• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigzgod

I will agree with you, the price on Danganronpa is kinda high... I would've expected the PC release to launch at $20 like Disgaea did. At that price, I'll wait for it to get tossed into PS+ and play it on my Vita, much like I did with VLR.

It will very likely be $20 or less from Canada. US Price will be $24 but I expect that Canada will be a couple bucks cheaper like it usually is.

Dr Dogg

I'm sure Microsoft are happy with 100% off a couple of thousand customers compared to 70% from millions on all the other services they're skipping. Greed pure and simple, you can dress it up any other way you want but that's what it is.

They are in no way, shape or form in a position to do something like this and not lose out hand over fist. Something like a Killer Instinct, which is essentially free to play with options to break out of the limitations, is a good starting point to grow you customer base. Not a single player, one and done game that's probably cost a small fortune to make.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone here back any of the following kickstarters:
- Asylum edit: got this one, thanks faceless007
- Cryamore
- Night in the Woods
- La-Mulana 2

If so, can you send me text or screenshot versions of the most recent few updates (since December)? I track Kickstarter progress and would like to see how these projects are doing. Thanks.

Hektor

LXMwxGK.png

xcom2 mod support was a mistake

That got some good laughs out of me, thank you.

I expected as much.

Maniac

Banned
I'm sure Microsoft are happy with 100% off a couple of thousand customers compared to 70% from millions on all the other services they're skipping. Greed pure and simple, you can dress it up any other way you want but that's what it is.

They are in no way, shape or form in a position to do something like this and not lose out hand over fist. Something like a Killer Instinct, which is essentially free to play with options to break out of the limitations, is a good starting point to grow you customer base. Not a single player, one and done game that's probably cost a small fortune to make.

Aye. Idiotic, misdirected greed. One would imagine it may come to Steam if the sales are horrendous enough, though.

yuraya

To get people to use their store, they make 100% of the money there.

But why avoid a platform where millions of pc gamers have already bought remedy games? Why not release on both like Ubisoft does with Uplay?

Seems like they aren't in it for the money. They are just gonna piss off the Xbox fanbase for no reason.

Firehead

kO7xOJL.png
Deadpool hype getting to me. Actually considering getting that DP pack for Marvel Heroes. Been a while since I last played the game, though. How is it nowadays?

Not surprised by the QB news.

Had a whole afternoon to dedicate to gaming, now that's something that hasn't happened in a while. The funny thing is that you can barely make a dent in Yakuza 5 with that time.
Managed to finish RE0 though. Also made some progress in Uncharted 2 remastered, game still looks stunning.

Haunted

They're not bringing the game to the Windows 10 store instead of Steam to make the highest possible amount of money off of it.

They're trying to use it (and going to fail miserably, like they always have in the past) to make the Windows 10 store a legitimate alternative to Steam.

They're calculatedly leaving money on the table now to reap the rewards later, but that payoff will never come.

edit: I'm presupposing they're dumb, that's arrogant of me. If I give them some credit, this isn't about the store at all, just W10 in general. They probably know that the Windows 10 store is fucked and useless and will never catch on properly so they're accepting this smaller payout simply to drive W10 adoption.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Paladins Founders Pack -- MB-820F5E1D46E90739 - Taken by ThirtyFour. 3 entrants total.

t1455408030z1.png

Mivey

I really believe they are only thinking about this as a way of making their Windows Store more credible in the eyes of investors. The AppStore is one of the most profitable things about the iPhones for Apple, aside from the billions they make from hardware sales alone. MS is working on hardware sales with their Surface stuff, but they clearly want to have a more viable storefront as well. So they simply hire a few companies to port their XBone games to PC and voila! you have a few 60$ titles to sell on Windows 10.

I could see Steam "ports" a few years down the line, maybe by the devs themselves acting as publisher, but unlikely in this case since the IP is also owned by MS.

Knurek

You can't do that for Universal Apps.
You can't also use ReShade, Afterburner and/or Gameplay Time Tracker.

And of course, let's not forget the current situation for your GfWL purchases.
Well, I'll still buy it. There's another $.10 promotion coming, right, MS?

Phinor

I wouldnt be that mad/sad, if MS would have an own client like uPlay or Origin...

I wouldn't be hugely upset if their client/Store followed standards set by everyone else in the PC space in the past thirty years. It feels like one of those desperate attempts in the early 2000s to do something different like Starforce DRM (or rather, they are trying to follow and force Apple design on PC, lock it all down and try to give users as few options as possible).

But why avoid a platform where millions of pc gamers have already bought remedy games? Why not release on both like Ubisoft does with Uplay?

Seems like they aren't in it for the money. They are just gonna piss off the Xbox fanbase for no reason.

Gotta crack some eggs to make an omelet, if they put enough exclusive games people want on their store, people will eventually have to buy them if they want to play them.

I mean think about it, Quantom Break, Gears Ultimate, Killer Instinct and whatever else they have announced, if those were only W10 Store games I'm sure a lot of people will still buy them as they are hype games that can't be had anywhere else, and plus they're just ports, so I can't imagine it costs them a whole lot to make so they really aren't "losing" much if look at it that way.

I'm never buying a Windows 10 game if it's missing basic PC features lol.

That said I'll be getting Quantum Break for free since my friend is buying the Xbone version.

If the W10 store get's all their games specific problems sorted out (like the Tomb Raider stuff) then I don't see it as being any different from the Origin and Uplay, I'll still buy games there if I can get them cheap enough. Plus Xbox achievements and XBL integration (ie, party chat, friends list) are a nice bonus for some people.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Oh, the Windows Tablet App Store is getting products designed for desktop PCs now? Cool, get back to me in about five years if it hasn't been deleted or repurposed and I'll consider tying software purchases to it.

lol

Second time in a row that I agree with statements made by Evilore that I've seen.

Ozium

alan wake 2 can die in a fire now

quantum break too

sam lake has betrayed us

never forget this day.

how will gaming world cope?

xbox won

yuraya

Gotta crack some eggs to make an omelet, if they put enough exclusive games people want on their store, people will eventually have to buy them if they want to play them.

I mean think about it, Quantom Break, Gears Ultimate, Killer Instinct and whatever else they have announced, if those were only W10 Store games I'm sure a lot of people will still buy them as they are hype games that can't be had anywhere else, and plus they're just ports, so I can't imagine it costs them a whole lot to make so they really aren't "losing" much if look at it that way.

Microsoft isn't making any omelets man. They don't have the ip power to pull off a Battle.net or Origin. QB is the type of game people will beat in like 8 hours and return to their preferred platform. The only thing MS has that could really build a new client around is Halo. And even that is a question mark because Halo is nowhere near as popular as it once was. They should have gone the Ubi route. It would have been much smarter and safer. What they're doing now is very risky. Especially when you consider that QB is a new ip.

Microsoft isn't making any omelets man. They don't have the ip power to pull off a Battle.net or Origin. QB is the type of game people will beat in like 8 hours and return to their preferred platform. The only thing MS has that could really build a new client around is Halo. And even that is a question mark because Halo is nowhere near as popular as it once was. They should have gone the Ubi route. It would have been much smarter and safer. What they're doing now is very risky. Especially when you consider that QB is a new ip.

I don't know man, that's subjective, there are way more interesting MS franchises that I and I'm sure many others care about. They have to start somewhere, and an exclusive Quantom Break is a good start. They didn't just integrate the Xbox store into W10 and XB1 to not support it with games.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Some of ya'll are like horny teenagers that'll fuck couch cushions just to get your rocks off.

Some of us have standards.

According to the press I read, their aim is to have games use the MS cloud to sync your progress between versions. Add in that they're probably pretty dedicated to using the XBL API for all network stuff that a game may have and there are two reasons right there that MS will prefer to keep the game on their own storefront.

Also, I'm still not sure why anyone would get mad over QB having a PC port just like Gears of War Ultimate or Killer Instinct. If it's a multiplayer game, you have just added to the number of players for the game's community. (This is something a game like Titanfall would've benefited from, obviously, and games like Gears/KI/Halo/etc. should all benefit from the added playerbase.)

They're not bringing the game to the Windows 10 store instead of Steam to make the highest possible amount of money off of it.

They're trying to use it (and going to fail miserably, like they always have in the past) to make the Windows 10 store a legitimate alternative to Steam.

They're calculatedly leaving money on the table now to reap the rewards later, but that payoff will never come.

edit: I'm presupposing they're dumb, that's arrogant of me. If I give them some credit, this isn't about the store at all, just W10 in general. They probably know that the Windows 10 store is fucked and useless and will never catch on properly so they're accepting this smaller payout simply to drive W10 adoption.

I'm sure they're finding some way to integrate the xbox storefront with the windows 10 storefront for this. Hell, I never signed up for a "Live" ID using my email associated with my Xbox account, but I'm now able to login to the MS site using that ID and it knows when I go over to xbox.com that I'm corrosivefrost and brings up everything that applies to my ID.

I think their idea is to promote Windows 10 for gaming, ultimately. To get more people to adopt the platform if they haven't already. And putting PC games people want to play, PC games that people would have to buy an X1 and an XBL sub to play otherwise, on their unified (I'm assuming here) storefront seems to be a decent strategy to do so.

No chance I'll buy QB on the win10 appstore in its current state

I'm not sure you'll have to buy it through there... you could just buy it from xbox.com and you'll get it associated with your MS account. At least that's how it should work in theory, so when KI launches on PC, it's already tied to my MS account since I bought it on X1; I really can't see them emailing every owner of KI a code for the PC version to redeem on a different MS storefront.

I'm never buying a Windows 10 game if it's missing basic PC features lol.

That said I'll be getting Quantum Break for free since my friend is buying the Xbone version.

Good luck with that.

If it works anything like it logically should, hopefully your friend won't mind you signing in on his XBL account to download and play QB.

If the W10 store get's all their games specific problems sorted out (like the Tomb Raider stuff) then I don't see it as being any different from the Origin and Uplay, I'll still buy games there if I can get them cheap enough. Plus Xbox achievements and XBL integration (ie, party chat, friends list) are a nice bonus for some people.

Exactly.

I'm a lazy guy, so I'd have preferred having to only use one client but alas, playing the game is top priority, not using a client.

Yup. I'll wait for the Steam version to get a discount if it exists (talking to you, Ubisoft), but if it doesn't, I have no problem buying it for cheap on another client if it's the only way to get the game and I want to eventually play it (see: Origin).

Halo, Gears of War, Killer Instinct, Scalebound, Forza, Quantum Break, Rare Replay, etc.
Once they get the games on PC, people who don't want to shell out for an X1 and an XBLA sub will buy them there if they want to play them. Just as people did for ME3, Dead Space 3, DA:I, Battlefield, etc. on PC when it came to being Origin only.

You're looking at it as a single game launching the service and needing immediate RoI. Hasn't the XSEED Trails SC talk in here taught you anything about sales mattering more over the long term, especially if you don't need the profit immediately to keep your business running? ;)

Is there a SF beta going if you buy it?

No beta at the moment, only people with review copies are playing now, but then again the game is out in less than 3 days.
So if you haven't picked it up already, and don't care about the Chun-Li pre-order bonus costume, then you might as well wait and see if Capcom somehow manages to screw up the launch before you put down your money.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Disc Jam -- MB-BC17590730822265 - Taken by rainking187

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom