• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Staten Island Grand Jury Does Not Indict in Eric Garner Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corgi

Banned
From what I understand, the prosecution was tasked with trying to prove malicious intent. Meaning they were trying to prove that the officer intended to hurt/kill Eric Garner which obviously wasn't the case. It was an accident caused by blatant negligence. I've asked twice in this thread why they tried to charge him with that instead of involuntary manslaughter and no one has been able to provide insight.

In summary: Everybody knows shit fuck.

the only 'logical' reason is political, push that shit up to the DoJ.

thats about all i got...

Mononoke

Banned
Can someone explain to me how this happened? There is video evidence of the officer using an illegal chokehold and the coroner has ruled it a homicide. How the hell is this not going to trial?

Grand Jury must be racist, stupid or I dunno? I wonder what other evidence they were presented on top of the video that made them side with the cop?

My guess is, they framed it as Garner being a criminal with 30 prior arrests. He was someone breaking the law. The cop therefore was just doing his job detaining him and Garner resisted.

All of that might be true, but doesn't excuse the chokehold and excessive force. That is where I don't get how they can side with poloce. Because even if he resisted that itself does not excuse or lead to being put into a chokehold.

I'm kind of curious how this case was presented to the grand jury. If the charges were malicious intent to murder, then maybe while the grand jury didn't like the cop or what he did, they didn't think there was proof of him maliciously or intentionally seeking out to kill him. And with them framing it as Garner breaking the law and resisting arrest...

Only thing I can think of.

America has always been quick to side with the law and have zero sympathy with someone breaking the law. Wouldn't surprise me if this is another case of a jury focusing on him breaking the law and believing that he wouldn't be dead if he only hadn't been breaking the law. If he hadn't resisted arrest. I saw some people on here making that argument.

Problem with that is, breaking the law and resisting arrest does not justify a chokehold. Therefore bringing up that other stuff is IMO victim blaming.

From what I understand, the prosecution was tasked with trying to prove malicious intent. Meaning they were trying to prove that the officer intended to hurt/kill Eric Garner which obviously wasn't the case. It was an accident caused by blatant negligence. I've asked twice in this thread why they tried to charge him with that instead of involuntary manslaughter and no one has been able to provide insight.

In summary: Everybody knows shit fuck.

Because they didn't want an indictment

Is anyone on the grand jury allowed to speak up after the fact? I imagine that the grand jury was not shown the video at all. That is the only possible way that no incident was reached.

If I was on the grand jury and realized after finding out by the media after the fact that I've been misled/lied to would make me furious.

Averon

What I don't get is why is the local prosecutor charged with bringing charges to officers? Isn't there conflict of interest there? The prosecutor and the police work closely together on a daily basis, so relationships, even friendships, form between the two offices.

There should be an outside prosecutor for these incidents.

Volimar

It's amazing that guy hasn't dropped dead yet from obesity.

He's clearly in terrible health and ready to go at any moment from any sort of provocation.

Even the excitement of getting himself onto TV must have sent his overworked heart racing off the clif.

Dude, the guy's dead and he had asthma, no need to knock him for his weight...

It's amazing that guy hasn't dropped dead yet from obesity.

He's clearly in terrible health and ready to go at any moment from any sort of provocation.

Even the excitement of getting himself onto TV must have sent his overworked heart racing off the clif.
Haha, what if he just had a heart attack on camera right after?

Sean*O

Zero accountability for cops, the whole system needs a reboot. The justice system cannot be allowed to continually cover it's own ass just because they fear losing their powers.

Time to clean house, starting with those under whose authority it was determined there would be no indictment in this case. Let's change the way cops are taught to deal with situations and make them just as susceptible to the laws of this Country as any other citizen.

It has to start somewhere.

Funny how that story will NEVER make the mainstream news. If it weren't for your post, I would have never seen that story.

I rest my case, skin color doesn't matter. It's power trips. Not ruling racism out 100%, but there are good cops and bad cops, and the bad ones do have power trips.

Don't be naive. Of course skin color matters. How law enforcement and white America in general views the black male is at the heart of this case.

rjinaz

Yeah I know. Just seems like a very arbitrary insult to throw out there, especially considering the weight of the victim in this case.

Read youtube or forum comments (if you dare) about the death when it happened. Even police officers were mocking his weight in forums. There is a nasty, nasty prejudice against heavy people. It seems that to some, if you are overweight, you deserve your own death regardless of the circumstances.

What I don't get is why is the local prosecutor charged with bringing charges to officers? Isn't there conflict of interest there? The prosecutor and the police work closely together on a daily basis, so relationships, even friendships, form between the two offices.

There should be an outside prosecutor for these incidents.

Everyone who actually thinks about this is wondering the same thing.

Don't be naive. Of course skin color matters. How law enforcement and white America in general views the black male is at the heart of this case.
I wouldn't say it's at the heart of it. It definitely has a large component, and it's the reason it's such a big deal now as opposed to before, but the central issue is police brutality and lack of accountability I think.

Also, that "he was fat and had asthma thing so he died" thing is probably true... But that's only once you add in the fact that he was being choked, so it doesn't really matter. Like if I punch a guy to death and he does earlier than another person because he has some disease, it doesn't really change the fact that I punched a guy to death.

I wouldn't say it's at the heart of it. It definitely has a large component, and it's the reason it's such a big deal now as opposed to before, but the central issue is police brutality and lack of accountability I think.

Also, that "he was fat and had asthma thing so he died" thing is probably true... But that's only once you add in the fact that he was being choked, so it doesn't really matter. Like if I punch a guy to death and he does earlier than another person because he has some disease, it doesn't really change the fact that I punched a guy to death.
Lol. Why do you always do this? If you weren't already dishonest enough.

In other news, I entirely expect the Justice Department to futz around for years on this without making an definitive statement one way or another. That seems to be their MO on these sorts of cases, at least under Holder: Investigate(?) but don't come to a conclusion.

Lime

With the centuries of oppression and genocide against Black Americans, one could think that they deserve a piece of land with self-rule and self-determination like what Jewish people got after WW2.

What's the point of body cameras on cops then? This is such a clear case of murder that was all caught on tape and yet it's not even going to trial. You can't even pin this on some weak ass shit like shady witnesses or the cops defending themselves. It's just, I can't even process it. Fucking infuriating.

What's the point of body cameras on cops then? This is such a clear case of murder that was all caught on tape and yet it's not even going to trial. You can't even pin this on some weak ass shit like shady witnesses or the cops defending themselves. It's just, I can't even process it. Fucking infuriating.

At this point? To protect the cops when they can demonstrate they didn't do something wrong. Like so many things with police, it only counts if it benefits them.

tbm24

Well, people assumed if cops are caught on camera that it would make a difference. What this case and the Ferguson case has shown is that what's broken is the system itself. Not that there's a lack of evidence to charge cops.

Volimar

It'll probably help in the civil case at least...

Volimar

THE END IS NIGH!

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/apexchange/2014/12/04/us--police-chief-murder-charge.html

SC cop charged with murder in unarmed man shooting

ORANGEBURG, S.C. (AP) — A white man who was the police chief in a small South Carolina town has been charged with murder in the 2011 shooting death of an unarmed black man.

Richard Combs worked in Eutawville when 54-year-old Bernard Bailey came to Town Hall to argue about his daughter's broken-taillight ticket. Combs and Bailey briefly fought, and the police chief shot Bailey twice in the chest.

A grand jury indicted Combs on Wednesday, the same day a New York grand jury refused to indict an officer in the chokehold death of an unarmed black man. It's more than a week after a grand jury refused to indict an officer in the death of unarmed Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri.

Combs' lawyer says the officer feared for his life. Prosecutors say he was the aggressor. He's no longer with the police department.

Eutawville's population is just over 300 people. About one-third are black.

flkraven

I don't care how much someone resists arrest, anyone that is unarmed and outnumbered cannot be killed by police or any officer of the state. It is unacceptable. This should see a courtroom at the very least...

Cagey

Banned
Yeah I know. Just seems like a very arbitrary insult to throw out there, especially considering the weight of the victim in this case.

Well, obese isn't automatically an insult when it's factual, but that's not the point I was making.

In order to minimize the role that a police officer choking Eric Garner played in the choking death of Eric Garner, people are harping on the fact that he was a "ticking time bomb" with his lifestyle, namely being morbidly obese. Downplay the officer's actions and jump straight to another form of victim blaming: "he was in terrible health, anything could have done him in, the move wasn't a chokehold and it wouldn't have killed someone who wasn't in bad health!"

Though I should have put some sort of signifier in my post identifying it as sarcasm.

Volimar

Well, obese isn't automatically an insult when it's factual, but that's not the point I was making.

In order to minimize the role that a police officer choking Eric Garner played in the choking death of Eric Garner, people are harping on the fact that he was a "ticking time bomb" with his lifestyle, namely being morbidly obese. Downplay the officer's actions and jump straight to another form of victim blaming: "he was in terrible health, anything could have done him in, the move wasn't a chokehold and it wouldn't have killed someone who wasn't in bad health!"

Though I should have put some sort of signifier in my post identifying it as sarcasm.

Yeah I didn't know you were alluding to the articles blaming Garner's death on his obesity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom