• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've been playing Talos on and off for over a year now. I'll get to the end eventually... and then take another year to finish the expansion. ;)

Jazz573

The save corruption bug: yes
The crash for no reason every now and then... nope
The thousands of typos/mistakes... neither
The leftover Japanese strings that appear fucked unless you run the game through applocal... wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Guess I'm gonna be waiting a while. :p

I don't understand how JAST USA made such a massive fuckup. :p Though, I think School Days had similar issues when it launched.

tumblr_nz7z75hPj21ubpbmgo1_500.gif

That is a lot of good games. I recently completed The Talos Principle and really enjoyed it :)

Thanks guys, I finally found enough time/patience to start those games.

That's 60 British pounds, which is like $90 USD. Normally a $60 game is 40 pounds. It's kind of insane to charge that much.

What's insane is thinking the economy operates in a vacuum and that everything should just be converted to your local currency based on the current exchange rate; using the conversion to USD with regards to pricing is pretty much worthless as it doesn't factor in anything else regarding cost of living/average wages/etc. from the consumer's end (and totally neglects any potential costs the business has when bringing a game to other markets). If anyone wants to do that, then everything should follow the conversion ratio; so let's compare NYC and London for a minute. Quick googling and applying the same principle of "hey, it costs $60 there, it should cost £41.35 here", we can see that the average price of a single bedroom apartment in London should go from £435-£550/month to £2050/month. Have fun affording that with the new minimum wage of £6.20-£7.24/hour instead of the £9.15/hour it's set to now.

I think you're missing that there is a £ sign and not a $ sign.

Nah. I'm not missing anything.

Shantom

I don't get it. KT charges retail for a game? Or is it about the port quality, which was their best effort to date at providing actual graphics options via the launcher?

That's £, not $. It's literally the most expensive PC game I've ever seen.

What's insane is thinking the economy operates in a vacuum and that everything should just be converted to your local currency based on the current exchange rate; using the conversion to USD with regards to pricing is pretty much worthless as it doesn't factor in anything else regarding cost of living/average wages/etc. from the consumer's end (and totally neglects any potential costs the business has when bringing a game to other markets). If anyone wants to do that, then everything should follow the conversion ratio; so let's compare NYC and London for a minute. Quick googling and applying the same principle of "hey, it costs $60 there, it should cost £41.35 here", we can see that the average price of a single bedroom apartment in London should go from £435-£550/month to £2050/month. Have fun affording that with the new minimum wage of £6.20-£7.24/hour instead of the £9.15/hour it's set to now.
What?

Your first sentence is correct, but the UK is not so much richer than the US that games should be 50% more expensive here, and this is shown by the fact that I can find any $60 game you care to name for less than £40 in the UK, including KT's stuff on console.

As for your London to NYC comparison, perhaps you should learn to read the data you've been looking at. Those are weekly prices for London that you've quoted.

Retail games are £40 or £45. Not £60. It's a terrible price no matter which way you spin it.

Also lol our minimum wage is not fucking £9 an hour. It's already just over £7.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
In 24 hours, Valentine's will begin, so this is my gift to you, SteamGAF.
Oh hey, thanks for giving away Sacred Tears. I completely forgot about it, I think it's just been festering on my wishlist for a long time.

Sure am. Though numbers are pretty low I feel.
I'd be interested but I'm like, ultra-n00b/scrub tier. In other words, I launched it once and played one match against AI and that's about my experience with it. I still have it installed though. Hope I can still get matches when SF5 comes out ;-;

MUnited83

For you.

Nah. I'm not missing anything.
Well, if this was accurate my country would get a price much lower than most of the rest of Europe, but this isn't the case.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Waaaaaaaaiiiiiiitttttt. That spoiler needs more content, Uzzy.

I'd say get good, usually, but maybe you just need to take a break from it - like a sleep or two, then go back to it. Usually works for me.

I dit it. DID IT.

Goddamn that felt good. The moment that last pillar turns white is pure magic.

Retail games are £40 or £45. Not £60. It's a terrible price no matter which way you spin it.

Also lol our minimum wage is not fucking £9 an hour. It's already just over £7.

My mistake on the minimum wage -- I saw "living wage" and thought it was the UK term for the minimum. That just means the drop off isn't quite as drastic, but it doesn't change that other aspects of the cost of living seem to be significantly lower in London vs. NY.

And I'll agree that it sucks to get a £15 or so price hike on a game out of nowhere, that's definitely going against the trend if your games normally cost £45. But using the USD as a base price is still not the greatest of ideas as conversions don't really account for the actual cost of living in a given country (and thus aren't necessarily proportionate to the disposable income an individual has and can afford to spend on a hobby/entertainment such as a video game).

That's £, not $. It's literally the most expensive PC game I've ever seen.

Your first sentence is correct, but the UK is not so much richer than the US that games should be 50% more expensive here, and this is shown by the fact that I can find any $60 game you care to name for less than £40 in the UK, including KT's stuff on console.

As for your London to NYC comparison, perhaps you should learn to read the data you've been looking at. Those are weekly prices for London that you've quoted.

The data I was looking at (top result on google when searching for "average cost of a one bedroom apartment in london") says that it's per month, not per week and the page says it was updated within the last month. I just took the top google result so I could grab some numbers for making the comparison. Looking at a few of the other pages returned in the result vary the rates with some listing per week and some listing per month. Even going with what the last site I checked at, my point regarding housing still stands (though not as drastic a comparison now) with a £1,700 average for a one bedroom apartment in London. After reading more of the search results, I think that maybe the first site was listing just a single bedroom for rent and not an entire apartment.

My intent was to provide an example for the point made in my first sentence... but I didn't want to spend hours compiling data to try to make my point, so I just went with the top results from google. Again, my error on not doing a ton of checking first, but posters bitching about games not converting to local currency based solely on the current exchange rates with the USD tends to rile me up.

My mistake on the minimum wage -- I saw "living wage" and thought it was the UK term for the minimum. That just means the drop off isn't quite as drastic, but it doesn't change that other aspects of the cost of living seem to be significantly lower in London vs. NY.

And I'll agree that it sucks to get a £15 or so price hike on a game out of nowhere, that's definitely going against the trend if your games normally cost £45. But using the USD as a base price is still not the greatest of ideas as conversions don't really account for the actual cost of living in a given country (and thus aren't necessarily proportionate to the disposable income an individual has and can afford to spend on a hobby/entertainment such as a video game).
I don't think he was saying that a $60 should be £40 because that's the conversion. He was saying that normally a game that is $60 in the US would be £40 here. Which is correct.

Amzin

London is one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in, and is only a portion of the UK population, just as NYC is for the U.S. Comparing the retail cost for an item based on costs of living in a single city is pointless. If you want to have digital items cost an amount based on the town you live in, then you could bring cost of living into it more. But since no one in their right mind can argue for that, it's makes much more sense to go with the ESTABLISHED baseline cost of similar goods, i.e. 40 pounds for a full-cost new game.

Note that a direct conversion rate is not used in many countries, the UK -> US one just happens to line up that way and has remained consistently close to a direct conversion throughout the past decade of financial nonsense. Australia is a great example of conversion getting thrown to the wind in favor of regional discrepancies.

JaseC

I mean you could but you would lose 8 hours playing what is easily the worst AC game that isn't AC1

I loathe the time I've spent with LibHD, but the original AssCreed is actually my favourite for the simple fact that it succeeds the most at making the player feel like an assassin -- you need to gather information on your target (as overly simplified and repetitive as these elements are) and it's left up you how best to use it.

MaxiLive

What multiplayer games are peeps playing these days? I've stopped playing LoL but need something to fill the void as I'm still only part of Onlywatch and waiting on The Division.

Annubis

Guess I'm gonna be waiting a while. :p

I don't understand how JAST USA made such a massive fuckup. :p Though, I think School Days had similar issues when it launched.

Yeah, they really fucked up this one.

I'm not even sure if they are going to make another patch.
It would be complicated because the content restoration patch only works with the latest patch. Making another patch would also mean having to redo the content restoration patch.

haha what's that from?

Shiny Days. Great game (DO NOT GOOGLE AT WORK!!!)

I loathe the time I've spent with LibHD, but the original AssCreed is actually my favourite for the simple fact that it succeeds the most at making the player feel like an assassin -- you need to gather information on your target (as overly simplified and repetitive as these elements are) and it's left up you how best to use it.

Sure but you have to admit, the games that came after it were much better.

I played AC1 when it launched, I did about 4 assassinations before my attention just went elsewhere

Shantom

Your London to NYC comparison was incorrect anyway, plus I never even mentioned $ pricing, I was laughing at KT hiking their already high prices (they share the £50 pricepoint with only 2 or 3 other games on Steam) to something higher than any other PC game.

If we are comparing disposable income between the US and UK, then the latest figures I can find from a quick Google show that the US is 1st, while the UK is 12th among OECD countries, so I guess that makes the pricing even worse. Thanks for supporting my argument.

JaseC

Sure but you have to admit, the games that came after it were much better.

I played AC1 when it launched, I did about 4 assassinations before my attention just went elsewhere

I have a particular soft spot for 2 and Brotherhood as Renaissance Italy is by far my favourite setting of the series thus far, plus Jesper Kyd's music is sublime.

MUnited83

For you.
One thing I really really miss from AC1 is how counters worked. You could get a insta-kill if you countered with the hidden blade equipped, but it required some damn good timing to do so.

def sim

One thing I really really miss from AC1 is how counters worked. You could get a insta-kill if you countered with the hidden blade equipped, but it required some damn good timing to do so.

Yup yup

I felt dope as all hell using it and every kill felt earned. The first AC had some good ideas, it's too bad they abandoned them.

Bowlie

Banned
I bought 31 games in the last sale for X Brazilian Reais and sold their cards for a total of 3*X Reais.

I didn't even want to buy a particular game, but it felt goood.

(maybe I'll play them someday)

Made a Win10 Install USB, wiped clean my SSD and just finished installing Win10.
Phew, now the arduous task of setting all programs, bookmarks, passwords etc.

At least installation was butter smooth and fast. Things I noticed so far coming from Win8.1.
- dxdiag shows DirectX 12
- no metro pop-ups at borders/corners
- start-menu exists but sucks a bit
- there is still a duology going on with settings, metro-themed & oldschool (usable)
- logging in takes longer
- got oldschool windows games working

Gotta look up classicshell for Win10 and get the superior old Start Menu.

Balthuk

Made a Win10 Install USB, wiped clean my SSD and just finished installing Win10.
Phew, now the arduous task of setting all programs, bookmarks, passwords etc.

At least installation was butter smooth and fast. Things I noticed so far coming from Win8.1.
- dxdiag shows DirectX 12
- no metro pop-ups at borders/corners
- start-menu exists but sucks a bit
- there is still a duology going on with settings, metro-themed & oldschool (usable)
- logging in takes longer
- got oldschool windows games working

Gotta look up classicshell for Win10 and get the superior old Start Menu.

Just in case you don't know, you can use ninite to download and install a bunch of commonly used programms and install them. It selects the latest version compatible with your pc(64bit versions and all that), unticks all toolbars and such. All you have to do is select the programms. Useful for clean installs such as your case.

Knurek

Force of habit. During Windows Installation I delete the partition/drive beforehand.

Since Win10 = Win8 = Win7 (basically), you don't really need to that anymore, saving you time with hunting for bookmarks, reinstalling programs, etc
Seriously, it's not like win98->xp upgrade which worked, like, 10% of the time.

i need to do a wipe because my internet stopped working and whatever i did in my registry to get it working again broke all of my Windows Apps.

I felt kinda lazy doing the upgrade as it was anyhow, a nice clean OS install will feel like a cold shower after a long summer day

Just in case you don't know, you can use ninite to download and install a bunch of commonly used programms and install them. It selects the latest version compatible with your pc(64bit versions and all that), unticks all toolbars and such. All you have to do is select the programms. Useful for clean installs such as your case.
I heard of it but forgot totally. Thanks, gonna be very useful.
Since Win10 = Win8 = Win7 (basically), you don't really need to that anymore, saving you time with hunting for bookmarks, reinstalling programs, etc
Seriously, it's not like win98->xp upgrade which worked, like, 10% of the time.
I did upgrade once from 98 to ME and it was a clusterf*. Never again. I believe you that it's good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom