• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Kydd BlaZe

Not with all the bugs and technical issues it has. It is a great game but let's not forget that it has some serious issues.
Yeah, this game has some serious flaws, but it is really great addictive fun.

There is massive potential for the next gen MMO sequel (Class 4). I am so glad that this game is a hit.

Still glad to see this doing so well. People at work keep telling me their stories of their adventures :D Glad to have done my part and spread the word!

This janky, ugly ass, pop-in riddled, clippy-ass $20 1.7 Gb mess of a game is way more fun than TLoU. There, I said it.

I love this game. The moments when you escape a battle with your favorite character and a sliver of health left are hair raising.

Lima

This janky, ugly ass, pop-in riddled, clippy-ass $20 1.7 Gb mess of a game is way more fun than TLoU. There, I said it.

You are only spreading the truth. TLoU is definitely a more polished cinematic experience but talking pure gameplay? State of Decay shits all over it.

iMarkyP

Neo Member
Damn I feel like an asshole...but I had to survive.

I'm doing my no cars playthrough and was heading over to rescue Jacob. Along the way, I came across a scavenger Anna holed up in the McCready farmhouse. So I agree to help her for half her supplies. But by this point, both melee weapons were yellow and I only had a few bullets left. As we begin gathering supplies, a horde shows up. They breach the fence and come over the wall. I use my last few bullets to take out a few that were attacking Anna. We fight together and attempt to gather supplies

But our fighting only attracted more and soon at least thirty zombies were within the walls. I hear Anna screaming. I peek out the window and most of those 30 have surrounded her, clawing at her. I have no more painkillers and only three zombies are approaching.

I can try and help or I can run. She would be my distraction. It takes a minute for me to decide. Then I turn and climb over the wall. I crouch in the bushes. It's night now and Anna calls for help on last time on the radio. Then silence.

I leave the farmhouse behind, heading for Jacob. I am alive, but at a great cost.

LOVE IT. This is why I am enjoying the game so much, we can make our own random adventures.

I've yet to play TLoU, but I have a feeling this will be my opinion too. I'm really liking everything I've seen and heard about TLoU, but this game in on a whole other level in terms of gameplay. Time will tell though, I may fall in love with TLoU just as much as I've fallen in love with this, which would be incredible as this game is the game I've dreamt out since first playing Dead Rising 1 almost 8 years ago.

I said it another thread, but SoD has changed the zombie genre for me. I can't see myself playing any future zed game and not comparing it to this. It's just impossible. The bar has been raised and significantly so. Let's see if any other developers can match or even blow past it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've yet to play TLoU, but I have a feeling this will be my opinion too. I'm really liking everything I've seen and heard about TLoU, but this game in on a whole other level in terms of gameplay. Time will tell though, I may fall in love with TLoU just as much as I've fallen in love with this, which would be incredible as this game is the game I've dreamt out since first playing Dead Rising 1 almost 8 years ago.

I said it another thread, but SoD has changed the zombie genre for me. I can't see myself playing any future zed game and not comparing it to this. It's just impossible. The bar has been raised and significantly so. Let's see if any other developers can match or even blow past it.

I agree, this is literally the zombie game I've been waiting my whole life for. Just shooting things and nabbing collectibles isn't going to be enough any more. I really can't wait to see how UL can build on the solid foundation they've made next gen. More complex environments, more systems to interact with, more survivors. Oh god I'm getting excited again.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, this is literally the zombie game I've been waiting my whole life for. Just shooting things and nabbing collectibles isn't going to be enough any more. I really can't wait to see how UL can build on the solid foundation they've made next gen. More complex environments, more systems to interact with, more survivors. Oh god I'm getting excited again.

Gud dog. You took the words right out of my fingers/mouth/whatever.

It is literally 3/4 of the zombie game I've wanted to play, but it's also ugly and repetitive and clunky and runs like ass.

Still one of the better things I've played this year, and capable of emergent moments of magic.

Same. I never thought an open world zombie apocalypse game with dangerous zombies and community management would become reality and now I'm playing it. It's those random unscripted moments that just any other zombie game out of the water. It might be average on the technical side, but the gameplay is AAA quality and the tension is unmatched

Now if someone makes a third person open world "Skate"-style parkour game (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586771), all my gaming dreams will be satisfied

Novak

How replayable is the game? Are there different endings?
I played trial up until getting to the church. So far it seems i have to follow predetermined l main quest line.

Trigger

Question for you guys though; it feel like every time I want to go scavenging missions pop up and I'm told to hurry or it's too late. Am I really being timed there or can I take my time to search the surrounding houses near the church? I know the world is persistant but damn I want to explore the world too and sneak attack some zeds! Also please tell me I can get a better fortified area, because the church is way to small and I seem to be picking up survivors like crazy. Also how do you expand your home base cache? I seem to be running out of space and wasting resources from scavenging.

You are being timed. Missions will have unfavorable endings if you wait too long. There are better bases than the church. There's a story mission where you'll be shown two of them. Base storage can be increased through upgrades, but I don't think that's possible with the church. Try not to over scavenge until you leave the base.

How replayable is the game? Are there different endings?
I played trial up until getting to the church. So far it seems i have to follow predetermined l main quest line.

There are many random elements, so your bound to have different experiences on replays, and the game has a few missions where you can make a choice. However there's only one ending and the main quest line has a predetermined path.

I love this game. The moments when you escape a battle with your favorite character and a sliver of health left are hair raising.

The Last of Us is out? Completely forgot. I already thought of that as a less tense I Am Alive, but then State of Decay came and I forgot all about everything else.

The Last of Us is out? Completely forgot. I already thought of that as a less tense I Am Alive, but then State of Decay came and I forgot all about everything else.

Don't want to derail the thread, but TLOU a "less tense I Am Alive"? If anything, it's everything IAA wanted to be. The level of tension and sense of survival is immense. You really feel like you're struggling to stay alive when you only have three bullets, no health packs, and you're being hunted.

And the story/narrative just obliterates IAA
----

Okay back on topic: Yes, SoD has tons of replayability. Characters are randomized and events that happen are randomized as well. But the game's really about the journey. It's those unscripted random emergent moments that make the game

Don't want to derail the thread, but TLOU a "less tense I Am Alive"? If anything, it's everything IAA wanted to be. The level of tension and sense of survival is immense. You really feel like you're struggling to stay alive when you only have three bullets, no health packs, and you're being hunted.

And the story/narrative just obliterates IAA

Sounds better than the footage they showed a while ago which looked like Uncharted with less bullets. One question before I stop derailing, what's the ratio of zombies/fungi/whatever to humans?

Microsoft needs to lock the MMO successor to this game up ASAP. This is probably one of the most fun games I have ever played. Warts and all, this game is still magnificent.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft needs to lock the MMO successor to this game up ASAP. This is probably one of the most fun games I have ever played. Warts and all, this game is still magnificent.

It really is a testament to the quality of the gameplay that most people simply ignore the jankery and still have them some fun.

Novak

There are many random elements, so your bound to have different experiences on replays, and the game has a few missions where you can make a choice. However there's only one ending and the main quest line has a predetermined path.

Cool.
Is loot always the same or random in every replay?

I bought ms points yesterday. Cant wait to play it. What i saw and read so far this could be my dream game. I hope for next-gen sequel soon. Maybe they could use that infinite cloud stuff they brag about and make some big persistent world.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Cool.

I bought ms points yesterday. Cant wait to play it. What i saw and read so far this could be my dream game. I hope for next-gen sequel soon. Maybe they could use that infinite cloud stuff they brag about and make some big persistent world.

Random, as are the characters you get once you get to the church.

Sounds better than the footage they showed a while ago which looked like Uncharted with less bullets. One question before I stop derailing, what's the ratio of zombies/fungi/whatever to humans?
I'd say 60/40 humans to infected. The infected are not the focus. And unlike a game like RE4, stealth is always preferable to combat, especially when some of the infected are attracted by sound and can one-hit kill

And the human AI is clever and smart. They'll flank you, they'll run away if they're unarmed and you have a gun, they'll react to an empty gun click or a human shield.
Here's an example:
"Was doing a stealthy scenario. Mucked it up a bit. Got alerted. They started to spread out in smaller groups. All going together. Took a hostage, and had a group under control due to this.
Until I realized some motherfucker had split off from the group once I revealed my hostage, gone around the entire area, and snuck up on me from behind."

Trigger

I don't want that MMO until they make a bigger budgeted SoD sequel.

Cool.

Random with predictability. For example, the gun shop will usually have a few guns there, but what guns or ammo appear is random.

I'd say 60/40 humans to infected. The infected are not the focus. And unlike a game like RE4, stealth is always preferable to combat, especially when some of the infected are attracted by sound and can one-hit kill

And the human AI is clever and smart. They'll flank you, they'll run away if they're unarmed and you have a gun, they'll react to an empty gun click or a human shield.
Here's an example:
"Was doing a stealthy scenario. Mucked it up a bit. Got alerted. They started to spread out in smaller groups. All going together. Took a hostage, and had a group under control due to this.
Until I realized some motherfucker had split off from the group once I revealed my hostage, gone around the entire area, and snuck up on me from behind."

Cool to know :)

Finished it yesterday with about 5.5k zombie kills. I actually didn't really explore much of the map, just concentrated on the areas my bases were (church and warehouse).

Ending was shit, lol. Would haved loved some more fleshed out quests and story development, not sure I got to see or do all the game has to offer though.

Are the survivors near the church and near the field the only ones you interact with at length aside from "save me"?

Trigger

Are the survivors near the church and near the field the only ones you interact with at length aside from "save me"?

Well there are the side quest survivor groups (the Granges, the Courthouse, the Wilkinsons), but that's it. The game randomly spawns a survivor group in some areas, but you can only ever do besiege missions for them it seems.

So for 3 or 4 days now I have tried to play the game and get no story missions at all. I cannot progress. I really hope this isn't some game crashing bug, I am not starting over. I'm in the 2nd area..
the sheriff Carl and I guess the judge have died? and the wilkersons brokered some deal with 3 survivors and killed them..
IIRC those were my last 2 story missions

Trigger

So for 3 or 4 days now I have tried to play the game and get no story missions at all. I cannot progress. I really hope this isn't some game crashing bug, I am not starting over. I'm in the 2nd area..
the sheriff Carl and I guess the judge have died? and the wilkersons brokered some deal with 3 survivors and killed them..
IIRC those were my last 2 story missions

If' there is way to save the judge or progress past the Wilks killing off those people then I haven't found it. The army stuff is the actual main story. What was the last thing you did with them?

I'm severely disappointed with this game. It's just barely holding my attention. It reminds me of last-generation Grant Theft Auto games, but worse. The pop-up is so bad that I sometimes drive into objects that haven't even appeared on my screen yet. Once you've played the game for an hour or so, you've seen everything it has to offer. On top of that there's masses of technical problems, glitches, freeze ups, no co-op (which was a no brainer for this game)...I wouldn't give it higher than a 5 or 6 out of 10.

Does anyone know how characters tend to go missing?

My main guy went missing and I luckily found him after searching desperately for him and investing into survivor searches.

Want to avoid having to do that again though.

Do you guys know of great home locations? I'm at Alamo right now. Seems terrible from a defense standpoint at least structurally but its right in the middle of where I want to be and I can set outposts near it real easy.

Just in case anyone else hits a spot where story missions never seem to start going again, if you have any open slots for outposts, fill them up. I just set up 2 more and immediately after setting up the last one, another Army mission started. Must be another bug.

Oh man. I'm searching for a missing member of my enclave in some suburban houses as night falls. Everything has gone deathly quiet; I only have a few straggling zombies to club and bludgeon as I make my way through the empty houses. The last of the evening light catches in a broken window pane and then it's gone. Darkness takes over. I creep through the third and last house where my friend could be, but there's still no sign. That only leaves the shed in the back garden. I busy myself rummaging through the last book shelf before I head back out into the eerie stillness.

Then I catch a flicker of movement passing through the doorway beside me. My friend? No, a fucking bloater, stumbling towards the fridge, unaware that I am squatting just a few feet away. I plow a bullet into its back and then scamper out the kitchen door, slamming it shut to trap the fumes inside.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

My main guy went missing and I luckily found him after searching desperately for him and investing into survivor searches.

Want to avoid having to do that again though.

Do you guys know of great home locations? I'm at Alamo right now. Seems terrible from a defense standpoint at least structurally but its right in the middle of where I want to be and I can set outposts near it real easy.

If there are Too Many Infestations or Hordes around it increases the chances of your characters going missing whilst on their AI instigated missions. Unfortunately, due to an oversight on UL's part, the game calculates every Infestation/Horde on the map. Panic not, there will be a patch out soon to fix that.

jacobs34

Any news on when the Patch is coming out? I've played a couple of hours of the game, but I'm afraid to get too deep in the game and experience some of the nastier bugs, especially when I have a lot of survivors on board.

Trigger

Hordes and infestations. Low morale can also cause people to go missing.

The warehouse full stop. Most space for facilities and you can lay down enough outposts to have a pretty large protected space. Even for small groups it's a good location.

DedValve

Banned
That moment when you realize the local town is just Xs now and you finally need to move.

the moment when you find this abandoned warehouse that under normal circumstances would be unlivable but in an apocalypse is a haven.

I had a rick grimes epiphany moment when I started planning how to move there. My god that warehouse is overpowered though. The game lost almost all difficulty after that. I'll avoid it next play through for sure.

I'm near the end, my last mission was
don't drink the water
but its been 2 days and I haven't gotten any story missions. I just spend my time helping survivors which is great and all but I really want to see this through and start my own super hardcore play through. I've lost survivors but I've yet to due once myself. Came damn near close a few dozen times.

I'm severely disappointed with this game. It's just barely holding my attention. It reminds me of last-generation Grant Theft Auto games, but worse. The pop-up is so bad that I sometimes drive into objects that haven't even appeared on my screen yet. Once you've played the game for an hour or so, you've seen everything it has to offer. On top of that there's masses of technical problems, glitches, freeze ups, no co-op (which was a no brainer for this game)...I wouldn't give it higher than a 5 or 6 out of 10.

It's obviously not going to be to everyone's taste and the jank and various issues are certainly a barrier for some people, but don't give up...

The game is so much more than its issues, the level of detail to the game world, the resource management, survivor management, exploration, the relationship you develop with characters are all simply incredible and the story, while not great is decent enough to keep your attention for the most part.

It's really about your personal experience with the game. Your special encounters with zeds, survivors, etc. The encounters that you can't help but share with others.

Trigger

what happens if you don't do the missing survivor missions? Do they die?

Sometimes. If you leave the game session with low supplies and moral then they will perish. You leave with high morale and fully stocked and they'll turn up on their own. The missions have never expired on me during a session so you have plenty of time.

Sometimes. If you leave the game session with low supplies and moral then they will perish. You leave with high morale and fully stocked and they'll turn up on their own. The missions have never expired on me during a session so you have plenty of time.

Yeah, they don't expire if you're playing but I have noticed that the survivor will make their own way home or will be rescued by another survivor.

The hunting missions do expire tho, not sure if that's a bug. You get negative rep if you allow them to expire.

Top Bottom