• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Been playing the demo recently and the pop in is really bothering me.

Does stuff always pop in like this only a few feet away (items, shadows, textures)?
Sometimes its worse than other times but, yes, it's not uncommon.

Let's just put it this way, this is not a game you want to play for the graphics.

ShogunX

Sometimes its worse than other times but, yes, it's not uncommon.

Let's just put it this way, this is not a game you want to play for the graphics.

Shame to hear that. I can forgive unstable frame rates, tearing and glitches but pop in has always bothered me more than it should.

I remember playing Mercenaries 2 and a whole city popped in a few feet away leading to me crashing into a building. I turned the game off.

Shame to hear that. I can forgive unstable frame rates, tearing and glitches but pop in has always bothered me more than it should.

I remember playing Mercenaries 2 and a whole city popped in a few feet away leading to me crashing into a building. I turned the game off.
I'm far more forgiving then you by the sounds of it. The game is visually buggy but I don't see it as nearly as the big deal some people feel it is. The game is nearly perfect in its gameplay and so much fun, my fav this year by far. I couldn't dream of avoiding it, due to what I feel, is a very minor issue overall (but I'm a massive SoD fanboy). If I were you, I'd wait for the PC version if your PC can take care of the visual problems, instead of avoiding the game all together.

I think I'm getting near the end of the game. Without spoilers, can someone tell me if I'll be able to continue playing after finishing the final mission? Or should I save my game just before to an alternate device?

The mission I'm getting is
Exit Strategy with Sgt. Tan, I've got to be pretty close right
?

Trigger

I think I'm getting near the end of the game. Without spoilers, can someone tell me if I'll be able to continue playing after finishing the final mission? Or should I save my game just before to an alternate device?

The mission I'm getting is
Exit Strategy with Sgt. Tan, I've got to be pretty close right
?

You are close indeed. After you beat the final mission the game will drop you off back at the base before the final mission. You don't need to save.

So I know the IP is owned by MS, or at least that's what people are saying... But Undead Labs is independent. I guess there's what, zero chance Class 4 could come out on other systems then?

So I know the IP is owned by MS, or at least that's what people are saying... But Undead Labs is independent. I guess there's what, zero chance Class 4 could come out on other systems then?

PC is a given, but that's about it unfortunately. It's a shame too, as some people will end missing out on what will be a generation defining title...

Finished the game. Bring on sandbox mode!

What did you think of the ending?

And yes, bring sandbox mode the hell on.

Feindflug

At first glance framerate did not seem improved much but I guess vsync helps for some people.

Well it shouldn't be improved besides having no tearing, I was worried that we may had an American Nightmare scenario where v-sync crippled the performance but that doesn't seem the case with this one.

As a guy said above if it's not worse after the patch it's probably triple buffered which is an excellent way of getting rid of tearing while at the same time keeping the frame-rate at the same levels as it was before.

I mostly notice textures popping in, not entire objects in this game.

I once had an entire block of buildings not draw in for like 15 seconds. It was amazing. But that'd be once over like 50 hours. I don't even notice the small object pop-in any more.

When I started playing BF3 on my PC I was impressed by how smooth it was. So that's a positive side effect I guess.

What did you think of the ending?
Pretty abrupt, haha. That's OK, I knew to expect it from reading this thread.

My favorite part of the story was
going to the reservoir with Sgt. Tan and seeing all the bodies. Kind of reminded me of Cabin Fever.

I can pretty much guarantee I'm down for any DLC they throw my way. Sandbox mode sounds good but I'd also love to get a new region someday, maybe something snowy up in the mountains.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm amazed at the time I've spent with this game. I've finished it once, but I immediately restarted with ideas on how to improve my base and which location! I've also immensely enjoyed taking over people and sending them to their deaths if they don't have any traits I'm looking for. If I'm able to take down a Juggernaut with nothing but fists, then they can stay. I haven't been successful yet, but I eventually will win that battle and I will level the hell out of that character.

Pretty abrupt, haha. That's OK, I knew to expect it from reading this thread.

My favorite part of the story was
going to the reservoir with Sgt. Tan and seeing all the bodies. Kind of reminded me of Cabin Fever.

I can pretty much guarantee I'm down for any DLC they throw my way. Sandbox mode sounds good but I'd also love to get a new region someday, maybe something snowy up in the mountains.

Yeah, I loved that entire mission and that small town in general. So creepy.

Anyway, sales are just shy of 708k as of this morning. Simply incredible. Will absolutely 1m by the end of the year I think and will hopefully see similar numbers on PC too.

Trigger

I like the attention to detail in this game. I just did the Ray Santos mission as a Trumball Local and instead of asking who Ray is the character mentions already hearing about him before. I've always done the mission as Marcus before so I never noticed that little detail.

I suck at this game. Watched a few of the noob friendly videos. Marcus dead under my control. Zombies everywhere. Give me a second to breath damn it.

aronmayo2

Banned

The "Class" titles are codenames....I don't believe Class 4 will have to be a State of Decay game. It probably will be though as Class 3 and 4 were both announced as coming to Xbox 360 back in 2009 or 2010 (I think).

Trigger

I suck at this game. Watched a few of the noob friendly videos. Marcus dead under my control. Zombies everywhere. Give me a second to breath damn it.

Hey you should check this out I've got a transmission coming in sounds like they're in trouble maybe you should go downtown to Marshall don't forget to pick up Doc i've contacted a new of survivors we're low on ammo we could use some food

lol, they could've added more space with the mission spawn rate.

Anyone find any interesting locations (like the crashed airliner?) I've finished the game once and I'm looking for cool things I may have missed now that I'm on my second playthrough. (Or third depending on how you look at it.)

Trigger

Most of the bigger offending glitches are gone for me, but some people still have complaints.

Anyone find any interesting locations (like the crashed airliner?) I've finished the game once and I'm looking for cool things I may have missed now that I'm on my second playthrough. (Or third depending on how you look at it.)

I guess I'll spoiler this for people that may want to stumble upon them organically:

The plane is the most obvious one, IMO. Apparently there's a cage nearby? There's a burned out building you can't enter in south Marshall across from the supermarket. There's a creepy abandoned church not far from the cemetary, and there's a weird gas station with some houses in the northeast. You go there on the Wilkerson's errand, but it's worth visiting to scout of the homes for weapons.

Some of the notes are cool too.

Let's go out with an unmitigated disaster I say. I'm moving my 21 people to the Alamo.

I'm doing this with my current play-through, haven't reached that far yet though, but will be insanely fun to see how it all plays out.

Anyway, 725k sold.

yF47PFo.gif

SystemBug

Good review. Pretty much lays out everything I love about the game but also makes sure to warn people about the technical issues.

thanks! the game reminds me a lot of dragons dogma in a sense that you always need to be prepared before heading out too bad it got slandered by critics :(

I had assumed it was off the plate since they made that decision awhile back. That's ok, let Class 4 be the MP game, I'm totally cool with more SP content. The sim mode and maybe a new region.

You definitely want to wipe them out. They can cause bad morale at your base and also (I think) make people go missing at times. Be prepared, they are pretty tough. If possible bring someone else with you. You know the missions where you pick up someone at your base and then walk and talk with them for a while? Those guys are perfect to bring along to clear infestations.

At the beginning of the game I think they also will pair you up with someone automatically, if there's a green icon on the map for it and it's not just a red house.

Quick combat advice : LB + A to dropkick and then LB + Y to do a finisher is a great way to clear out zombies.

Starting to get the hang of it but what exactly is an infestation? I stay clear of these but should I be wiping them out?

Yes, keep them in check or find yourself overwhelmed when travelling in those areas or have morale drop low if they are starting to appear all around your base. The easiest way to approach it, IMO, is to come with a few Molotov cocktails/petrol bombs/enough ammo for one extra magazine or two revolvers' worth of rounds, a good melee weap and a replacement for a well-experienced fighter/shooter character. To make it easier, take another survivor with you when one of those 'someone needs a talking to' or anger/melancholy missions appears at home base where you take someone to a location to kill a few zeds and bring them back, averting a psychological breakdown and inevitable semi-suicide/murder/whatever. Instead of taking them back to base, though, take them with you to the infestation and by the time you clear the building, you'll likely have boosted your trust rating with them in the process and cleared it out much more easily with some backup you otherwise cannot get.

Unsurprising. As many have pointed out, the game isn't really designed with co-op in mind. Would have been a gargantuan effort to rework the game to properly accommodate a co-op mode and I'd much rather see them devout that time to developing some story based DLC or a new town to explore or a sequel to SoD.

I had assumed it was off the plate since they made that decision awhile back. That's ok, let Class 4 be the MP game, I'm totally cool with more SP content. The sim mode and maybe a new region.

Yep. More single player content please. And I hope we get a sequel to SoD before the MMO, as unlikely as that is...

derFeef

Don't force it Undead Labs, Sandbox mode is pretty much all I need for the future up until Class 4 comes out.

I would also happily buy booster packs for weapons, new boss zombies and such sort of stuff ;)

Don't force it Undead Labs, Sandbox mode is pretty much all I need for the future up until Class 4 comes out.

I would also happily buy booster packs for weapons, new boss zombies and such sort of stuff ;)

Don't listen this guy. We demand more story based DLC and new towns. Lots of new towns. Hell, give us a new city while you're at it too.

Into

Tried the trial

This game is overrated, i mean there is no soul to it* oh im just joking, it is awesome. Just purchased it and loving it so far, what a cool game, great atmosphere. My only real complaint is that the menus are just a tad confusing, but ill get used to them

Top Bottom