• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

if you're finding this game too easy there are things you can do to make it more challenging for yourself: limit your load out, don't use firearms or melee weapons, don't use vehicles, don't upgrade your base, hell if you lose your main guys nothings stopping you from starting over.

Personally I think it's the perfect difficulty for me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was too hard for a lot of more casual gamers.

Man, I don't know why, but I thought the sandbox mode was just going to be a patch to add a gameplay mode since the main story is so short. I never even thought it would be paid DLC. Oh well, I got my $20 worth and enjoyed the shit out of it. Won't pay for the same map, just a new mode.

Slayven

Man, I don't know why, but I thought the sandbox mode was just going to be a patch to add a gameplay mode since the main story is so short. I never even thought it would be paid DLC. Oh well, I got my $20 worth and enjoyed the shit out of it. Won't pay for the same map, just a new mode.

They released new info on it?

They released new info on it?

Just thought I saw something on the last page about it being up to microsoft, and having achievements means that it has to be paid DLC. Maybe I don't really understand what sandbox mode is...I thought something like "god mode", not actual DLC.

They've said the sandbox mode will be the simulation aspect of the game (base building, random events), without the story missions getting in the way. There may be more to it that that but that's the gist of it.

Anyone else honk at hordes as you drive past them? I like to think it rustles their jimmies pretty bad.
Lol me too. There are times if a random survivor acts like a dick while I'm helping them I'll wait until they start running away and slowly follow them in a car while holding the horn down. When I've summoned a shitload of Zeds I just sit back and watch the fun.
Man I'd love it if this game had a NPC reactive system in place where the survivor will freak out if you do shit like that.

mokeyjoe

I haven't played this in a few weeks (TLOU) and now I'm worried about going back to it because I've forgotten how to play it and everything's probably gone to shit in my absence anyway.

Trigger

I haven't played this in a few weeks (TLOU) and now I'm worried about going back to it because I've forgotten how to play it and everything's probably gone to shit in my absence anyway.

Naw, you're base will be fine (unless you left with things in the shitter already).

No, morale was full. I was still at the church and some guy kept going on about moving though. I'd just ignored him.
You'll probably be fine. You may have to restock on materials though.

You definitely want to do that mission and move, the church doesn't give you as many outposts or as many areas in your base to build things as some of the later homes.

My efforts at shittying things up have proven to have little effect. I'm in the Alamo with no beds, no outposts, no medical area and roughly 20 peeps, out of ammo and will be out of food soon. The only deaths have been intentional ones with the intent of getting some cheevos. Although one character got gravely ill. Should've tried letting that play out instead of running him into a big bastard.

I'm friends with everyone, as in they're all playable characters, and after the patch playable characters aren't supposed to be able to die when the game's off. So I wonder if anything bad can actually happen without me intentionally running people into hordes and whatnot.

I'm gonna go shoot at things with the grenade launcher now.
I do not recommend the grenade launcher.

Ashtar

The Game is kind of easy if you take a lot of precautions, constantly switching characters, loading up on pills and snacks, plenty ammo etc. but if you try to be a one man army you will be dealt with, when I switched to a lower level person and stretched myself too thin I definitely took some Ls. I can tell plenty of stories of near death experiences (as well as actual factual death experiences) when I broke my rules.
If you CONSTANTLY play like I did my first run through you won't run low on stuff but if you play more casually yeah you'll be hurting.

I've decided that Glibert is gonna go on a Michael Douglas adventure. He's going home and is carrying a bag of guns.
Dumping with the Uzi is great fun, until you have to reload four seconds later.

The trade idea is great but every time it comes up, it's always like trading ammo for food, when I have 50 food and 5 ammo. It just doesn't make any sense and when I turn it down I lose influence. It should let you choose what you're trading or at least give you an extra option.

Trigger

I'm surprised you can't trade food for ammo with the Wilkersons. Homies are drowning with ammo, but far from town and don't have a farm. Hell, they don't even have a proper home!

They get all their caloric intake from their moon shining operation!

Got a really weird bug right now. I have an icon on my map for missing survivor, looks like a green person with their arms out raised. When I go to the area where the person should be though, there's no one there and the icon is moving in various directions.

I think one of the worms from Tremors must be dragging this person around underground, it's the only logical explanation.

Finally, roughly 15-20 hours in, I had my first death, though it really was insignificant. I'm in Marshal, in the warehouse, 12 peeps. Just got a radio that survivors want to join. Sweet, why the eff not. Two new survivors join our crew. I decided to level one up, and took him out. Was at the farm halfway between Marshal and the starting town, on the left of the map, where there are usually suriviors (at least, near the beginning). During some genral looting and zed killing, Big ol' bastard eventually shows up, and I'm trying to take him down, but I just get ripped in half.

Not a thrilling story by any means, it was a lame death, with a total new character I put roughly 5 minutes in to. I am glad I didn't get effed like many others have. I wasn't saddened by it either, but I still quit right after he died :(

Did anyone else give in and jump to the dash board while a survivor was in a final death animation? I swore that I wouldn't, but I did. I decided early on that since Martian has an assault rifle that I'd make him my go to shooter guy. But every time he steps out of the door bad shit happens. I've always been able to keep him alive until an innocent trip up to the Wilkersons pad to get a downed survivor's rucksack turned into a nightmare.

I was loaded up with the rucksack and heading back the long drive when I flipped my car on a rock. No big deal, so I go up an embankment to the only other house on the road to get a new car. As I'm getting close, the overturned car explodes, drawing zeds out of the house from one direction, and a horde from the other. Long story short, big fight, I was almost dead, limped to a car by the house and proceeded to drive right into the big ass propane tank. I just couldn't lose Martian that way.

Haha no I haven't yet. But I don't blame you. Had I been quicker I'd probably have done that rather than lose Marcus in my first playthrough. (Feral sneak attack in a construction site.)

We had two hordes coming in our home base. I ran out on foot between them, got 'em all riled up and chasing me, placed one of those new whistling mines the boys in the machine shop cooked up, and then sprinted away and hid in a field. The mine started making a high pitched whistling sound, all the zombies forgot about me and converged on the mine, then it went off and must have been 30 zombie bodies flew into the air.

It was like a scene from an action movie. And of course completely unscripted, it was the result of chance and preparation.

The game's locking up my 360 a lot around the Alamo. Never froze once before I moved there. I've had three crashes in maybe 8 hours. The framerate's particularly jerky around the back too. Also it gets creepy when people start lining up on the roof, just staring into the ether.

Anyway, I had one of my peeps die. Said Camryn was torn apart by a feral that climbed the walls. Thought it wasn't possible for playable characters to get killed while the game's off. But apparently that's still a risk, although it took like three days of me running my base like ass.

Trigger

I guess theyre devoting their resources to a sequel. Surely MS should be throwing money at them for a full budget xbone game. This ip has potential for big sales.

I imagine sandbox mode and the PC release is where the resources are going to before a sequel. I wish they gave more updates on that.

The game's locking up my 360 a lot around the Alamo. Never froze once before I moved there. I've had three crashes in maybe 8 hours. The framerate's particularly jerky around the back too. Also it gets creepy when people start lining up on the roof, just staring into the ether.

Anyway, I had one of my peeps die. Said Camryn was torn apart by a feral that climbed the walls. Thought it wasn't possible for playable characters to get killed while the game's off. But apparently that's still a risk, although it took like three days of me running my base like ass.
Yeah my game locked up last night for the first time I think. I had just rescued a group of new survivors and they were hopping into my pickup truck when my whole console froze.

I guess theyre devoting their resources to a sequel. Surely MS should be throwing money at them for a full budget xbone game. This ip has potential for big sales.
They've said they're working on title updates/DLC before they're going to start working on a sequel.

Think I'm going to have to move my base because I'm running out of vehicles in the church area. Is this a thing?
Later bases do have more parking spots. The game is pretty hit and miss with remembering what cars you have at your base. I think if you quit out it forgets all the cars if they're not in spots.

beastworship

Neo Member
i just bought it and am downloading now, but i'm confused. i waited until it was patched to buy/play but i'm read it's actually getting progressively worse with each patch. any truth to that?

Aw yesh

nyXnZxC.jpg

Trigger

I never platinum'd this game. I couldn't figure out how to kill a zombie with a car door, which I think is one of the trophies.

Twinduct

So yeah game is STILL not out on my region's Arcade.
There been any other rumour/ mention of the PC version? Imagine I'll be able to get that on steam weeks before a local release on XBLA.

Trigger

There been any other rumour/ mention of the PC version? Imagine I'll be able to get that on steam weeks before a local release on XBLA.

All quiet so far. I'm sure we'll get more news late July/ early August.

MD2hoAA.jpg

According to Raptr I've played this game way too much you guys.

Australia?

Not sure how it works in Diablo, but here the world is persistent, There's no starting from the beginning in the sense the game kicks you back to the starting area. You simply switch to another character in your group and head back out into the zed infested world.

zed = zombie.

wow, that's really cool. this game needs to hurry up and get on steam

Took Jacob with me cause he was angry or some bullshit. He just stood and watched as I had to off like ten zombies by myself.

So I led Jacob into a horde, where my character is currently telling him how we need to have each others backs and we're done for if we're on our own. Hopefully the lesson will sink in.

Whoops, he died.

Top Bottom