• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I played a couple more hours last night, really enjoying this game so much. I've had two survivors die already, depite only being a few hours in. Both deaths came while I was desperately looking for melee weapons and got blindsided by a feral (once, hilariously as I opened up a door to leave a house, the feral was standing RIGHT THERE and killed me within seconds). Now I have a workshop built it should be a bit easier to keep my weapons though.

I really love the pacing of the game, or rather, how you control the pacing. You can zip about in a car easily enough (not quite enough risk IMO, I like the alarm idea floated above), but having to get around on foot can be truly harrowing. I hid behind a building last night and watched a MASSIVE horde pass by like a drunken marching band, the atmosphere and the palpable sense of fear is incredible. Please don't come this way, please don't come this way, please don't come this way!

I wonder what the scope for updates is like on XBL, it would be cool if they could patch in some new features and shore some of the others up.

I played a couple more hours last night, really enjoying this game so much. I've had two survivors die already, depite only being a few hours in. Both deaths came while I was desperately looking for melee weapons and got blindsided by a feral (once, hilariously as I opened up a door to leave a house, the feral was standing RIGHT THERE and killed me within seconds). Now I have a workshop built it should be a bit easier to keep my weapons though.

I really love the pacing of the game, or rather, how you control the pacing. You can zip about in a car easily enough (not quite enough risk IMO, I like the alarm idea floated above), but having to get around on foot can be truly harrowing. I hid behind a building last night and watched a MASSIVE horde pass by like a drunken marching band, the atmosphere and the palpable sense of fear is incredible. Please don't come this way, please don't come this way, please don't come this way!

I wonder what the scope for updates is like on XBL, it would be cool if they could patch in some new features and shore some of the others up.
Yeah I'm doing a no cars playthrough and it's just nonstop intensity. I suggested my hotwire/alarm idea on the UL forums as well as who knows, maybe it'll gain some traction

My most intense moment so far was going to meet some friendly survivors. Four hordes roaming the same area, I had never seen so many at once in my old playthrough. Before I would have just drove through in a car. Now? Sneaking from bush to bush. The hordes passing literally right in front of me. Trying to stealth kill the stragglers.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
and got blindsided by a feral (once, hilariously as I opened up a door to leave a house, the feral was standing RIGHT THERE and killed me within seconds).

Seriously, I feel like the game plants zombies right inside the door you're about to go through so they can jump you as soon as you walk through.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Here's a trick. Stand outside the door and do a taunt. The zombies inside will usually get up and come outside.

ha! That's clever. I laughed out loud last night when I was in a bush calling to a zombie to come over so I could kill it. "Psst! Over here" lmao

still no german release ... i think ill wait for some discounts.
my excitement for this game is totally gone

Yeah, cos every week you wait after release the game gets worse, right?

Whenever it comes out, it'll be good.

I am here to reassure!

Also, what happened to your Steve Albini-esque avatar? :)

That was my actual face lol. Just excited for Armikrog kickstarter right now.

It does matter. This is how it should look:

IMG_0102.jpg

Fuck, no wonder my cars aren't being repaired! I don't have a driving license so this explains my incompetence in parking positions ;)

So Many Bullets

Neo Member
I downloaded this game yesterday. So awesome!

I made it out of the camp ground and to the church. Toured the church, then took a station wagon out to the radio tower. Plowed through a zombie horde on the way. If you get a zombie stuck on your hood mash the breaks, they fall off. Was very satisfied when I tried that and it worked.

Looted the fast food spot at the base of the tower then headed for home. Smacked in to a police car that popped in from nowhere. Station wagon is smoking now. Get home, blah blah blah, barricade some windows, go through my items.

Hey, Marcus wants to go do an ammo for food exchange out if in the middle of some field. Actually hem and haw for a good 2 minutes over whether or not I should head out there. Decide to do it.

Take my smoking station wagon out to the field. Trying to read the map, avoid the hordes and invisible police cars. Get to what looks like a small slope, decide to drive down that, because the field is below it. Holy crap it's much higher than I expected! Station wagon lands on its roof, me and Marcus fall out. We land in a patch of 4 zombies. We kill them and I broke my hatchet. Time to whip out my trusty table leg.

No car, standing on the edge of this enormous wheat field. Zombies are everywhere! We start low crawling through this field. This zombie with no arms comes running, then about 6 more join. Ok, we got a fight!

It takes everything we have to put these guys down. I'm trying to crank out an insta-kill every chance I get. I'm chugging pills and potato chips. That was a damn hard fight. Definitely killed more than seven zombies. Start low crawling again. Kill one to two zombies here and there until I get to the waypoint. Took FOREVER crawling through that field. Luckily it is still daytime.

Can see my contact swinging at zombies as we approach. We join in his fight, take out four or five more. I get a quick thank you, and just like that the exchange is over.

With the food in hand, I look back across this damn wheat field. WTF! Start low crawling again, no fighting this time. Just trying to make it to the farm house on my map. They gotta have a vehicle there I can drive, right?!

I can see a car! Only two zombies between us and this car. The hell with them, we run to the car. Please be interact-able! Please be interact-able! Thank you based game devs. The car works! We get the hell outta dodge in this Jetta looking car. Eliminate one more zombie horde on this country road and get back to the town. Took a wrong turn in the town and have to drive one more block than necessary. Make it home, drop the food in the bin. Yay, we can eat for eight more days! Bringing my food supply up to thirteen days.

Maya is tired and some zombies tried to come through the front gate. I had to turn it off there.

I'll see where this goes later this afternoon.

Trigger

This game's endgame has such a wonderful feeling of desolation. Wrecked cars everywhere and lots of places have been scraped clean. I've been balancing survivor missions and also properly scouting all the nearby buildings.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I find it tough to sneak in story missions with all the stuff going on sometimes. I haven't played for over a day. I will curious to see what happens when I come back.

I just had an awesome moment. I desperately needed medicine so I had Lilly look on the radio. Turns out the house closest to the church had supplies. So I sneak over, barricade the windows and start searching. Zombies start banging against the windows and by the time I'm done, there's at least one zombie at each window. Two break through the door and the noise alerts a horde.

And then another horde
And another
And another

So now four hordes of zombies descend on the house. I hightail it out and had back to the church. A few zombies slow me down and this large combined group is right behind me. I had to base and there must be at least 25 or zombies outside the gate

They break through. About 15 enter before the gate auto-closes. I'm up in the watch tower with a circle of zombies at the base. At least another 15 or 20 are still outside. I jump from the tower, roll, run inside my base. Zombies start pouring from the doors and windows. My group and I start fighting and we're able to kill the zombies within the walls. Maya gets onto the tower and starts shooting the zombies outside.

Once they've been thinned out, I go and kill the rest. Now a few stragglers are climbing over the back wall. Maya deals with those.

Finally after a ten minute battle, everything's quiet again.

Great stories, keep them coming. I have to get back into this hard over the weekend. I've been itching to play all week but I can't find more than 30mins here or there and that just doesn't scratch the itch.

Anyway, just under 460k y'all.

WOOO!

Great stories, keep them coming. I have to get back into this hard over the weekend. I've been itching to play all week but I can't find more than 30mins here or there and that just doesn't scratch the itch.

Anyway, just under 460k y'all.

WOOO!
I know. In a game like this, those unscripted moments are the most memorable.
If anyone has time to spare and wants to read some more awesome SoD stories, here's a link to the "Oh Shit" Moments thread on the UL Forums.

23 pages of nothing but emergent moments of utter panic
http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?17553-The-quot-Oh-Shit-quot-Moments-Thread

GlamFM

Banned
Any news on the version for Germany?

Last thing they said was that mid of this week would be the "worst case scenario".

Well....

I was playing as Sam Hoffman, because she's a "problem solver" (improved wit) so basically I wanted her to be Wit level 7 as a Ninja. As a ninja, it's all silent searching.

Do some manual resource gathering as her to get Wit leveled up. Get near the bridge area with the water underneath. I had completely forgot this was where the Juggernaut was! I completely freak my shit out and end up kamikaze jumping over the cliff hoping the water below somehow would soften my blow. Nope, get hurt A LOT with serious wounds, and then get grabbed by Juggernaut who bashes the shit out of me L4D-style. I die! She felt like a leader type, so it was a massive blow. Have a mournful goodbye moment.

I only have 1 "problem solver" left to make him become a Ninja. I don't want Marcus to be the only ninja as I have a feeling I'll lose him soon. I desperately need to make more ninjas...

You have no idea how powerful a skill like silent searching is. Can be a life saver if you don't want to attract a horde.

Trigger

I wish skills like the Ninja perk affected how well npcs could do scavenging on their own. I also wish I could tell them what to look for. It's a waste for them to be prowling around fast food joints when we have more food than you can shake a leg at.

I really wish there was more of a risk to using cars. I know many have been asking for fuel but personally I don't see any easy or practical ways of adding that mechanic to the game without totally changing the finely-tuned gameplay. My suggestion would be easier to implement and be linked directly to the character skills and community management

My suggestion would be to implement hot-wiring and an alarm/disabled risk to using a car. These three variables would be linked and be determined by a character's skills like wit, research, and traits (so a criminal background would have an increased chance of success at hot-wiring). Some characters wouldn't be able to hotwire at all.

This system could use the exactly same mechanic as searching. The exact same style, just with the word "Hotwiring" instead of "Searching". You could either do it slowly or could speed up the process, but that would noisier and at a greater risk of either setting off the alarm or disabling the car. If the alarm goes off, the car is still driveable but the alarm have the largest noise radius in the game and would stay on until a character with the necessary skills could turn it off. Even if the character exited the car, the alarm would stay on for a period of time. If a car is disabled, only a character with a mechanic skill or high research could fix it. The cars in your parking spots would have the alarms disabled and wouldn't have to be hot-wired

I feel this is much easier to implement than fuel tanks or siphoning fuel and it would be directly linked with characters and your community. Maybe your best combat character has low wit (more likely to set off alarms or disable a vehicle) or can't hotwire at all. You would also have to selective about what cars to save in your parking spots

What do you think?

I hope that the MMO allows you to find, upgrade, and maintain your vehicles.

Mindlog

Ugh, got the Too Many Infestations bug. Hurry up, patch!!! One more survivor and I can move to the warehouse!
I drove the entire available map trying to track down Infestations. They ended up all being north of the Church stretching back to the Ranger Station. In the meantime I'm down to 7 survivors. As soon as I get those numbers back up I'm moving to Snyder. I already have outposts set up around that location.

Trigger

I'm taking a survivor up with me to the ranger station to see if it's infested and clear it out. My hope is that if I clear the area the infestation won't spawn there again (since I mostly operate in the Marshall area near the warehouse).

one of the survivors, dakota is his name, keeps getting into trouble and I keep on having to find and rescue him. I'm considering letting him die somewhere. I'm still experiencing the no missions glitch which is unfortunate. luckily, I have plenty of food and meds for the group. too bad you can't order people to ration shit like ammo. my group spends ammo like we have an infinite ammo cheat on. btw, I cleared out 4 infestations as ed last night. all 4 were in the same block so I kept busy for a while.

eshwaaz

I drove the entire available map trying to track down Infestations. They ended up all being north of the Church stretching back to the Ranger Station. In the meantime I'm down to 7 survivors. As soon as I get those numbers back up I'm moving to Snyder. I already have outposts set up around that location.
That's a really good idea. Maybe I'll still boot it up tonight and prep the area around the warehouse before moving in.

I cleared out all of the infestations in the Ranger Station area, but I'm still getting the alert.

Damn I wanna play again, been busy as shit and haven't had a chance in the last week. Finally got a day off tomorrow and might end up blowing off some plans to sit inside and play vidja games all day lol.

Damn I feel like an asshole...but I had to survive.

I'm doing my no cars playthrough and was heading over to rescue Jacob. Along the way, I came across a scavenger Anna holed up in the McCready farmhouse. So I agree to help her for half her supplies. But by this point, both melee weapons were yellow and I only had a few bullets left. As we begin gathering supplies, a horde shows up. They breach the fence and come over the wall. I use my last few bullets to take out a few that were attacking Anna. We fight together and attempt to gather supplies

But our fighting only attracted more and soon at least thirty zombies were within the walls. I hear Anna screaming. I peek out the window and most of those 30 have surrounded her, clawing at her. I have no more painkillers and only three zombies are approaching.

I can try and help or I can run. She would be my distraction. It takes a minute for me to decide. Then I turn and climb over the wall. I crouch in the bushes. It's night now and Anna calls for help on last time on the radio. Then silence.

I leave the farmhouse behind, heading for Jacob. I am alive, but at a great cost.

Trigger

Picked up more survivors. I'll be at 30 soon if I keep the pace up.

The Trigger Anti-Zed Militia is growing! :D

Are there any more missions for Santos, after the car delivery one?

No. Santos exists purely to help cars respawn in the extremely unlikely event you destroy all the cars on the map.

Picked up more survivors. I'll be at 30 soon if I keep the pace up.

The Trigger Anti-Zed Militia is growing! :D.

30? Damn.

I'm currently on 17, but haven't checked in today so who knows what my current count is.

By the way, thanks for the link More_Badass. Really enjoyed reading the various stories, unsurprisingly, a lot of them mirror my own stories. The one of hiding in the bushes from a horde instantly comes to mind.

Mafro

So Marcus, my strongest character, has just vanished. Not present in the character list, no journal notes or anything. I think after that and the infestation glitch I'm just going to wait until after the patch and start a new game.

desertdroog

Traded in some games to pay off Last of Us, had credit at the store so I turned around and bought enough points to download this game.

I'm leaving for California tomorrow and won't be back until next week... Man, at least I am prepped for summer fun!

Here's hoping the team and Undead Labs get's enough sold to add the stuff they want to this release.

Shifty76

So Marcus, my strongest character, has just vanished. Not present in the character list, no journal notes or anything. I think after that and the infestation glitch I'm just going to wait until after the patch and start a new game.

After completing the game once without coming close to losing a character I think I'm going to switch up the rules a bit for my next go:

1) No cars - they make the game way too easy.
2) Start with nothing. No weapons, no backpack, NOTHING.
3) One character only - no switching out once he/she gets tired. Coffee and trucker pills all the way.
4) Only ever visiting home base to complete quests, no resting up or taking stuff from the storage locker.

Pretty sure I'll end up wiping before I even make it to the church, but curious to see how far I get.

So Many Bullets

Neo Member
How much downtime does a character need to recover from "Tired" status?

Can I recover in game, with my character in the HQ, or do I need to log out?

Are weapons/items ever on the ground or is everything found by searching (holding Y on an object)?

Trigger

How much downtime does a character need to recover from "Tired" status?

Can I recover in game, with my character in the HQ, or do I need to log out?

My tired characters usually recover around a day in game. I'm not sure how much that's impacted by the facilities I have. You don't need to log out.

Are weapons/items ever on the ground or is everything found by searching (holding Y on an object)?

Always in a container.

I thought coming back to the game after 2 days would leave me in a bad situation, but it was perfectly fine so it's definitely more manageable than I expected. I'm close to making my Karen a ninja, she's at Wit level 6.

I realized that bringing back guns nets you a lot of influence, so like in one run I'd go from 20 influence to 300.

Despite the glitches, the devs really seem to be interacting quite well and asking for problems and such from the community on their forums. It is always a nice thing to see from a developer.

charsace

I had a glitch and had to start over. I'm convinced that the heavy weapons are the best melee weapons. Just too bad that only the power characters are suited to carry them.

Awesome game. Worst ending ever. It couldn't possibly be more anticlimactic.

The ending was perfect for this game imo. The game never got too fantastical with the scenarios and the world is pretty grim. Also sets up a sequel.

Con_Smith

Banned
I recently restarted my playthrough and this game man. Did the mission where you hold up in the house with the rednecks and the doc and basically survive a massive zombie horde. I didn't know that it was gonna go down like that so I packed really light and I'll be damned if the tension didn't get heavy, not to mention the guy told me they had more moltovs and ammo yet their cahce was completely empty.

With two bottles of pills and a bag of chips I fought on and managed to get through it finally ending with me with just my bare fist high kicking fools and boarding windows. My heart raced when the big boys came to fuck shit up but I made it. Then came that scene with otto and...damn.

Question for you guys though; it feel like every time I want to go scavenging missions pop up and I'm told to hurry or it's too late. Am I really being timed there or can I take my time to search the surrounding houses near the church? I know the world is persistant but damn I want to explore the world too and sneak attack some zeds! Also please tell me I can get a better fortified area, because the church is way to small and I seem to be picking up survivors like crazy. Also how do you expand your home base cache? I seem to be running out of space and wasting resources from scavenging.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Just finished...sad its over. So I hear theres a patch coming? Guess i'll wait until thats up before I start my replay. Also just looked at gamerankings reviews. Surprised its sub 80. Insanity IMO.

Top Bottom