• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of wish the game would move a bit more slowly so I could manage things better and read the characters info etc. Feels like I don't have time for it, or maybe I do?

edit: also :lol at the guy who was trashing MS in the SoD sales thread.

Trigger

lol, I really wish I could tell certain characters to stay at home. I always get nervous when Maya or Marcus "go on a mission".

moai

so the outpost where you find two npc's near the church. entered today and there was no one there. are they dead? try to turn it into an outpost but i couldn't.

Can you convince neighbors to join up with you? Need three more survivors before I can move to the warehouse.

And what happens to the facilities and outposts you've built or upgraded at the church when you move? They just go away and you get nothing?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Can you convince neighbors to join up with you? Need three more survivors before I can move to the warehouse.

And what happens to the facilities and outposts you've built or upgraded at the church when you move? They just go away and you get nothing
?

wondering the same thing

Ilive1up

having to constantly save survivors because they get lost or trapped is getting to me though. i want to do this main mission (at least i think it is) and it's decently far away but every time i go i get a call from the radio asking to help someone. STOP LEAVING THE CHURCH! i mean, if they were helping, and bringing back supplies then it would be ok, but it's just a pain.

Ilive1up

And what happens to the facilities and outposts you've built or upgraded at the church when you move? They just go away and you get nothing?

i have enough material (75) to move into the warehouse. i'm going to do that next and see what the outcome of the church is. i hear the warehouse is the best spot in the game, due to its size.

AleeN634

From my game the outpost stayed behind after I moved. It takes a slot in the outpost limit of your new home though. It's a good/bad thing as you then have an outpost in the starter town to drop off supplies but doesn't add to the safe zone around your home.

Trigger

You'll have to rebuild upgrades in the new base. Pretty sure the old ones at the church are gone too. It's no biggie though since you'll have no need to return. If you need more survivors have Lily put out a request. It'll generate two/three dudes randomly.

i have enough material (75) to move into the warehouse. i'm going to do that next and see what the outcome of the church is. i hear the warehouse is the best spot in the game, due to its size.

The warehouse is amazing. It's got several food locations nearby and room for lots of upgrades. Building supplies go fast though.

Couple questions..

Should I equip all the people I can switch to with better stuff even if I have no intention of ever using them?

Also, has anyone had an issue where infested houses never clear? My home morale is dropping and people are bitching all the time about infestations. My base is the trucking building in the 2nd town. There are 2 infestations a ways off from there, and I have cleared both out but they don't clean up.

It seems as if Lilly's brother might be in an endless missing loop for me as well. The last 3 times I have loaded the game up he is missing and always in the same area. I swear to God he is always in a building across the street from my home base. And he is always "too hurt to go on foot". So I have to go grab a car from across the street and drive his ass across the street to the home base lol. Not a big deal but an annoyance because I guess he might die if I don't go save him.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So do I need to build a storage facility in the church so I can save up enough building supplies to move to the warehouse?

Lily's brother is gay, right?
Just wanting to make sure I was interpreting that rescue scene the way it was intended. If so, I like the way more and more games are nonchalantly creating gay characters like its no big deal. Because it shouldnt be.

Yes. As Trigger said, it becomes more apparent as you progress.

I know what you mean. It was the perfect moment for me. I wanted to have an adventure so I walked from the church to the other town. By the time I got there, it was night. Not a zombie in sight. Totally quiet. Abandoned cars everywhere. It really felt like something from 28 Days Later or TWD

And then I climbed the nearest survey point and...damn

Indeed. It's insanely creepy when you first come upon in the dead of night. Still amazes me how thick the atmosphere in this game is. It's the little things.

Trigger

I love the occasional, subtle slow down when you properly dodge a zombie's lunge. Maya, why you so badass girl?

Couple questions..

Should I equip all the people I can switch to with better stuff even if I have no intention of ever using them?

No, not really. Just be vigilant in helping folks so that they don't die out in the wild. Anything they're carrying when they die would have to be retrieved and it'd be shitty to lose a shotgun/sword/etc from their corpse.

Also, has anyone had an issue where infested houses never clear? My home morale is dropping and people are bitching all the time about infestations. My base is the trucking building in the 2nd town. There are 2 infestations a ways off from there, and I have cleared both out but they don't clean up.

This could be due to a zombie spawning in the ground or under the floor. Try throwing some explosives around? It cleared an infestation for me that also seemingly had no enemies around.

It seems as if Lilly's brother might be in an endless missing loop for me as well. The last 3 times I have loaded the game up he is missing and always in the same area. I swear to God he is always in a building across the street from my home base. And he is always "too hurt to go on foot". So I have to go grab a car from across the street and drive his ass across the street to the home base lol. Not a big deal but an annoyance because I guess he might die if I don't go save him.

I'm thinking the devs intended him to be a lag on resources. Jacob is a very lame survivor. lol, I have no clue
how Eli and him could manage to regularly meet up with each other around town.

So do I need to build a storage facility in the church so I can save up enough building supplies to move to the warehouse?

I don't recall having to do that before I moved, but if you're not meeting the requirements then why not?

Mindlog

The game is littered with zombie references. Most of them fly right over my head.

For the longest time my little community had a small morale/health bar or whatever that thing is. Now it's almost full! Most of my people are alive. Everything is well stocked. Zombies are dying like crazy. Feels too easy. Nothing can go wrong!

Leaderboards topped 300k last I checked.

The game is littered with zombie references. Most of them fly right over my head.

For the longest time my little community had a small morale/health bar or whatever that thing is. Now it's almost full! Most of my people are alive. Everything is well stocked. Zombies are dying like crazy. Feels too easy. Nothing can go wrong!

Leaderboards topped 300k last I checked.
Hell yeah. What a success! Discounting Minecraft, I wonder if SoD will break the record for most sales in a week and most sales in a month

Trigger

Saved one of my survivors from being overrun after she went missing. She then goes on to tell me a story about how she abandoned her father with Alzheimer's to a zombie horde.

"Trait discovered: Survivor's Guilt."

:(

Jac_Solar

Thomas Vincent "Tom" Savini (born November 3, 1946) is an American actor, stuntman, director, and award-winning special effects and makeup artist.[1] He is known for his makeup and special effects work on many films directed by George A. Romero, including Martin, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Creepshow and Monkey Shines; he also created the special effects and makeup for many cult classics like Friday the 13th (parts I and IV), Maniac, The Burning, The Prowler and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

Savini directed Night of the Living Dead, the 1990 remake of Romero's 1968 Night of the Living Dead;[2] his other directing work include three episodes of the TV show Tales from the Darkside and one segment in The Theatre Bizarre. As an actor and stuntman, he has appeared in films such as Martin, Dawn of the Dead, Knightriders, From Dusk till Dawn, Grindhouse (Planet Terror), Machete, and The Simpsons (as himself).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Savini

What's the stealth like in the game?

The thought of moving out of base with just a knife, some distraction tools (firecrackers), an empty rucksack, and sneaking through the town while zombies roam everywhere sounds like something I'd love to play it like.

Is it possible to play such a way?

The only stealth vid I've seen is the 'Distraction' vid from 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pApHmrG6LY

Drachma

Banned
Been playing this a bit today, and despite some jank with the controls and framerate it's pretty fuckin' good.

Though I feel like the tutorial didn't tell me as much as I needed to know. When my character gets tired how do you get them to rest if you have no other player characters to switch with?

I apologize if this already been answered but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to select weapon specializations or skills. I have several characters at level 7 in multiple fields (fighting, powerhouse, wits, etc) and it tells me I can select skills/weapon specializations but I have no idea how to actually do it.

Highlight the skill you want and press X. It will then warn you that it is final and you have to press and hold X to finalize your choice.

Been playing this a bit today, and despite some jank with the controls and framerate it's pretty fuckin' good.

Though I feel like the tutorial didn't tell me as much as I needed to know. When my character gets tired how do you get them to rest if you have no other player characters to switch with?
You can drink coffee or take trucker pills or stuff like that. The descriptions of items should tell you.

My Marcus basically runs on coffee so I rarely swap characters, haha.

aku:jiki

Dude, we know who Tom Savini is. The developers are zombie movie fans. There are references to Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Shaun of the Dead, George Romero, Braindead, The Walking Dead comics (not the show, they reference Adlard/Moore), Plants vs Zombies and probably many more that I didn't catch.

The odd one out is the Dario Argento reference. Did he make any zombie movies?

You can drink coffee or take trucker pills or stuff like that. The descriptions of items should tell you.

Energy drinks are the most plentiful and effective IMO. The most effective are the super high powered trucker pills but those are pretty uncommon.

Trigger

The thought of moving out of base with just a knife, some distraction tools (firecrackers), an empty rucksack, and sneaking through the town while zombies roam everywhere sounds like something I'd love to play it like.

Yes, you can. Takes a bit of skill to pull off though. Enemies don't appear on your mini-map until they've been alerted so a zombie could be around any corner.

Maya glitched out and decided to just follow me around and do nothing while zombies surrounded us and starting biting at her. Good thing my Marcus is a badass. Probably would've lost two characters during that routine zombie whacking mission otherwise.
You'll have to rebuild upgrades in the new base. Pretty sure the old ones at the church are gone too. It's no biggie though since you'll have no need to return. If you need more survivors have Lily put out a request. It'll generate two/three dudes randomly.

The warehouse is amazing. It's got several food locations nearby and room for lots of upgrades. Building supplies go fast though.
Says unable to contact new survivors.

Have had a bunch of those missions pop up before but kept ignoring them thinking I was doing fine with my current group. Guess they all died. :\

Need four peeps now btw,
Pastor William went and got shot by Alan due to zombieness.
Need five peeps soon probably,
Alan needs cowbell.
God dammit.

Drachma

Banned

Yeah I found some coffee and used that but I was just wondering if there was another way to get rid of the tiredness.

The only stealth vid I've seen is the 'Distraction' vid from 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pApHmrG6LY

It's possible to play that way. I've gone unnoticed clearing out a few houses by sneak attacking unaware zombies, but there are plenty of times where stealth just isn't an option, like when you're forced to defend survivors while they scavenge for supplies.

There's also times where you move up on a zombie all sneaky like and think you're going to finish a zombie off with a face crusher, but your character just shoves them away.

Personally I found running up to to zombies and dropkicking them far more enjoyable than trying to avoid them. I've heard powerhouse characters also get a suplex, but I've yet to perform it.

Jhoan

Been playing through the demo and there's only 15 minutes left (well more like 13 minutes). I've been enjoying it immensely. It reminds me of Dead Rising but set in a suburban/rural area, micromanagement, and sneaking with no loading screens but a ton of texture pop up. The combat is pretty satisfying as well.

The physics are also somewhat wonky but nothing game breaking. I'm extremely tempted to unlock the full game but I have a feeling that it'll be on sale in a few months for 800MSP.

The odd one out is the Dario Argento reference. Did he make any zombie movies?

He was a producer on and responsible for the Euro cut of Dawn of the Dead (Zombie), which ditched the black humor and goofiness of the original American version, featured a fuller Goblin soundtrack, and better-matched the grim horror feel of the original NotLD. He also produced and co-wrote Demons and Demons 2 directed by Mario Bava's son, Lamberto Bava.

They really need to announcement regarding the PC release date. I tried to dig my 360 out of storage, and could only find the console itself, no wires or HDD. The wait is killing me.

Is finding resources through the radio unlimited?

Is there any punishment for delaying story missions?

Im at 13 survivors at the warehouse, should i push forward story wise to get a good survivor?

They really need to announcement regarding the PC release date. I tried to dig my 360 out of storage, and could only find the console itself, no wires or HDD. The wait is killing me.
When was the last time MS announced the date of a PC version of a bigger X360 game at or near release? I'm sure it will be a little while before they do. After all, they don't want to slow down the XBLA version sales with people waiting for an imminent PC release.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This game. This fucking game.

I'm hooked. It's brilliant. Scavenging at night is scary as shit. Fuck I love this game.

A few questions though since I'm unsure of a few things. Are outposts mostly for just having buildings where you can drop off supplies ? Or are they unique to that outpost ? What other uses do they have ? How many can you have ? Basically what are the benefits of outposts essentially. Also, is there a certain point where you can only move ? I
saved Lilys brothers
but at the farmhouse it only let me set up an outpost, not a new home.

After 4 - 5 hours of play I finally realised there was more than one tab in my menu for building sleeping dens etc...yeah.

Is finding resources through the radio unlimited?

Is there any punishment for delaying story missions?

Im at 13 survivors at the warehouse, should i push forward story wise to get a good survivor?

I wanna know this too.

I put off getting medicine for a day or two and didn't see a problem. but now I'm getting messages from a judge. Don't know if that's a main story mission or not. I haven't actually given what's-his-face the medicine yet. I'm afraid if I don't meet these people at the courthouse right away I'm going to miss out later.

"Better deal with this first."
*dropkicks zombie's head off*
"So, anyways."

I was left gob-smacked when this first happened. Such amazing attention to detail, it's something you rarely, if ever see in a game.

You'll be a waiting a while. They'll be aiming to maximise sales on XBLA before announcing the PC version.

Top Bottom