• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

-MD-

Rise of the Tomb Raider won an award for outstanding writing by the Writer's Guild of America.

CbJWH_MVAAAV35E.jpg

I... Huh.

Hilarious and sad at the same time.

AHA-Lambda

Oh interesting. Yeah having played everything but ACS, RoTR is the weakest one there. Still at least it was a big improvement over the first game.

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN VIDEOGAME WRITING

• Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, Story by Marc-Alexis Cote, Hugo Giard, Corey May, Jeffrey Yohalem; Narrative Director Corey May; Lead Writer Jeffrey Yohalem; Assistant Narrative Director Melissa MacCoubrey; Scriptwriters Richard Farrese, Russell Lees, Mark Llabres Hill, James Nadiger, Jared Schincariol, Travis Stout, Ceri Young; Additional Writing Judith Flanders, C.J. Kershner, Gabrielle Shrager, Danny Wallace; Additional Senior Writer Paul Monk; Ubisoft
• Pillars of Eternity, Lead Writer Eric Fenstermaker; Writers Carrie Patel, Olivia Veras; Additional Writing Chris Avellone, Jeff Husges, Matt MacLean, Jorge Salgado, Josh Sawyer, George Ziets; Obsidian Entertainment
• Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lead Narrative Designer John Stafford; Narrative Designer Cameron Suey; Lead Writer Rhianna Pratchett; Additional Writer Philip Gelatt; Microsoft WINNER
• The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Lead Writer Marcin Blacha; Lead English Writer Borys Pugacz-Muraszkiewicz; Writers Arkadiusz Borowik, Aleksandra Motyka, Bartosz Ochman, Karolina Stachyra, Jakub Szamalek; Additional Writers Marcin Batylda, Michal Galek, Tomasz Marchewka, Robert Oglodzinski, Rafal Praszalek, Artur Sliwinski, Stanislaw Swiecicki, Pawel Zych; Story Marcin Blacha, Jakub Szamalek; CD Projekt RED

The writers (or at least the main writer I recall) have to be part of the Guild for the award nomination. So something like Undertale or other indies wouldn't be there unless they actually went through the process of getting in to that. I would say that any western AAA release writer is probably part of the guild though.

maxresdefault.jpg

AHA-Lambda

That's hilarious. But considering the other nominees which don't have top notch stories either to my knowledge...

ROTTER- which is basically a bad retread of UC2, and still filled with psycho bitch "I'll take all you bastards on" Lara- is better than W3 or PoE?

kZsGbOc.gif

Forget the other nominees, most games last year had better writing than TR. Fucking embarrassing.

Tizoc

So messing around in SF5's training mode, on average combos into super deal something like 450 points of damage on average (a health bar averages at 1000 points)
It is possible to deal 350+ damage with 1 ex move in a combo
This excludes use of V-Trigger or V-special moves of course, but with how damage scaling works in this game, you really want to figure out when an EX move is worth using as a combo ender in long combos, for example:
Regular Ken's HP Shoryuken does 140 dmg, EX does 160 dmg, so if anything can combo into HP SRK, the extra meter may not be worth it.

Correct me if I'm wrong btw, I'm stil open to learning more about the game still :p

Uzzy

Who here is going to play Street Fighter V? I just want to know who I should add come launch time. And it isn't Steam/PSN ID's we need to add, it's our CFN names right?

CFN names yeah. It'll be best to compile a list come launch day. I had UzzySF for the beta, got to love the 6 character minimum.

Rise of the Tomb Raider won an award for outstanding writing by the Writer's Guild of America.

The WGA fell and smacked their head, leading to a concussion. That's the only explanation for this. Like, seriously, how the hell is ROTR better than SOMA, Witcher 3, Cibele, Life is Strange, Pillars? How is it even mentioned in the same breath?

Tizoc

I have JUST now seen actual gameplay footage of Quantum Break
It's fucking Uncharted clone.
So you can stop or slow time, big frigign' whoop, all you use it for is to fire a bloody gun. I've prob. played games, not necessarily better, that had this feature.
Frag's sake
50 CENT BLOOD ON THE SAND HAS TIME STOP (well slow really, but 50 Cent stopping time sounds a lot cooler)

Not a very encouraging first impression.

Wok

So I decided to start Reversi again to see if the bugs experienced in March last year were fixed.

I remember I wanted to refund the game but could not, despite the purchase being less than 2 weeks old and the playtime being less than 1 hour long, because the purchase was initially a gift.

The game runs more smoothly, there are no obvious bugs, I even have people on my friend list who have played the game (or idled for cards? most likely based on their playtime). The difficulty spike has been toned down too: the AI in medium level used to be unbeatable, and today, I could beat it due to obvious mistakes made by the AI ; plus the AI in hard level beat me but not decisively.

The only problems that I have with the game are:
- the sound effects are awful, I have to mute them,
- there is literally nobody to play against, despite the game being discounted in previous sales,
- the reviews are super dubious for the games of the devs: Hive (very positive), Reversi (mostly positive), Khet (very positive), and Simply Chess (mixed reviews, maybe because the game is F2P so reviews are less rigged),
- I still cannot believe the refund was declined.

I have played both Hive and Reversi and both were really underwhelming.

Also the game tries to increase the playtime by closing the exe without closing "in the Steam account":

SFBXZKq.png

Here, the game is closed, I can try to play it again, I can even launch other games, but Steam considers that I am still playing Reversi... I had to close Steam with the task manager to make it stop. The devs are seriously dubious there.

Nzyme32

Personally I wouldn't bother. You've seen the best the game has to offer.

MGSV plot was so good you can take out an entire chapter and still the game makes sense :)

Yeah I think everyone has told me the same thing, but at the same time I want to see for myself, even if it destroys how good the rest of it was. However, knowing how crap it is, it just isn't even a priority for me to complete right now. I'm actually itching to go through the game from scratch a bit more.

Ludens

Banned
So you can stop or slow time, big frigign' whoop, all you use it for is to fire a bloody gun. I've prob. played games, not necessarily better, that had this feature.
Frag's sake
50 CENT BLOOD ON THE SAND HAS TIME STOP (well slow really, but 50 Cent stopping time sounds a lot cooler)

It's just a common tps with some random time manipulation added, honestly.
I think the "added value" comes from the actor they hired and the fact cutscenes are more movie segments...well, this if you like movies.

Bl@de

RotTR won over Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity? Ehhh ... What?

1353.gif

Let me guess. Call of Duty will win next year over Torment?

Frag's sake

Not sure what you expected to be honest lol.

Annubis

Frag's sake

Dead Space has time slow + gun.

Frag's sake

I'd take a remaster of this. *shrug*
256px-Pathofneobox.jpg

I mean this is a new game by the same devs who made a TPS franchise (well before UC) that used bullet time. Of course they'd experiment with time manipulation later on. That was a dumb comment. Fear had an incredibely drab art and monotone environment. If people just looked at the surface they could say "this looks like a boring shooter with bullet time whoop". That didn't stop it from having GOAT tier gunplay.

Tizoc

Not sure what you expected to be honest lol.

For some reason I expected an Adventure game ala Heavy Rain and Beyond :V

I don't think Tizoc meant it is an exact Uncharted clone.

At least I hope not.

Eh Uncharted was the first game to come to mind when I saw it. It wasn't trying to be anything different, just use the tried and true Cover shooter formula.

I mean this is a new game by the same devs who made a TPS franchise (well before UC) that used bullet time. Of course they'd experiment with time manipulation later on. That was a dumb comment. Fear had an incredibely drab art and monotone environment. If people just looked at the surface they could say "this looks like a boring shooter with bullet time whoop". That didn't stop it from having GOAT tier gunplay.

Dunno if I've ever played any of their games before TBH :X

Jawmuncher

Path of Neo got pretty fucking dumb later on. Mainly that area where you fight ant people.

I remember reading PCGamer back in the day and the review mentioning that the port was pretty bad. Like the controller menu still listed the PS2 controller.

CFN names yeah. It'll be best to compile a list come launch day. I had UzzySF for the beta, got to love the 6 character minimum.

I forgot what I had on PS4 Beta. Guess I gotta decide on what to use.
Oh MINIMUM, so I don't need to change anything.

Phawx

I know everyone is shitting on the Windows Store (and it does suck for actually listing or interacting with) But I bought a shit ton of mobile games for 10 cents a piece and also got RotTR for $9~

Windows Universal apps are a weird quagmire. However, I will say this, Disney Infinity is actually usable on a 4k monitor as a Universal App. As it seems to be running in a borderless window. The *official* version of Disney Infinity app doesn't support windowed mode and doesn't support 4k.

Also I know this isn't Steam related but I just passed 1k subs on YouTube. I realize that it really shouldn't be anything to celebrate about, but it is a milestone I never actually thought I'd cross.

Path of Neo got pretty fucking dumb later on. Mainly that area where you fight ant people.

I remember reading PCGamer back in the day and the review mentioning that the port was pretty bad. Like the controller menu still listed the PS2 controller.

Path of Neo was the Jet Force Gemini sequel in disguise?

Jawmuncher

I actually liked Enter the Matrix. It was a game held together with duct tape, but you could still get some fun out of it. More so on Xbox and GC where the performance was better. The FMVs shot just for the game, and the hacker net you could use for a teaser of Revelations was cool too. I'm sure the PC port for that was really bad since they probably never bothered to patch it. Still wonder how things would have went if Bungie had made a Matrix game. Which was apparently offered before the first movie came out.

I still wonder why WB hasn't tried to do something new with the Matrix. I don't think The Wachowski's own it, so they could easily do some stories before the movies like we saw with The Animatrix.
Though I guess a Prequel or side story never brings in the hype like a new entry does.

ROTTER- which is basically a bad retread of UC2, and still filled with psycho bitch "I'll take all you bastards on" Lara- is better than W3 or PoE?

Forget the other nominees, most games last year had better writing than TR. Fucking embarrassing.

It's nothing like Uncharted 2. Never understood why you made that reference to begin with.

And the story, for what it is, is leaps and bounds better than Uncharted 2 on every level. The only spot it lacks is the type of relationship between Sully/Drake doesn't really have an equivalent. Then again, Lara isn't really written in a tone that's anything like Nathan Drake. The main similarity is the gameplay being similar though Uncharted is more clearly a Gears-esque cover-based TPS while RotTR doesn't really focus on cover as much.

Story spoilers for overall plots of Uncharted, Uncharted 2, and RotTR:
Uncharted 2 deals with stealing an artifact and eventually opening a portal to another dimension where an addictive drug has turned humans into roidrage afflicted smurfs.

RotTR deals with chasing a myth/legend that ruined Lara's fathers reputation and lead to his suicide. That myth is true and has to do with what comes down to a man who was made immortal by something unnatural and protecting that artifact from falling into the hands of the wrong people.

Truth be told it's probably closer to the original Uncharted, since in that Drake was chasing a myth nobody believed in and found an artifact that cursed people and turned them undead-like.

Jawmuncher

I still think it would be pretty cool if these Adventurer games played it straight. Then again that ends up meaning all you're gonna be killing are Mercs and Animals. Or would actually have to explore and not fight often.

gabbo

I actually liked Enter the Matrix. It was a game held together with duct tape, but you could still get some fun out of it. More so on Xbox and GC where the performance was better. I'm sure the PC port for that was really bad as well. Still wonder how things would have went if Bungie had made a Matrix game. Which was apparently offered before the first movie came out.

I mean, the PC port wasn't terrible, i think it was mostly the base game that was not very good to begin with. The engine was terrible, and the levels were just endless corridors that didn't make architectural sence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom