• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Dram

Has anyone had a mission skip in their playthrough? I did the first mission for the Garage survivors, but then it skipped the mission to build a watchtower and went to the one about Becca's past.

Trigger

Has anyone had a mission skip in their playthrough? I did the first mission for the Garage survivors, but then it skipped the mission to build a watchtower and went to the one about Becca's past.

What mission is missing? Sounds like the proper progression to me:

Rescue Jack > Help build the tower > Find out about Becca's past > Quentin flips out > Grange is attacked and abandoned.

Dram

It skipped the watchtower mission. I got the radio message about them talking about it, but it never triggered the mission.

Let me know if anything cool comes out of it.

I saw this in an interview with OXMUK and thought it was interesting:

Do you have to pay for every Xbox Live update beyond the first?

That's a contractual detail we can't discuss. Suffice it to say that there is nothing preventing us from releasing as many Title Updates as needed to ensure the game is stable and awesome.

Lima

Fuck man I only wanted to check out how my old save is doing now that I haven't played for a while. Also wanted to check out the stuff they patched.

Sucked me right back in. Played it for like 6 hours straight again even though I already completed the game twice.

Dat Vsync is beautiful. Can't wait for sandbox mode, give me!

Yeah according to that interview, the sandbox mode is going to have some 'additional strategy elements' and 'new play mechanics.' Should be really cool, here I thought they were just going to rip the story missions out of the game and call it a day but it sounds like there's going to be more to it than that.

Yeah according to that interview, the sandbox mode is going to have some 'additional strategy elements' and 'new play mechanics.' Should be really cool, here I thought they were just going to rip the story missions out of the game and call it a day but it sounds like there's going to be more to it than that.
Perhaps the return of generators and fuel being an actually useful resource?

What did generators do?
Ummm well, provide electricity I'd guess :p

Lol j/k, I have no idea what benefit having electricity would give us. It would be cool if they ripped some features from Day Z like having to stay warm and such, but I'd imagine that would take quite a bit of work to add. If they did add gennies I'd guess it would be cosmetic, but electric fencing ciuld be awesome.

Trigger

Ummm well, provide electricity I'd guess :p

Lol j/k, I have no idea what benefit having electricity would give us. It would be cool if they ripped some features from Day Z like having to stay warm and such, but I'd imagine that would take quite a bit of work to add. If they did add gennies I'd guess it would be cosmetic, but electric fencing ciuld be awesome.

Well Lily's radio must be running on something. Eletric fences would be nice (but then again it's not like zeds attacking the base are a problem).

Yeah, I found it pretty charming at first but it fast became incredibly annoying. I hope they record a helluva lot more lines for the sequel.
It's fairly impressive though how many lines there are, considering a) its an XBLA game and b) that there are 5 or 6 different voice actors they had to record saying all of them.

Yah. Tigers, cats, snakes, bugs, seagulls, cockroaches, bees, lobsters, dogs, squids, bears.

Hah. I'd actually love it if the animal rotated. Would be pretty great, for all of five minutes....

It's fairly impressive though how many lines there are, considering a) its an XBLA game and b) that there are 5 or 6 different voice actors they had to record saying all of them.

It really is. Everything about the is incredibly impressive, so it's hard to hate. Really, I don't mind it in the grand scheme, it just became pretty annoying hearing it for the 1 millionth time.

beastworship

Neo Member
well this really is a dandy, about 15 or more hours in without feeling like i scratched the surface of what's fully available. aside from the 'jank' and lack of instructions this is a real gem. can't wait to see what comes next from the developer.

Shifty76

For people bored of this or looking for a new challenge, try out these house rules:

1. No vehicles other than as required by quests or to get to the other towns.
2. No using Marcus/Maya/Ed/Sam. They must suicide as soon as you're able to play as them
3. Quick searching only
4. No tapping "A" to get up after being knocked down.

After not having lost a single character on my first 3 playthroughs, including a Marcus-only no car playthrough I wanted a bit more of a challenge.

Right now I'm up to random survivor #2 since my first died after getting swarmed by a couple of hordes after alerting them by knocking over a shelf while quicksearching a food mart.

Another fun challenge is to take a brand new recruit, load him or her up with supplies and try to go on foot from one side of the map to another.

sangreal

Been playing this for about 2 days straight now. I was having a blast until Maya decided to jump the ferris wheel instead of climbing down the latter. To make matters worse, her bag is stuck on top of a roof so I can't even get my guns back. I switch characters a lot so it isn't the end of the world, but it is really frustrating to see her go out like that.

Anyways, is there a good source for larger backpacks? I've only ever found one

Been playing this for about 2 days straight now. I was having a blast until Maya decided to jump the ferris wheel instead of climbing down the latter. To make matters worse, her bag is stuck on top of a roof so I can't even get my guns back. I switch characters a lot so it isn't the end of the world, but it is really frustrating to see her go out like that.

Anyways, is there a good source for larger backpacks? I've only ever found one
Same thing happened to my Marcus, instead of climbing down a ladder of a survey point he decided to jump off. Strangely enough he woke up at the base, badly injured but alive. I'm still not sure if it was a glitch that he didn't die.

derFeef

Woha, they just gut asked in the livestream if in sandbox mode you have control over spawns, zombie numbers, NPC's and stuff - they basically said "can't confirm that right now" and they are looking into ways to extend the lifetime of the game immensely.

oh boy.

Oh in TU3 you will be able to ask NPC's to join for a mission.

Trigger

I'm not happy with his answer on customized characters.
pleezPJ.gif

EDIT- Someone asked if there would be a hardcore mode and they implied that sandbox is hardcore mode.

Definitely needs some work to extend the game. I just can't bring myself to start over, but at the same time I'm running low on materials and ammo. I'm just trying to hang in there long enough to find some of the high end guns and the sword. Completely unrelated, but am I missing something when it comes to a scoped weapon? Clicking in on LS zooms maybe 10% closer at best.

Trigger

Completely unrelated, but am I missing something when it comes to a scoped weapon? Clicking in on LS zooms maybe 10% closer at best.

That's it. On the stream they mentioned how a deeper zoom would just expose how ugly the game is up close, lol. I don't think it's really necessary anyway.

Finished my second playthrough last night. Set up base in the Alamo, lost a ton of survivors, had incredibly low morale, carried out a number of suicide attacks, it was bloody amazing.

Loved every second of it. Now I'm waiting patiently for sandbox mode.

Speaking of,

The team explain that their goal with the Sandbox DLC is to ask players if they can survive a zombie apocalypse: "We want to create a setting where players can answer that question, not just until the story is exhausted, but indefinitely."

To elaborate, it seems that rather than resources eventually respawning as they do in the normal mode, in Sandbox they'll eventually completely expire, forcing players to move their communities on from their relatively "comfortable" fortresses: "As the world decays, and as supplies are gobbled up, you have to keep moving deeper into the most infected areas, facing bigger crowds of deadlier zombies, for as long as you can handle the challenge."

Once the situation calls for it, you'll have to find and fix up a broken RV somewhere on the map - this will take time and precious resources as well as people who - as ever - can all still die while the project continues. Eventually you'll be ready to move on - although not with everyone, you'll have to leave some folk behind - then you'll set off and a loading screen will kick in.

When you're back in control, you'll find yourself in a new instance of the same map but with everything renewed and randomised as if you'd started anew - only this time with more hordes of undead lurking around: "That is what we want to simulate with our Sandbox DLC - moving towards the danger, and stepping up your game, because in the long run, that is the only way to stay alive."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/58760/state-of-decay-developers-explain-sandbox-mode/

Sounds great. Hurry up and release it dammit.

More info: http://undeadlabs.com/2013/07/news/enter-sandbox/

The more I think about it, the sillier this is. You exhaust the map, then leave in an RV that takes you to the same map, but resources are resupplied/randomized? How is that really any better than respawning resources?

I would have preferred if they had made it where, with the right base and outposts, you could eventually get to a point where you can subsist on the land without having to scavenge any more.

Just been playing more of it since I hadn't really played it since I bought it. The game is fantastic, still at the Church and need to move on from there hopefully to somewhere bigger and all my players are hurt/tired but hopefully if I leave them overnight they'll be fixed for tomorrow…

Now I just have to hope it won't be too hot to play Xbox tomorrow :/

Top Bottom