• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

When did he actually die? I just saw on the news that EMTs did take his pulse and he was alive when they got there?
Approximately one hour after he arrived in the hospital. However the police waited SEVEN minutes until they performed CPR at him. There were multiple chances of him getting out alive.

bonercop

Don't go off topic on this thread, but I have to give a large LOL that you think that way.
grandjury.png
If that isn't grounds for a more thorough criminal investigation than I don't know what is.

Did we forget what the job of a cop is suppose to do? They aren't suppose to detain and use power to collect unarmed, non threatening citizens. They are to protect, to serve us, apply force when needed if the subject is DANGEROUS or lethal.

Well, the rub is when the person under arrest isn't wiling to submit to being arrested. There are plenty of scenarios under which unarmed nonthreatening citizens commit crimes and should be arrested. Unsurprisingly, not all folks are going to willingly be taken to the station, even if beforehand they are not exhibiting violence. How do we get those folks under arrest and moved to processing? I'm not saying chokeholds and other extreme measures, but there has to be some method of placing unwilling arrestees under arrest that involves some degree of force. court summons are only going to get you so far with even non violent crimes.

wildfire

Banned

Damian.

Banned
A lot of people think that way. Probable cause doesn't mean Wilson was guilty, it means there was enough evidence for a trial to determine if he was guilty.

But all the evidence points to the fact he wasn't guilty of anything, he was protecting himself and a man that tried to physically beat and take a police officers gun was killed.

The Garner case is a travesty and there should have been an indictment. Unfortunately a pity party sways lots of people who let their emotions about a case take over instead of looking at things logically. :/

Well, the rub is when the person under arrest isn't wiling to submit to being arrested. There are plenty of scenarios under which unarmed nonthreatening citizens commit crimes and should be arrested. Unsurprisingly, not all folks are going to willingly be taken to the station, even if beforehand they are not exhibiting violence. How do we get those folks under arrest and moved to processing? I'm not saying chokeholds and other extreme measures, but there has to be some method of placing unwilling arrestees under arrest that involves some degree of force. court summons are only going to get you so far with even non violent crimes.

It depends on what they are getting arrested for and most , if not all the time, they are not told but then pushed by force to be arrested. The question that is 99.9% asked is...

.."Why am I being arrested?"

It is their right to know, why they are being arrested. If you are arresting me because I cursed at you, that is my right. If you are arresting me because I said do not touch me, that is my right.

But when the table are turned, it's self defense. Well why can't it be self defense when someone is being detained for something they do not understand for what they are doing wrong? The natural human reaction to force is to defend. So why is it resisting for the people, self defense for cops? It's not fair and certainly not practical. We don't get to call it self defense.

Damian.

Banned
No all the evidence doesn't otherwise there wouldn't be any conflicting witnesses or forensics.

So there should have been more 'too emotionally invested in race card' witnesses to lie because they were mad at the world to come on the stand so there could have been an unnecessary case? Awesome.

wildfire

Banned
The Garner case is a travesty and there should have been an indictment. Unfortunately a pity party sways lots of people who let their emotions about a case take over instead of looking at things logically. :/

Maybe some grand jury members didn't indict because they felt pity for a cop but I guarantee none of them (who voted against pressing charges) felt like they could relate to Eric Garner.

They're a bunch dehumanizing shitheads. (yeah I get the irony in my statement to those who feel like making a pedantic response. Fuck off with your fake double standing ethics.)

Damian.

Banned
Maybe some grand jury members didn't indict because they felt pity for a cop but I guarantee none of them (who voted against pressing charges) felt like they could relate to Eric Garner.

They're a bunch dehumanizing shitheads.

In the case of Eric Garner, I fully agree. There was absolutely no reason for the man to die. The Grand Jury failed at life in this case.

But all the evidence points to the fact he wasn't guilty of anything, he was protecting himself and a man that tried to physically beat and take a police officers gun was killed.

Yeah this isn't even the thread

JDSN

Banned
So gross to read this comments about how this isnt like Brown or Martin, its the same shit and it ended the same way, its just that your standards for what constitutes a bullshit decision are so unrealistic that you draw the line at "Steady footage of guy calmly dying via chocking by cop with commentary on the victim until he dies", you are effectively a part of the problem because this total eclipse of evidence wont be seeing again for a while now, meanwhile the rest of the unfair killings will be met with the usual victim blaming.

Why even feel compelled to bring it up in the first place? It feels like an admittance of your own bias that subconsciously forces you to acknowledge this pattern of deaths.

USC-fan

Banned
I do not want to live in your world. People have the right to talk back and request to not be touched. At any time, any police officer can name anything you do as resisting arrest and you want that to be a higher crime? I'm sorry but hell the fuck no.

Did we forget what the job of a cop is suppose to do? They aren't suppose to detain and use power to collect unarmed, non threatening citizens. They are to protect, to serve us, apply force when needed if the subject is DANGEROUS or lethal.

Where in your right mind do you believe that resisting should be a higher charge and also, alluding that the solution should be fighting it in the court room? What court room? The ones that even a situation like this where death happened and it won't see the light of day to a judge? And the countless others in which cops continue to get a free pass?

The solution is for cops to be held accountable point blank period. That IS the only solution. We, the people, don't have a get out of jail free card (especially when black) but they do. There should never have been an us against them. But that's what it is now.

Body cams don't give faith to shit if even this one that was recorded was also thrown aside.

You have no right to not to be touch when you get arrested. With police getting cams it should be easy to see if someone is resisting or not.

Dangerous or not you still have to arrest someone that committed a crime. If you resist they have to take you down. It not like the police are just going to say while since you are resisting for this minor crime we are not going to arrest you.

It should be a higher crime. then people wouldnt do it. that how our system works. If a police officer wants to arrest you let him. You will still have your day in court. Being arrested doesnt mean you are guilty. Nothing goods comes from fighting a police officer.

Accountable to what standards? We have laws in this nation and both times they went in front of a jury of their peers. They couldn't find enough wrong to take it any farther.

commedieu

Banned
So there should have been more 'too emotionally invested in race card' witnesses to lie because they were mad at the world to come on the stand so there could have been an unnecessary case? Awesome.

There was enough contradicting reports to have a trial. None of what you're saying has anything to do with that fact. You know the response you're going to get to calling it a Pity party as well.

Its not cool to stir shit up. Well, no, its always cool to stir shit up. But at least have valid points. You said you'd "LOL" at anyone thinking there should be a trial for Brown. A lot of people do, including lawyers and judges: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/...-seeks-federal-charges-against-darren-wilson/

You understand that its nothing like what you're describing, 100%, at all..? All of your posts are tasteless.

bonercop

so every witness that testified that Brown immediatly put up his hands( everyone barring witness 10 and 30) are 'too emotionally invested in race card' witnesses? You base that on what?

i think your comments here are pretty revealing about your own biases.

EDIT:

and also, no, I don't think debunking the zombie lies from the Micheal Brown case is off-topic. You shouldn't let the absurd mental-gymnastics people go through to justify police force go unchallenged.

JudgeN

Except they didn't even test his gun for finger prints, almong a shit ton other holes in that case. But hey when your prosecutor doesn't want case to go to trial these things happen right?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/25/ferguson-grand-jury-evidence-mistakes_n_6220814.html

Police should be able to deal with some resistance without going completely ham on someone. People don't want to be arrested, ever, so a little resistance is to be expected. In this case the resistance seemed more of a token than dangerous. It's their job and you would hope their training would prepare them to deal with it in a reasonably safe way.

You have no right to not to be touch when you get arrested. With police getting cams it should be easy to see if someone is resisting or not.

Yet, the cop didn't see not a day in court "With video evidence" lol. And yes the fuck I do have the right to not be touched. Umm what?!

Dangerous or not you still have to arrest someone that committed a crime. If you resist they have to take you down. It not like the police are just going to say while since you are resisting for this minor crime we are not going to arrest you.

Many people are arrested that HAS NOT committed a crime. Especially in this case where he has not committed a crime right then and there. And the cops were not there for him. they were there for a fight that broke out in which they were called for. Eric broke up the fight and they wanted to press him over charges that no longer applied to him. In easier words, they wanted to fuck with him..because they could. They had no reason, and made up some shit to justify why they had to detain him.

Once again, the natural human reaction is to defend. No one is going to be taken down by force willingly especially if they know they haven't done anything wrong.

It should be a higher crime. then people wouldn't do it. that how our system works. If a police officer wants to arrest you let him. You will still have your day in court. Being arrested does mean you are guilty. Nothing goods comes from fighting a police officer.

There really is no use to even giving a proper rebuttal to this. Point blank period, I am not suppose to fear police and allow them to extort their power over me because they want to. And I know, with absolutely no doubt in my mind, I will not get a day in court dead or alive. Please don't give me this "Trust the system" bullshit when obviously, for years...that has never been the case. The system doesn't work and it will never work

Accountable to what standards? We have laws in this nation and both times they went in front of a jury of their peers. They couldn't find enough wrong to take it any farther.

This was a manslaughter and thy could of certainly charged him with something. Especially using illegal force that is banned by their own department. There's no suspension. There's no doc from pay. There's no unemployment. It's just work as usual. "Oh yeah, he dies. Typical work casualty. Moving along."

And in your paragraph above you are saying that "You will have your day in court"?

When? Please....

rjinaz

The Grand Jury got it right with the Michael Brown case but horribly wrong in this case, murder is out, but the cop should have gotten indicted on criminally negligent homicide and manslaughter especially since he used a banned maneuver. Fucking ridiculous.

... no. The grand jury got it wrong. There was plenty evidence for probable cause.

Don't go off topic on this thread, but I have to give a large LOL that you think that way.

Back on topic. What chance is there for a civil lawsuit in this case?

Lol at telling somebody not to go off topic when you started the off topic.

Damian.

Banned
Lol at telling somebody not to go off topic when you started the off topic.

I don't see what you did there. :p I commented on this thread, but was also curious to see who could actually comprehend the differences in the two cases and the ACTUAL travesty in this particular case and who was just blindly hive-minding the race train again.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Listening to some talk radio during lunch, the following points are interesting with this case:

1. Eric Garner was selling loose cigs, this prompted some store owner to report this to police, as a result, police were specifically called out to Eric Garner for selling cigs, which in NYC is a crime (laughable in my opinion).

2. In the video, the one doing the filming says this is what happens when you try to break up a fight, you get arrested, I find that odd...nowhere in the video does it mention he's selling cigs.

3. Radio points out that just recently NYC passed a new law enforcement of making the selling of black market cigs a crime, thus what Eric Garner was doing was a crime.

4. Eric Garner was selling the cigs because he could barely get by with money.

5. The cops were called to the scene because Eric Garner was selling loose cigs illegally, the cops were SPECIFICALLY called to arrest Eric Garner for selling cigs.

6. Mainstream media is using this as a racial case.

7. The truthers are saying it's nothing to do with race, it's to do with NYC taxing the cigs so high and if a citizen is selling the cigs to people on the street, NYC is not getting the tax money from the cigs from additional selling, thus they're calling it a crime to do so.

In my opinion, it's NYC who should be charged with the death of Eric Garner. The choke hold was uncessarry, but beyond that, arresting the guy for selling cigs to people is hardly a crime in my opinion, but that's how it is in NYC.

:(

wildfire

Banned
I don't see what you did there. :p I commented on this thread, but was also curious to see who could actually comprehend the differences in the two cases and the ACTUAL travesty in this particular case and who was just blindly hive-minding the race train again.

*rolls eyes*

It depends on what they are getting arrested for and most , if not all the time, they are not told but then pushed by force to be arrested. The question that is 99.9% asked is...

.."Why am I being arrested?"

It is their right to know, why they are being arrested. If you are arresting me because I cursed at you, that is my right. If you are arresting me because I said do not touch me, that is my right.

But when the table are turned, it's self defense. Well why can't it be self defense when someone is being detained for something they do not understand for what they are doing wrong? The natural human reaction to force is to defend. So why is it resisting for the people, self defense for cops? It's not fair and certainly not practical. We don't get to call it self defense.

I believe the right to know what you are being arrested for at the moment you are being arrested is jurisdiction dependant. The arrestee will learn the charges at the arraignment later as consistent witht the U.S. constitution. The arresting officer may not even know himself what the charges are as he does not determine the charges, just the probable cause for arrest. Further, there are a ton of arrests wherein the arresting officer actually has no clue about anything other than there is an open warrant for charge x for the person, they literally know nothing other than who they are looking for.

Regarding the why and practicality, there is a forum by which legal disputes are resolved and that is not the location of the arrest.

commedieu

Banned

Why are you being this way Damian? Honestly. You have to know that this is just the wrong direction to go. You don't have the correct information about the GJ in the Mike Brown case. And you're still here trying to throw out things like hive minding the race train?

Mully

being rational hasn't worked. peaceful protest hasn't worked. voting hasn't worked. WHAT THEN WILL WORK?

So far in NY, this has worked so far. They've received a lot of support after the protests last night.

Throwing signs at cops instigates cops and shows to other protesters it's okay to be violent. It shouldn't matter if cops have treated them badly, the protesters should act above the cops.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Why it’s so difficult to charge police officers who kill

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...to-charge-police-officers-who-kill/?tid=hp_mm

The case that gave rise to the court’s “reasonableness” standard — and ultimately had such impact on cases such as Michael Brown’s in Ferguson, Mo., and Garner’s in New York — involved a man named Dethorne Graham, a diabetic with low blood sugar thought to be drunk when stopped by police in Charlotte, N.C., in 1984.

Graham asked a friend to drive him to a convenience store for some orange juice when he felt an insulin reaction coming on. When he saw the long line, he quickly left and asked the friend to drive him to another friend’s house. Police thought he looked suspicious, followed him and stopped the car. Other officers arrived at the scene.

Graham got out of the car and passed out. A cop rolled him over and handcuffed Graham while his friend pleaded for police to get Graham some sugar. Graham regained consciousness and asked the officers to check his wallet for a diabetic decal that he carried. In response, one of them told him to “shut up” and shoved his face against the hood of the car. They threw Graham headfirst into the police car. Graham’s foot was broken, and his shoulder injured.

Graham sued the police, alleging excessive force. He lost.

He appealed his case to the Supreme Court. The court’s 1989 ruling in Graham v. Connor spelled out a legal standard that shaped how juries weigh evidence when considering charges of excessive force.

“The question is whether the officers’ actions are ‘objectively reasonable’ in light of the facts and circumstances confronting them, without regard to their underlying intent or motivation,” Chief Justice William Rehnquist wrote in the opinion.

“The ‘reasonableness’ of a particular use of force must be judged from the perspective of a reasonable officer on the scene, rather than with the 20/20 vision of hindsight,” Rehnquist explained in the opinion. “The calculus of reasonableness must embody allowance for the fact that police officers are often forced to make split-second judgments — in circumstances that are tense, uncertain, and rapidly evolving — about the amount of force that is necessary in a particular situation.”

The word “objective” is important. It means a jury can’t take into account an officer’s subjective beliefs, including his prejudices and biases, when deciding if his actions were reasonable or not.

This is laughable, so much so that I don't even think you deserve a rebuttal.

Indicate

Mayor Bill de Blasio press conference right now on CNN.

Great mayor. He really understands that change is needed and that the entire NYPD will go through retraining. St. Louis/Ferguson and other cities should take note.

"Race train" so I see where we stand here

TTUVAPOR

Banned
So racist, moronic cops on a power trip get the benefit of doubt.

I don't view it as racism, it's power trips.

Cops are going overboard arresting someone and making these split-second decisions without considering other things.

It's no different than Eric Garner saying he can't breath. They probably told him to shut up too. The guy in the 80s who said please look in my wallet for his diabetic card, they told him to shut up. Those cops are insane to not take into consideration what's going on.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Mayor Bill de Blasio press conference right now on CNN.

Great mayor. He really understands that change is needed and that the entire NYPD will go through retraining. St. Louis/Ferguson and other cities should take note.

Well to me, it's like the other day when there was the chase scene that was posted on gaf. When the guy's truck crashed and flipped over, the police approached his vehicle with with three cops, one with a pistol, the other two with M4s...really?

I understand being paranoid but damn, sometimes I think they do go overboard.

I was pulled over one time for driving in Austin, Texas the wrong way on a one way street. I was visiting a friend, didn't have one single drink at all, I just didn't know my way around.

One cop pulled me over, he had a partner. The partner went to the passenger side of my vehicle, and the other cop spoke to me at the drivers window. He specifically asked me several questions of why am I here, why did I not see the cars pointed in one direction, where am I going, where am I from, etc. Then a second and third cop cars show up...now for a total of six cops....just for me being pulled over going the wrong way down a one way road.

That much back up for my little fck up? By the way, I'm white and they gave me a warning after 45 minutes of sitting there. Ridiculous yes, but I was patient with them. Excessive? Definitely.

Also, the other morning on the way to work, a guy was being arrested in a gas station parking lot around 6 AM, I counted six cop cars surrounding this guy...I think he was just a homeless drunk, but I'm thinking...six cop cars for this one dude?

Toxi

Banned
Why do people talk about Eric Garner resisting arrest? He was keeping his hands up and just waved away attempts to touch him for a second before the cops began choking him. If that constitutes resistance, that's a really fucking low bar. There was no fight or struggle.

SeanR1221

Why do people talk about Eric Garner resisting arrest? He was keeping his hands up and just waved away attempts to touch him for a second before the cops began choking him. If that constitutes resistance, that's a really fucking low bar. There was no fight or struggle.

And the worst part is, on my Facebook, that's what the goal post has moved towards.

"If he had just complied he wouldn't be dead!"

Yeah I'm sure if many people had just ______ they wouldn't be dead. Jesus.

Cyan

Banned

It should be a higher crime. then people wouldnt do it. that how our system works. If a police officer wants to arrest you let him. You will still have your day in court. Being arrested doesnt mean you are guilty. Nothing goods comes from fighting a police officer.

Or--here's a crazy thought--maybe we could somehow punish the behavior we actually want to stop here, cops killing innocent people?

Nah, too far.

Effnine

I'll never understand this mindset ... just completely boggles the mind that people can be so heartless toward other human beings ...

Volimar

oh for fuck's sake

Arizona Police Officer Shoots Dead Unarmed Black Man During Scuffle

http://pzfeed.com/arizona-police-officer-shoots-dead-unarmed-black-man-scuffle/

A Phoenix police officer shot to death an unarmed black man during a struggle and authorities said the officer believed the individual had a gun, in the latest fatal incident amid national turmoil over the policing of black communities.

The Phoenix Police Department said Rumain Brisbon, 34, was sitting in a black Cadillac SUV outside a convenience store on Tuesday evening, and that two witnesses told the officer the occupants of the vehicle were selling drugs.

With police forces across the country under increased scrutiny over killings of unarmed black men, Phoenix police said in a statement that its officer called for backup, and then saw Brisbon appear to remove something from the car’s back seat.

“The officer gave the suspect several commands to get on the ground but he refused to comply, yelling profanities at the officer,” said the police statement issued on Wednesday.

At that point a resident opened an apartment door and both men stumbled into her home, it said, adding that the officer was unable to keep a grip on the suspect’s hand.

“Fearing Brisbon had a gun in his pocket the officer fired two rounds striking Brisbon in the torso,” it said. (REUTERS)

TTUVAPOR

Banned
oh for fuck's sake

Arizona Police Officer Shoots Dead Unarmed Black Man During Scuffle

http://pzfeed.com/arizona-police-officer-shoots-dead-unarmed-black-man-scuffle/

Not trying to be a hard ass here, but when a cop says to do something, I'd just do it. Whether it's against my rights or not, I'm doing it, for my own life's sake. I'll fight the cop later, through non-physical means.

“The officer gave the suspect several commands to get on the ground but he refused to comply, yelling profanities at the officer,” said the police statement issued on Wednesday.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Not trying to be a hard ass here, but when a cop says to do something, I'd just do it. Whether it's against my rights or not, I'm doing it, for my own life's sake. I'll fight the cop later, through non-physical means.

Well, except for the guy that was shot for getting his papers....after being asked to get his papers. Yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom