• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Lima

Hmm, I thought the warehouse was too big so I used that suburban house down the road from the warehouse as my base.

That house is shit man. You could have just stayed in the church.

I just moved to the Trumbull County Fairgrounds. I really like the location here but that place is terrible.

You get some different interior stuff built in but it doesn't have more places than the warehouse. Actually since it doesn't have a spot for a watchtower it has less room I would say.

And the thing is a fucking maze. It is also kinda hard to find building materials up there, it is mostly ammo and food.

I kinda regret moving there. Stay in the warehouse or move to the farm people. Don't go up there.

Trigger

I wish it was possible to make some kind of woodworking facility at the warehouse. Scavenging for construction materials to maintain the base is hard work.

Vamphuntr

Yay I found a way to unglitch the game finally. If you are stuck and been playing for a long while (long play sessions, quit for a long time and restarted) and no story missions are spawning, repeatedly quite and reload until it's unbroken. Worked for me.

Thank you Reddit.

More I play the more I understand it and get better. This game is a time drainer I keep thinking I need to do one thing then something else comes up and time just slips by. One of the best lol moments I had was hitting a zombie and making him fly a good 30 feet into a store busting the window out

R3TRODYCE

That house is shit man. You could have just stayed in the church.

I just moved to the Trumbull County Fairgrounds. I really like the location here but that place is terrible.

You get some different interior stuff built in but it doesn't have more places than the warehouse. Actually since it doesn't have a spot for a watchtower it has less room I would say.

And the thing is a fucking maze. It is also kinda hard to find building materials up there, it is mostly ammo and food.

I kinda regret moving there. Stay in the warehouse or move to the farm people. Don't go up there.

No way! I'll check the warehouse out a bit more before I make the big decision.

Prompt for mercy killing popped up. I'd only have 7 survivors and would have to set up base in The Alamo, so I hauled ass to setup at Savini and then killed the guy.

Will try to get more survivors and move to the warehouse ASAP. Will probably have to waste some construction on medical and bunkhouse though at least.
I moved to the farm. The building itself is nice, though supply runs get fairly far away.

Heard you can get infestations in the barn right outside and that you should probably make that an outpost.

legbone

Yay I found a way to unglitch the game finally. If you are stuck and been playing for a long while (long play sessions, quit for a long time and restarted) and no story missions are spawning, repeatedly quite and reload until it's unbroken. Worked for me.

Thank you Reddit.

great news. i was holding off buying this until they fixed the bug. now i think i will pick it up.

Lima

Ugh man this move to the fairgrounds just killed all my interest in keeping this going. I pretty much had scavenged all places down in the city so I don't have any quick ways to regain building materials.

But hey since I already got 400/400 gs I think I'm gonna let the game rest for a few days, wait for the first patch and start a new game, with all the knowledge about the game that I now have a second playthrough should be pretty interesting.

Finally moved into the warehouse last night. I was doing some resource scavenging and checking out the surrounding buildings for awhile, watching my runner's backs(so paranoid after losing Lizabeth in her sweet ass XBLA shirt), etc. Everything is going well, so I get back from a supply run and Lily says hey there's a big ass radio tower next to the warehouse, go take a look. I run Maya's snug-as-fk yoga pants'd ass over there and start looking around for the ladder when I hear it. That terrible noise, that 'oh shit damn you done fucked now up son' sound coming from a feral. I freaked out and tried to scramble up onto the dumpster to get to safety, and he pounces on me. I manage to break free and smack him enough to hop up to the second level. Oh thank god zombies can't clim- oh fuck ferals climb! I fight him to the edge and finally knock his ass off and next to the giant propane tank which quickly became a scrap of charred metal and feral bits. I then proceeded to climb my ass to the top of the tower and hold myself for a few minutes waiting for the horde of zombies my explosion had attracted to lose interest.
Ferals can climb?!

O_O

I think what I love/hate about this game is that in every other open world game, the world stops moving/progressing when you're on a main-line quest. In this game, it keeps going and you'll suffer the consequences of being too slow or choosing one sidequest over another.

Daigoro

Ugh man this move to the fairgrounds just killed all my interest in keeping this going. I pretty much had scavenged all places down in the city so I don't have any quick ways to regain building materials.

But hey since I already got 400/400 gs I think I'm gonna let the game rest for a few days, wait for the first patch and start a new game, with all the knowledge about the game that I now have a second playthrough should be pretty interesting.
how did you get 400 without the game ending? thought you couldn't get back after the last mission?

Lima

how did you get 400 without the game ending? thought you couldn't get back after the last mission?

I did end the game before I moved there. If you don't die on the last mission you can just select continue from the main menu after and you will be dropped into the world again right before the last mission. I wanted to continue playing on that save actually and level up all my characters and stuff and ultimately see how long I would survive until all resources run out.

I also don't know if it intentional but if you die on the final mission you can never escape from the valley and will be stuck. You won't get to see the end and won't get the achievement. Pretty hardcore if intentional.

Trigger

I did end the game before I moved there. If you don't die on the last mission you can just select continue from the main menu after and you will be dropped into the world again right before the last mission. I wanted to continue playing on that save actually and level up all my characters and stuff and ultimately see how long I would survive until all resources run out.

I also don't know if it intentional but if you die on the final mission you can never escape from the valley and will be stuck. You won't get to see the end and won't get the achievement. Pretty hardcore if intentional.

So how far from the end am I?
The next mission is for me to meet at an armory to get explosives with the soldier guy.

I'm trying to wrap up some side-quests before I go do it.

Greyvvolf

How do I bust open a door? It's locked.
I'm at the mission where I go to the court house and I have to look for survivors? But I can't get in the building?

Daigoro

ok thanks. still got a few things to do before I tackle the last mission.

Lima

So how far from the end am I?
The next mission is for me to meet at an armory to get explosives with the soldier guy.

I'm trying to wrap up some side-quests before I go do it.

You have three missions left including the one you are talking about in your spoiler.

Don't worry though the game tells you that it is the final mission before starting it so you can keep on doing story missions up to that point. At least that is what I did. I then ventured off and did a bunch of side stuff before I actually did the last mission.

Wired

I'm quite interested in this game, but I think I'm going to wait for the PC version. It looked quite janky and somewhat rough, maybe that way they'll have had time to work some of that stuff out. Besides the increase in IQ should make the wait worthwhile in itself. It'll be hard though, been looking forward to it for some time ;)

I made Marcus a Ninja (level 7 Wit: searching is silent, and you can crouch sprint).

And now he's sick.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

How do you even heal seriously wounded people? Can you? My Marcus and another person were beat down once by a feral zombie, and their health bar got permanently lowered. I don't have any health items that heal serious wounds.

I made Marcus a Ninja (level 7 Wit: searching is silent, and you can crouch sprint).

And now he's sick.

How do you even heal seriously wounded people? Can you? My Marcus and another person were beat down once by a feral zombie, and their health bar got permanently lowered. I don't have any health items that heal serious wounds.

Build a medical unit at your base. Then control someone else and let them heal.

Trigger

You have three missions left including the one you are talking about in your spoiler.

Don't worry though the game tells you that it is the final mission before starting it so you can keep on doing story missions up to that point. At least that is what I did. I then ventured off and did a bunch of side stuff before I actually did the last mission.

Missed this post initially. Thanks!

This game needs post-story content ASAP.

And now he's sick.

Switch to someone else and let him stay at the base. He'll heal over time.

Build a medical unit at your base. Then control someone else and let them heal.

Switch to someone else and let him stay at the base. He'll heal over time.

Thanks! I already have a medical unit, so I guess I'll just switch to Maya, Karen or Wyatt.

Question: Can you have 2 home bases? I've got 14 people, 8 beds, so I want the rest to go into that 5 person/20 Materials potential home site. Should I remove my dojo unit and get another bedroom unit instead?

Trigger

You can't have multiple bases. You'll have to move to a bigger base or redesign the current one if you need more beds. I also have a dojo, but I question it's worth in the long run.

Karak

You can't have multiple bases. You'll have to move to a bigger base or redesign the current one if you need more beds. I also have a dojo, but I question it's worth in the long run.

It really seemed to help me keep the runners and day to day tripps the NPC's took in line.

Lima

Question: Can you have 2 home bases? I've got 14 people, 8 beds, so I want the rest to go into that 5 person/20 Materials potential home site. Should I remove my dojo unit and get another bedroom unit instead?

No you can only have one base. Keep the dojo, it will provide the same benefits that a second bedroom would give you. The main benefit from the bedroom is that you get +10 stamina but the dojo is more useful because it also gives you that and you can get more xp for fighting. And if you keep adding survivors to your community you need more than 16 beds. Not worth it imo.

njean777

Umm how do I rest? I am at the first home base and I walk to the beds and there is no option to sleep... and it says I am tired....

Trigger

Get off? Like literally turn off the xbox?

Yes, characters will rest while you're logged off. Or you can just switch characters. The person you're playing as will go relax. The idea is for you to constantly be switching from tired to alert survivors.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
What a ride so far. I've had to
take a few people outside and then cap them
. My survivor numbers are dwindling down slowly by me either fucking up or killed in zombie horde attacks. I had one attack that must have went on for 10mins or so, something like 4 - 5 hordes attacked us at least and we managed to survive it though a few folks were injured. Must guttingly though Maya is currently missing :( Her and Marcus have been my two mains though I did start slowly levelling up other people a short while ago.

I'm not sure what to spoil or not since I'm guessing folks games can play out differently but I'll spoiler it anyway. I'm only a few main missions into Marshal so don't worry about any endgame spoilers. This is mostly character related anyway

So I'm out on missions scavenging and I don't know how many times I've had to tell that fucker Alan to stop being so angry. Constantly telling him to calm down and behave himself. I left the doctor mission for too long and Ed is now dead. Shit. The pastor starts getting sick and going mental shouting about 'Fire, Hell and Damnation' etc. Alan then shoots the Pastor in the head. Alan himself THEN gets sick and so I take him to a construction site and shoot him point blank in the head, taking his rucksack back for all those goodies. I then get a call from that Ray Santiano fella to do a mission for him. We're in the car and I accidentally tip it over due to not being able to see much at nighttime, but regardless you must need the car for this mission. So it explodes and I've failed it. I'm not even sure if thats a main mission, hopefully it comes up again (or maybe not!)

I am enjoying the unpredictably of it all though. I genuinely don't know what the hell is going to happen next :p

It really seemed to help me keep the runners and day to day tripps the NPC's took in line.

No you can only have one base. Keep the dojo, it will provide the same benefits that a second bedroom would give you. The main benefit from the bedroom is that you get +10 stamina but the dojo is more useful because it also gives you that and you can get more xp for fighting. And if you keep adding survivors to your community you need more than 16 beds. Not worth it imo.

Thanks for the answers. So it's actually good to have less survivors. Thought the game was going to make me build an army to go against the actual army :p

Vamphuntr

I beat the game.

Overall a lot of things worked and a lot didn't.

I think it's probably the zombie game with the best concept and mechanics. You really feel like you are stuck in a zombie apocalypse and must be scavenge carefully to survive. You have to share items with other survivors and trade if you must. Loots won't respawn and cars are limited and will blow up eventually when damages. People will randomly get sick or start killing other people when they get angry or depressed like you would in a an apocalyptic scenario. Zombies will be attracted by noise from cars, firearms and broken windows. you can also do diversions with firecrackers and flare. You can climb towers or reach high grounds to survey the area and identify on your maps the type of buildings around you. You can take angry people for a walk and have them blow some steam by killing zombies so that they don't go crazy or you can bring sick people in a secluded area to kill them before they turn.

Managing the base and moving it is fun. You have to decide how to use your ressources and which upgrades to build with the limited supplies you have.

On the other hand the lack of budget seriously hurt the game. It looks ugly and runs poorly. Framerate seems to fluctuate between 0 and 25 fps all the time. Usually worse when driving or when there is a lot of enemies around. Lots of screen tearing. Game is super buggy too. I got the bug where the story would simply not want to progress and was stuck there for one day and half (real time). Sometimes allies will randomly stop on the map for minutes doing nothing when doing missions. Enemies get stuck in fences and wall all the time too. Sometimes you get a message saying there's too many infestations when they are none on the map. For the second half of the game using Lily's ability to search for caches would do nothing. Paying influence and would get a message to check the map while nothing would show up on the map.

Often the game gets more annoying than fun to play. Especially when the game has you to rescue survivors who got lost and or trapped in an enemies infested areas. At times I had to constantly save them and it was really irritating. Especially since these missions are the same. You go to the area on the map and 4 possible locations in your surroundings show up where the survivors could be and you must explore them until you find them and drive them back home.

Story missions are usually the same as the random destroy an infestation or find a survivor mission except you have someone talking about the mission itself. They didn't have the budget to do something really special I guess. As such you can of get tired of the game eventually as you are always doing the same thing. The missions are the same and the looting gets old eventually.

The simulation part of the game is both really cool and punishing. While the game is turned off, time will pass and events will happen. Some people might catch the disease, some people might get depressed and shot another survivors, your supplies will drain (sometimes dramatically), morale of the community will be lowered and you lose influence preventing you from taking too much from the community stash.

I didn't find the game difficult at all. I never lost a survivor to enemies in the game. If you always a carry a melee weapon, a firearm w/ ammo and 4 healing items you will be fine if you are careful. The only people that I lost were those to the simulation while the game was off. I also got the badass achievement for beating 50 missions with the same survivor. If you loot around in a intelligent manner (ie in this game you will find items where they should be most of the time like construction materials on a construction site, firearms in a gun shop or police station, etc) you will always have more stuff than you need to use. You can also press B before an enemy grabs you to dodge so it's quite easy to not get hit.

By the time I reached the end of the game I had probably more than 60 firearms including 5 grenade launchers, about 50 varied health restoring pills including 15 vials of morphine.

The sad thing is that you rarely need to use that much firepower. I only used the grenade launcher in the last mission. Most of the time it was me and my trusty axe with the points spent on heavy weapon specialization and skills.

The ending is also pretty stupid and short. I think you are not meant to be able to rotate the camera around because it shows how cheap the game is. ENDING SPOILERS
I think they imply the other side of the blowed up wall is crawling with infested but if you rotate the camera you clearly see the way is clear on the other side.

It's very addictive and fun but also quite flawed. I'm excited to see what the studios could do with a bigger budget though. Hopefully they can make a full fledged title now that this one was a success.

Top Bottom