• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Assuming you missed the initial story.

Eric-Garner.jpg

That's Garner on the left and getting arrested on the right.

Autopsy listed cause of death as “compression of neck (chokehold), compression of chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police.”

Despite the photos, the police union claims that a chokehold was never used and that the prosecution is a witch hunt.

Because officers would NEVER use a banned procedure! Amirite?
/s

Thank you.

Slayven

Or don't resist. Why would you practice self defense when you already saw people dying when they raised their hands when trying to get cuffed. Just put hands behind back and lay down. Don't try to walk towards a cop...wtf you have a death wish.

sigh, cops of killing people whether they resist or not.

abadguy

Banned
Can't say i'm surprised. In NY cops can practically empty thei guns into an unarmed man and get away with it. Why should we expect it to be any different for a fatal choke hold.

Fuck this country.

Mully

No. He lost 20 points for selling illegal cigarettes as a side business and was below the minimum threshold.

Well he deserved to die. He was fat and sold cigarettes illegally. Chokeholds are okay since being overweight and angry poses a threat.

I will say that he did commit a crime and did resist arrest. The cops had the right to take him down, but a chokehold is never okay. Along with that, his anger was likely justified due to the way the NYPD has treated minorities in past decades.

Branduil

Q: What's the difference between the mob and the police?

A: Mob members go on trial when video surfaces of them murdering someone.

Cagey

Banned
People thought I was being hyperbolic when I said the country would improve overnight if all the cops and corrupt prosecutors died in their sleep.

You were and still are.

The death was declared a homicide by the medical examiner, and a grand jury comprised of the general public refused to indict. The problem isn't a corrupt prosecutor or every single police officer. Hell, where do you think those people come from?

The public.

Mononoke

Banned
People thought I was being hyperbolic when I said the country would improve overnight if all the cops and corrupt prosecutors died in their sleep.

Because it is hyperbolic and pretty stupid. The whole not all cops thing comes up because some people use the not all cops defense to obscure criticims of racism and corruption as a systematic problem (when it is). But the reality is the majority of cops are not killers or corrupt and the millions of police interactions a day between civilians does not lead to murder or durress.

We actually have GAF members that are in law enforcement. I know you are angry and you should be. But advocating for the death of them as a solution is really stupid. And I highly doubt society would be better with no law enforcment. That said the current system is fucked. Especially if you are black.

Edit: I assume you meant all corrupt cops and prosecutors. Where you had corrupt in the sentence implied all cops and only corrupt prosecutors. My bad if I read your post wrong.

quickwhips

sigh, cops of killing people whether they resist or not.

We agree to disagree. When he was cuffing him and he pulled hands back that is resisting. It sucks he died but I've been stopped and stuff before and I just comply fuck nothing is worth dying for. I have a wife and soon to be kid at home.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Well Staten Island has the most Republicans out of all 5 boroughs, so I'm not surprised at all.

Paskil

Can't wait to see the defense force out at full strength. I hope there's a huge civil lawsuit and the department fires him. The coroner ruled it a homicide, for shits sake.

We agree to disagree. When he was cuffing him and he pulled hands back that is resisting. It sucks he died but I've been stopped and stuff before and I just comply fuck nothing is worth dying for. I have a wife and soon to be kid at home.

Soooooo, chokehold is warranted at that point, I guess.

Slayven

Don't you see the over all problem of being scared that simple encounter with the police might end up with you dead?

You can't choke a person to death because he resisted a little.

Or don't resist. Why would you practice self defense when you already saw people dying when they raised their hands when trying to get cuffed. Just put hands behind back and lay down. Don't try to walk towards a cop...wtf you have a death wish.
Get your common sense outta here.

I'm wondering...is there any way at all that the cops could do this, and actually get arrested/be indicted?

It seems like it doesn't matter if it's an accident, if it's premeditated, if the guy was surrendering, if the guy was not surrendering, if the guy was not committing a crime, if the guy had recently committed a crime, if the guy had ever commited a crime in his life, if the person was a kid, if the person was an adult, if the person was tall and fat, or small and skinny, if they were armed, if they were unarmed, if they were brandishing cosplay props, if they were in possession of any kind of questionable item, if they were wearing a hood, or no hood/hat at all.

At what point can I get shot by cops without merit AND they are penalized criminally for it?

Is this a joke?

Like, I can maybe somehow understand not indicting wilson. There's no concrete evidence, blah blah blah, whatever.

I'm LOOKING at a picture of eric garner being choked. It's right there. I see it happening.

And yet...nothing.

SonnyBoy

Don't you see the over all problem of being scared that simple encounter with the police might end up with you dead?

I don't think everyone considers that possibility. I do. But I know people who would never think such a thing is possible. And maybe for them, its not.

deadlast

Caught on camera, and officers are not allowed to use the choke hold.

This should have been an open and shut case.

So, forgive my ignorance....Is the grand jury just like a trial jury? They get 12 people and present them evidence and they decide if this can go to trial?

Just how the hell do you see an official coroner report and say 'nope, nothing wrong here'

Can't wait to see the defense force out at full strength. I hope there's a huge civil lawsuit and the department fires him. The coroner ruled it a homicide, for shits sake.
Aren't all police killings, justified or not homicides?

Theres only 4 choices, suicide, homicide, natural causes, accident

kaskade

I was always thinking oh cameras will solve these issues. I guess not either. Would've been worse with an on body camera since it would've been pressed against him. Can't believe this.

quickwhips

I'm not scared I just don't resist if being cuffed. I was just talking about how someone said we need self defense against cops. That is just stupid. IE more people die.

sn00zer

I would say there is a weird grey area, due to lack of video, and changing testimonies and such in the Michael Brown case....this...this on the other hand is fucking carved in stone and absolutely deserves an uproar.

Paskil

I'm wondering...is there any way at all that the cops could do this, and actually get arrested/be indicted?

It seems like it doesn't matter if it's an accident, if it's premeditated, if the guy was surrendering, if the guy was not surrendering, if the guy was not committing a crime, if the guy had recently committed a crime, if the guy had ever commited a crime in his life, if the person was a kid, if the person was an adult, if the person was tall and fat, or small and skinny, if they were armed, if they were unarmed, if they were brandishing cosplay props, if they were in possession of any kind of questionable item, if they were wearing a hood, or no hood/hat at all.

At what point can I get shot by cops without merit AND they are penalized criminally for it?

Well, that one cop that was raping poor black women in Oklahoma is in the process of going through trial for doing that on duty. Maybe it's just "lesser" crimes with which they can be charged. Murder? No problem. Rape and pillage? You done goofed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom