• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loathe the time I've spent with LibHD, but the original AssCreed is actually my favourite for the simple fact that it succeeds the most at making the player feel like an assassin -- you need to gather information on your target (as overly simplified and repetitive as these elements are) and it's left up you how best to use it.

I liked AC:L on the Vita; it was only my 3rd AC game, but I felt that it was closer to the original in terms of actually feeling like an assassin than playing as Ezio in GTA:Renaissance. I also liked the premise behind switching outfits, though some were much more useful in practice than others... but it reminded me of something like Hitman where you can have multiple routes to assassinate a target and some of them could involve disguises of sorts. Plus it was cool to play as a female assassin for a change (the reason I stayed away from brotherhood for so long, and the reason why I still haven't played Revelations is because I really didn't want to go through another game as Ezio).

Anyone interested in the new Groupees Be Mine Anniversary 3 preorder for $2.50?
https://groupees.com/bma3

It comes with 8 games total and Reddit has determined it comes with these games:

Shadow Blade: Reload is solid and probably worth the $2.50 alone.
The other games you linked aren't in my library, but I'm not inclined to add them at this point.

That's because you upgraded to ME. Huge mistake.

Eh, ME had it's problems, but it also had some good things going on. I was routinely switching between ME, 98, and a preview of Windows 2000 while I was in college. I would get fed up with <X> not working and decide to go back to one of the other versions where <X> was working. Part of it was my Altec Lansing speakers/TurtleBeach sound card where the drivers refused to work in ME... but I can't recall exactly what ME provided for me that was better than 98.

Amzin

Since Win10 = Win8 = Win7 (basically), you don't really need to that anymore, saving you time with hunting for bookmarks, reinstalling programs, etc
Seriously, it's not like win98->xp upgrade which worked, like, 10% of the time.

I actually accidentally upgraded from 8.1 -> 10 one day because I absentmindedly clicked the "delay for 4 hours" thing and forgot about it. Windows did not :p But yea the upgrade was painless and aside from my "wtf happened" moment when I came back to the PC, no headaches at all.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Phew, now the arduous task of setting all programs, bookmarks, passwords etc.

One of the reasons I love Chrome is because of it's bookmark sync functionality you get from signing in. Fire up a fresh OS install, download Chrome, sign in, and everything is right where you left it. I think Firefox has a service that does this now too if I'm not mistaken.

As for passwords, that's another reason I love modern password managers (personally, I use LastPass) but 1password and keepass are good too. Downloading the LastPass desktop app also gets non-web passwords and such synced over making it really easy to start up from a fresh build.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

6b4lgOs.jpg
->
dppG8lL.jpg
->
5QqXp6z.jpg

Oh no, it has uPlay, so I'm refunding it after 1 minute?
Is that's the point?

Also who is Garry Newman and why should I care?

One of the reasons I love Chrome is because of it's bookmark sync functionality you get from signing in. Fire up a fresh OS install, download Chrome, sign in, and everything is right where you left it. I think Firefox has a service that does this now too if I'm not mistaken.

As for passwords, that's another reason I love modern password managers (personally, I use LastPass) but 1password and keepass are good too. Downloading the LastPass desktop app also gets non-web passwords and such synced over making it really easy to start up from a fresh build.

I use LastPass as well and it's worth the $12/yr for the premium version (I think this is so I could get it working on my phones, maybe?) Extremely useful.

Firefox does have a sync feature now, but in my experience it's lacking because it forces your open tabs to every place you're logged in. I just wanted it to remember my history/bookmarks/plugins like chrome does, but when I opened FF on my desktop and was greated by all the tabs I had open on my work machine... I immediately turned it off.

Werd

I played the demo, and everything was super-easy coming off of Squarecells. I loved Picross for DS and even Picross 3D. Does it get much more difficult in the later stages not in the demo?

I cleared (all stars) SquareCells over the last couple days, I found the later 12x12 levels really really tedious, like I would have been better off doing it on pen and paper. HexCells all the way.

tuxfool

Banned
Buying a Ubisoft game, you'd expect them to use their own DRM service that they have listed on the store page and probably from wherever you got it as well. Unless you just don't read anything.

Problem stems from the fact that Gary Newman doesn't use Enhanced Steam. Otherwise he would have been alerted to this fact in a big red box.

Also who is Garry Newman and why should I care?
I'll give you a clue. He made a game about naked people (killing each other with rocks) and also a famous Rube Goldberg game with his first name on it.

Since Win10 = Win8 = Win7 (basically), you don't really need to that anymore, saving you time with hunting for bookmarks, reinstalling programs, etc
Seriously, it's not like win98->xp upgrade which worked, like, 10% of the time.

In my experience, it has always been worthwhile to start out with a clean slate when doing a major upgrade to your operating system. This is based on Windows, Linux (various distros), and OSX. There is simply so many things that can go wrong when you upgrade, and starting fresh also means that you don't carry over whatever junk is already clogging up your system. And I personally read enough accounts of people having troubles following an upgrade (rather than clean install) to Windows 10 that I never even considered just upgrading.

I see. Always thought they were aiming for Q2/3, but seems these were just rumors.

It isnt. Its a great MMO you can play solo.
AMD has already said it will release mid this year, so that is why people think Nvidia will be around the same time.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9886/amd-reveals-polaris-gpu-architecture
What multiplayer games are peeps playing these days? I've stopped playing LoL but need something to fill the void as I'm still only part of Onlywatch and waiting on The Division.
Rocket League, Hearthstone, Dota 2 and CSGO are some popular multiplayer games currently. Street Fighter V will probably be popular once it releases.

Balthuk

Ucchedav&#257;da;195072543 said:
In my experience, it has always been worthwhile to start out with a clean slate when doing a major upgrade to your operating system. This is based on Windows, Linux (various distros), and OSX. There is simply so many things that can go wrong when you upgrade, and starting fresh also means that you don't carry over whatever junk is already clogging up your system. And I personally read enough accounts of people having troubles following an upgrade (rather than clean install) to Windows 10 that I never even considered just upgrading.

Yes I have mostly read that a clean install is preferable, haven't done it myself though. And since we're on win10 talk, is there any way I can get the win10 key without downloading or at least without installing it? Is the win10 download more like an iso meaning I can also dual boot without messing with my win7?
---
And to talk about games, I'm now deep into frozen synapse. It messes with my brain in the same way that binding of isaac or xcom have in the past, I just wanna play a bit more!

Dr.Acula

Banned
Why would you do that?

http://www.kingston.com/en/community/articledetail?ArticleId=10

When an ATA Secure Erase (SE) command is issued against a SSD's built-in controller That properly supports it, the SSD controller resets all its storage cells as empty (releasing stored electrons) - just THUS restoring the SSD to factory default settings and write performance. When Implemented properly, SE will process all regions Including the protected storage service regions of the half.

Your SSD slows down over time. Erasing the drive refreshes performance.

Problem stems from the fact that Gary Newman doesn't use Enhanced Steam. Otherwise he would have been alerted to this fact in a big red box.

I'll give you a clue. He made a game about naked people (killing each other with rocks) and also a famous Rube Goldberg game with his first name on it.

Pretty much. Has saved me a couple purchases (and subsequent backlog bloatage).

Dsyndrome

Wait, I just found that apparently the Councilman in XCOm is the Honest Trailers voice guy?! :O

Saw that yesterday, pretty funny.

Time to not care about school at all for the rest of the day; mother fuckers that demanded we have our test today didn't even show up for the test, one went skiing and the other said he wasn't ready; they both get to take it on Tuesday. Feel like naming them folks in either XCOM or Darkest Dungeon and purposely get their shit kicked in.

I'll probably end up playing Tomb Raider and kill lots of folks instead, though.

user237

Anyone interested in the new Groupees Be Mine Anniversary 3 preorder for $2.50?
https://groupees.com/bma3

It comes with 8 games total and Reddit has determined it comes with these games:

I'm going to skip the pre-order and buy it at full price so I can get rid of my last groupees coin (the $4 one)

The full price shouldn't be any more than $5 I would hope. This might be the best chance to get rid of any coins people have in their accounts since the price will be pretty close to even.

AHA-Lambda

Played a couple of hours of Dying Light's DLC today and it's rough getting back into that game after about a year after the fact =/

Getting quite a Gat Out of Hell vibe to it. I get the impression so far that you're largely doing side quests until you max out a trust meter with the DLC faction.

EDIT: just noticed I seem to be at 50% story completion already, I thought it was like 10 hours? =/

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
The Internet Archive brings Windows 3.1 games to your browser

The Internet Archive, which brought nearly 2400 MS-DOS games to the convenience and comfort of your browser last summer, has expanded its collection with programs from the Windows 3.1 era, including more than 1000 games.

A lot of the games in the collection are shareware releases, which is why you see things like the Taipei exit message asking you to send five bucks to the author if you like the game. Much of it is proto-indie stuff you've never heard of, but there are some names in here you may recognize, too, like The Even More Incredible Machine, Sim Earth, American Civil War: From Sumter to Appomattox, Hoyle Solitaire, and even Out of This World, the Americanized version of the groundbreaking platformer Another World.

It's not what you'd call a tightly-packed collection of super-smash hits, and some of it is just silly—witness Trash, pictured, which is literally a (very amusing) “cheap shot” against the Apple Macintosh, a relic of the war before the Console Wars—but also a fun slice of history, from a time when Windows hadn't quite evolved into a full-blown operating system.

“The colorful and unique look of Windows 3/3.1 is a 16-bit window into what programs used to be like, and depending on the graphical whims of the programmers, could look futuristic or incredibly basic,” archivist Jason Scott wrote. “For many who might remember working in that environment, the view of the screenshots of some of the hosted programs will bring back long-forgotten memories.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom