• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ucchedavāda;195218291 said:
That's fantastic news.
Fingers crossed that Okami is among those.

There's a blog post on Capcom's site, published circa the release of RE4 HD, that initially included a slider comparison of Okami SD versus Okami HD -- it was quietly removed from said post some days later. Granted, this was yonks ago now, but take from what you will. ;)

There's a blog post on Capcom's site, published circa the release of RE4 HD, that initially included a slider comparison of Okami SD versus Okami HD -- it was quietly removed from said post some days later. Granted, this was yonks ago now, but take from what you will. ;)

I'll gladly grasp at any straws you can offer me. ;)

Tizoc

Inhave just finishes skimming thru all 34 pages of that greenberg thread ob my phone during my free time at work
For reals i did skim thru all the pages
I suck at copy pastaing on my phone but allow me to post my thoughts on that thread as such-
S6HAKVZ.gif

Nillansan

Inhave just finishes skimming thru all 34 pages of that greenberg thread ob my phone during my free time at work
For reals i didnskim thru all the pages
I suck at copy pastaing on my phone but allow me to post my thoughts on that thread as such-
MJacksonPopcorn.gif

You're actually enjoying it? It gave me a headache.

fantomena

Finished Firewatch.

It was really sort, but I really liked the story and the ending. It was humane, no bullshit, no supernatural crap, just about flawed humans.

The design and the graphic style used was fantastic.

AHA-Lambda

Finished Dying Light DLC last night, strangely enjoyed it more than the main game :)
Also liked the bleakness of the end

Now onto Shadowrun Hong Kong's DLC.
So many games....

PS: My eye is healing rather nicely it seems *phew*
It's less Resi Rev 2 and now more jaundice colour :p

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Starwolf_UK, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Starwolf_UK, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Canabalt -- MB-F64C8AB36E95A58D - Taken by Purkake4. 10 entrants total.

t1455456452z1.png

fantomena

The name of the SFV season pass "Street Fighter V 2016 Season Pass" make it sound like there's gonna be a second season pass, but for 2017.

Jawmuncher

One person asked for Dino Crisis while I was away. I thought we were United in this SteamGAF. Now I know you all just want the series further buried.

The name of the SFV season pass "Street Fighter V 2016 Season Pass" make it sound like there's gonna be a second season pass, but for 2017.

No way in hell Capcom is not going to make a seasons pass per season, if they end up having several seasons of DLC characters. The only question is whether or not they'll actually have a second season, and I expect that ultimately depends on how succesful SFV is during its first year. No matter what plans Ono has for long-term support (which I was happy to hear about), he probably wont be able get the funds from the higher-ups unless the game is actually making Capcom money.

AHA-Lambda

Just saw a cinema ad for Battleborn, haven't heard from that in a while!

Man it looks bad, thought it was a Ratchet and Clank ad at first :/

Ucchedavāda;195222371 said:
No way in hell Capcom is not going to make a seasons pass per season, if they end up having several seasons of DLC characters. The only question is whether or not they'll actually have a second season, and I expect that ultimately depends on how succesful SFV is during its first year. No matter what plans Ono has for long-term support (which I was happy to hear about), he probably wont be able get the funds from the higher-ups unless the game is actually making Capcom money.

I think it's highly unlikely that they'll stop supporting the game after a year. The only way that happens is if it's a catastrophic sales failure and that isn't likely at all. It makes sense that they'll keep doing season passes since they've said there won't be an SSFV or USFV in the future. How else do they keep making money on the game if not by selling characters/costumes as DLC?

In other news, here's what seems to be a (Youtube compressed) screenshot of Danganronpa on PC.

Video probably breaks embargo. Found it on Twitter. I would strongly recommend not watching the video because it has spoilers in the first 3 seconds.

The dialogue UI scaling seems a bit off to me.

Just saw a cinema ad for Battleborn, haven't heard from that in a while!

Man it looks bad, thought it was a Ratchet and Clank ad at first :/

I can only wonder what the mood is at Gearbox. On the one hand it seems like absolutely nobody cares about this game. But then on the other hand this studio has built an absolutely massive franchise (Borderlands) out of nothing. I wonder if they think they will do it again.

I can only wonder what the mood is at Gearbox. On the one hand it seems like absolutely nobody cares about this game. But then on the other hand this studio has built an absolutely massive franchise (Borderlands) out of nothing. I wonder if they think they will do it again.

The difference is that BL didn't have anything competing with it back then. This time though they're launching only a month before Overwatch, and even though gameplay wise they're not exactly the same, in people's eyes that doesn't stop seeing them as competitors and so far BB is seen as the pale competitor.

Destiny could also be seen as a BL competitor now, so I wonder how BL3 will fare.

Parsnip

Amyone have a xbone controller? If so how's the dpad on it compared to the shitstain that was the 360 dpad?

Ive actually been needing a new pad for awhile, the one on mine has a bad left stick, so if the dpad is good ill just get one of those and use it for my fighters aswell

It's definitely better but kind of loud and clicky, if that bothers you. But it also doesn't have 6 face buttons so I don't know why anyone would want to use it for fighters. I grabbed one of those new Hori Fighting Commanders for myself for when I eventually get SF5.
Waiting for that Ibuki drop.

Found this interesting blog post on reddit where an indie game dev talks about the difficulty in getting people and the press to pay attention to new games releasing these days. He already has a game released on Steam and a second one almost ready to release there too. Before putting it on Steam, he decided to experiment by selling it direct from his website to see how sales would go. Predictably, it did not go well, and it leads him to this conclusion...

Mostly, as I already suspected analyzing our day-to-day numbers, it seems that your game doesn’t exists unless it’s on Steam.

I admit I don’t like it. If a somewhat established indie, with a clearly defined audience and some following, can’t generate enough traffic to live from direct sales alone, this means we’re no longer independent developers, we’re Steam developers.

It's a matter of fact observation rather than one made out of bitterness. It's an interesting article worth reading on a slow Sunday.

His older game on Steam is called Cinders.

Jawmuncher

Found this interesting blog post on reddit where an indie game dev talks about the difficulty in getting people and the press to pay attention to new games releasing these days. He already has a game released on Steam and a second one almost ready to release there too. Before putting it on Steam, he decided to experiment by selling it direct from his website to see how sales would go. Predictably, it did not go well, and it leads him to this conclusion...

It's a matter of fact observation rather than one made out of bitterness. It's an interesting article worth reading on a slow Sunday.

Yeah that really is the problem with steam. We all like it but it has no real competition. So unless you're some anomaly like Minecraft, you more or less aren't going to get much in sales unless you're on steam. Dunno how it could be fixed though. People like having all of their stuff in one place, and to be fair a lot of the "PC gaming is dead talk" ages ago was because games were all over the place with no real way to consolidate.

These days it seems that your best bet as an indie is to associate with a label such as Devolver Digital. I wonder how big their cut is, probably around 20-30%?

Pachimari

Who here is going to play Street Fighter V? I just want to know who I should add come launch time. And it isn't Steam/PSN ID's we need to add, it's our CFN names right?

Yep, we'll have both kinds. ;)

Internal dev teams in Japan are obviously busy with mainline titles which take time, resources, and manpower. The last item is always the biggest bottleneck in new games development as there's only a finite number of developers/designers available. That's the 'opportunity cost' we work with, so we ensure top internal dev resources are assigned to the most impactful titles (big new IP and/or sequels) while our external dev partners help fill the gap. These include HD ports and remasters and the occasional new IP.

TL;DR...we'll have more of your favorite Capcom HD ports heading your way. Naturally I won't be able to answer which ones so don't ask :)

Aaaaaaaaaah.
Okay okay, if you want to make me the happiest Capcom fan, he's my personnal list:
-Okami
-Ace Attorney Trilogy
-Asura's Wrath
-God Hand

and... my personnal favorite... Ghost Trick !!

tuxfool

Banned
Rise of the Tomb Raider won an award for outstanding writing by the Writer's Guild of America.

CbJWH_MVAAAV35E.jpg

I... Huh.

I nominate them for a WTF award.

For reference:
Outstanding Achievement In Videogame Writing

2010: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Amy Hennig
2011: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Patrice Desliets, Jeffrey Yohalem, Corey May
2012: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - Amy Hennig
2013: Assassin's Creed III: Liberation - Richard Farrese, Jill Murray
2014: The Last of Us - Neil Druckmann
2015: The Last of Us: Left Behind - Neil Druckmann
2016: Rise of the Tomb Raider - John Stafford, Cameron Suey, Rhianna Pratchett, Philip Gelatt

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
What else was there? Could be a case of Actual Guild Writers on games was low last year.

I'm not sure what games the Guild reviewed for it, though it is composed of thousands of people. But it just seems odd, there were even bigger games that released within the last year that I think many would make the argument of having better writing. And a lot of niche indie stuff with excellent writing, but that would be out of the public eye I would imagine.

Jawmuncher

Oh interesting. Yeah having played everything but ACS, RoTR is the weakest one there. Still at least it was a big improvement over the first game.

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN VIDEOGAME WRITING

• Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, Story by Marc-Alexis Cote, Hugo Giard, Corey May, Jeffrey Yohalem; Narrative Director Corey May; Lead Writer Jeffrey Yohalem; Assistant Narrative Director Melissa MacCoubrey; Scriptwriters Richard Farrese, Russell Lees, Mark Llabres Hill, James Nadiger, Jared Schincariol, Travis Stout, Ceri Young; Additional Writing Judith Flanders, C.J. Kershner, Gabrielle Shrager, Danny Wallace; Additional Senior Writer Paul Monk; Ubisoft
• Pillars of Eternity, Lead Writer Eric Fenstermaker; Writers Carrie Patel, Olivia Veras; Additional Writing Chris Avellone, Jeff Husges, Matt MacLean, Jorge Salgado, Josh Sawyer, George Ziets; Obsidian Entertainment
• Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lead Narrative Designer John Stafford; Narrative Designer Cameron Suey; Lead Writer Rhianna Pratchett; Additional Writer Philip Gelatt; Microsoft WINNER
• The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Lead Writer Marcin Blacha; Lead English Writer Borys Pugacz-Muraszkiewicz; Writers Arkadiusz Borowik, Aleksandra Motyka, Bartosz Ochman, Karolina Stachyra, Jakub Szamalek; Additional Writers Marcin Batylda, Michal Galek, Tomasz Marchewka, Robert Oglodzinski, Rafal Praszalek, Artur Sliwinski, Stanislaw Swiecicki, Pawel Zych; Story Marcin Blacha, Jakub Szamalek; CD Projekt RED

I'm not sure what games the Guild reviewed for it, though it is composed of thousands of people. But it just seems odd, there were even bigger games that released within the last year that I think many would make the argument of having better writing. And a lot of niche indie stuff with excellent writing, but that would be out of the public eye I would imagine.

The writers (or at least the main writer I recall) have to be part of the Guild for the award nomination. So something like Undertale or other indies wouldn't be there unless they actually went through the process of getting in to that. I would say that any western AAA release writer is probably part of the guild though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom