• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eila

Hey guys, quick question.

If I want to refund something on Steam to my Steam Wallet and I'm within the 2 weeks time limit and have not played more than 2 hours.. is the refund instant?

They review it pretty fast, but if it does go through the money will appear as pending. It takes like 3-4 days for them to actually give it back to you.

Soulflarz

Banned
Trails in the Sky still has a weird problem in SC where if you tab off it can disappear from your taskbar even if you can alt+tab back to it.

I've played more of The Bureau XCOM Declassified. I'm having lot of fun with it. Like I read up on here it plays very similarly to Mass Effect but in a XCOM universe. It's a squad based third person shooter with cooldown abilities.

Just like in ME you have a power wheel but here it's called a "battle focus" where you order your teammates to use their powers and abilities. The twist is that you have to order them around to move them in and out of cover around the map. They have an AI but it's rather dumb and they scream all the time for you to give them order. You have a three characters team all the time. Outside of the main character the other two are generic recruits you hired and are bringing along. Depending on the difficulty level, they can die permanently if you don't revive them quickly enough or die permanently as soon as they fall on Commander difficulty.

The game has a warning pop up explaining that it's possible to create a failstate if you kill all of them and don't have anymore to recruit. You can customize everyone appearance (albeit a bit basic like clothes color and head style) and their loadout and choose which skill to choose at rank up. So far there are 4 types of recruit you can have support/recon/commando/engineer and you can choose a different background for each with grant some passive bonus like your laser turret being more resistant or taking less damage while running. You can send your extra recruits on OPS while you are on a mission where they get experience, find new recruits and discover weapon and techs.

Your main character is kind of unique class wise because he touched an alien artifact (remind you of another game?) and you get unique cooldown abilities like a group heal or the psy lift abilities. You pick 2 weapons to carry with you at the mission screen but you can switch them with those you find on a mission. Once you discover a new weapon it gets added to your stash at your base.

You have a home base where you can talk to the characters with a ME style conversation wheel and unlock side missions. There is also a shooting range to test your weapons. You can listen to audio logs and read files scattered around to learn more about the lore of the game.

It's not so bad looking for 360/PS3 game (crappy steam compressed shots).

It's really difficult. Especially the beginning since you don't have many abilities. The AI partner have a tendency to step on mines and to not move away from grenades which the enemy spam a lot. They also like to start shooting out of cover which mean death in this game so you have to order them all the time to go behind a wall. Once you get the laser/rocket turret, mines and decoy it gets much easier. You can also tell where battle will take place as battles requires waist-high walls :). The cover mechanic is a bit annoying as you stick to cover and sometimes you either went to move out or crawl behind cover and fail doing it haha.

Frankly it's not a bad game and you can do much worse for 4$. Even at full price I don't understand why it was panned so much. My guess is that fans didn't want this and chose the real XCOM instead.

Words of warning about the PC port. You have to turn off the two PhysX effect or the game crashes on Nvidia cards. It's apparently new and caused by the recent Nvidia driver update. Also turn down effect details to medium or else the game slows down to a crawl every time you go close to a light source on my 970. Otherwise you can max it and it runs at 60 FPS. You can also go up to 120 FPS. In my case on Win 10 I had to turn off cloud saving or the game would refuse to start.

That was my 2 cents about it.
You can fix the physx issues by simply copy pasting the latest version of physx into the game's directory. I'm on mobile or else I would just link you to it.

It still sucks though because it's not optimized at at and will straight up bring your framerate to zero at times.

Smash88

Banned
You can fix the physx issues by simply copy pasting the latest version of physx into the game's directory. I'm on mobile or else I would just link you to it.

It still ducks though because it's not optimized at at and will straight up bring your framerate to zero at times.

Does anyone have the link to this fix? I've been thinking about replaying it and would love it if I could enable PhysX.

Kiru

Really? Sager/Clevo is a well known brand for gaming laptops.

I've been keeping an eye on them myself. They have a new model that's really interesting. Has a i7-6700K and a GTX 980 (8GB vram), both desktop variants, for $2.7K. While that's still considerably more expensive than a desktop, I imagine the price will continue to fall as it becomes more standard.

Not in Europe! :p

Just found a LinusTechTips video highlighting that laptop you mention... one hell of a beast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC2blnl0WTE

Backlogger

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Backlogger, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Dead Bits -- MB-10F1F24E2DB2A307

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I finally finished Rise of the Tomb Raider - took 14 hours. The game was pretty good but I wish the environments were a little more varied. The story was pretty "meh" but at least the tomb puzzles were pretty legit.

I finally finished Rise of the Tomb Raider - took 14 hours. The game was pretty good but I wish the environments were a little more varied. The story was pretty "meh" but at least the tomb puzzles were pretty legit.

I am at the last area and I have to agree with you. The enviroments all feel kinda "similar", especially the tombs and caves.
I thought the first game of the reboot had more interesting areas.

I still wish the game would be more "free" like the old games, where you have to figure it where you need to go and there are often more than one way to reach a destination. Besides those "hub worlds" the game is pretty linear.

Smash88

Banned
Is this true or just being hopeful?

jVbfoEx.gif

Ti8sxPY.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
am i crazy or do soldiers in xcom actually get scars when they get gravely wounded in battle

that'd be super sick if it's true

Afro

I bought and installed the game after the conversion and never had to install it. Maybe a bug in an update?

Just deny it. Game will work without it. Just downloads so you can carry over achievements and saves.

Yes, I played the game very recently and it installed GFWL upon first boot up, however, it never then pops up in game once.

I uninstalled it straight after playing it.

I appreciate it!

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Even though a laptop can endure that high a temperature, the heat and noise it generates makes laptops far from an optimal gaming experience.

I had water go into my watch once, I dried it by playing Borderlands 2.
It does depend a lot on the machine though, my current laptop (a Dell Precision M6700) under heavy load is quieter than every desktop I have ever used, and the temps are fine (80°C CPU, 55°C GPU)

Mobile dies actually tend to be much more tolerant of higher temperatures because they can't count on robust cooling solutions.
Yup, they are binned as well, to ensure they are within TDP.

Interesting, but that doesn't change the fact that laptops tend to have less than optimal cooling solutions.
It used to be like that yes, but now even dual fans on non-gaming laptops are common, so things have been improving quite a bit.
Also Asus released a water-cooled behemoth a while ago XD

Kind of close. I asked a friend of mine for his temps on his gaming laptop.

At max load, the GPU temps hit a max of 60C. At idle/basic browsing, it was 33C.

At max load, the CPU temps hit a max of 72. The average was around 65C. On basic browsing, it hovered around 38C.

He hasn't cleaned out his dust for a while, according to him, so I imagine the temps could be better.
Those are some mighty fine temps.

Bad bitches, ready to roll:

268500_2016-02-07_0007ml1r.jpg
Oh shit, you can play as Tintin?!

Older model that's about a year old and not sold anymore, according to him. Sager NP8268 with a 970M.
That should be the Clevo P150 (SM model IIRC), had good cooling system.

I would kill to have these temperatures. My laptop is almost always at 80C while high-end gaming.

Doesn't burn my fingers or anything, but I worry about the longevity sometimes.
Heat affects longevity if it goes above the supported threshold, or if you make it run *really* close to the shutdown temp for a while.
At 80°C you'll be fine, above 95°C is when you should worry.

I'm completely unfamiliar with this brand, this is in fact the first time I've heard of it.
Sager is a US based reseller of Clevo laptops, and Clevo is Taiwan-based so maybe you have heard of that one.

Really? Sager/Clevo is a well known brand for gaming laptops.

I've been keeping an eye on them myself. They have a new model that's really interesting. Has a i7-6700K and a GTX 980 (8GB vram), both desktop variants, for $2.7K. While that's still considerably more expensive than a desktop, I imagine the price will continue to fall as it becomes more standard.
Eh, to be fair you have to really in the know, as they are fairly niche brands unlike MSI or Asus.
Also, that model must be kinda big, although probably smaller than the Eurocom Panther 5, which is portable in name only XD

It's completely absent from my country's laptop market.

Im going to sleep, had too much sangria.
Sager yes, but Clevo should not be absent as stated above :p

Vanquish coming soon.
wut

for real??

Not in Europe! :p

Just found a LinusTechTips video highlighting that laptop you mention... one hell of a beast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC2blnl0WTE
Off the top of my head, look for XMG or Schenker, as those are Clevo laptops.

dex3108

Just finished watching first season of Black Sails and I only have one thing to say: Ubisoft where is that pirates IP?! :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Recently I decided to replay through the Myst games I have played and then play the ones I haven't. I'll be making a thread about Myst at some point soon, but sufficed to say I've moved on to Riven. Riven is an absolute, unmitigated technical mess in 2016.

Playing Riven through Steam:
- Fixed 640x480 resolution, fullscreen only
- No screenshot or Steam overlay support
- Need to use the manual to figure out how to save
- Many reports online about save fails
- Game occasionally hardlocks and you can't alt-tab out to task manager so you have to use CTRL+ALT+DEL, log out, log back in, and launch again -- may have managed to fix this by running in Win98 compatibility mode.
- Most of the game is FMV overlaid on top of images. The FMVs overlaid are one pixel vertically too far down, so when you click something, large chunks of the screen move down a pixel, play an animation, and then move back up.

Never fear, you can play Riven through ScummVM.

Playing Riven through ScummVM:
- Fixed 640x480 resolution, windowed only (game hard overrides efforts to scale it from ScummVM)
- Sound has frequent popping
- There are no transitional animations when you click between stuff

Never fear, some fans are remaking Riven in full 3D...

Playing Riven through Starry Expanse, the fan 3D remake
- LOL you can't because they've been working on this for 7 years and are nowhere near ready to have a playable version

*shakes head* Next attempt will be to play the OSX version using a fan made engine, and my next attempt after that will be to get my mother to rummage through her basement and find my 20 year old discs and mail them to me and try to install them on a Win98 VM on my computer.

Annubis

Recently I decided to replay through the Myst games I have played and then play the ones I haven't. I'll be making a thread about Myst at some point soon, but sufficed to say I've moved on to Riven. Riven is an absolute, unmitigated technical mess in 2016.

- Game occasionally hardlocks and you can't alt-tab out to task manager so you have to use CTRL+ALT+DEL, log out, log back in, and launch again -- may have managed to fix this by running in Win98 compatibility mode.
- Most of the game is FMV overlaid on top of images. The FMVs overlaid are one pixel vertically too far down, so when you click something, large chunks of the screen move down a pixel, play an animation, and then move back up.

- Fixed 640x480 resolution, windowed only (game hard overrides efforts to scale it from ScummVM)

- LOL you can't because they've been working on this for 7 years and are nowhere near ready to have a playable version

*shakes head* Next attempt will be to play the OSX version using a fan made engine, and my next attempt after that will be to get my mother to rummage through her basement and find my 20 year old discs and mail them to me and try to install them on a Win98 VM on my computer.

Yeah, that entire serie hasn't aged well overall.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
After Riven comes Myst 3. My options for that are:
- Email Night Dive and ask them to contact Ubisoft to figure out how to make it available (already done this)
- Buy old PC retail copy, go through compatibility issues to make it run today
- Buy PS2 version, buy a PS2, play it no problem
- Buy PS2 version, try to play it on PCSX2, hope compatibility is good

RotTR is a better game than TR13 by a lot. Tombs are better, exploration is more fun, characters and story are way better.
As jshackles said, would have been nice if it had a more brisk speed at changing locations but alas it's still OK.
I'm having a lot more fun than with TR13 so all is good by me. There still that little something lacking to make it awesome.

rtcn63

RotTR is a better game than TR13 by a lot. Tombs are better, exploration is more fun, characters and story are way better.
As jshackles said, would have been nice if it had a more brisk speed at changing locations but alas it's still OK.
I'm having a lot more fun than with TR13 so all is good by me. There still that little something lacking to make it awesome.

Pretty much everything but the combat and difficulty. I missed the joy of finding a new weapon or part in 2013, knowing I'd need it for the perils ahead. In RoTR, you're a walking tyrant the second you boot up the game. Doing the side quests to get new weapons and upgrades only to realize they're not all necessary was disappointing. (And most/all of the outfits having the same "bonus" was just odd) I guess it's the one notable caveat I have in recommending it to people.

cyba89

It's probably better than TR2013 but still has so many problems. Tombs are mostly just one puzzle and exploration is just a checklist of meaningless junk that has little reward. And you don't need the extra stuff anyway because by the end your overpowered Terminator-Lara who kills everything just with melee or bow&arrow.

Pretty much everything but the combat and difficulty. I missed the joy of finding a new weapon or part in 2013, knowing I'd need it for the perils ahead. In RoTR, you're a walking tyrant the second you boot up the game. Doing the side quests to get new weapons and upgrades only to realize they're not all necessary was disappointing. (And most/all of the outfits having the same "bonus" was just odd) I guess it's the one notable caveat I have in recommending it to people.

I like the outfit stuff because I don't feel forced to use something that doesn't look nice but offers better stats. I know it's a really stupid thing, since nothing is forcing me, but it's a problem I usually have with games that have customization options tied to armour stuff.

Nzyme32

Same on GoG, where I've been playing Myst

rtcn63

I like the outfit stuff because I don't feel forced to use something that doesn't look nice but offers better stats. I know it's a really stupid thing, since nothing is forcing me, but it's a problem I usually have with games that have customization options tied to armour stuff.

Not that it would've mattered anyways since you were already death incarnate. I ended up wearing the blue henley for most of the game, all the other outfits (barring
a certain secret one you get near the end
) looked very same-y.

I know I'm being a stickler with regards to the difficulty thing, but seeing as I've already experienced the tombs and the story, there's really no reason for me to replay it down the line. I was hoping to put it in the same category as the Uncharted games, Dead Space, RE4+, TR 2013, etc., which are almost yearly replays.

Vamphuntr

After Riven comes Myst 3. My options for that are:
- Email Night Dive and ask them to contact Ubisoft to figure out how to make it available (already done this)
- Buy old PC retail copy, go through compatibility issues to make it run today
- Buy PS2 version, buy a PS2, play it no problem
- Buy PS2 version, try to play it on PCSX2, hope compatibility is good

On the bright side my old and weak laptop used to run Uru fine so I guess there's hope down the Myst path.

Phinor

It's probably better than TR2013 but still has so many problems.

I'd also say that Rise is better than TR2013 but my enjoyment was pretty much exactly the same. A sequel should have fixed more issues, rise to another level instead of being a slightly better but really, mostly identical game. If we get a third one, I hope they change things around a bit more because otherwise it's going to start feeling like yet another Assassin's Creed franchise.

Tombs were still crap, although some of them looked gorgeous. This game needs to be more open, let the player decide how to approach puzzles instead of only having one route and one solution. I know it's hard to design a game like that but this current system feels to linear.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The recently released mini-campaign for Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Shadows of Hong Kong, is a pretty decent epilogue for the main game. It took me around seven to eight hours to finish. It's a shame that there were only two side missions, the second hub that you reach later on is only used once and ends up feeling squandered. Those side missions were good, though, and I'm still unsure if I made the right choice for one of them.

The recently released mini-campaign for Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Shadows of Hong Kong, is a pretty decent epilogue for the main game. It took me around seven to eight hours to finish. It's a shame that there were only two side missions, the second hub that you reach later on is only used once and ends up feeling squandered. Those side missions were good, though, and I'm still unsure if I made the right choice for one of them.

If a game's RPG choice system has "right choices" and "wrong choices" it's doing it wrong. If one of the choices is clearly wrong, why bother having a choice at all? Hell, even blowing up Megaton as an example - that's an "evil" choice, but by no means is it ever considered the "wrong" one.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
If a game's RPG choice system has "right choices" and "wrong choices" it's doing it wrong. If one of the choices is clearly wrong, why bother having a choice at all? Hell, even blowing up Megaton as an example - that's an "evil" choice, but by no means is it ever considered the "wrong" one.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree. All of the choices you can make at the end of that mission seemed pretty valid, so it was a difficult decision to make and not really a case where there's a truly wrong decision.

AHA-Lambda

Sounds good :)

*sigh*
This month is just xcom levels of brutal

too-many-games-too-little-time.jpg

EDIT:

Noah Gervais (the guy who did the FEAR and CoD retrospectives) has a new vid up on Doom 3, thought it'd be of interest to folks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn0IMQIlUMQ

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't think I'm good enough for XCOM 2 hard mode. It doesn't help that there is some real BS line of sight stuff to deal with.

It sucks to spend 15 minutes planning out a perfect turn, only for an enemy to shoot through a wall + roof to hit your soldier in the middle of a roof behind cover.

I still wish it showed you how would be in your line of sight when you highlighted a location to move.

Echoplx

I don't think I'm good enough for XCOM 2 hard mode. It doesn't help that there is some real BS line of sight stuff to deal with.

It sucks to spend 15 minutes planning out a perfect turn, only for an enemy to shoot through a wall + roof to hit your soldier in the middle of a roof behind cover.

I still wish it showed you how would be in your line of sight when you highlighted a location to move.

It does, a reticle icon will appear next to enemies if they will be in your LOS.

But yeah the game is incredibly buggy right now so I'm staying away from ironman.

I'd also say that Rise is better than TR2013 but my enjoyment was pretty much exactly the same. A sequel should have fixed more issues, rise to another level instead of being a slightly better but really, mostly identical game. If we get a third one, I hope they change things around a bit more because otherwise it's going to start feeling like yet another Assassin's Creed franchise.

Tombs were still crap, although some of them looked gorgeous. This game needs to be more open, let the player decide how to approach puzzles instead of only having one route and one solution. I know it's hard to design a game like that but this current system feels to linear.
I can agree with that. There are small but welcome improvements but overall much less than expected. The platforming is exactly like you said, there's only one direction. Free-form platforming would add to it.
Seeing how well received both games of the reboot are, I can't see CD seeing any need to change up the formula sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom