• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Shifty76

Had a couple of missions right next to eachother last night:

First one was to hunt down an armoured zed. Easy.

Second one was to clear a screamer infestation. Not so easy.

Figured I'd hit up the hunt one first just to pick up an extra body so I could go clear the infestation easier then would go after the armoured zed.

Tried luring the zeds out of the infested house with an alarm clock, but that only attracted a couple of them so cautiously entered with my buddy in tow.

Dropped a couple more zeds with my silenced G-17 then a screamer I hadn't noticed in the corner let rip and the room was suddenly swarming with zeds. Started knocking em down then got the message about successfully killing the armoured zed.

Thinking it was weird that I was all of a sudden surrounded on all sides I looked to see where my buddy had gotten to, but I guess he bailed on me the second the hunt was complete, leaving me to fend off the entire infestation on my own. Bastard! Remind me to hunt him down and kick him in the...

Anyway, very low on health and out of stamina, with no meds or stims left I eventually managed to clear a path to a window and launched myself through it and stumbled into some nearby bushes to hide and recover. That infestation clearing will have to wait for another day...

I was jut going to ask: has anyone dreamed up any 'hardcore' rules, apart from not using cars? The game is a little too easy, doesn't really feel like anything has gone horribly wrong (so far I've lost one survivor to non-story events
assuming Pastor Will and then Alan being put out of their misery because of the black fever are story events
, and only because he was an idiot).

tw1164

I'm embarrassed to say, I turned off my Xbox to avoid losing Marcus. I was cleaning out an infection, and got jumped by a hoard. Marcus got knocked to the ground and was getting the shit kicked out of him.

I was jut going to ask: has anyone dreamed up any 'hardcore' rules, apart from not using cars? The game is a little too easy, doesn't really feel like anything has gone horribly wrong (so far I've lost one survivor to non-story events
assuming Pastor Will and then Alan being put out of their misery because of the black fever are story events
, and only because he was an idiot).

Personal rule set. I shudder at what a "hard" mode would actually feel like in this game.

I like the idea of a personal rule set. We should absolutely create our own hardcore rule-set.

No vehicles, as someone suggested, would be a good baseline. Any other suggestions? Can only use certain weapons? Limited amount of painkillers, etc?

I'm embarrassed to say, I turned off my Xbox to avoid losing Marcus. I was cleaning out an infection, and got jumped by a hoard. Marcus got knocked to the ground and was getting the shit kicked out of him.

Hehe.

Y'know, I would probably do the same if Marcus were in danger of dying.

Shifty76

I like the idea of a personal rule set. We should absolutely create our own hardcore rule-set.

No vehicles, as someone suggested, would be a good baseline. Any other suggestions? Can only use certain weapons? Limited amount of painkillers, etc?

Hehe.

Y'know, I would probably do the same if Marcus were in danger of dying.

I posted the one I'm running a couple of pages back. It's intense!

1) No cars - they make the game way too easy.
2) Start with nothing. No weapons, no backpack, NOTHING.
3) One character only - no switching out once he/she gets tired. Coffee and trucker pills all the way.
4) Only ever visiting home base to complete quests, no resting up or taking stuff from the storage locker.

PhatSaqs

Banned

lmao. I thought about it but watched it happen. It hurt.

Trigger

I'd never quit the game if someone died (even Marcus and Maya). The threat of danger is what gives it TWD vibes.

3) One character only - no switching out once he/she gets tired. Coffee and trucker pills all the way.
4) Only ever visiting home base to complete quests, no resting up or taking stuff from the storage locker.

Is that possible? What's the inventory situation like in such a run through? Two spaces? I could never part with my large back packs.

Sounds brutal. I think I'll be playing by these rules during my second playthrough.

lmao. I thought about it but watched it happen. It hurt.

Watching them being torn apart really is quite brutal. I thought it was funny when I was watched it happen in the IGN let's play, but it's not funny when you're emotionally invested with those characters who might suffer the same fate any given moment.

Shifty76

I'd never quit the game if someone died (even Marcus and Maya). The threat of danger is what gives it TWD vibes.

Is that possible? What's the inventory situation like in such a run through? Two spaces? I could never part with my large back packs.

Four slots. Obtaining a pack was objective #1 ;)

bidguy

Banned
played for a few hours now but i dont know how people die in this game. i got to the church and made a few missions but so far its been a cakewalk. does it get harder ?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You haven't met the freaks. Do some more story missions, and you'll get a challenge.

Yeah, both of my deaths so far have been from ferals, the BASTARDS.

Just had a great session - was looking for the survivors that the army scared off, and there were several houses marked on the map as needing to search. I was just explaining to my wife about the tension in the game, and how you can be lulled into a false sense of security when BAM I get surrounded on all sides by at least 10 zeds.

I'm freaking out, maya is my last 'playable' character and I've kept her for ages so I'm just swinging and trying to get lucky with some power moves. No, they knock me to the floor and I am SO CLOSE to death that I almost put the controller down thinking its done.

But then, an opportunity! Maya is up on her feet, I see a gap in the bodies and I leg it, jumping out of a window and running away as fast as I can. Which is not very since my stamina is worn down. Some toilets are just across the street so I make a bee-line and jump onto the roof for a breather. All around there are at least a dozen zeds all clawing at the building, but I jump off the top, over a high wall and leave them all in my dust, getting back to the church ASAP.

Was fucking amazing.

I went back out immediately and found the dudes in the same toilet I was resting on. And BOTH of them are playable, hell yes.

GOTY, hands down.

Yep, the early moments of the game are very misleading. It's only when the freaks are introduced that it becomes a lot more challenging. There's also having to resource management as you take in more survivors...

Trigger

I went back out immediately and found the dudes in the same toilet I was resting on. And BOTH of them are playable, hell yes.

They're awesome. I've kept both of them since I saved them. Funny inconsistency though: when I saved them they were speaking with high-pitched southern accents, but when I actually used them they lost the accents and speak in deeper voices.

Trigger

I need to find more ammo supplies. Other than the police station is there any other obvious locations?

I take it you've hit up both gun shops in Spencer's Mill and Marshall? The houses near the police station spawn guns and ammo too occasionally. Oh, and advance the main plot some too. It opens up a few locations with ammo caches in the north. The shooting platform and dojo upgrades also allow you to trade training for ammo.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I take it you've hit up both gun shops in Spencer's Mill and Marshall? The houses near the police station spawn guns and ammo too occasionally. Oh, and advance the main plot some too. It opens up a few locations with ammo caches in the north. The shooting platform and dojo upgrades also allow you to trade training for ammo.

Yeah, I started to do the dojo stuff, which is cool. Don't think I have hit the Marshall gun shop and Spencer's Mill yet surprisingly.

OrangeOak

I just moved in to the warehouse.Whole process of carefully choosing new home was amazing.I don't know if I choosed good place but for now I'm happy.Close to the supplies and lots of room.
Now if there was only an option to ask ai to drive the cars from one place to another because I have like 10 cars parked in front of the church.

Update from dev team.

Time to swing into the daily roundup! You know how it starts. Read the FAQ. http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?541-Faq (The FAQ hasn't changed since yesterday, but if I had new info on PC/co-op? I would have put it there first.)

(TL;DR) We do not yet have a PC launch date. Work continues apace.

So about co-op: We can't get started until we have a greenlight/a contract. Our publisher owns the IP. They are crazy busy with E3. There's just no way I'm going to hear anything about coop either way until E3 is over and everyone has dug out their email boxes.

Progress on the first title update! It is winding its way through the certification process. I may know something about the date you'll have it tomorrow. Notes: http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?18672-Title-Update-1-submitted

But since we're done with the first one, we've started working on the second one. I don't have all the notes yet, but one of the incoming fixes is to the "eternal load" problem. Thanks to our community for helping to solve it.

On that note, if you have a large number of NPCs, you may want to stop adding any more people to your community until Title Update 2 hits. We don't have an EXACT number that triggers the save bug (too many factors), but we recommend staying around the low 20s.

Australia/NZ: No new information from yesterday. :/ We're giving the AUS review board what they want, but we can only hurry on *our* end.

South Africa! One of your own untangled the miscommunication between Microsoft and your review board. You are now in the pipeline! Lara, we love you. Unshockingly, I don't have a release date yet. We're pushing for "ASAP."

See you tomorrow :)

Trigger

On that note, if you have a large number of NPCs, you may want to stop adding any more people to your community until Title Update 2 hits. We don't have an EXACT number that triggers the save bug (too many factors), but we recommend staying around the low 20s.

I have 31 peeps. I didn't even realize there was a save bug.
nULmZ.png

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
this isnt an online game at all is it? i am getting ready to have my gold expire and was hoping not to miss stuff.

DedValve

Banned
So yeah....I haven't progressed at all...what the hell?

I still did the water mission and thats it. I know I'm near the end. I think my game just isn't giving me any more story missions. 3 days now...

Also if I choose a different save location, such as my flashdrive rather than harddrive could I start a new game there without it interrupting my current game?

Karak

I was asked by a user what my favorite home was so I made a youtube video with a couple reasons why and why I didn't chose some of the others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMxKGpro0Gs

I just moved in to the warehouse.Whole process of carefully choosing new home was amazing.I don't know if I choosed good place but for now I'm happy.Close to the supplies and lots of room.
Now if there was only an option to ask ai to drive the cars from one place to another because I have like 10 cars parked in front of the church.
They all have some kind of positive and negative to be honest. The Farmhouse is my least favorite but the warehouse is ok.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I was asked by a user what my favorite home was so I made a youtube video with a couple reasons why and why I didn't chose some of the others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMxKGpro0Gs

They all have some kind of positive and negative to be honest. The Farmhouse is my least favorite but the warehouse is ok.

I chose that huge warehouse on the south-west corner of the map. It's a pain in the arse to get to the supply locker unless you use the northernmost entrance. Haven't really had a horde attack yet so I can't really comment on how it fares defensively.

GavinGT

Banned
Man, were my first impressions ever off. After you decipher the various systems and begin to understand what's possible, this game really gets its hooks into you. This might be one of my favorite games.....ever.

Sorry, I need to check. This IP is owned by MS?

That's what it sounds like. MS is the publisher and Undead are saying the publisher owns the IP...

Raises an interesting question, does this mean there's been a shift within MS to grab IP rights for games they are publishing or did the just see the potential of this IP and decided to grab it.

It's worse when you're playing as Marcus and you come home after a hard days scavaging to find Maya is dying... and you have to take her to an isolated place and... I don't want to talk about it. It's too soon.

Oh shit. I'm glad I didn't have to do that, she died a soldiers death in my game, went dow fighting off a horde and a goddamn feral.

Vengeance was had tho, but it didn't help to get over her death.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit. I'm glad I didn't have to do that, she died a soldiers death in my game, went dow fighting off a horde and a goddamn feral.

Vengeance was had tho, but it didn't help to get over her death.

Very rarely a game hits me the way that did. Great gaming moment, bravo, UL.

At least, in some far off alternative Xbox, I can be safe in the knowledge that she died the way she deserved.

BigBoss-Salute.jpg

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Any idea when the update is meant to hit? I will enjoy this a hell of a lot more when my morale isn't dropping from infestations I can't find. Had Marcus go missing earlier and scared the hell out of me.

I chose that huge warehouse on the south-west corner of the map. It's a pain in the arse to get to the supply locker unless you use the northernmost entrance. Haven't really had a horde attack yet so I can't really comment on how it fares defensively.
The Warehouse is overpowered, basically. I can't remember any zombies ever getting into it, it's got loads of room, there are great sites nearby (including lots of materials and a gun shop for ammo), and once you're set up with a garden, it more or less looks after itself. Also, four parking spots.

And you can use the supply lockers in your outposts for everything except dropping off resources.

Trigger

Focus Aim and Ninja are the best skills.

Sounds like you need to send a few off into the zed ridden world. Out of interest, what happens when you demand someone leave?

You lose some morale and the exile calls you an asshole. lol, unfortunately I now have him listed as "missing" in my journal.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if you're agreeing or asking about it, but yeah it's awesome

It drains stamina but when a horde is rushing you or a feral is coming and you throw out a firebomb then get six headshots in row in slow motion...it's worth it

I was asking in my own way :). Cool, nice one. I nearly had Focus Aiming with... M-Ma--with her.

Top Bottom