• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Was announced about 10 minutes ago.

Expect more details to hit the wire soon.

Eric Garner was the NY man who died from a choke hold when officers were trying to arrest him for allegedly selling untaxed cigarettes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nypd-ch...-votes-not-to-charge-cop-in-eric-garner-case/

NEW YORK -- A grand jury has declined to indict a New York City police officer who used an apparent chokehold on a man who died after the confrontation on Staten Island, CBS News has confirmed.

Eric Garner, a father of six, died in July after police officer Daniel Pantaleo attempted to arrest him for allegedly selling loose, untaxed cigarettes.

The grand jury began reviewing evidence in the case on Sept. 29.

In cellphone video of the Garner incident, Pantaleo is seen placing his arm around Garner's neck and then taking him to the ground after Garner refuses to be handcuffed.

Garner is heard saying repeatedly, "I can't breathe!" He died a short time later.

The New York City Medical Examiner's office ruled Garner's death a homicide, caused by the officer's apparent chokehold as well as chest and neck compressions and prone positioning "during physical restraint by police."

An independent forensic investigator hired by the Garner family also agreed with the medical examiner's findings.

New York police have been preparing for days for the possibility of widespread protests in reaction to the grand jury decision.

The city has seen ongoing protests since a grand jury in St. Louis County, Mo. declined to indict Darren Wilson, a police officer accused of killing teen Michael Brown, in Ferguson, Mo.

Branduil

Cops can literally murder you any time they want and get away with it.

People need to just start practicing self-defense when involved with violent cops.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
How utterly unsurprising.

jrush64

Banned
Cartoonshocker.jpeg

see5harp

Man it really sucks to have family members who are police. Use facebook to post pictures of kids and talk shit about football teams.

Homeboyd

People need to just start practicing self-defense when involved with violent cops.
Uh the law says you HAVE to let them kill you. If you don't let them, you're going to JAIL.

Mully

It'd be really interesting to see the Coroners office go after Bratton for defamation of character after the commissioner criticized the medical examiner for saying Garner died of a chokehold and not a heart attack.

KingGondo

Banned
Ta-Nehisi spitting truth:

People need to stop being surprised by this. What reason was there to expect an indictment? I ask that with great seriousness.

And this isn't the fault of police. Police act at the society's behest. Police don't need retraining. America needs retraining.

Law is what the people decide they want the law to be. Nothing inviolable about "the law."

Laws were passed to give black people the right to vote in 1860s. Did not matter that it was "law" for a century.

studyguy

This is the case where the police defense was advocating Eric's "poor health" contributed to him being choked to death, right? Gross.

Cagey

Banned
This is the case where the police defense was advocating Eric's "poor health" contributed to him being choked to death, right? Gross.

Well he was an obese, smoking, black guy at the time the police confronted him.

Those things can lead to premature death, you know.

Particulary the black part.

Syriel

I assume he was black, then?

Assuming you missed the initial story.

Eric-Garner.jpg

That's Garner on the left and getting arrested on the right.

Autopsy listed cause of death as “compression of neck (chokehold), compression of chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police.”

Despite the photos, the police union claims that a chokehold was never used and that the prosecution is a witch hunt.

Because officers would NEVER use a banned procedure! Amirite?
/s

Mononoke

Banned
Ta-Nehisi spitting truth:

I agree that America as a whole needs to change. That it isn't just an issue with cops but a reflecrion of this county as a whole. But cops really do need reform. Badly. How they train them, the hiring process (who they hire). The union stuff is also a mess.

Where is the outrage over this? There are no conflicting witness testimonies. There is no "speculation" over what may have happened. There is footage of the police choking him to death after he begs them to stop.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
CNN is claiming they didn't indict because they were asked to indict if it was done with malicious intent.

Who the fuck cares whether it was malicious.

tbm24

I gotta admit, I'm surprised. I can't wait to see the aftermath of this. Especially given the autopsy report(assuming that didn't change and I didn't notice).

Guevara

There have been a lot of bad cases recently, but this one seems the worst, the clearest, and the easiest to understand. This news is shocking.

Branduil

Where is the outrage over this? There are no conflicting witness testimonies. There is no "speculation" over what may have happened. There is footage of the police choking him to death after he begs them to stop.

People thought I was being hyperbolic when I said the country would improve overnight if all the cops and corrupt prosecutors died in their sleep.

Mononoke

Banned

Yeah I wish this case was used to try to push reform and outrage over racism and corruption as their is actual footage of it happening and cops lying about it.

marrec

Banned

I think everyone just assumed that this would go to court.... I mean... there's video of them killing him for no reason.

quickwhips

Or don't resist. Why would you practice self defense when you already saw people dying when they raised their hands when trying to get cuffed. Just put hands behind back and lay down. Don't try to walk towards a cop...wtf you have a death wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom