• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Flunkie

Banned
I've been in Wyoming all summer without internet and game systems, so I missed out on this guy's (and The Last of Us) release. I bought this last week immediately after trying the demo for the first time. Blown away by the amount of content and systems in this game. It's a little rough around the edges, but I'm having a great time. Given a bigger budget and more QA, I can't wait to see what's coming next from these guys.

Most ambitious game I've played in a long, long time. Loving it.

Sojgat

Is there a list of the changes made for the Australian edition? I want to pick it up but not if anything other than the drug names were changed. Censorship blows.

Sandbox mode update!

Two weeks ago, we announced how the Sandbox game was going to work.

Basically, you can play the game for as long as you want, and when you’ve exhausted your resources, you can fix up an RV, pack it with your best friends, and resettle in a replenished version of the map with a nastier zombie problem.

So now let’s talk about why you’ll want to keep coming back.

Knowing the Score

Throughout the game, we will be tracking and scoring your accomplishments — defeating zombies, freaks, hordes, and infestations, collecting resources and survivors, etc.

Everything feeds into a central score that we post to the Leaderboards, so you can see how you stack up against other players.

Different actions have different score values, and everything increases by a multiplier each time you hop on the RV and restart at a higher difficulty level.

That means that when you’re playing Sandbox, you’re in a competition, with your friends and with the community, to have the most prosperous, longest-lasting, zombie-killingest community in the world.

Needing a Hero

"Heroes are tricked-out veteran zombie survivors with specialized skills, based on familiar faces you know and love."But maybe competition isn’t your thing. If you’re not trying to top the charts, then what are your goals?

When you begin your first Sandbox game, your survivors are all pulled from the random pool — they’re just everyday folks trying to get by amongst the flesh-eating monsters.

But then you score your thousandth zombie kill, or your hundredth headshot, or your fiftieth construction job, and you unlock a Hero.

Heroes are tricked-out veteran zombie survivors with specialized skills, based on familiar faces you know and love. They show up with their favorite equipment, ready to shoot some heads, hack some limbs, repair some cars, and cook up some delicious feasts.

The first time you unlock a Hero, you get a mission to pick them up immediately, and add them to your community as a playable friend.

From then on, even if they die, they remain in the pool of characters who could show up in any of your future playthroughs. The more Heroes you unlock, the more often they’ll show up.

You’ll also have the ability to choose your favorite unlocked Hero, up front, to be your starting character.

http://undeadlabs.com/2013/08/news/thats-so-meta/

I need it. Hurry the hell up.

I sent a tweet to Undead Labs and got some info on Sandbox mode, I don't think this is old:

Steverulez: @undeadlabs Will Sandbox mode be free or paid? And will it be out this month? Or later?

undeadlabs: @steverulez We don't set the price, nor would I be able to announce it before MS does if I did know, but I suspect some small amount.

undeadlabs: @steverulez And not this month. Not sure when exactly.

So, not this month and probably paid. Not got a problem with either of that. Hopefully its September though. Looking forward to it.

I imagine the score stuff will be like the leaderboards we have now. As for choosing heros, I can't wait to play as Maya in this. her, marcus, and ed survived my entire first playthrough.

Ashtar

I'm pretty anti-DLC (I've literally never bought DLC after buying a game) but for this I might have to break my rule....

Trigger

Having an ally join you for missions will actually make the game too easy, but I'm sure I'll appreciate it in sandbox mode.

madmook

Cool beans, gonna start a new game! I think I'll try the Fairgrounds as home base this time. :)

Edit: Patch 3 is live, holy better framerate, Batman! At this rate, the game is quickly losing its jankiness!

Edit #2: spoke too soon about better framerate, some areas do definitely have a better framerate, but all the loading/streaming hitches and hiccups still occur about the same.

Cool beans, gonna start a new game! I think I'll try the Fairgrounds as home base this time. :)

Edit: Patch 3 is live, holy better framerate, Batman! At this rate, the game is quickly losing its jankiness!
Well that's weird, it doesn't say anything about performance in the changelog, except for some undefined "Minor improvements to shadows"...

PooBone

So do the title updates take affect on your games that are in progress? Or do you have to start a new campaign?

I just finished the game (had no idea that was the end, but makes perfect sense for sequel.) and am wondering if I should start a new play or wait for sandbox. Sadly now that I'm done with the story, I'm now completely aware at how desperately this game needed a co-op mode.

Grisby

Finally took the plunge on this. With a new Walking Dead season coming soon I'm in a zombie fervor.

Firstly, the game still seems to run like ass. However, everything else I'm loving. Got some general questions though.

-I got a thing to saying Maya was sad but nothing else has happened. I even took her out to get the doc and stuff but I haven't gotten any other messages.
-Should I be looking into moving somewhere else? Church is starting to seem awfully small.
-Do infestations come back over time?

And man, some of those finishing kills are freaking hilarious. I had Maya jump 10ft in the air or something to do an air stomp.

Trigger

-I got a thing to saying Maya was sad but nothing else has happened. I even took her out to get the doc and stuff but I haven't gotten any other messages.
-Should I be looking into moving somewhere else? Church is starting to seem awfully small.
-Do infestations come back over time?

1)You'll get messages like that periodically. It's not a request to do a mission; just a status update. You can't do much to avoid them except complete missions and keep the base stocked.

2) Potentially moving the base will come up in the story. The Church is just a starter base.

3) They do come back, but don't happen within areas covered by your outposts.

Grisby

1)You'll get messages like that periodically. It's not a request to do a mission; just a status update. You can't do much to avoid them except complete missions and keep the base stocked.

2) Potentially moving the base will come up in the story. The Church is just a starter base.

3) They do come back, but don't happen within areas covered by your outposts.
Thanks bud. I think I'm hoarding stuff up too much and not progressing enough with the story. Fun though.

And while the game run kinda crappy, I like the general look they were going for. The lighting is pretty good in some spots.

Breakdown DLC should be coming in late October. It sounds like it's going to be a lot harder, which isn't something I necessarily wanted. I was kind of just hoping for the main game but without having to do all the prescripted story missions.

One thing we know our community has been looking for is a new challenge. You’ve spent all this time mastering the game, and you want somewhere to go to truly test your skills.
State of Decay: Breakdown is designed to bring on that challenge. As you progress through each iteration of the game, the scenario gets tougher and tougher. The game is daring you to try and survive, and is ramping up the difficulty each time you do.

Vulnerability
The first mark of great skill is how well you avoid mistakes. Thus, one of the best ways to test your skill is to ramp up the consequences of those mistakes. As difficulty rises in Breakdown, the damage you receive from zombie attacks increases. It is up to you to stay out of their clutches.

Attrition
The zombies’ great advantage in State of Decay is their tirelessness. You experience fatigue. They don’t. As difficulty rises, it takes a little more effort to bring down each zombie, which requires you to manage your stamina more carefully.

Speed
In a typical horde, you have a large pack of lumbering slow zombies, and a small handful of fast-moving crazy dudes. If you want to flee, all you have to do is kill the crazy dudes, and you can outpace the ones that fall behind. But now, as difficulty rises, the number of fast zombies in the population will get higher and higher…until it gets kind of ridiculous.

Freaks

Do you ever get that feeling that you haven’t seen a Feral in over four hours of play? As you progress through Breakdown, that feeling will very quickly disappear. (At one point, I did a brief test where I made one out of every six zombies a Bloater. It was a very different game. Don’t worry, I scaled them back…a bit.)

Resources
When we update the game to support Breakdown, everyone will get our updated resource system, which is designed to make scavenging fairer and more consistent across every player’s experience. As an added bonus, when you play Breakdown, the new system allows us to slowly drain out some of the Resources and items as difficulty increases.
We’re putting some limits on this, though — scavenging an empty house isn’t all that fun, and we never want the world to feel like a desert. So the resource drain will hit a floor and stop, while the zombies keep on getting tougher.

Transportation

Remember all the sneaking around you did during the tutorial? Remember how little of that you did after you got your first car? Cars are super-powerful in State of Decay, and they’re everywhere. Smash one up ramming it into a horde, and you can simply trade it in for another.
But now, as difficulty rises, the number of available vehicles drops like a rock. Suddenly, cars become a rare resource that you have to use wisely or not at all, and you’re no longer as inclined to make a suicide run straight into a Juggernaut just for kicks. Sneaking around on foot, using your car as a last resort, becomes one of the best strategies.
And you should probably try to keep your Tools Expert alive.

Keeping Up With You

When I told Sanya about my plans for the difficulty ramp, she immediately told me to take my plans, and double them. Add more difficulty levels, ramp the challenge level higher and harder, because that’s what our players are searching for. So I’ve made it my goal to create a version of the game that gets so hard by the end, I can barely play it, and then let you folks show me how it’s done. Are you ready?

http://undeadlabs.com/2013/10/news/die-hard-fans/

Top Bottom