• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Eh, you are comparing two completely different things. Steam machines did fine, and they are not the ones taking the hit anyways. The Steam Controller is awesome and keeps getting better and better. VR is something much bigger than Steam Music and they are already developing what will be the main VR Api, and that is all that mather. They don't need killer app at all, they don't need to HL3 VR at all. All they have to do is keeping improving their Api and headsets, and the games will come, both from AAA and indie devs. There doesn't need to be a super huge mega ultra AAA game for VR, only a steady offering of high quality software. This is what they said, and they're right.

And who will provide that HQ software? Oculus at least financially supports projects so devs are going to them because it is safer to get some/all money in advance. Launching software on new platform is extremely risky and that is why you don't see big publishers doing VR (Except Sony but even they are doing smaller projects). Valve with one game could sell significant numbers of Vives that would then give more reason to other devs to go and do games/apps for VR.

MUnited83

For you.
And who will provide that HQ software? Oculus at least financially supports projects so devs are going to them because it is safer to get some/all money in advance. Launching software on new platform is extremely risky and that is why you don't see big publishers doing VR (Except Sony but even they are doing smaller projects). Valve with one game could sell significant numbers of Vives that would then give more reason to other devs to go and do games/apps for VR.
The spread of their API all but guarantees that most VR games will be on the Vive, and there's already a fuck ton of devs making VR games . Support for Vive is very much guaranteed.
They also, once again, dont need a HL3 to sell Vives. For the time being, its a niche enthusiast market, and the numbers are ajustes accordingly. I have no doubt Valve will sell through most of the Vives they produce this year. They don't care about making it a super fad out of the bat: they are in for the long run.

ExoSoul

Banned

But then you'd would have the Vive brand dependant of that one product.
There's already VR stuff on steam, more will come. It's about the hardware/software and price of the product, not the other product you'll use it for.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That VR devices have become separate platforms unto themselves is disappointing but not unexpected. Valve's goal with SteamVR was to unite everything under the one SDK so developers wouldn't have to target each device individually, but it requires cooperation that's clearly not going to happen.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Cooperation in the tech world?
Thems some pipe dreams.

yeah standards exist, but it takes years for them to work out

Thirty bucks for Yuri's on the Roof?

Nani?!

luis-nani.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Heya, for (my) morning Steamgaf as well:
2KUIHni.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1183361

Frozen Synapse tournament to celebrate the FS2 announcement :) Registration and training for 2 more weeks and 40$ in prices.

Maybe its a good enough reason for some of you to finally pull the game from your backlog. ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
One of the reasons I love Chrome is because of it's bookmark sync functionality you get from signing in. Fire up a fresh OS install, download Chrome, sign in, and everything is right where you left it. I think Firefox has a service that does this now too if I'm not mistaken.

As for passwords, that's another reason I love modern password managers (personally, I use LastPass) but 1password and keepass are good too. Downloading the LastPass desktop app also gets non-web passwords and such synced over making it really easy to start up from a fresh build.

chrome bookmark sync + Lastpass password manager + dropbox for documents.

So easy to start over if needed I rarely bother imaging my computer anymore - just start over.

Need to check out ninite though - would be cool if you could build your own custom list of apps as you install them, and then save an 'install list' online somewhere so you could execute that.

Pachimari

I think I ended up with a few Ys, King of Fighters, Guilty Gear and BlazBlue games this sale. Still need Continuum Shift Extend and Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R.

Pachimari

nice haul! You should play Ys first! :)

I bought all of the Ys games actually. And also the two original games for iPhone but I'm gonna play it on PC instead. I'm currently planning out which games I want to complete this year, and I already have a lot on my plate: Until Dawn, Oxenfree, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX, Dragon Quest IV, The World Ends With You, Bloodborne and Persona 4: Golden. I might slot in Ys 1 Chronicles but I'm honestly more of a story guy, than gameplay person.

Adry9

Started playing Alien: Isolation, love the art direction and basically the whole atmosphere of the game, it's just like the original movie, but on the other hand I can't deal with the tension of horror games and having the Alien haunting me all the time. I think I'd enjoy it more with the no Alien mod but it kinda takes away the point of the game :(

Xanathus

Just 100% Arkham Knight. Amazing game, well worth waiting for the hoopla around the bad port to be over and have it discounted. Aside from random crashes during the open world which weren't too bad because the game saves constantly, the game ran perfectly well on my 2013 rig.

Dr Dogg

Salsa pls.

I'm impressed you managed to get Rolento and Guile in the same image. Attention to detail.

Anyway here's some footage from last nights shenanigans. Sadly not all of it as ShadowPlay has gone back to murdering my PC. So just in game YouTube upload stuff (which I might go back and rerecord as the quality is rubbish).

Poison (Messiah) vs Ken (Dogg)

Cammy (Uzzy) vs Ken (Dogg)

Chun-Li (Uzzy) vs Ken (Dogg)

Rose (ViviOggi) vs Ken (Dogg)

Fei Long (ViviOggi) vs Sakura (Dogg)

Ryu (Messiah) vs Cammy (Dogg)

Cammy (Dogg) vs Juri (Uzzy)

Makoto (Dogg) vs Zangief (ViviOggi)

El Fuerte (Messiah) vs Ken (Dogg)

Juri (Uzzy) vs Ryu (Dogg)

Sagat (Messiah) vs Ken (Dogg)

ViviOggi

I'm impressed you managed to get Rolento and Guile in the same image. Attention to detail.

Anyway here's some footage from last nights shenanigans. Sadly not all of it as ShadowPlay has gone back to murdering my PC. So just in game YouTube upload stuff (which I might go back and rerecord as the quality is rubbish).

Poison (Messiah) vs Ken (Dogg)

Cammy (Uzzy) vs Ken (Dogg)

Chun-Li (Uzzy) vs Ken (Dogg)

Rose (ViviOggi) vs Ken (Dogg)

Fei Long (ViviOggi) vs Sakura (Dogg)

Ryu (Messiah) vs Cammy (Dogg)

Cammy (Dogg) vs Juri (Uzzy)

Makoto (Dogg) vs Zangief (ViviOggi)

El Fuerte (Messiah) vs Ken (Dogg)

Juri (Uzzy) vs Ryu (Dogg)

Sagat (Messiah) vs Ken (Dogg)
Good stuff!

Rise of the Tomb Raider is such a pretty game, I could see where Anita was coming from in her latest ass video, but it was a nice ass so I'm not complaining.

Jawmuncher

image0dsv5.jpeg

The costumes don't have a period exclusivity do they? I know Resident Evil 0s did outside of buying the complete pack.

Also my bad forgetting about the USF4, then again where I'm at the wifi is pretty bad for online.

Good grief, of course ND and UC4 have to be brought into the QB discussion....

The whole QB discussion became shit. I mean "everyone" was saying it was good that QB comes to PC and more games from the Xbox One should come. Then about half a day later someone on GAF opened a thread about PS4 exclusives should also be on PC, then everything changed and now console-exclusives on PC are shit...

Tizoc

The whole QB discussion became shit. I mean "everyone" was saying it was good that QB comes to PC and more games from the Xbox One should come. Then about half a day later someone on GAF opened a thread about PS4 exclusives should also be on PC, then everything changed and now console-exclusives on PC are shit...

Naughty Dog are the MC Hammer of video games :V

Bloodborne needs to be announced for Steam already just so we can vote it #1 for 2016 and see how the Sony Shills feel about it :V

I for one am I baffled by the amount of people who suddenly don't love comfy couch anymore, and are on the verge of becoming PC gamers.

Naughty Dog are the MC Hammer of video games :V

Bloodborne needs to be announced for Steam already just so we can vote it #1 for 2016 and see how the Sony Shills feel about it :V

It wont be, but damn. I would like to see the reactions.

I for one am I baffled by the amount of people who suddenly don't love comfy couch anymore, and are on the verge of becoming PC gamers.

"I dont want to sit like a monkey in front of a PC."
"But you can just connect your PC to the TV and still have comfy couch gaming."
"Dont wanna do that."

These were the arguments before...

dex3108

"I dont want to sit like a monkey in front of a PC."
"But you can just connect your PC to the TV and still have comfy couch gaming."
"Dont wanna do that."

These were the arguments before...

"Then play it on consoles"
"But it is better on PC and i don't want to play it on consoles now"

XD

Uzzy

The costumes don't have a period exclusivity do they? I know Resident Evil 0s did outside of buying the complete pack.

Also my bad forgetting about the USF4, then again where I'm at the wifi is pretty bad for online.

I'd be shocked if they weren't available to purchase when the store launches in March. Capcom need the money!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 21 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gone Home With Soundtrack -- MB-2C97714DA61A32B7
Shadowgate (2014) -- MB-364DAC507534A94E
Supercharged Robot VULKAISER -- MB-2E00AD04CC5DF7BE
Shadowgate: MacVenture Series -- MB-0B2066F7365AB873
Overlord II -- MB-0F77B96DEABFE415 - Taken by ThirtyFour
Chaos on Deponia -- MB-A570ADA2871C5FFC
Goodbye Deponia -- MB-BBAD317888939357
Q.U.B.E.: Director's Cut -- MB-79B35627815B43DB
NEO AQUARIUM - The King of Crustaceans -- MB-745FC7CD17E37E25
The Sacred Tears TRUE -- MB-790648ADFEBCFFFE
Vanguard Princess -- MB-73BD452B090815B2
Sir, You Are Being Hunted -- MB-C812D8B2D6963251