• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of controllers, my 360 just died on me last weekend. I still have my trusty DS3 controller, but I'm afraid it won't last that much longer as well. I'm leaning towards XB1 controller than the other two.

I wonder when will we finally have a mind-controlled controller for gaming. Not a VR, just a controller.

Having a snack while playing without having to worry about getting my controllers all messy, sticky, or greasy. That would be dope. Chips all day.

Let's dispel once and for all with the ficton that GabeN doesn't know what he is doing, he knows exactly what he is doing. GabeN is undertaking a systematic effort to change pc gaming, to make pc gaming more like consoles... it is a systematic effort that he knows what he's doing.

How do people use tenkeyless keyboards

more comfortable without that worthless numpad

and the mouse isn't 10 feet away

Maniac

Banned
Maniac living up to his name by standing out in the open just destroying enemies

i'm gonna make you a squad leader

You know me babe; that's how I roll.

Reading this gave me a proper good smile during a dark, awful, sleepless night.

PS: If I don't make it, you damn well better give me a proper memorial, y'hear!?

Or clone me or something.

Vibranium

Banned
Woah, woah, whoa. I just read a rumour online about Resident Evil Outbreak HD being in development on the Steam discussions for RE0. If that is somehow true, I can team up with Steam-Gaf, though I call dibs on Kevin.

Maniac

Banned
with confidence

Amen.

Probably grabbing a K60 when I have some moolah. Maybe someone wants to buy my Black Widow for some change. Who knows.
I've... never trusted Steam Workshop when it comes to mods. Launchers and manual installations are so much more reliable.

Still can't believe Valve tried to essentially make mods into mercenary DLC with the shakey Workshop thing they have going. Compatability would be impossible.

To be honest, it depends on implementation. Banished has an excellent implementation with the Workshop when it comes to load-order and compatibilities, conflicts and the likes. Like it's really bloody brilliantly handled.

"Hey Frost, what's new?" you ask.

gPy0yje.png

So yeah, Rise of the Tomb Raider... completed. There's 5 achievements left from that are not DLC-based. Maybe I'll go after them, I haven't quite decided yet, since 100% is not open to me at this point unless I want to shell out a bunch of cash for DLC.

The game was alright, but it didn't quite deliver anything new or improved from the last game (and I thought the last game was a ton of fun). If you liked the TR2013, you'd probably dig this and the $20-$30 that the Nvidia promo codes were going for is a pretty fair price for what you get.

The story strikes similar tones to the last game (as well as much of the Uncharted games), but isn't going to blow anyone away. The tombs are similar to the first game, but maybe a little more complex in terms of puzzle solving to get a unique skill every time. The combat is alright, though it feels like something is missing, but I can't put my finger on what exactly.

The main differences from my experience lie in the increase focus in resource gathering and the fact that the game is mainly comprised of 2 large hub areas which contain the majority of the challenges/missions/collectibles and then some small story maps which can be revisted at a later time to search for whatever you may have missed. It's been a bit since I played TR2013, but I remember that having a lot of varied environments on medium sized maps interconnected rather than large hub areas with a few offshoots.

The game suffers from a bunch of technical problems in places as well. The performance of the game in the main hub areas, particularly the second one, can cause the frame rate to absolutely tank. Sometimes cutscenes do this too, but since a lot of games have 30fps pre-rendered cutscenes, as long as it wasn't dropping massively during the cutscenes, I didn't really notice. It has some other issues too, like problems with the game recognizing which area you're in when you bring up the map and not displaying it unless you zoom out and move the cursor around a bit.

Random thought: The game reminds me A LOT of a third person FC3. The hunting/dealing with animals in the wild. The mass killing of mercs with assault rifles/bows/pistols/shotguns. It lacks the vehicles of FC3, but there's more of an emphasis on climbing/platforming in spots (FC3's main climbing was relegated to the radio towers, from what I remember, so it's not a huge stretch for the comparison either, actually).

Overall, TR2016 didn't really meet the lofty expectations I had after the series was rebooted (especially when I was anticipating that copy I won from shadownet's birthday giveaway and the game finally coming to PC after the xbox fiasco), but it's a solid effort and I wouldn't mind playing another iteration of the franchise in a few years.

kFk9HYR.gif

readyfords343ofd.jpg

Ready for Dark Souls 3.

Nice... I'm just missing a few from Scholar; the ones that require 2nd/3rd playthroughs. I have the game on PS4 too and I think if/when I play it again, I'll be streaming the PS4 version and working toward the platinum (and will just sync with Steam when I get it again)... I really hate that you either need ridiculous amounts of PvP or to hit NG++ midgame to get those last few spells/miracles. :\

zkylon

zkylewd
man it's so satisfying when you get to see the alien base blow up after finishing a mission

xcom is so rad

edit: i do really wish they'd just tell you when a mission is gonna be timed or not

i guess you learn about it as you progress but still

kFk9HYR.gif

readyfords343ofd.jpg

Ready for Dark Souls 3.
nice

i'm 100% in dks2 and i fucked up with the upgrades in dks1 so i'm like 99%

but yeah who's not ready for dks3

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I really hate that you either need ridiculous amounts of PvP or to hit NG++ midgame to get those last few spells/miracles. :\

NG+ barebones boss run with my bro was probably sub 10 hours... NG++ was legit like 2 hours to get to the vendor- just consume every boss soul not necessary and ascetic the rotten to get the remaining souls needed to open the door.

NG+ barebones boss run with my bro was probably sub 10 hours... NG++ was legit like 2 hours to get to the vendor- just consume every boss soul not necessary and ascetic the rotten to get the remaining souls needed to open the door.

Yeah, I did that on the original Dark Souls 2 to get the "platinum". I just took a break after doing everything (and getting screwed out of the new ending/new final boss) in Scholar because I killed the watcher/defender and warped out afterwards... and then I ended up playing bloodborne instead later in 2015, so I haven't gone back yet. I'm thinking sometime before April, I'll probably try cruising through the PS4 version to get the trophies/platinum there. :\

Speedrunners tend to just farm The Rotten with bonfire ascetics to get the souls necessary for NG, so doing the same thing in NG++ probably wouldn't be too terribly time consuming either.

Adnor

Banned
Huh, somehow I forgot that those keys also work in most RL. There's also the VI keys buy I doubt any sane human being uses those.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If I remove a game from my Steam library what happens to the dlc?

Depends. If the DLC is included in the same licence as the game itself, then it'll go, too, but otherwise it'll remain attached to your account. Technically, what the tool does is disable a given licence, not actually remove it, which is why you can recover licences if you later decide you want the content back.

JarrodL

kFk9HYR.gif

readyfords343ofd.jpg

Ready for Dark Souls 3.

Impressive. I'm playing Dark Souls for the first time myself at the moment. Well, second time really, but I ragequit at
Ornstein & Smough
previously, and with this new build I am now past that point so the rest of the game is new for me. Playing Demon's Souls on PS3 kind of made the souls gameplay click I guess, I loved it so much that I restarted Dark Souls immediately after finishing that. :D

Why did you replay DSII after SofFS though? I thought SofFS was like a remake and superceded the original game?

Depends. If the DLC is included in the same licence as the game itself, then it'll go, too, but otherwise it'll remain attached to your account. Technically, what the tool does is disable a given licence, not actually remove it, which is why you can recover licences if you later decide you want the content back.

Thanks. That clears it up for me.

You always seem to know so much about the intricacies of the behind the scenes stuff :D

1-2 hours of the Dukes Archive run.

When I did it, I think I got it in normal play, I think it was one of the other weapons that was a pain in the ass for me.

Nothing really compares to the grind for that pure bladestone in Demon's though. Eff that. Cloudstone chunks were kind of annoying too, but you could just blow through a NG+ cycle and go through work 4 to kill the world boss for guaranteed chunk drops. Farming those skeletons in 4-2 though? I think I ended up at level 240+ just from using the souls I kept accumlating. I think it took over 10 hours for me. :\

Lomax

Let's dispel once and for all with the ficton that GabeN doesn't know what he is doing, he knows exactly what he is doing. GabeN is undertaking a systematic effort to change pc gaming, to make pc gaming more like consoles... it is a systematic effort that he knows what he's doing.

That is absolutely what they are trying to do. But at this point if they know what they are doing remains to be seen. Steam OS is largely still irrelevant, steam machines are a disappointment, and the steam controller hasn't exactly set the world on fire. Thus far for a systematic effort it still has a long way to go.

Nyoro SF

playing TiTS FC for 3 hour, man whats up with crazy stutter tho. I can't walk normally most of the time.

If you're experiencing stutter, turn off hardware vertex shading in the launcher options. This setting in particular fixed stutter for a lot of people so try it out.

neonglow

With all these bundles, I have tons of duplicates now. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (neonglow, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fancy Skulls -- MB-DDECE353C843C02E - Taken by freshVeggie. 3 entrants total.
System Shock 2 -- MB-947C24A07F97DA09 - Taken by PranooY. 2 entrants total.
Betrayer -- MB-ED464E3CB49F4A22 - Taken by diabolusinmusica. 1 entrants total.
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 -- MB-A4EFC0467EBF21A2 - Taken by eyeless. 6 entrants total.

t1455008130z1.png

That is absolutely what they are trying to do. But at this point if they know what they are doing remains to be seen. Steam OS is largely still irrelevant, steam machines are a disappointment, and the steam controller hasn't exactly set the world on fire. Thus far for a systematic effort it still has a long way to go.

GabeN is undertaking a systematic effort to change pc gaming, to make pc gaming more like consoles. Let's dispel once and for all with the notion that GabeN doesn't know what he is doing, he knows exactly what he is doing.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 39 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Deadly 30 -- MB-31FE82E9A974C343
Nightfall: Escape -- MB-244824AE6F11C9E1 - Taken by user237
Battle vs. Chess -- MB-23914B3779414F42 - Taken by TheMadMan007
Turbo Pug -- MB-5CE5CBF14DF3DDD5 - Taken by KenOD
retro game crunch -- MB-B9A2CFE8B2CBA0C7 - Taken by neonglow
Pineview Drive -- MB-34BA20814014AB5B - Taken by ExoSoul
Apotheon -- MB-DF65C341799D3BE4 - Taken by fspm
Lumber Island - That Special Place -- MB-A363112C318A487E - Taken by SSPssp
Luna's Wandering Stars -- MB-6F1F8E13028851E0 - Taken by Starwolf_UK
SoulCraft -- MB-351D783074CAD1A4 - Taken by Kuroyume
The Deer -- MB-1A037D3C94673F7A - Taken by Purkake4
Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut -- MB-7920DA7C9D49DFE4 - Taken by Mikurden
Go! Go! Nippon! -- MB-ECE9066461C819CA - Taken by hesho
Desert Ashes -- MB-5C8C85829AB4F0C4
Braveland -- MB-669E63B2DCEF5394 - Taken by texhnolyze
Read Only Memories -- MB-E48DA48EA55BEB39 - Taken by freshVeggie
Shattered Planet -- MB-99F04D6745741B5E - Taken by Saty
warlocks vs shadows -- MB-969DBE7A6AC95EF8 - Taken by crazyrabbits
Ty The Tasmanian Tiger 4 -- MB-FB524E6DF351D890 - Taken by madjoki
Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage -- MB-37C7BE4B5B05F497
Skilltree Saga -- MB-9B3BA0CF75E118A8 - Taken by Ludens
Shutter -- MB-315FEBBD2BEEFFD4 - Taken by Saty
Ruzh Delta Z -- MB-ED9C004B7F44B480
One Final Breath - Episode One -- MB-5A5E7908DE109E47 - Taken by septicore
ShipLord -- MB-57788368962AB162 - Taken by Hektor

akane the kunoichi -- MB-8414E799BE0F14A3 - Taken by Saty
Frozen Synapse -- MB-01EB6AC5449CD335 - Taken by fertygo
TRISTOY -- MB-DB130534ED3F9AA3 - Taken by rainking187
Lumino City -- MB-30FB8B441FB80B5E - Taken by Costa1774
Fiends of Imprisonment -- MB-627D01D0F858F901 - Taken by bobnowhere
descent undeground -- MB-585F8A85655D8DB8 - Taken by EdmondD
xheRJRF.gif
Trapped Dead: Lockdown -- MB-7D9187007926E18E - Taken by Eila
Lost Moon -- MB-464C2FD1F88C2CA8 - Taken by redlacs
Wyv and Keep: The Temple of the Lost Idol -- MB-84120771236BF9F0 - Taken by ExoSoul
loot hero dx -- MB-AF20E2FDF35822C2 - Taken by GaussTek
Aero's Quest -- MB-15D30DA09101019B - Taken by madjoki
Shiny The Firefly -- MB-FD25705555BA19AC
Grimoire: Manastorm -- MB-535112E8EDA07899 - Taken by Coldsun
Adventures of Bertram Fiddle: Episode 1: A Dreadly Business -- MB-4709660022E03E7B - Taken by Catshade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom