• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Lima

Thanks for the answers. So it's actually good to have less survivors.

I guess you could say that. I mean you need 12 people to get either the warehouse or the farm which are the best places in the game. After it is built though it certainly doesn't hurt if a few useless people (like Ed who is good at reality tv trivia or that one girl who is good at sexting/gossiping) get overconfident while fighting zombie hordes if you know what I mean.

I hate to break it to you but if you don't have any particular skills to contribute to my community, you are on your own buddy.

Bought this today as my vacation just started and I don't really have anything to play. So far I'm pretty disappointed. Can't really get into it. It feels like a last-gen GTA.

Vamphuntr

I guess you could say that. I mean you need 12 people to get either the warehouse or the farm which are the best places in the game. After it is built though it certainly doesn't hurt if a few useless people (like Ed who is good at reality tv trivia or that one girl who is good at sexting/gossiping) get overconfident while fighting zombie hordes if you know what I mean.

I hate to break it to you but if you don't have any particular skills to contribute to my community, you are on your own buddy.

I don't think having a lot of people is useful either. I always had 12-13 and never had any issues. Never got a character killed by enemies. I would always use the same 2-3 characters who were overpowered by the end. The more people you have, the more will get lost or needs rescuing around so that's a huge minus to me.

My only criteria for picking a base was being close to a new looting area and story missions so it would be quick to go back and forth.

I went Church -> Warehouse -> Fair Grounds and never had any issues. The last one was very useful too me because of the many army tents with good weapons there. All of the story missions were there in the end too.

Is there a new game plus after the ending?

Nope

Corsick

Edit: Asked a stupid question, had to edit it out >.>. Thank you for answering though wwm0nkey.

So you can build up a group of survivors then? How does it work in terms of persistence and the importance of survivor companions?

Sulik2

Listened to Rebel FM and this game sounded really interesting from Arthur's description, but it made me think of the flash game Rebuild so much. Is this essentially just a clone of Rebuild with better graphics?

If you are at the warehouse you will already have a machine shop built in, so munitions shop.

The built-in workshop only repairs car body & tire damage overnight.

If I build another workshop, I can upgrade it to a Machine Shop.
Then it also repairs engine damage, as well as replaces lost bumpers and doors.

I go through quite a number of vehicles, mowing down hordes.
Also use them to clear out as many Zeds as I can, by laying on the horn outside a house I'm about to enter.

Trigger

Listened to Rebel FM and this game sounded really interesting from Arthur's description, but it made me think of the flash game Rebuild so much. Is this essentially just a clone of Rebuild with better graphics?

No, I don't think the scope is quite the same.

Lima

The built-in workshop only repairs car body & tire damage overnight.

If I build another workshop, I can upgrade it to a Machine Shop.
Then it also repair engine damage, as well as replaces lost bumpers and doors.

But the warehouse already has a fully working machine shop built in if you decide to take your home there.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Uh oh -- my missions may be bugged. I ignored
the courthouse for too long and somehow it was overrun with zombies.
I never received the Wilkerson's achievement and the Army
recently opened up the bridge and took up home on the fairgrounds.
Went two days in-game with no new story missions. Turned it off for today and hope to return to it tomorrow with new story missions popping up. I'm not fond of continually saving Ed or being asked to scout.

But the warehouse already has a fully working machine shop built in if you decide to take your home there.

Hmm, my home is the Snyder Trucking Warehouse, and the description of the built-in machine shop does not state that.

BUILT IN WORKSHOP
Facility Bonuses
Real Workshop
Automatically repair Body and Tire damage for vehicles parked overnight.

Vamphuntr

Uh oh -- my missions may be bugged. I ignored
the courthouse for too long and somehow it was overrun with zombies.
I never received the Wilkerson's achievement and the Army
recently opened up the bridge and took up home on the fairgrounds.
Went two days in-game with no new story missions. Turned it off for today and hope to return to it tomorrow with new story missions popping up. I'm not fond of continually saving Ed or being asked to scout.

The part in the spoiler tags happened to me too so I think it's part of the story eventually. I had the problem with no missions happening for a long time but for me it was the bridge missions that wouldn't spawn. After that all missions spawned back to back until the end. The coding seems rather capricious.

It doesn't say it in-game (I looked earlier), but it should repair them.

http://stateofdecay.wikia.com/wiki/Snyder_Trucking_Warehouse

Anyone can edit the wiki. It's not fully upgraded. If you try to click andupgrade it will say that you can't upgrade facilities that comes with a base by default. The upgrade button isn't there when you can no longer upgrade a facility.

Kard8p3

Question; the game is always telling me to pick one of two utility skills when I go to them, but it gives me no prompts, so how do I actually choose them?

Also; what is the fastest way to get other peeps to join your community?

Lima

Don't worry about the description. It is useless. Take the normal workshop for example, it says that it repairs stashed weapons. Now if you decide to upgrade it to either a machine or munitions shop the description will not say that anymore but the shop will continue to repair your weapons. It says machine shop if you select it in your menu and that is all that counts. Trust me it repairs engine, tires, everything on your car and with the patch next week it will repair them at dawn in the game and not at dawn real time.

Don't worry about the description. It is useless. Take the normal workshop for example, it says that it repairs stashed weapons. Now if you decide to upgrade it to either a machine or munitions shop the description will not say that anymore but the shop will continue to repair your weapons. It says machine shop if you select it in your menu and that is all that counts. Trust me it repairs engine, tires, everything on your car and with the patch next week it will repair them at dawn in the game and not at dawn real time.

Ok, thanks I'll take your word on it.

Now...Cooking Area or Dining Area?
:D

The part in the spoiler tags happened to me too so I think it's part of the story eventually. I had the problem with no missions happening for a long time but for me it was the bridge missions that wouldn't spawn. After that all missions spawned back to back until the end. The coding seems rather capricious.

Anyone can edit the wiki. It's not fully upgraded. If you try to click andupgrade it will say that you can't upgrade facilities that comes with a base by default. The upgrade button isn't there when you can no longer upgrade a facility.

Right, I know that you can't upgrade it. But I'm still pretty sure it's the full workshop. Wouldn't it say "Basic Workshop" if it couldn't upgrade cars? I swear I've left some of my cars outside and they were repaired. Maybe I just got zombie fever though...

John Wayne

Neo Member
Has anyone beat the game with Marcus still alive? My friend has and I'm almost there. He is like the only character I use. Once you max out your skills with him, he basically becomes unstoppable. At least with me he does.

KrAzEd

Banned
Edit:
So you can build up a group of survivors then? How does it work in terms of persistence and the importance of survivor companions?

I have about 12 survivors and I don't think I want anymore lol. Its important in the sense that you can build up a base and have people serve different functions, but eventually it becomes more of a hassle trying to look after everyone. People get sick, tired and somehow go missing. I barely switch between characters, I have one main guy I use who is a beast and there are ways of getting around stamina depletion, which in my opinion is the only real reason to switch.

Lima

Right, I know that you can't upgrade it. But I'm still pretty sure it's the full workshop. Wouldn't it say "Basic Workshop" if it couldn't upgrade cars? I swear I've left some of my cars outside and they were repaired. Maybe I just got zombie fever though...

It is a fully working Machine Shop. End of story right there.

As for cooking or dinning area. I took the cooking area simply because it gives you a pretty good health benefit if you have a cook who can make a big meal. It gives you +20 vitality. Not even sure what the dinning area gives you but I would guess it is something about morale.

For buildings I did this:

- Library
- Medical area, upgrade to infirmary
- Training area, upgrade to dojo
- Workshop, upgrade to munitions shop
- cooking area inside the warehouse

Karak

Another Tips and Tricks video-
Covers how to use the base missions to get assistance for things like infestations, some various things people miss, and how to maximize backbacks/scavengers and understand what to get first, and last covers another 2 skills and what can help you.

Also a tiny bit about the skills + building upgrades(modifications) that are hidden inside the game.

May not be useful for anyone but if it helps some of the new peeps thats cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHcCqbvysCk

If anyone has any desires for help feel free to ask I can do another video.

Somewhere under 20. Only a few are necessary to further the plot. Others are just side stories.

Well I just heard a radio broadcast from an army dude
about raising a bridge.
Am I getting near the end of the main missions? I might just stick to the main stuff and beat it and then go reload and do the rest. I love the game just anxious to see how it ends :D

Another Tips and Tricks video-

I thought for sure they would put the tips videos we uploaded in the main OP. They really should. Help a ton!

Vamphuntr

Well I just heard a radio broadcast from an army dude
about raising a bridge.
Am I getting near the end of the main missions? I might just stick to the main stuff and beat it and then go reload and do the rest. I love the game just anxious to see how it ends :D

Almost to the end. There's about 3-4 missions left. Don't get too excited for the ending, it's quite anti climatic.

Almost to the end. There's about 3-4 missions left. Don't get too excited for the ending, it's quite anti climatic.

Ok cool and yeah I didn't expect much for an ending. More about the gameplay and experience. Hmm if I'm that close, I might just try and go for it. I know I've played over 15 hours now so seeing the end and then re-loading might be the way to go.

I've got the glitch where it says I have too many infestations, but there are none around me and its causing my fort to keep losing morale. I'm debating waiting for the patch.

Trigger

Meh. Maya went missing, but there's no quest to investigate her disappearance. I'm a little afraid that if I log off for now she'll just turn up dead.

EDIT- Bless the RNG for giving me the quest. I can go to bed happy now. ;__;

Climb a few observation towers, and search for some infestations?
Well maybe it's not a glitch but this is in the patch notes:

'The "Too many infestations!" event will now only occur when there are too many infestations within 500m of your Home, rather than anywhere in the world.'

I've only explored maybe a third of the map, it seems crazy to have to go look for infestations miles away from my main fort just to keep from being nagged and suffering the morale penalty.

Natiko

Banned
I can't seem to get any new survivors to join. I'm currently at 13, but none of the enclaves around me are interested in joining and I've tried to use Lily's missions twice but both times it said that no new survivors could be contacted. Any ideas?

Trigger

I can't seem to get any new survivors to join. I'm currently at 13, but none of the enclaves around me are interested in joining and I've tried to use Lily's missions twice but both times it said that no new survivors could be contacted. Any ideas?

Are you still at the church? Have you considered moving?

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Finally back on track after a glitch -- quit and reloaded a few hours later. Final story missions were thrown up on the map a few minutes into the game after reloading. I do wish the "Infestations" glitch would go away. I'm at the warehouse and there's not a zombie in sight until I cross the bridge towards the courthouse.

Top Bottom