt), etc. Everything is going well, so I get back from a supply run and Lily says hey there's a big ass radio tower next to the warehouse, go take a look. I run Maya's snug-as-fk yoga pants'd ass over there and start looking around for the ladder when I hear it. That terrible noise, that 'oh shit damn you done fucked now up son' sound coming from a feral. I freaked out and tried to scramble up onto the dumpster to get to safety, and he pounces on me. I manage to break free and smack him enough to hop up to the second level. Oh thank god zombies can't clim- oh fuck ferals climb! I fight him to the edge and finally knock his ass off and next to the giant propane tank which quickly became a scrap of charred metal and feral bits. I then proceeded to climb my ass to the top of the tower and hold myself for a few minutes waiting for the horde of zombies my explosion had attracted to lose interest.

Vamphuntr

Well it's really glitched in my case. Still no story missions after a full real day and I'm going to run out of ammo cases soon. When I ask Lily to find them she says she marked them on the map but there isn't any marker.

Broken game.

LowerLevel

Finally moved into the warehouse last night. I was doing some resource scavenging and checking out the surrounding buildings for awhile, watching my runner's backs(so paranoid after losing Lizabeth in her sweet ass XBLA shirt), etc. Everything is going well, so I get back from a supply run and Lily says hey there's a big ass radio tower next to the warehouse, go take a look. I run Maya's snug-as-fk yoga pants'd ass over there and start looking around for the ladder when I hear it. That terrible noise, that 'oh shit damn you done fucked now up son' sound coming from a feral. I freaked out and tried to scramble up onto the dumpster to get to safety, and he pounces on me. I manage to break free and smack him enough to hop up to the second level. Oh thank god zombies can't clim- oh fuck ferals climb! I fight him to the edge and finally knock his ass off and next to the giant propane tank which quickly became a scrap of charred metal and feral bits. I then proceeded to climb my ass to the top of the tower and hold myself for a few minutes waiting for the horde of zombies my explosion had attracted to lose interest.

Yeah, that's that shit right there. Good story.

Trigger

So has anyone used a base that wasn't the warehouse/church? I've been curious what the benefits of each are.

So..when is the right time to move to the warehouse? I'm afraid of doing it either too soon, or too late, lol.

Immediately after you visit it in the story IMO.

JammyMunkey

Neo Member
Not a good day today, lost 3 people. Turned the game on to find that one of my guys had shot and killed one of our group and then he turned ill so I had to put him down, then the priest got torn in half by a big fat lad. :(

Top Bottom