• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Status of Running the Silent Hill Games on PC? How Easy/Difficult These Days?

SOLDIER

I've had a hankering to revisit the Silent Hill games lately, and I really would like to play the best possible versions of each of the original 4. I know we've had threads in the past in modding SH2 and SH3 to A) work properly and B) display resolutions and graphical settings far exceeding the original console releases as well as that utter embarrassment of an HD collection.

I just wanted to know where the games currently stand now. I recall trying to get SH2 to run on PC, but ran into the problem of long load times, particularly when opening up the map. I recall having a much smoother experience with SH3, but I believe there was the occasional crash and whatnot. I also haven't heard anything at all regarding SH4 on PC.

So how are things now with getting the PC versions to run? Have things been smoothed out? Is it better to play the console games on PCSX2 instead with the settings cranked up? What about the original Silent Hill? Enlighten me.

LUXURY

There is this thread that can help.

You also got good ol pcgamingwiki, too.

Yeas. That thread got me running Silent Hill 2 and 3 in 1080p with astounding quality. Follow that guide and you'll be fine. I think running them on emulators may prove to be a bit more of an experimental thing as there are so many settings and options to try. The PC ones (I bought both, but they can be expensive) weren't very hard to configure following the guide.

That thread has everything you need to know, except for SH4. The nemesis wrapper for that game fixes some frame rate issues, but it also introduces various bugs related to the framerate, you can no longer move while readying your weapon and the game is technically impossible to finish because it introduces a game breaking bug in the final boss fight. I would say it's the only entry where you should still track down a ps2/xbox copy.

Lime

SH2, 3, and 4proxy all make this piss-easy compared to previous fixes. Huge thanks to the hardworking people out there doing the good work!

Read the posted thread or use pcgamingwiiki.

Atolm

I think the biggest problem is to obtain them legally tbh. My computer doesn't have a DVD drive anymore and they aren't available at any digital service.

It's amazing how clueless Konami is regarding to PC. Even Capcom actually cared enough to make a second port of RE4 after the mess the first one was

SOLDIER

Thanks for the info everyone.

But what about original Silent Hill? Is there any mods or configs that really improve that game?

Top Bottom