• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yes, it's a PM on GAF, otherwise I wouldn't have posted about it.

I got quite a few funny emails since achieving some minor degree of popularity on the internet.

Yeah, I kinda feel it, tbh.
Some notions like 'Durante better stop doing developer's works for free', or something like that. Both from gaf and steam discussion boards.

It's related to this article, right?
Quantum Break won't be the first to support crossbuy.
Microsoft plans to make Windows 10 - Xbox One game crossbuy a habit.

Dr Dogg

That's disappointing. I thought - what with all the errors - that it was lovingly handcrafted.

If it make you feel better it was probably copy pasted without using keyboard shortcuts and involved a whole lot of unnecessary dragging and clicking.

Also the user name from that link Ozi posted, tloufan13i59. That's some Jay and Silent Bob shit right there.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Frozen Synapse 2 got announced, which I am hyped for beyond belief. I was contemplating celebrating that announcement with a GAF tournament (its also currently 75% off). I would probably chip in 30$ worth of Steam gifts for the winner.
frozensynapse.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/98200/

(Old screenshot, too lazy to find a new one atm)

Anyone interested? Still trying to figure out if there is any interest for a contest in one of my favourite games ever.

Frozen Synapse 2 got announced, which I am hyped for beyond belief. I was contemplating celebrating that announcement with a GAF tournament (its also currently 75% off). I would probably chip in 30$ worth of Steam gifts for the winner.

Anyone interested? Still trying to figure out if there is any interest for a contest in one of my favourite games ever.

Is there still an active multiplayer community for this game? I was always interested but never got around to getting it. This sale may fix that..

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Battlefield Hardline is practically dead, with more players on PS3 than PC

Buying the season pass for Battlefield Hardline was probably a bad investment.

The reveal of Battlefield Hardline wasn’t met with the enthusiasm expected for a Battlefield title. And although the game’s image has changed dramatically since then – between two betas, and a release date delay – the PC community seemed to always be interested in Hardline the least.

As I was writing this story detailing Betrayal, the game’s upcoming DLC drop, I decided to check BFHStats to see just how active the game’s community is. I knew I wouldn’t like the numbers since they’ve always managed to drop every time I remember to check, but what I saw was truly amazing.

As of this writing there are less than 1,000 online players on PC, peaking at 2,594 in the last 24 hours. The PlayStation 3 has 1,696 active players now, with a peak of 3,262 during the last 24 hours. PS4 and Xbox One numbers are better, but nowhere near Battlefield 4.

To put these numbers into perspective, the PC has more players than PS3 in both Battlefield 3, and Bad Company 2, two much older games.

One one hand it’s unsurprising the game’s luster dissipated quickly, especially among PC players. On the other, not even its most ardent critics could’ve predicted such a quick downfall.

I bought the PC version on launch and didn’t play it that much, and almost wrote it off as money down the drain. But I can’t imagine how I would’ve felt if I had invested in the season pass. Come March when Betrayal is out – judging by player activity with previous DLCs – how many players do you think will be coming back, even with the draw of free content?

More than likely you won’t find populated servers for the majority of game modes, and will instead only see two or three servers rotating the four new maps. And they’re probably going to be running Conquest 64, the worst mode you could play in Hardline.

Visceral tried some interesting mechanics with Hardline, and some will no doubt find their way into future Battlefield games. Unfortunately, Hardline remains an off-shoot most didn’t ask for, and those who were willing to give it a try, left in a hurry,

Yes.

Ganado

Speaking of Kick, I just talked to him about a couple of things:

1) Valve has no desire to publish Gunman Chronicles on Steam, but Kick will talk to some employees about it come GDC
2) Night Dive hasn't been in talks with Disney yet regarding Turok 2008, but that is on the cards and should it happen, Stubbs the Zombie will be brought up

In short: next to no hope for Gunman but a sliver of hope for Stubbs.

YAw0Mhg.gif
Nooo, don't take away what makes me unique!!
29UlfsP.png

Nah, just kidding, hopefully they'll patch it up because afaik, no AMD cards worked with it and you had to resort to older Nvidia drivers to boot it up.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is there still an active multiplayer community for this game? I was always interested but never got around to getting it. This sale may fix that..

The community was never "huge", but there are always a constant 15-20 people online to play with. The single player challenges are quite interesting too, I highly recommend grabbing it.

Monooboe

Alright, if they indeed have crossbuy on xbox one and windows store on more than microsoft games then damn, that would be huge.

If I had to guess, MS doesn't mind taking a hit on their pc numbers so long as their xbox numbers aren't affected, which would explain why crossbuy only goes one way. That, and they're trying to get the win10 store to be a thing.

Crossbuy is pretty sick for xbone owners. It means they will be able to enjoy the definitive versions of their xbox games when they buy a new rig.

Or sell the PC codes for significant discounts for every game. Or vice versa, buy the PC version cheap and sell the xbone code. Not sure if these are possible though. As far I know, will the additional codes tied to the buyer's account or not is still a mystery.

Edit: Oh, the crossbuy is only one way? That's reasonable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I had to guess, MS doesn't mind taking a hit on their pc numbers so long as their xbox numbers aren't affected, which would explain why crossbuy only goes one way. That, and they're trying to get the win10 store to be a thing.

The win10 store thing is important. Especially if they can start to get some third parties doing cross buy then they'll pick up some traction I think.

Do both parties in a steam trade need to have the mobile authenticator activated to circumvent the 72 hr trade hold? I might have a coupon to gift, but it expires in 3 days.

Dr Dogg

Well a couple of promos so far on the XO regards to free back compat titles for owning a new release have worked in that as long as the game is shown up on your Live account by a certain date (as in you've played it whilst online) then you get a message through Live with a 5x5 code that you can either redeem direct onto that account or just offer up to someone. So for example with Gear Ultimate Edition if you had played it online by 1st December then you were sent codes for 1, 2, 3 and Judgement through Live. Which regardless if you picked them up on the console or the website had a link to redeem them to your account or could just give away the code to someone else.

How it's going to work for Quantum Break might be a little different but bear in mind it's just digital purchases on Live and redeemed codes from select retailers. So it's going to be tethered to a Live account for the XO version regardless so whether you get a ticket via a Live message like you do for back compat titles or it automatically gets added to your account no one really knows yet. If I look at my purchase history on Live Lara Croft GO and AssCreed Pirates, ie Win 8/10 store purchases, show up under the purchase history on the Xbox and MS account portals so there some visibility between the services regards to purchase history.

Arthea

17 hours left to grab Elliot Quest for a dollar: https://indiegamestand.com/deal/#details

... I have one person on my list that has actually played this. One. It's so crazy to me.

to be fair, there are so many good games on steam, that quite a few great I've played weren't touched by anybody on my fl, idling doesn't count.
It doesn't surprise me anymore.
I'm not playing Elliot Quest either, not sure I ever will. Such is a steam life. Too many games, too little time.

Ludens

Banned
I tried Elliot Quest with a pad, it has a horrible support for it. Dunno if the devs patched out a decent pad support, you can't rebind buttons.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If any of you get a threatening or inappropriate PM, please just notify a staff member so we can remove these spam accounts nice and quietly.

Thanks!

MaxiLive

SteamGAF, I want this game but I don't even know why I want it all of a sudden:

Could any of you who are part of the early access share your impressions?

I've been following BeamNG since the early tech demo days. Its a lot of fun crashing cars in the sandbox mode and playing around with the physics. There are also a fair few mods to try out but vary in quality fairly drastically.

There isn't much "Game" to it though, there are a few challenges and you can set races but that isn't half as fun as just smashing cars together :p If you liked Destruction Derby or just enjoying messing around with physics engines then its well worth grabbing. If you are looking for more of a game though I would wait for the full release.

Dr Dogg

Only PM's I get these days are moaning like 'why aren't you on Steam?'. Even ModBot has spurned my advances.

Anyhoo what with all the whiz bang, slow mo action of Quantum Break previews I've got the compulsion to go revisit Max Payne. Probably heresy that I'm probably going to skip 1 and 2 and go straight to 3.

I've been following BeamNG since the early tech demo days. Its a lot of fun crashing cars in the sandbox mode and playing around with the physics. There are also a fair few mods to try out but vary in quality fairly drastically.

There isn't much "Game" to it though, there are a few challenges and you can set races but that isn't half as fun as just smashing cars together :p If you liked Destruction Derby or just enjoying messing around with physics engines then its well worth grabbing. If you are looking for more of a game though I would wait for the full release.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated. I will pass for now. I don't quite enjoy sandboxes without a sense of purpose..

Mivey

Anyhoo what with all the whiz bang, slow mo action of Quantum Break previews I've got the compulsion to go revisit Max Payne. Probably heresy that I'm probably going to skip 1 and 2 and go straight to 3.
It's the appeal to play as the fat guy from the Hangover movies right?

Arthea

Only PM's I get these days are moaning like 'why aren't you on Steam?'. Even ModBot has spurned my advances.

I don't even get PMs anymore, I used to get when I posted more on gaming side, but none were hate PMs, most were quite nice, since I started to spend most gaftime in the steam thread, PMs stopped. It's understandable, we can discuss anything here, no need to resort to PMs.

I still haven't played even Max Payne 3, not sure why I bought it, I don't see myself getting to it in my lifetime.
Wait, that's probably not true, I might played some of it, I think. Now I don't even remember what I've played and what not, let alone which games I have...
What's next?

Knurek

Good luck getting the first two running on Win7+
(I usually have more luck than most folks, but stopped trying after two or three hours of looking. Those really seem like a lost cause)

I still haven't played even Max Payne 3, not sure why I bought it, I don't see myself getting to it in my lifetime

Not that you're missing much - this is a definite example of a game that hates the player.
Looks great, sure, but I can't give it anything else.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

Sure, I would like to play :)

I haven't played in years so if the tournament should happen give an early warning so that I can learn the basics again ;)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If any of you get a threatening or inappropriate PM, please just notify a staff member so we can remove these spam accounts nice and quietly.

Thanks!

I'd recommend PMing an admin specifically given mods can't modify user accounts. Might as well cut out the middle man.

On a related note, the staff page should be reorganised to reflect hierarchy: Owner -> Sys Admins -> Forum Admins -> Mods. I don't know how friendly vBulletin is in that regard, though, so it's possible doing so would be more trouble than its worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom