• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I mean, the PC port wasn't terrible, i think it was mostly the base game that was not very good to begin with. The engine was terrible, and the levels were just endless corridors that didn't make architectural sence.

The game is rough, it was really rushed to get it released alongside the movie. It's more or less a beta version released to retail.

Looking at the past winners, I get the impression that the WGA were judging these games using screenwriting standards (they are, after all, mostly a union of TV and film writers). Rise of the Tomb Raider is indeed the most cinematic out of the nominations.

Copons

K8GpZNM.jpg

Took me 25 hours, it felt good, I liked it and thanks Bernardo for all the fish

Just finished firewatch, it was a fun experience and quite beautiful. It took me 3.5 hours to beat and I tried to explore. Overall I would recommend it at $10.

50 CENT BLOOD ON THE SAND HAS TIME STOP (well slow really, but 50 Cent stopping time sounds a lot cooler)

Not a very encouraging first impression.

Typical Tizoc.

But you inadvertently did something good here in mentioning one of the most underrated games of last gen. This game would be a day 1 purchase for me on Steam, particularly if they took the x360 version and just added a few graphics options and put in steamworks with steam achievements.

Where's mah skull?

Wasn't an award from Writer's Guild of America suppose to be a huge deal?

Considering the rest of the winners, the only one that really jumped out at me as being exemplary was TLoU. Games have such mediocre writing that there isn't usually a lot to choose from.

Seeing all this furor over the RotTR award makes me wish something really hated around these parts, like Fallout 4, had won.

CFN names yeah. It'll be best to compile a list come launch day. I had UzzySF for the beta, got to love the 6 character minimum.

The WGA fell and smacked their head, leading to a concussion. That's the only explanation for this. Like, seriously, how the hell is ROTR better than SOMA, Witcher 3, Cibele, Life is Strange, Pillars? How is it even mentioned in the same breath?

Well, I haven't played most of the games in that list yet, but LiS wasn't really good. Average at best is more like it.

As for the CFN stuff, does your name in the beta (any beta) carry over to the retail version with just your stats reset? Or do you have to re-register?

Lomax

Found this interesting blog post on reddit where an indie game dev talks about the difficulty in getting people and the press to pay attention to new games releasing these days. He already has a game released on Steam and a second one almost ready to release there too. Before putting it on Steam, he decided to experiment by selling it direct from his website to see how sales would go. Predictably, it did not go well, and it leads him to this conclusion...

It's a matter of fact observation rather than one made out of bitterness. It's an interesting article worth reading on a slow Sunday.

His older game on Steam is called Cinders.

An interesting and well written article. Reminds me I still need to play Cinders. I disagree with his conclusion though, being independent doesn't mean you don't use a distribution service. He's still self publishing on steam. He'd probably have had better success selling steam keys on his Web site instead of paying for bandwidth. But he seems smart enough to learn that eventually.

Uzzy

As for the CFN stuff, does your name in the beta (any beta) carry over to the retail version with just your stats reset? Or do you have to re-register?

No. You'll have to re-register. Even people who have gotten the game early will have to re-register come launch day.

Wbacon said:
That is correct. We're essentially doing a full server side reset almost every day as we head towards the official launch date. We'll do what we can to level the playing field, and that means...

- FighterID will need to be re-aquired/re-registered
- Fight Money will be zero'd out
- League Points and Online Rank will be reset
- Player Level will be reset
- Per-character Level and EXP will be reset
- Rank/Casual Match fight history will be reset

Looks like SteamOS support for SFV is some time off:
SteamOS Status Update

Attention Steam users and Street Fighter V players! Our development team is working closely with Valve engineers to bring the full Street Fighter V experience onto the SteamOS platform.

This will be a free update to all Street Fighter V Steam players and will be released this Spring. More news will be shared soon, so stay tuned.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/310950/announcements/detail/857177755595160250

Should have been expected as much. Linux stuff is usually on the back burner for the bigger titles.

Yep. Regardless, I am just happy that they are even supporting SteamOS, since I dual-boot Linux and Windows. In fact, I mostly played USFIV through WINE, but I did not expect that SFV would be running through that any time soon, and I've also gotten tired of all the jank involved with using WINE.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Did I just win Undertale

Is this real life

Se7en, you're awesome. Happy birthday dude.

Also happy Valentine's day/Singles awareness day everybody.

Tizoc

Well that's lame :/ That means I'd need to do All Survival and Story modes again.
The latter isn't an issue but eh Survival on Easy ain't that a big deal.

Also I was incorrect, damage scaling after a stun doesn't reset in SF5 :V

Was your first consoles the PS3 or something?

Nope, Uncharted was my first foray into such a genre, and I never played Max Payne series before.

They should have bundled sf5 with a graphics card so i could grt the pc version for myself, guess ill just stick with the ps4 version for my brother can play with his pals. Digital of course so we can both play at the same time

yuraya

12.4 million peak for Steam today.

So probably like 13 million during Summer sale?

14 million during Winter?

That is a lot of people that could have potentially bought Quantum Break. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Anteater

12.4 million peak for Steam today.

So probably like 13 million during Summer sale?

14 million during Winter?

That is a lot of people that could have potentially bought Quantum Break. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

probably just a bunch of grandmas idling

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Found this interesting blog post on reddit where an indie game dev talks about the difficulty in getting people and the press to pay attention to new games releasing these days. He already has a game released on Steam and a second one almost ready to release there too. Before putting it on Steam, he decided to experiment by selling it direct from his website to see how sales would go. Predictably, it did not go well, and it leads him to this conclusion...

It's a matter of fact observation rather than one made out of bitterness. It's an interesting article worth reading on a slow Sunday.

His older game on Steam is called Cinders.

Cinders is cool for what it is. I'm not sure I would have paid anything resembling full price for it, but it was fun for a plane ride. It's possible that it's just not sustainable anymore, despite his encouraging early sales numbers. Thousands and thousands of teams are releasing relatively professional games a year, and people don't have any more money than they used to. Even if more of their overall entertainment budget goes to games, there's not going to be enough money for everyone to make a profit. And no individual developer wants to be the one that gives up on making games because the market is too crowded. A real tragedy of the commons.

Turfster

Daily LA Noire 80% off
Valentine's Day sale Make war not love 3 (sort of weeklong for CoH2, Dawn of War 2 & Total War Master & Attila) 75% off

http://steamspy.com/

Firewatch is selling well. Close to doubling Witness' numbers (at half the price of course). ATS also made ~200k.

According to one of the developers, the game is doing much better than they expected on Steam, which is great to hear (and the game is still #2 on the top-sellers list):
Not in my wildest fucking dreams would I ever thought Firewatch would ever be at Steam #2, let alone 4th day post launch. Thank you so much
https://twitter.com/thatJaneNg/status/698266107652632579

The best thing about Firewatch doing well is that, hey, Campo Santo won't have to die, we can keep going, creating & doing what we love. <3
https://twitter.com/thatJaneNg/status/698268863167737857

Lomax

I haven't followed Firewatch at all, but until recently I had an image of a procedurally generated open world forest fire fighting game with a story line, and I think I'll always be a little bit disappointed that's not what it is.

Does the PC version suffer from technical hiccups like the console one ? Just barely followed that game or other new releases as I'm really broke at the moment, but I'm curious.

I think it still has performance problems, but not anywhere near as bad as the PS4 version, the shit just seems straight up broke.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does the PC version suffer from technical hiccups like the console one ? Just barely followed that game or other new releases as I'm really broke at the moment, but I'm curious.

The real-time shadow draw distance is low to the point of being distracting, but it's being worked on.

Good to them, but it's still a shame the game itself was a bit of a letdown.
I loved it, but I can see why some were let down by the ending.
And I do kinda want to see where Campo Santo would go similar narrative game, but one less grounded in reality.

alan wake sucks
Alan Wake blew my god damn mind .. but I'll meet you at the middle and concede that American Nightmare sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom