• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Tried the trial

This game is overrated, i mean there is no soul to it* oh im just joking, it is awesome. Just purchased it and loving it so far, what a cool game, great atmosphere. My only real complaint is that the menus are just a tad confusing, but ill get used to them

Ooooh. I was all ready to throw down too.

Yeah, the menus can be pretty confusing at times. You'll get used to the jank eventually though and it will all become second nature.

derFeef

Dead characters should come back as zombies. How leveled up they were in life could dictate how tough they are in death.

Uhh kinda like ZombiU where you actually have to kill them? I would be up for that.
The problem is characters do not really die in my game, lol.

Dead characters should come back as zombies. How leveled up they were in life could dictate how tough they are in death.

That would be cool and scary. I've got two total fucking badasses over here and would have to resort to running them over with a car just to face off with them if I didn't have guns. Give them the ability to utilize old memories of the base and outpost locations and let them return to cause havoc and it would be completely evil.

That'd be great. Have the torso crawling around, snapping at your heels.

I'd love a hardcore pure simulation mode too where one bite sees you eventually succumb to the infection and become a zed. No cure, once you're bitten, you have X amount of time to do whatever you want to do before you turn...

Nice bait and switch. I regret buying the game now.

There was no bait and switch. They were always clear it was something they hoped they'd be able to implement, but never made any guarantees or promises.

Sucks that you regret buying it, but they were clear from the outset about their plans with co-op.

There was no bait and switch. They were always clear it was something they hoped they'd be able to implement, but never made any guarantees or promises.

Yeah, maybe, but I don't feel that way. They specifically talked about co-op before release and after, as well. If it really wasn't likely, it should never have been mentioned as even a small possibility.

Sucks that you regret buying it, but they were clear from the outset about their plans with co-op.
It's disappointing but I'm glad I waited before buying the game, I nearly bought it based on their comments on adding multiplayer; coop is almost a must for games I buy nowadays.

They're supposed to be working on a multiplayer sequel though, aren't they? I'd support that.

Yeah, maybe, but I don't feel that way. They specifically talked about co-op before release and after, as well. If it really wasn't likely, it should never have been mentioned as even a small possibility.

True and I don't blame anyone for being upset that co-op is no longer happening, but at the same time, they were clear that it was a hope and nothing more.

I guess they got carried away in the hype of it all and spoke too loosely about their hopes for post release support, which in turned raised a lot of hopes and will now likely cause some bitterness and anger.

It's disappointing but I'm glad I waited before buying the game, I nearly bought it based on their comments on adding multiplayer; coop is almost a must for games I buy nowadays.

They're supposed to be working on a multiplayer sequel though, aren't they? I'd support that.

Yeah, Class4 will be an MMO. I'm hoping they'll release a sequel to SoD first, perhaps with some multiplayer components to test the waters and ensure the engine is able to handle online play.

This is how I feel. They never should have mentioned the possibility if it were so miniscule.

Taurus

Pretty much only complaint I have of this awesome game is that the hordes are ridiculously small-sized. Hordes should be randomly generated 20-100 zombie hordes. I mean really, really scary stuff.

Those 10 zombie hordes are a joke. Run them over with a car, rinse and repeat until horde is dead.

The game isn't threatening when there's so few enemies. Even ferals and big uns can be handled with ease if you first evade their attack, then counter-attack immediately.

The atmosphere is amazing, but I didn't lose single character while controlling them myself. Too easy.

Jhoan

I got kind of bored of playing this game since new story missions didn't pop up last time I booted it up (last mission I did was defend the chick and the 3 dudes as they built a watch platform/helped the cop find survivors; the pastor got sick).

It sucks that the co-op is no longer happening as that would have made the game way more fun. I'll boot it up again soon but the sale that's currently going on is going to distract me.

KageMaru

Sad to see that co-op may never be put in. =( Still love the game though, one of the best zombie games of this generation.

On one hand, I fucking love the game and Undead Labs for making one of the best games this year and, IMO, the best zombie game ever made. On the other, fuck Undead Labs for baiting and switching with the comments about patching in co-op.

I can't access IGN at work and the link isn't loading on my phone, so I don't know what the article says specifically. However this is likely due to a decision by MS, not Undead Labs. In a tweet around the time they broke 500k in sales, they said they were waiting on approval from their publisher before starting work on a co-op patch.

Nice bait and switch. I regret buying the game now.

There was no bait and switch, they never promised anything and have been up front about the game's development, and post development, every step of the way. It's your fault if you purchased the game full well knowing co-op wasn't currently in.

tassletine

I'm not sure if this game is any good or not. The reason being (apart from the jankiness) is that I can't judge whether it's systems are working, and the reason for this is that I haven't died in over 12 hours of play.
The game is so ridiculously easy, that it seems that nothing I do has any impact at all, and it doesn't really matter how I behave. The only thing that has happened so far is that The Pastor got shot, the game gave me a warning and then carried on as usual.
There doesn't seem to be any real threat, no management issues are bearing down on me, no resources are short, nothing -- and I haven't even read the instructions or bothered sneaking (even though that's supposed to be important).

I have a suspicion that I'm being told that these systems are working but I'm not actually convinced they are, and seeing all the bug lists make me think that I'm playing a pretty much entirely broken game, but one that tells me it's working, and my mind is filling in the rest. The systems it sets up are potentially intriguing but they don't actually seem to be pushing on the player at all, and certainly having no effect on how I play the game.

I love the concept, but I simply don't feel the execution is there at all. It is actually pretty god damn janky.

I don't agree. It's not perfectly executed, but everything is in place and you simply have to figure it out as you go along. It simply refuses to hold your hand at any stage of the game, you're thrown into the game world and it's entirely up to you how much you want to dedicate to learning the menu system, etc.

Also don't forget that this is the first game from a new developer and a relatively small team. The level of ambition behind the title puts a lot of seasoned developers to shame.

ironcreed

Banned
I don't agree. It's not perfectly executed, but everything is in place and you simply have to figure it out as you go along. It simply refuses to hold your hand at any stage of the game, you're thrown into the game world and it's entirely up to you how much you want to dedicate to learning the menu system, etc.

Also don't forget that this is the first game from a new developer and a relatively small team. The level of ambition behind the title puts a lot of seasoned developers to shame.

I have had no trouble figuring things out, it just feels budgety and janky on the whole. Sure, it is a $20 game and all that, but that does excuse it based on the hype it has surrounding it. Again, I think the idea is great, but the execution and gameplay is nothing special at all.

I have had no trouble figuring things out, it just feels budgety and janky on the whole. Sure, it is a $20 game and all that, but that does excuse it based on the hype it has surrounding it. Again, I think the idea is great, but the execution and gameplay is nothing special at all.

Not sure the budget feel issue holds much water considering the price point they were aiming for.

As for the gameplay not being special, I guess it's not going to resonate with everyone, but I found it to be incredible. The sense of survival, scavenging, base building, survivor management, supply management, ensuring your base is well constructed, has ample amounts of food, ensure their psychological well being and generally surviving in a very harsh and destroyed world is incredible and unparalleled to me.

No other game has come close to doing what SoD does almost effortlessly. It's changed the zed genre for me, I can't imagine playing another zed game and it not having the various elements that have made SoD such an incredible game. It would feel incomplete.

Wow there are some harsh vibes in here. I'm sorry not everyone is enjoying it as much as I am.

The game isn't perfect, lots of jank and it ain't pretty, but I love it in spite of that. I love running around, exploring and scavenging; I love building my base; I love deciding where to put outposts; I love having to switch people as they get tired/hurt and need to rest; I love the random encounters with people and bringing them into the fold. I don't find it too easy, just last night I lost one of my favorite dudes and my first playthrough of the game was a complete disaster losing my best man, and everything spiraled out of control. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Interesting

4v27OSp.jpg

Wow there are some harsh vibes in here. I'm sorry not everyone is enjoying it as much as I am.

The game isn't perfect, lots of jank and it ain't pretty, but I love it in spite of that. I love running around, exploring and scavenging; I love building my base; I love deciding where to put outposts; I love having to switch people as they get tired/hurt and need to rest; I love the random encounters with people and bringing them into the fold. I don't find it too easy, just last night I lost one of my favorite dudes and my first playthrough of the game was a complete disaster losing my best man, and everything spiraled out of control. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

eA8TmFw.gif

Absolutely agree. It's a shame it hasn't resonated with some as much as it has with others, but this has game has changed the zed genre for me. It's gone straight into the top three of my games of this generation and is my game of the year by some distance.

dorkimoe

I'm perfectly ok with no multiplayer. Played only a little bit of the demo, I dont need coop, worked great single player. I didnt even scratch the surface of the game either. Going to purchase it soon

I'm such a fan of the game I'd probably buy it no matter what, but free is always nice!

eA8TmFw.gif

Absolutely agree. It's a shame it hasn't resonated with some as much as it has with others, but this has game has changed the zed genre for me. It's gone straight into the top three of my games of this generation and is my game of the year by some distance.
It's kind of what I always wanted out of a zombie game. Dead Rising came close and had a great style to it but was pretty limited in what you could actually do. Walking Dead Survival Instinct had some cool ideas but ultimately it was a series of pretty linear levels with a few interesting systems placed on top of it. This game though... Mmmm.

I do kind of wish the world was bigger, it seemed so huge initially but now I think I've just about seen everything there is to see. Hopefully we'll be seeing some new areas with DLC.

Grimsen

This game is an amazing single player experience, and I honeslty don't see what multiplayer would add to it. I'll manage my survivors my way, thank you very much.

Sandbox mode, however, sounds right up my alley. Bring it, UL!

I'm really pissed off about this update on multiplayer. They made it seem like a month or two after release co-op was going to be added.

They released a buggy half-assed game that is poorly designed. For example it is impossible to lose. If everyone dies in your community you get new people to play with. I don't understand the point of making a survival game were you can not fail. The point of the game is that your communities actions are suppose to allow them them to live for another day. This isn't the case, because you can't lose.

The game is still buggy and garbage and now no multiplayer. I feel lied too... What a waste of $20 bucks

Lima

I can see MS capitalising on the games success and depending on how meaty it is, I think it will be 400 points, if they decide to charge, which I hope they won't, but then this game is well on its way to selling 1m...
Well I think Undead Labs said they would add achievements. Since MS doesn't allow free DLC to come with achievements I would think that free is out of the question.

Well I think Undead Labs said they would add achievements. Since MS doesn't allow free DLC to come with achievements I would think that free is out of the question.
I would much rather have it be free, than get new achievements. I think any sane person would!

I'm perfectly ok with no multiplayer. Played only a little bit of the demo, I dont need coop, worked great single player. I didnt even scratch the surface of the game either. Going to purchase it soon

Watch some videos of people playing the real game. The demo area is far more polished than any where else in the whole game.

It's kind of what I always wanted out of a zombie game. Dead Rising came close and had a great style to it but was pretty limited in what you could actually do. Walking Dead Survival Instinct had some cool ideas but ultimately it was a series of pretty linear levels with a few interesting systems placed on top of it. This game though... Mmmm.

I do kind of wish the world was bigger, it seemed so huge initially but now I think I've just about seen everything there is to see. Hopefully we'll be seeing some new areas with DLC.

Exactly my thoughts. DR was fantastic at the time, but it only really focused on the horde element There was no real sense of survival. Rescuing survivors was great though, added so much needed tension and challenge to the game, but that's pretty much the limits of what the game had to offer.

I never played Survival Instinct, would you recommend it? I don't mind jank or the occasional glitch/bug, is it fun to play?

I would much rather have it be free, than get new achievements. I think any sane person would!

Pretty much. Forego any achievements if it means we can get it for free.

Played the game all the way through, I can't agree with that.
The randomness of the game can make it work fairly well or it can suck and be buggy as hell. The developers have even said this on the forum. I'm played through 3 times, one time were it was good, another were it was bad, and third were I tested the game and tried to lose (which you can't do even if you try). I've had entire towns become wall less, zombies running through walls, the dreaded infestation bug after it was patched, rocks randomly pop into the game that flip my car etc. Many of these issues are not apparent in the demo, so I recommend watching a lets play or some gameplay videos.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mind if they charge for sandbox mode. I'm happy to throw money at the game and have more things appear.

I never played Survival Instinct, would you recommend it? I don't mind jank or the occasional glitch/bug, is it fun to play?
People think I'm crazy, but I had a lot of fun with it. Unfortunately I think it's still $50 which is too much, I'd say for $20 if you're into zombie games (which you are) it'd be a no brainer.

The randomness of the game can make it work fairly well or it can suck and be buggy as hell. The developers have even said this on the forum. I'm played through 3 times, one time were it was good, another were it was bad, and third were I tested the game and tried to lose (which you can't do even if you try). I've had entire towns become wall less, zombies running through walls, the dreaded infestation bug after it was patched, rocks randomly pop into the game that flip my car etc. Many of these issues are not apparent in the demo, so I recommend watching a lets play or some gameplay videos.
Hmm well probably what that is having to load a much bigger area than you see in the tutorial. I suppose you could be right, anyway it was never enough to bother me.

Sad to see that co-op may never be put in. =( Still love the game though, one of the best zombie games of this generation.

I can't access IGN at work and the link isn't loading on my phone, so I don't know what the article says specifically. However this is likely due to a decision by MS, not Undead Labs. In a tweet around the time they broke 500k in sales, they said they were waiting on approval from their publisher before starting work on a co-op patch.

There was no bait and switch, they never promised anything and have been up front about the game's development, and post development, every step of the way. It's your fault if you purchased the game full well knowing co-op wasn't currently in.

whatever. i didnt pay anywhere near 20 for it and now i know to avoid their next game like the plague ;)

Yeah, no one's going to say it's perfect or even approaching super-solid. To me, these games are like finding roses budding in the midst of gravel if I compare what I get out of the experience to anything out there. I see what beauty in its ambitions and its potential while taking in the very real fun there is there and just run with it all the while not forgetting it's doing more interesting things than any other zombie game on the market regardless of platform (until Dead State finally completes). Does it have stupid stuff? Yeah, sure. Does it do more interesting things and ask me to play differently than anything else out there? Yes, most definitely. It's solid enough and fun enough for me to enjoy it all despite its lack of polish and pretty poor state of initial release. You really have to have wanted this particular (NotLD/DotD/zombie survival simulator) experience to enjoy it, I think.

When's your first opportunity to move the home base? Can you do it anytime or is it governed by a main story mission?

I want to set up at the farm on this playthrough, but either I'm not at the right place or I can't do it yet.

People think I'm crazy, but I had a lot of fun with it. Unfortunately I think it's still $50 which is too much, I'd say for $20 if you're into zombie games (which you are) it'd be a no brainer.

Cool, thanks.

Looking around, it does seem to have held its value pretty well as most Activision games this generation. Ah well, will keep an eye on it and hope it drops to £20 or below in the foreseeable future.

When's your first opportunity to move the home base? Can you do it anytime or is it governed by a main story mission?

I want to set up at the farm on this playthrough, but either I'm not at the right place or I can't do it yet.
You can only move the home base after doing the mission with Jacob. If Jacob is dead or not giving you the mission you can not move bases. This is one of the reasons why many fans want a sandbox mode, because replaying the main storyline is kinda of boring, and you need to do several missions to unlock key gameplay features like being able to move your base.

You can only move the home base after doing the mission with Jacob. If Jacob is dead or not giving you the mission you can not move bases. This is one of the reasons why many fans want a sandbox mode, because replaying the main storyline is kinda of boring, and you need to do several missions to unlock key gameplay features like being able to move your base.
Yeah I totally agree. I hope it comes out soon. Thanks for the info, I just moved into McReady farm which I can only hope is a The Thing reference.

Marleyman

Banned
I don't get all of the easy talk; maybe I am just unlucky or suck but I have been in some extremely tense situations. For instance, I was taking back supplies and decided to cut through the open farm land in a truck I stole. I hit an unexpected bump, flipped the truck and it was now useless. It didn't help that my character had a quarter of health left, no health, a damaged wrench and only 10 shots from my shotgun.

They heard the truck explode, so at that point I took off running with what little stamina I had left. I made it to a farm that I had found earlier, boarded the place up and looted it for anything that could help. Ended up finding a coffee that I used to get enough stamina to run to a car that was sorta close.

Top Bottom