• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens

Banned
For Milena: Thanks for giving me some decent gears (with stars!) and teleport crystals, now my pawn doesn't look like a hobo. Also your Lana is doing all the dirty job for me, she is basically invincible (except when she decides to throw herself into the sea).

For ExoSouls: Your Alexandra never attack. What is wrong with her :l she just cast some rotating balls around her and that's it.

drakaenae

ModBot said:
Instructions for drakaenae:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (drakaenae, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

X-blades -- MB-4FBE609311D09AA9 - Taken by Rockin' Ranger
Dino D-Day -- MB-57EBF8599C695CBE - Taken by Costa1774
Deadlings: Rotten Edition -- MB-443BFB246EB98404 - Taken by Catshade
One Finger Death Punch -- MB-211AFE50838195A8 - Taken by Empty Space
AXYOS -- MB-07FA9DECE5BE3078 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Merchants of Kaidan -- MB-9282D65C16ABFBB7 - Taken by Kuroyume
Blaster Shooter GunGuy -- MB-6706B5165DA44BB8 - Taken by texhnolyze
Escape Machines -- MB-1819B6313E371C7D - Taken by fuzzy123

Knurek

2016-02-08_00001aezdb.jpg
trails_steamspy1flkh.png

I'm done with it. Fairly exhausted, proper review tomorrow.
(SPOILER ALERT: It's worth the price)
Game 9: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - started on 22.01.2016, finished on 08.02.2016 (71h:55m) - ★★★★★

MUnited83

For you.
im somewhat relieved that ubisoft's series of Mark of the Ninja clones aren't quite as good. As someone who has been playing through the whole AC series throughout the years, it's comforting to know that i can avoid these side games as it's less to concern myself with
I haven't played the other two, but AC Chronicles China is better than Mark of the Ninja.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Three Mad Catz executives resign prior to tomorrow's earnings report

Probably not a great sign

Mad Catz is going through a tumultuous shake-up at a time that isn't likely to inspire confidence from investors. On February 9 (tomorrow), Mad Catz will publish its third-quarter 2016 fiscal results. In the lead-up to that, three executives have resigned.

In a press release, Mad Catz announced the departures of Thomas Brown (chairman of the board of directors, member of the board's audit committee), Darren Richardson (president and CEO), and Whitney Peterson (senior vice president of business affairs, general counsel, and corporate secretary). All three seemingly left at once. Mad Catz has already filled their roles.

Mad Catz is a manufacturer of gaming peripherals and accessories, but it most notably recently co-published Rock Band 4 alongside Harmonix. It was said that Mad Catz was betting big on Rock Band 4's success in order to help with outstanding debt. We won't know more about those results until tomorrow, but this development might have already said everything that needs to be said.

Annubis

trails_steamspy1flkh.png

Game 9: The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - started on 22.01.2016, finished on 08.02.2016 (71h:55m) - ★★★★★

I still think that sales will go way up whenever the game gets its first sizable discount.

Phawx

Funny story. When the AMD 5870 launched, bitcoin pretty much started being talked about regularly online. It was also the first card that could mine bitcoins fairly well.

I crunched the numbers and concluded that it would have cost me like $50 to mine for a month from electricity costs.

So I just looked on bitcoin forums and see how many bitcoins I could buy. It worked out to something like 10,000 bitcoins and I was like, "eh there isn't any value in this crap" and then forgot about it.

A few years later I saw that they were worth like ~$240 per bitcoin.

I've literally wasted more money on lottery tickets. If I had only considered it like a lottery ticket at the time.

Annubis

Funny story. When the AMD 5870 launched, bitcoin pretty much started being talked about regularly online. It was also the first card that could mine bitcoins fairly well.

I crunched the numbers and concluded that it would have cost me like $50 to mine for a month from electricity costs.

So I just looked on bitcoin forums and see how many bitcoins I could buy. It worked out to something like 10,000 bitcoins and I was like, "eh there isn't any value in this crap" and then forgot about it.

A few years later I saw that they were worth like ~$240 per bitcoin.

I've literally wasted more money on lottery tickets. If I had only considered it like a lottery ticket at the time.

A guy I knew in college transformed one of the rooms in his house into a bitcoin farm (tons of blade servers with GPU mining nonstop). He had to install some kind of cooling system for the room. This was all in the beginning of the bitcoin saga.
Guy must be a millionaire now.

Okami or god hand should be the next one to drop onto steam, would make my year.

Screw Okami and it's gibberish that you can't turn off.
Give me God Hand. Or Asura's Wrath. Or whynotboth.gif.

I have a dream that one day a man can play Dead Rising 1 at a proper resolution and framerate.

#DR1Believe

This too. DR was a greaaaat game. It's design just don't click for a lot of people and they decide "this game sucks" without really playing it right in the first place.

I tried to get into DR1 several times and all i remember was fuck those assholes in the park with their jeep + mounted gun

And here's an example of just that! :p

Most everyone seems to think "I should fight these guys" or get mad when they die.
Neither is appropriate if your new to the game... the real way this works is that should you die there, you're not very far in and it doesn't take long to get back there -- so you restart the game with all your PP/levels, get a ton more when you rescue the old couple from the roof and take pictures of it (also, pictures during the intro sequence), then you try again... all the while, Frank is getting more life, getting faster, gaining special moves, etc. So even if you die the first time, you try running across again later... and then you should be fast enough to make it... and if you die... you retry again.

The genius of the game is really in its effective use of the XP/levels carrying over when you die and restart. Eventually you've learned where a lot of the great weapons spawn, you know what you like, you know the routes of things, etc. so you can start working toward your "I saved all survivors" or "I killed all psychopaths" or even the "I'm going for the true ending.

DR2 did this well too, but it reduced a bit of the need for restarting to build up your initial levels. It still works fine... and if you're far enough in the game where restarting is a drag, hopefully you found a savepoint and made a record of your stuff not too long ago.

Speaking of the DR games, if Capcom ever does bring DR to Steam, hopefully they bring the short XBLA only titles that bookend DR2 with it. I can't remember the names of them (the prequel type game that was a demo of sorts was better than the sequel type game that brought "what the fuck happened to him" Frank back) but they were definitely solid and I'd love to own them on Steam (more reasons I can get rid of my x360 finally, sitting alongside the hope that James Silva finally ports The Dishwasher to PC as he has said was the case for a few years now).

The current exchange rate has Firewatch on the Canadian store now going for $13.87 USD.

If you want it for that much, PM me. We'll work through PayPal and I'll use your money to get a gift copy for you.

I'm reputable - have positive seller feedback in BST, done plenty of giveaways, and already helped Maniac get Firewatch.

And, I repeat: This is not for profit. This is using your money to buy games cheaper for you. Canadian titles are not region locked.

This is something I'm going to do exclusively for you guys, since I trust y'all.

Lots of games are really, really cheap right now - especially thanks to the sale.

I can also do euro/gbp!

Got a question about other games? PM me!

I'll keep this post updated.

Good guy EtDP... much appreciated, man. It's refreshing to see someone who just wants to help people out and isn't in it to make profit off people.

I originally went back to find and quote this because you had listed a few prices out and I was going to note that anyone who was considering ARK for the $15 or whatever it was in CDN should just get the pre-purchase on the March Humble Monthly since $12 would get them ARK + a number of other games.

A guy I knew in college transformed one of the rooms in his house into a bitcoin farm (tons of blade servers with GPU mining nonstop). He had to install some kind of cooling system for the room. This was all in the beginning of the bitcoin saga.
Guy must be a millionaire now.

I never understood bitcoin in the first place... it always seemed like some arbitrary new "money" that reminded me of paypal for people who don't trust the governments of the world.

But this mining thing... this doesn't fit into any sort of understanding I previously had of bitcoin.

ouch, well I'm getting a pad this month at least.

(Actually is it even a good idea to get a pad from a company which might even go bankrupt?)

Unless the pad is a pile of junk and you need to make use of a warranty, I don't see why it would be a *bad* idea if you like the style/design/feel of the pad.

zkylon

zkylewd
I still think that sales will go way up whenever the game gets its first sizable discount.
it's a sequel to a super long game, it's "suffering" for that

tits 1 sold 177k and 10% of the ppl on steam have beaten it (as in, have the complete chapter 4 achievement. tits 2 sold 16k ppl, which is roughly that 10%

a pricecut will def help sales but the audience for the game hasn't finished tits 1 yet

hopefully the game will have legs as more ppl finish tits 1 and move on to the sequel

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I haven't played it yet (have it on xbox) but this can't be true.

There are a few concepts that I think are better executed in Assassin's Creed Chronicles vs Mark of the Ninja, but overall I think it's a stretch to say it's the better game. Unless you're like super into AC and it's lore.

I haven't played the other two yet either (I pre-ordered the physical release of the trilogy on PS4) but I think it's safe to say that AC: Chronicles, as a whole, is nowhere near as good as Mark of the Ninja.

dex3108

There are a few concepts that I think are better executed in Assassin's Creed Chronicles vs Mark of the Ninja, but overall I think it's a stretch to say it's the better game. Unless you're like super into AC and it's lore.

I haven't played the other two yet either (I pre-ordered the physical release of the trilogy on PS4) but I think it's safe to say that AC: Chronicles, as a whole, is nowhere near as good as Mark of the Ninja.

If you played first one there is no point to play other two. Difference beside setting is minimal from what I saw and heard. That is why I played China that I got with Unity Season Pass and skipped India and now Russia.

Teggy

See, a mod said it so it has to be true.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you played first one there is no point to play other two. Difference beside setting is minimal from what I saw and heard. That is why I played China that I got with Unity Season Pass and skipped India and now Russia.

I'm definitely not expecting anything different and wouldn't even really recommend anyone play more than one of them. But I'm a sucker for a physical release of a game like this and that's what drew me in more than the allure that things would get better.

dex3108

I'm definitely not expecting anything different and wouldn't even really recommend anyone play more than one of them. But I'm a sucker for a physical release of a game like this and that's what drew me in more than the allure that things would get better.

It could be ok experience if you play them with few months between them I guess :D I just watched special Epilogue that you need to unlock in Russia and that was all that interested me. It has some hints for future story in main games.

Soulflarz

Banned
trails_steamspy1flkh.png

I'm like
halfway in

spoilers, pls

The 2D Assassin's Creeds are so low-profile that I didn't even know the latter two in the series existed. Feels weird.

Also, XCOM 2 is quite something. I know y'all were wondering.

Whelp, my habit of mindlessly clicking on paragraphs while reading them is starting to get me into trouble in the Firewatch thread. I think I'll just bail from any related thread until I've played through it.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think the biggest blow to tits 2 sales is not having olivier on that banner

i mean when you leave the single best thing of your game out of your big marketing graphic you're kind of setting yourself up for desaster

Nyoro SF

i mean when you leave the single best thing of your game out of your big marketing graphic you're kind of setting yourself up for desaster

...I agree

Problem is, the official art for Trails SC is just too dope to not use though

How badly should we laugh when Nekopara Vol. 2 sales crush TitS2 sales?

Different markets, so no tears here :p

Soulflarz

Banned
So, you're saying 200 sales at $30 brings them more money than, say, 500 sales at $22 (just 33% off) or 2000 at $15?

Uhm
Take undertale as your example. It was a mere $2 off and it sold a ton.

So yeah, devaluing your game gets you the least amount of sales in the end.
Especially when you can price your game at $40 or $50 and people will probably buy it- the major roadblock is people not finishing FC, not that no one wants SC at $30.

sora_no_kiseki_hd_wxp.jpg

They used the original image.

Still, he was mentioned in the site and their twitter often with stuff like
EVEN MORE OLIVIER THAN EVER!

How badly should we laugh when Nekopara Vol. 2 sales crush TitS2 sales?

I'd imagine something like this:
200.gif

--

Random:

Are all game tile cards in grid view not forced to be the same size?
With 00 spacing/dropshadow, you can see that some games seem to have larger cards than others making the grid skew...

One is often called TitS ;)

And yet, it's not the right answer.

Boy... I'd say TitS has more variety and quality. :p

Variety, maybe. There are certainly more chests in Trails. Though I do recall someone saying that the atrocious messages when checking empty ones were repeating... not sure which Trails game that was, or if it's fixed now, but repetitive is not a good thing in this context.

As for quality, assuredly not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom