• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Notlikethis.gif

I still thirst for Bayonetta and Vanquish but would certainly take Virtua Fighter 5FS.

Bayonetta is probably going to be the first belated port that isn't Sonic or something "smaller" like Valkyria Chronicles given a PC version exists internally that is far enough along to support 3D Vision, but, yeah, Vanquish definitely tops my list.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
### LONG POST ###
(but not that long :D)

Anyone seen this? GTA V last of us mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v5hQHyCYG8
Looking pretty great!
GTAV has such a great engine, such a shame it's stuck to a GTA game.

So now my TomBraider save gets stuck at the loading screen.

Sweeeeet.
Pretty funny considering Lara doesn't have a braid anymore XD

If there is ever another Simpson's game, I want it based on this concept:

tumblr_nq36uxavYQ1tpri36o1_400.gif
Damn, seriously.
Would be cool to play as Ultrahomer, Astrobart, Sailor Lisa, Pikamaggie and Gatchamarge.

Remember to check if the games can be played in other regions. Some games can only be activated and played from Brazil now.
Yep, so annoying because some prices are great while us south of the border get fucked. I mean, they annexed us once, they could throw us a bone.

how is hyde from l'arc~en~ciel looking so young in his 40s

wtf

and space marine still looks neat
Asian magic or something, just look at Ming Na Wen (who plays Agent May in Agents of SHIELD), she's 52 and could pass as a 30-something.

Looks like I sent your invite to More_Badass instead. I'll send another one.

Edit: Whoops, that one went to MHWilliams. How do I keep missing?
Oh, more mods?
I thought the 3 added yesterday were it :O
I'm still surprised a thread announcing them was not made.

100% RT YES
I wonder how much it'll end up dropping, seems like it'll likely be in the 70%-80% range

Literally 2 people in this thread will know what the fuck you are talking about

Youre one of them
I assume you were not counting yourself there, but in any case definitely more than 2 since I do know what he's talking about :p

Thats insulting, he's a DC fanboy
Potato, potato.

Just play Scribblenauts and paint all the things you create green.
That's actually pretty brilliant.

Oh hey, remember when Felicity dressed like a normal person?

Funky Papa is a mod?
Holy shit this just too much..
I can't.

You guys missed JaseC. If anyone deserves an red name, he is the one.
I mentioned it a few pages ago and was thoroughly ignored :(

Interesting tactic, let's see if it works this time.
#dead

Man, I really wish I never purchased The Witness.
I went into it 100% blind and promised myself to never check for hints or such.

After a while I got stuck on a puzzle
(Jungle section)
and couldn't for the life of me figure it out.
I tried everything multiple times, and I really mean everything (solved almost all other sections).
I was pretty certain it had something to do with
sound
due to various stuff, but the
camo
on the panels put me off and I tried everything else a few more times when
maxing the volume
didnt work for me.
After a long time and a lot of headache, I was so sure it just HAD to do something with
sound
, I just said fuck it and checked for a hint.
Look and behold, I was right.

So much time wasted for a puzzle that's so badly designed I can't solve it even when
maxing the volume
I'm hearing impaired, and while it's kinda bad, I can hear most stuff and I actually solved the maze pre-patch.
(specific puzzle hint)
They should put out warnings for games that some gamers just simply cannot complete, now I feel with those who are color blind.

This really bummed me out a lot, now I have to complete a full section using a walkthrough and I paid full price for a limited experience.

Spoilers for a small hint for a full section.
Actually the vast, vast majority of games have severe issues with accessibility, which is absolutely annoying and I'm surprised that so far not much effort has been made to change that (Sony at least added some OS level options in PS4, but not enough).
And most of the time it's something that's mostly easy to fix, like for example I basically can't play text heavy games in portables because they usually use some godawful small fonts so I can't read shit, and this could be fixed by simply changing the font size.
Same with colorblindness, since it's changing the color palette.

Just buy everything and then not play it, like a true SteamGAFer.

What happened in 2013? You've got my curiosity.
Modbot growing pains and javadots mostly.

Tbh I would probably vote Rogue Legacy for GOTY. Can't think of anything better that year except maybe Sonic Racing Transformed.

2013 was very underwhelming.
SAINTS ROW IV

Dark Echo is

Dark Echo is a nice little game, it's both a puzzle game and a stealth game (kind of?) and has a really nice sound design.. It's a nice game to play in short bursts.. basically you walk around and your footsteps create sound waves that bounce around walls so you know where to go, but then they add enemies and that is where the puzzle/stealth elements come in..

You should buy it if you can afford it

it's on sale
I'll be honest, I actually bought this because it appeared in my feed... because you bought it :O

Wow, not even Nintendo rejected the game.

Sometime in the future they'll make a movie out of the story why I never became a GAF mod.

ur a shit game :mad:
I'm sure it's because at some point you changed your Red Dead Revolver avatar.

Pascal isn't as far along as some sites said it was. It's still another five months away at the very least.
Even if it's probably true in this case, I'd always, *always* take what Charlie Demerjian says with a truckload of salt.

Thanks for the nightmares :(

I think I managed 24 hours without a single crash. Is crashing a common issue for people?
I haven't had a single crash with the game either. Also it does work quite nicely given I'm underspecced for it (using the mobile equivalent of the HD7770)

zkylon

zkylewd
man, the mod tools for x-com 2 are 40 gigs

at this rate never gonna get this done

Please, Zkylon doesn't play that trash.
it doesn't look bad, but i wouldn't get into another moba anyways

i only played a tiny bit of doto cos ppl kept asking me too .__.

1v1 irl m8

Yeah BZ does sales, but that only applies to cash money not in-game gold.
it's the same for league

unless you're doto and you can afford to just be a giant ad for steam, selling champions is these games' business model just as much as selling skins

league slowly reduces the soft currency costs of champions but yeah, generally your options are to pay up or be without many champions for a long time

if you got friends that's not much a problem cos you're having fun figuring out the game anyways by just playing the free champions (and i'll argue this has the side effect of making new players only have to learn a few champions at a time, instead of having the entire roster to deal with)

i've been playing it for almost 4 years and all the money i've spent has been on skins and i have all the champions i want and runes and all that crap

could and should be cheaper for soft currency but it's not such a big deal if you have friends

If I didn't live in a 3rd world country where PC parts are expensive to get and face constant power issues for 3~6 hours, then I would :p

I got tired of that and went with this route.
Well all laptops have awful cooling except the Asus ones that look like fighter jets and weigh a ton. Or extra awful cooling if you have HP.

I never checked how much of a difference it made (Don't know a decent temp checking program) but it has made a difference.

Can't play divinity os ee without it for example D:
In that case, you should open your case and check for dust.
Edit: depending on the brand, doing so might void your warranty.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Well all laptops have awful cooling except the Asus ones that look like fighter jets and weigh a ton. Or extra awful cooling if you have HP.
kevinspaceyWRONG.jpg

Only awful laptops have awful cooling, check the reviews in notebookcheck, they detail and test the cooling and temps of a shit-ton laptops.

I never checked how much of a difference it made (Don't know a decent temp checking program) but it has made a difference.

Can't play divinity os ee without it for example D:

That's a good point. I haven't done that in a while. >_>
Use HWMonitor.

In that case, you should open your case and check for dust.
Edit: depending on the brand, doing so might void your warranty.
I'll look into that. Thanks for all the suggestions.

kevinspaceyWRONG.jpg

Only awful laptops have awful cooling, check the reviews in notebookcheck, they detail and test the cooling and temps of a shit-ton laptops.

Use HWMonitor.
Ah, forgot about it. Thanks!

kevinspaceyWRONG.jpg

Use HWMonitor.
Do they have 30 degrees Celsius CPU idle and 60 under max load?

Yeah, it's great. It's got a wonderful cyberpunk atmosphere, with neon and rain soaked streets, filled with a diverse mish-mash of cultures that just feed into a sense of alienation with the City. The combat offers a lot of flexibility, and you can approach missions in a lot of different ways.

Only literal psychopaths could withstand the stress of curating YouTube comments. Speaking of, if I don't buy any video games over the next few months, this is why.

Tell me about this gun. It looks amazing and also like it costs a lot.

Salsa

well im moving the witcher 3 from the SSD for a while. probably till new DLC

XCOM 2 performance is already bad but I dont wanna deal with load times on top of that

X05

Of course not, that seems to be a very specific benchmark that in the grand scheme of things doesn't really matter because an intel CPU can handle up to ~100°C (at 105°C it turns itself off to avoid damage). I would consider a great laptop cooling one that gets an i7 at around 80°C under load with no throttling, while keeping your ears sane and not burning your fingers or lap :p

here's a question for anyone here that's knowledgeable about monitors...

I have a 290X so Freesync is something that I could use but most monitors I've seen that are able to do it are way out of my price range. I saw a ViewSonic VX2457-MHD at Newegg that is sub $200 and still Freesync ready. Is the monitor itself good? I think it's new so there's not that many reviews that I can actually find.

Of course not, that seems to be a very specific benchmark that in the grand scheme of things doesn't really matter because an intel CPU can handle up to ~100°C (at 105°C it turns itself off to avoid damage). I would consider a great laptop cooling one that gets an i7 at around 80°C under load with no throttling, while keeping your ears sane and not burning your fingers or lap :p

My lappy reaches 90-95°C under max load and it's lasted over 4 years. And I moved it a lot, too.
Even though a laptop can endure that high a temperature, the heat and noise it generates makes laptops far from an optimal gaming experience.

I had water go into my watch once, I dried it by playing Borderlands 2.

Finally got around to finishing Transistor, and I am rather regretting that I did not do so before. But on the other hand, starting over with a better grasp of the combat system, and playing through a few of the trials for tips (which I had skipped before), made it a much more pleasant experience (
except for the last fight, which was rather infuriating
). The story felt much more intimate than Bastion, in part thanks to closer the connection that the characters had to the Cloudbank, thanks to the fact that the narrator was there, and thanks to
the fact that Red spoke directly to the narrator at times. In fact, way they choose do the latter (via her writing on terminals) was a nice touch

Has SuperGiant games given any indication of what, if anything, they are working on now?

tuxfool

Banned
Even though a laptop can endure that high a temperature, the heat and noise it generates makes laptops far from an optimal gaming experience.

Mobile dies actually tend to be much more tolerant of higher temperatures because they can't count on robust cooling solutions.

Dsyndrome

Playing Enemy Within, slowly moving one of the Slingshot DLC missions on the huge alien ship, then out pops this fucking disc thing that morphs into a monstrosity of a porcupine mech, and of course he gets to go on his first appearance in the game, 12-pt critical against one of my dudes, he's gone obviously.

Reload to a turn or two prior since that was BULLSHIT, and not only does the dude do the same thing, it's a 13-pt critical now against the same guy.

RIP, Corporal. Not even savescumming could prevent your death.
Interesting, but that doesn't change the fact that laptops tend to have less than optimal cooling solutions.
I have RAM heatsinks all over the inside of mine; occassionally the adhesive will go away, so it has to be replaced. Relatively cheap, has worked out well thus far.

tuxfool

Banned
Interesting, but that doesn't change the fact that laptops tend to have less than optimal cooling solutions.

Yup. Most tasks on computers tend to be bursty, and there the fact that the computer is idle for longer periods of time means that cooling is perfectly adequate. This clearly isn't the case for games or workstation like tasks.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's not a spider and it's not ur fault or anything and there's no need to edit it or anything, but scrolling quick through that picture totally fired my spidey sense haha

also games like xcom usually have anti-xcom measures like seeded dice rolls to prevent ppl from just save scumming over and over until they get the roll they want

but yeah, dead corporals hurt so much

rip :<

Knurek

Chapter 8 of TitS SC done.

I'm not even going to whine about the crimes about good game design Falcom likes to make. That cutscene at the end was hella epic.
Such a pity we're never getting the sequels

it's not a spider and it's not ur fault or anything and there's no need to edit it or anything, but scrolling quick through that picture totally fired my spidey sense haha

also games like xcom usually have anti-xcom measures like seeded dice rolls to prevent ppl from just save scumming over and over until they get the roll they want

but yeah, dead corporals hurt so much

rip :<

Didn't the first XCOM have an option to either restore or re-seed the RNG when you reloaded? In practice, it doesn't really make much difference, since you can save-scum in both cases by either trying the same action again (for re-seeding) or just doing something different (for seed restored and re-seeding).

But yes, RIP.

bigzgod

Kind of close. I asked a friend of mine for his temps on his gaming laptop.

At max load, the GPU temps hit a max of 60C. At idle/basic browsing, it was 33C.

At max load, the CPU temps hit a max of 72. The average was around 65C. On basic browsing, it hovered around 38C.

He hasn't cleaned out his dust for a while, according to him, so I imagine the temps could be better.

At max load, the GPU temps hit a max of 60C. At idle/basic browsing, it was 33C.

At max load, the CPU temps hit a max of 72. The average was around 65C. On basic browsing, it hovered around 38C.

He hasn't cleaned out his dust for a while, according to him, so I imagine the temps could be better.
Huh, which model was this?

I would kill to have these temperatures. My laptop is almost always at 80C while high-end gaming.

Doesn't burn my fingers or anything, but I worry about the longevity sometimes.

bigzgod

I'm completely unfamiliar with this brand, this is in fact the first time I've heard of it.

Really? Sager/Clevo is a well known brand for gaming laptops.

I've been keeping an eye on them myself. They have a new model that's really interesting. Has a i7-6700K and a GTX 980 (8GB vram), both desktop variants, for $2.7K. While that's still considerably more expensive than a desktop, I imagine the price will continue to fall as it becomes more standard.

zkylon

zkylewd
anyone playing xcom i'll suggest you try and stay away from that free camera rotation mod since it's corrupted my save and it took a while to fix

Really? Sager/Clevo is a well known brand for gaming laptops.

I've been keeping an eye on them myself. They have a new model that's really interesting. Has a i7-6700K and a GTX 980 (8GB vram), both desktop variants, for $2.7K. While that's still considerably more expensive than a desktop, I imagine the price will continue to fall as it becomes more standard.

I, for one, welcome our desktop performance laptop overlords.

MayMay

Banned
Hey guys, quick question.

If I want to refund something on Steam to my Steam Wallet and I'm within the 2 weeks time limit and have not played more than 2 hours.. is the refund instant?

Soulflarz

Banned
anyone have a spare abyss odyssey key from when those were all but free?

(I noticed it's on my friends wishlist and yeah might as well ask :V)

Hey guys, quick question.

If I want to refund something on Steam to my Steam Wallet and I'm within the 2 weeks time limit and have not played more than 2 hours.. is the refund instant?

takes a tiny bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom