• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing that the quantum break salt hasn't reach peak saltiness due to the news being a rumor still

But I expect some great posts by people who likely have never played a remedy game but are heavily invested in the console wars

Jawmuncher

I'm guessing that the quantum break salt hasn't reach peak saltiness due to the news being a rumor still

But I expect some great posts by people who likely have never played a remedy game but are heavily invested in the console wars

I see it being used more on PS side than Xbox one. "Xbox isn't even a system now it's games are on PC".

At this point MS could give valve a run for their money with the PC couch idea.

Nabs

The salt hasn't even begun to flow yet. I'm not sure I'm ready for it.

G0XIOBT.png

A stationary machine-gun operator simulator. Just what I've been asking for.

Well, on the bright side it doesn't look gunning down unarmed civilians will be the main gameplay element this time around. Still doesn't look very interesting, however, and the description is outright goofy.

Ludens

Banned
Oh, forgot to post that, if Quantum Break releases only on Win Store, for me the game doesn't exist (just lost my Fable 3 purchase with GFWL so no thanks, Microsoft).

Dr Dogg

Anybody who kicks up a stink about Quantum Break appearing on other platforms I have to question their motives. Unlike past Xbone exclusives that eventually found their way to PC, like Ryse, Dead Rising 3 and recently Beneath the Valley of the Tomb Raider, Quantum Break is pretty much a Microsoft dealio through and through. So while Microsoft Game Studios published those 3 on XO they were all published by their respective IP holders on PC. This makes sense if Microsoft was trying to get folks on to their eco system, ala the Xbox One, but with Quantum Break this doesn't necessarily have to be the case as regardless where it turns up every sale will effectively go through them (who knows what the contract is with Remedy and how royalties work out if at all).

So I'm sure they have waaay more data and analytics as to the state of their box and if it would be wise to release QB on more than one platform or if releasing at a later date or simultaneously will work out the more financially sound strategy than any person here. I mean what's the cut of retail console copies the publisher gets these days? 40% give or take? So if your a looney who thinks a PC release is going to cannibalise console sale then their options are other services where they get a 70% cut or their own store and get a 100% cut so in the end it all loops back around to them. You'd imagine a bevy of number crunchers will have had a look if an XO and PC launch will pull in more peeps compared to just 1 platform and let's be honest if it's a better ROI only a crazy person isn't going to take up that option. Which works out better for more people, consumer and creator alike. Only folks who would end up protesting would be PS4 owners and Xbone Standard Bearers.

I'll be rotting on the streets right now if people around me never gave me a second chance.

I'm giving Microsoft a second chance with their GFWL 2.0. It'll be the last one though.

Dr Dogg

Of course if Microsoft releases something exclusively on their own store that doesn't rely on their infrastructure (ie Live for online) and omit places like Steam, Origin, Uplay, maybe even GOG if they're feeling charitable with the DRM, then the amount of greed just to gain that extra 30% of revenue is bigger than the pile of cash they'd be leaving on the table.

Knurek

Do they even have the freedom to decide the discount on GOG?

Don't they?
I don't believe GOG's contracts are that weird, we'd heard about it already.

Of course if Microsoft releases something exclusively on their own store that doesn't rely on their infrastructure (ie Live for online) and omit places like Steam, Origin, Uplay, maybe even GOG if they're feeling charitable with the DRM then the amount of greedy just to gain that extra 30% of revenue is bigger than the pile of cash they'd be leaving on the table.

What if they release everywhere but Steam (aka do an EA)?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Yes I have! I have some interesting thoughts on this one.

I played through it a couple years ago, the Silent Hill inspiration is obvious, but it's more of an inspired-by title than a rip-off. I actually think its weakest element is its platform, it controls a bit awkwardly on the phone/emulation, and the sound design leaves something to be desired... But the spritework is good, and there's some good twist and turns, a few interesting bosses near the end, it has some light inventory management and limited ammo/healing items, a few puzzles. Worst singular section in the game in my opinion is this gameplay stretch right before the final boss battle,
you get infected and turn into one of the weird humpback plant monsters you've been fighting most of the game, you are sensitive to sunlight and have to stick to shadows, but have to beat a timelimit before you wither up and die. The game doesn't strictly tell you where you need to go so ends up being more trial and error.

Its strongest element is maybe catching you with weird imagery or scenarios that are a bit strange to take in. A giant snail going down a highway, a weird looking plant that bleeds and screeches when you strike at it, that sort of thing.

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised to see it brought up, I played it when I was digging into the world of mobile horror, which I need to do more of at some point in the future. There's some absolute crap on mobile horror fronts, but there's also some real hidden gems and weird quirky horror games that are relatively niche from what I played. There's a few kind of interesting titles that miss the mark, and other surprisingly good horror games I had previously never heard of.

Dr Dogg

What if they release everywhere but Steam (aka do an EA)?

Then they're just as shortsighted as EA. End of the day you should be competing on services not products. You want your product in as many hands as possible to maximise every possible sale you can but if you have your own service that you take a bigger revenue share of then you should be offering up something different from the others, ie your competition.

So say you give the Origin version some cosmetic stuff no other version has for a limited period of time. The Uplay version get's bonus free copies of past titles not released on that platform but others. The Steam version integration with that platforms specific features like API driven Controller Support. A GOG version is DRM free and then all of the above and is that can be included with their own store version giving them the better overall package but the core game is available on your platform of choice.

So yes kind of like shitty retailer specific preorder bonuses, I'm sure some folks will baulk at the idea but ultimately you can never keep everyone happy. I mean in an ideal world the playingfield would be level as far as the eye can see but the money men don't like that, they'd rather have all of the money rather than some, but as compromises go the above is a solution I find far more amicable that full on Win10 Store exclusivity.

Of course if Microsoft releases something exclusively on their own store that doesn't rely on their infrastructure (ie Live for online) and omit places like Steam, Origin, Uplay, maybe even GOG if they're feeling charitable with the DRM, then the amount of greed just to gain that extra 30% of revenue is bigger than the pile of cash they'd be leaving on the table.
It feels like Microsoft wants to pull a Ubisoft.

I'm not really feeling Battleblock Theater so far. Sure the presentation is great, but I'm hardly enjoying going through the levels made out of blocks. I'm going to finish the current chapter and maybe the third one, but if it doesn't get any better than this I'll probably drop it.

Watched Fury Road last night.

Did people actually like this? The action scenes with the war rig and stuff were pretty sweet, but the plot was just kind of there. Things just kind of happened. I also gave literally no shits about any of the characters.

It did make me want to buy Mad Max, so I guess there's that.

Did people actually like this? The action scenes with the war rig and stuff were pretty sweet, but the plot was just kind of there. Things just kind of happened. I also gave literally no shits about any of the characters.

Mediocre!

Ludens

Banned

This happens in ALL Max Max movies, except the first one.

milena87

I recently watched it as well and I absolutely loved it. It's gorgeous, fun, well acted and with an amazing surround mix (I kinda want to upgrade to Atmos now...).

I never wanted it to end.

It's gorgeous, fun, well acted and with an amazing surround mix (I kinda want to upgrade to Atmos now...).

I agree here, though listening through computer speakers with a baby sleeping a couple rooms over probably didn't help me out.

Again, I'm not saying it was awful....just thought it was average.

Tizoc

Yes I have! I have some interesting thoughts on this one.

I played through it a couple years ago, the Silent Hill inspiration is obvious, but it's more of an inspired-by title than a rip-off. I actually think its weakest element is its platform, it controls a bit awkwardly on the phone/emulation, and the sound design leaves something to be desired... But the spritework is good, and there's some good twist and turns, a few interesting bosses near the end, it has some light inventory management and limited ammo/healing items, a few puzzles. Worst singular section in the game in my opinion is this gameplay stretch right before the final boss battle,
you get infected and turn into one of the weird humpback plant monsters you've been fighting most of the game, you are sensitive to sunlight and have to stick to shadows, but have to beat a timelimit before you wither up and die. The game doesn't strictly tell you where you need to go so ends up being more trial and error.

Its strongest element is maybe catching you with weird imagery or scenarios that are a bit strange to take in. A giant snail going down a highway, a weird looking plant that bleeds and screeches when you strike at it, that sort of thing.

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised to see it brought up, I played it when I was digging into the world of mobile horror, which I need to do more of at some point in the future. There's some absolute crap on mobile horror fronts, but there's also some real hidden gems and weird quirky horror games that are relatively niche from what I played. There's a few kind of interesting titles that miss the mark, and other surprisingly good horror games I had previously never heard of.

It popped up while I was doing a google search on HG101 articles, is it available on iTunes? Can't seem to find it when I search @_@

Dusk Golem

It popped up while I was doing a google search on HG101 articles, is it available on iTunes? Can't seem to find it when I search @_@

It's announced for iOS and Android with an updated version, but no word on that strictly. I also found out from researching if that was out yet the company that made Nowhere (DeValley) posted some development concept thing about Nowhere a year ago.

10382436_10152729586338440_8852648122239864972_n.png

"Shadow Fear
Nowhere, our survival and horror game has not always been Nowhere.
It was first a concept called Shadow Fear in which you played a prisonner who had to escape by avoiding deadly shadows.
But we decided to change all this for the disturbing game that become Nowhere. Lot better.
"

At the moment, for better or worse, I think Nowhere was taken down to work on the future version for current platforms, hope it goes through and doesn't become abandonware.

If you want some other mobile horror game recommendations, I know a few. I haven't fully delved into the world of mobile horror, but I've played a few titles, and a few are interesting.

milena87

I agree here, though listening through computer speakers with a baby sleeping a couple rooms over probably didn't help me out.

Again, I'm not saying it was awful....just thought it was average.

Ah, I see. I honestly think that I would not have enjoyed it as much as I did if I didn't watch it on my projector + 5.1 surround sound.

I think that visuals and sound have a very important role here. Much more than other recent action movies.

Dusk Golem

Scalebound & Gears of War 4 also confirmed to have PC versions in the works.

Mentioned in the above Quantum Break article, confirmed by Microsoft.

inm8num2

Groupees is big time now.

Groupees is excited to announce Groupees Interactive, its new publishing label for indie games. As a part of its initial rollout, Groupees Interactive is publishing prog.1 currently featured in the Bundle in a Box 6 bundle as well as Kunoi and Major Contract, coming soon to a Groupees bundle near you.

Pachimari

According to a poster in the other thread, his friend at Microsoft, confirmed that Quantum Break is coming to both Windows Store and Steam. He haven't been mod verified though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom