• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

gelf

You actually can get Windows 10 apps added as non steam games. You create a shortcut to the app, then write a batch file with the path to the shortcut and then use a bat to exe program so its accepted by steam.

Popstar

Anyone here back any of the following kickstarters:
- Asylum edit: got this one, thanks faceless007
- Cryamore
- Night in the Woods
- La-Mulana 2

If so, can you send me text or screenshot versions of the most recent few updates (since December)? I track Kickstarter progress and would like to see how these projects are doing. Thanks.
I backed Night in the Woods. I take some screens and send you a PM.

Vibranium

Banned
You actually can get Windows 10 apps added as non steam games. You create a shortcut to the app, then write a batch file with the path to the shortcut and then use a bat to exe program so its accepted by steam.

Someone should write a tutorial for Steam-GAF, that could come in handy for those who need it in the next year.

Few people from my house are getting Street Fighter 5 so I think this will be the time I finally try to understand how to play fighting games. Exciting!

How do you disable the Xbox One controller function where hitting the middle button brings up that W10 game menu? I just want to use it for steam big picture stuff.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I just added the two halo shooters to steam. It's a bit of a process: you need to learn the actual apps name, then use a batch file to convert another batch file into an exe file. But it can be done in like less than 5 minutes.

Does this allow the Steam Overlay to run on W10 store purchases?

Few people from my house are getting Street Fighter 5 so I think this will be the time I finally try to understand how to play fighting games. Exciting!

How do you disable the Xbox One controller function where hitting the middle button brings up that W10 game menu? I just want to use it for steam big picture stuff.

on that Windows 10 game menu that pops up click the gear icon...then uncheck the option about the XBOX button

yuraya

Halo, Gears of War, Killer Instinct, Scalebound, Forza, Quantum Break, Rare Replay, etc.
Once they get the games on PC, people who don't want to shell out for an X1 and an XBLA sub will buy them there if they want to play them. Just as people did for ME3, Dead Space 3, DA:I, Battlefield, etc. on PC when it came to being Origin only.

You're looking at it as a single game launching the service and needing immediate RoI. Hasn't the XSEED Trails SC talk in here taught you anything about sales mattering more over the long term, especially if you don't need the profit immediately to keep your business running? ;)

But will Phil Spencer agree to the new Halo and Gears to come out on Windows 10? Because if the other day is anything to go by then Xbox fans will be tossing their Xbones out the window in protest. Seems like risky business.

Also Rare has been dead for decades and Forza can't even chart in npd for MS. I really doubt any of those games sell more than like 25k on Win10.

Durante

I always complain about the people who seem married to Steam and won't even consider a game if it's on GoG, or Uplay, or even Origin.

But now I actually appreciate them.
Please, don't buy "Universal Apps".

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I didn't check but I doubt it. AFAIK, win10 apps never open in fullscreen and it has its own xbox overlay stuff so I don't think it plays well. I'd have to check later though, I'm not neat my pc right now.

I doubt it as well.

Just like Microsoft to lock out competing hardware like the Steam Controller for their own proprietary devices.

Especially after the "VR doesn't need AAA-killer app" thread I think even more that Valve is right on that regard.

Look at Microsoft's gaming division: I am kinda bamboozled by the approach they are taking once again. "Windows Store is the best, because arbitrary product X is only available on our store". Haven't they learned anything from Ubisoft or Origin? It's not even that a game should be on Steam: games should be available on any service. But not being on Steam means only one thing: less revenue. Lots of less revenue.

Until Windows Store offers something unique or just generally much better than on any other service, people aren't going to jump in. And currently their trump card is that they can have Xbox games and other platforms can't. That's not a feature, that's like holding up a really crappy ransom.

Soulflarz

Banned
I always complain about the people who seem married to Steam and won't even consider a game if it's on GoG, or Uplay, or even Origin.

I don't buy games on GoG because I find steam easier/I'll probably forget about a game on GoG.
I don't like uplay and origin too much but I'll buy on them, if only because not playing a PC port or paying more for steam seems silly when it opens the uplay launcher, or in the case of origin, means not playing the game on pc.

L.O.R.D

The problem with installing games from windows 10 store is you must have at least the same size of free space on C drive (or whatever the windows on) and then it move to the destination drive.

So, it act like temp folder for downloading the game files.

I really don't know why.

Soulflarz

Banned
The problem with installing games from windows 10 store is you must have at least the same size of free space on C drive (or whatever the windows on) and then it move to the destination drive.

I really don't know why.

Wait
Doesn't that mean that 128gb SSDs are suicide?

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Yeah, that was one of the worst posts I've seen on gaming, like seriously wtf.

Microsoft invests in a game, Microsoft takes all the profit, Microsoft continue investing in gaming and create better titles for all.
Letting Steam crash the party was never the intended effect of bringing exclusives to PC, and personally I'm not a steam-fanboy so I could care less.

They should not conform to the PC standards, they are quite literally horrific and totally biased towards the consumer which in theory is good, but makes an impact on the developers and sales of the product.

I'm all for letting people mod games and I think MS will answer those demands, but I don't think they should put their investments on other stores just because people are fanboys of one particular service.

Whole post

Wok

That's a weird thing to say. (At first I thought you were in agreement since the " quote + . " is usually used that way lol)

Same.

Yeah, that was one of the worst posts I've seen on gaming, like seriously wtf.

They should not conform to the PC standards, they are quite literally horrific and totally biased towards the consumer which in theory is good, but makes an impact on the developers and sales of the product.

Whole post

It took me a while to understand that the sentence meant:

They should not conform to the PC standards, which are quite literally horrific and totally biased towards the consumer

instead of

They should not conform to the PC standards, and they (Microsoft) are quite literally horrific and totally biased towards the consumer

fallout

Despite their shitty client, I really see GOG as this little oasis in a sea of DRM. They've also been great on the side of consumer rights (e.g., they've had a refund system for ages). It's been nice to see them gaining more traction with bigger publishers over the years.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I think the most frustrating thing about that thread and that conversation is that people don't seem to realize that Microsoft, EA, and Ubisoft have all had ample opportunity to create genuinely competing services to Steam over the years and have very deliberately chosen not to compete. They do not give a fuck about actually creating a compelling service for consumers or developers. They have communicated this with every single decision they've made in that space.

Microsoft holding a game hostage on an objectively inferior service is not something to shrug your shoulders at, let alone celebrate as "competition" to Steam's "monopoly." It's just another especially juicy shit sandwich that's being handed down to the consumer.

Dr Dogg

When the hell people started believing Greenberg?

I wonder how many people actually bothered to listen to the linked podcast and heard exactly what he was asked and exactly what he replied?

Not that it matters much but a fair few of the Xbox division have a 'uniquie' use of language.

Nabs

Disc Jam is only in a technical pre-alpha, but it's already a lot of fun. It's basically WindJammers, but with a different perspective. I do hope they can do something more interesting with the art style and character design before release, but they definitely got the core gameplay right.

Vamphuntr

It sad but Microsoft really doesn't get it. It reminds me of their initial vision for Xbox One. Everyone wondered where it came from and if they actually polled actual gamers/customers about it because it seemed so out of touch with the current market.

They want to force you to adhere to their current practices without giving up an inch unless the uproar is so big they have to completely change their plan. I have no problem having DX12 exclusive to Win10 since it was a free upgrade but forcing people to use their Appstore is awful since you are severely limited with what you can do with a game.

Forcing people to use your gimped and walled store isn't going to work and you will miss the boat once again.

Hektor

Microsoft holding a game hostage on an objectively inferior service is not something to shrug your shoulders at, let alone celebrate as "competition" to Steam's "monopoly." It's just another especially juicy shit sandwich that's being handed down to the consumer.

Yup, two stores with two different librarys don't compete.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I wonder how many people actually bothered to listen to the linked podcast and heard exactly what he was asked and exactly what he replied?

Not that it matters much but a fair few of the Xbox division have a 'uniquie' use of language.

Listened, he said it was a win10 store exclusive, all he said about it before moving to the next thing.

Dr Dogg

Listened, he said it was a win10 store exclusive, all he said about it before moving to the next thing.

Just like Rise of the Tomb Raider was an Xbone exclusive right :p

Time will tell on this one. Granted slightly different situation but this one has much larger cost implications for them that being stupid is going to be even more costly.

So it could still be a Uplay/GFWL type situation

It's going to be on thier store and that's it but it's not a statement 'it's never coming anywhere else ever' so we'll see. But you announce a game for your Settop Box Platform as exclusive to that and then get folks excited and invested in that only just under 2 months before release to say 'oh wait it's not exclusive to that anymore but also on PC's too! But only our store, no where else'. Is it going to sell more than being just an Xbone Exclusive? Would it sell more if available on every PC storefront? Will this horribly backfire on the, and harm sales all round? No one will ever know but it's yet another bumbling show from them.

Vamphuntr

Time will tell on this one. Granted slightly different situation but this one has much larger cost implications for them that being stupid is going to be even more costly.

The same company that wanted a huge TV focus for Xbox One and created a TV Division for Xbox. How well did that go?

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Well it was to a question which was "Will it be on steam?".
So he must be simply lying or it's true, nothing to really analyze about the statement in and of itself, no marketing phrases or such

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Paladins Founders Pack -- MB-820F5E1D46E90739 - Taken by ThirtyFour. 3 entrants total.

t1455408030z1.png

Turfster

Uplay's cloud saves don't actually work.
Lost all my syndicate progress... and now it's overwritten anything that might have been there by a 0% completion savegame.
Sigh.

Dr Dogg

The same company that wanted a huge TV focus for Xbox One and created a TV Division for Xbox. How well did that go?

Well there's only so many times you can keep pushing a door that says pull before you realise you're doing it wrong, right?

Well it was to a question which was "Will it be on steam?".
So he must be simply lying or it's true, nothing to really analyze about the statement in and of itself, no marketing phrases or such

No but very carefully worded and Greenberg didn't mention Steam, didn't say no and only talked about their product. Sound familiar? PR 101.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom