• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Tomb Raider I -- MB-CEC3E8A457C8E461 - Taken by gurm3n
Tomb Raider II -- MB-E83D8C9DCC5D1133
Tomb Raider III -- MB-8584CC26946D6ACB

Wok

I had the Humble Original games in mind, like "The Elephant in the Room" from this months Humble Bundle.

btw.
6rvWNTv.png

Ah, yes, ok. I did not get it. It makes sense.

So you woke up today and decided to do something that MS never thought you'd try: to add your Win10 apps to Steam. Well, you'll discover damn near instantly that this shit isn't simple. Steam will keep farting out catastrophic failure one after the other until you decide that this minute or two of your life has been thoroughly wasted. Well, buddy, have I got good news for you! If you have another few minutes of your time still free and aren't already fucking up puzzles in The Witness or walking around with a confiscated stereo in Firewatch then I've got a guide that should take care of you just fine.

First, a couple of notes. I could be totally wrong about the following and truthfully I haven't fucked around with this Win10 stuff for these things to be definitive but i'll post the following anyhow to avoid having to answer any questions:
  • Win10 apps do not play well with BPM. As a matter of fact, BPM seems useless with Win10 stuff
  • This also includes everyone's favorite customizable pad, the Steam Controller. Win10 apps AFAIK can only detect it in its very basic mode. Configs do not appear to work
  • Last, and again AFAIK, Win10 apps all open in windowed mode. You can set them to fullscreen by hitting a icon on the taskbar. If there's a way to force fullscreen then cool, i honestly haven't looked into it.

So, now that all that has been taken care of: Let's get to work! Before we do, i'd like to credit this guide and this guide from which i will pull bits from to cobble this thing together. They deserve a majority of the credit for this, i'm just putting it together and like adding another 5-10% of my own tips. I'll be pulling from them verbatim in parts from here on out because i'm lazy...

So first things first, let's create the bat to exe conversion tool. Open up Notepad and paste the following code:
Code:
 ;@echo off
; rem https://github.com/npocmaka/batch.scripts/edit/master/hybrids/iexpress/bat2exeIEXP.bat
;if "%~2" equ "" (
; echo usage: %~nx0 batFile.bat target.Exe
;)
;set "target.exe=%__cd__%%~2"
;set "batch_file=%~f1"
;set "bat_name=%~nx1"
;set "bat_dir=%~dp1"

;copy /y "%~f0" "%temp%\2exe.sed" >nul

;(echo()>>"%temp%\2exe.sed"
;(echo(AppLaunched=cmd.exe /c "%bat_name%")>>"%temp%\2exe.sed"
;(echo(TargetName=%target.exe%)>>"%temp%\2exe.sed"
;(echo(FILE0="%bat_name%")>>"%temp%\2exe.sed"
;(echo([SourceFiles])>>"%temp%\2exe.sed"
;(echo(SourceFiles0=%bat_dir%)>>"%temp%\2exe.sed"
;(echo([SourceFiles0])>>"%temp%\2exe.sed"
;(echo(%%FILE0%%=)>>"%temp%\2exe.sed"

;iexpress /n /q /m %temp%\2exe.sed

;del /q /f "%temp%\2exe.sed"
;exit /b 0

[Version]
Class=IEXPRESS
SEDVersion=3
[Options]
PackagePurpose=InstallApp
ShowInstallProgramWindow=0
HideExtractAnimation=1
UseLongFileName=1
InsideCompressed=0
CAB_FixedSize=0
CAB_ResvCodeSigning=0
RebootMode=N
InstallPrompt=%InstallPrompt%
DisplayLicense=%DisplayLicense%
FinishMessage=%FinishMessage%
TargetName=%TargetName%
FriendlyName=%FriendlyName%
AppLaunched=%AppLaunched%
PostInstallCmd=%PostInstallCmd%
AdminQuietInstCmd=%AdminQuietInstCmd%
UserQuietInstCmd=%UserQuietInstCmd%
SourceFiles=SourceFiles

[Strings]
InstallPrompt=
DisplayLicense=
FinishMessage=
FriendlyName=-
PostInstallCmd=<None>
AdminQuietInstCmd=
UserQuietInstCmd=

Now save that file as "bat2exe.bat" please make sure you use the quotes so that it saves as a bat file, not as a txt file.

Next, let's create a bat file that opens your windows app. To do this, open notepad and type "start " followed by the name of the app you're trying to start. The name is not always obvious, so follow these steps to figure out what your Win10 app is actually called. There might be a faster and better way of doing this but meh.

• Hit Start and select Settings. Then, select the following
  • System
  • Default apps
  • Choose default apps by protocol
It should look like this:
IJxphGy.png

Then, you should see the following:

So, what you want is whatever is in the first line of your app under "Name". So in this case, if for some godforsaken reason you wanted to add Windows Media Player, its Name is DNLA-PLAYSINGLE.

Now that we have the name of the app (we'll keep using the WMP name for the rest of this guide) we need to create another bat file. Here's what you would type:

Code:
Start DNLA-PLAYSINGLE:

Super important that you add the : at the end or else this won't work! Now, save this file as WinApp.bat (no spaces in the name!) and remember the quotes around it again so you don't end up with a txt. Put this in the same folder as your bat2exe file. If you want to test it out, go ahead and double-click your bat to make sure the app you wanted to launch actually launches.

Now we need to open a command prompt. You can do this by pressing start and typing "cmd". Open the command prompt and navigate to where you saved your bat files. For most, that's the desktop:

Code:
cd C:\Users\shortsFortallPeople
\Desktop\

now your command prompt should be pointed at that location, so you can put the following:

Code:
bat2exe.bat WinApp.bat WinApp.exe

This will create a new exe named "WinApp.exe" that executes the code from your bat file, "WinApp.bat". Now, if you fucked up somewhere, you'll still get a file spit out BUT it won't be an exe file. That file won't work! Make sure to follow all the steps until an exe file is produced!

There you go! Now you have an exe that will launch your windows app. You can add that to steam just like any other exe (game>add a non steam game to your library>browse...).

See, that wasn't so bad, right? Right?!?!

Besides the fact that we, in theory, never run out of stock for a digital marketplace is an inherent positive for distributors and consumers, why change that?
Games aren't just about business. My proposition is about changing the way we consume games from being a disposable product to a once in a life time event. You can't go to some arcades and play many online games because they have fallen into disrepair, been discontinued or snapped up by collectors. If you don't get it here you won't get it anywhere.

So you woke up today and decided to do something that MS never thought you'd try: to add your Win10 apps to Steam. Well, you'll discover damn near instantly that this shit isn't simple. Steam will keep farting out catastrophic failure one after the other until you decide that this minute or two of your life has been thoroughly wasted. Well, buddy, have I got good news for you! If you have another few minutes of your time still free and aren't already fucking up puzzles in The Witness or walking around with a confiscated stereo in Firewatch then I've got a guide that should take care of you just fine.

[...]

See, that wasn't so bad, right? Right?!?!
What a pain. And it doesn't even solve all the other restrictions.

Wok

Games aren't just about business. My proposition is about changing the way we consume games from being a disposable product to a once in a life time event. You can't go to some arcades and play many online games because they have fallen into disrepair, been discontinued or snapped up by collectors. If you don't get it here you won't get it anywhere.

Let us organize scarcity in a digital world: the game.

Valve actually does that with some immortal Dota2 items.

As well as with some Dota2 skin bundles tied to your account and sold for a special event. Impossible to buy aftet the event, impossible to trade, giftable but once, and that is it.

What a pain. And it doesn't even solve all the other restrictions.

I have an easier guide to add Win10 apps to Steam.

Don't buy from a crap service.

Simple, really.

cosigned

I can't believe people forgot GFWL this fast

I had a couple of dumb $.10 halo games that if i didn't do this i would totally forget that i had them. Hell, i try to add all of my non-steam games or else it's like it doesn't exist.

The process is actually like 3-5 minutes long and the first time you do it you've basically made adding any other apps a breeze. I'm sure at least a couple of people will find this helpful.

I'm not sitting here praising the Win10 store but i also figured that this would be helpful for the future, when there will likely be some win10 store exclusives that people give a crap about

Dr Dogg

Never set a timescale you can't keep to, like ever in any line of work. Had that shit bite me in the arse countless times even when I was super confident on delivering ahead of schedule.

Makes sense. Or else one thread is two different arguments going on.

Well going by the description of the Season Pass you should get all 6 DLC characters and their alternative cossie for the price of admission. But what of the OG cast and their alternative outfits? You unlock them for completing their story segment and you have to buy them in the store when that's available in March so that's going to cost a whole bunch of Fight Money if you want them. Plus what about the other 3 preorder costumes? Maybe they might turn up in the Fight Money store at some point. Maybe they might only be purchasable with real money. Maybe they might remain exclusive. Someone needs to make a chart for this!

Jawmuncher

Never set a timescale you can't keep to, like ever in any line of work. Had that shit bite me in the arse countless times even when I was super confident on delivering ahead of schedule.

Well going by the description of the Season Pass you should get all 6 DLC characters and their alternative cossie for the price of admission. But what of the OG cast and their alternative outfits? You unlock them for completing their story segment and you have to buy them in the store when that's available in March so that's going to cost a whole bunch of Fight Money if you want them. Plus what about the other 3 preorder costumes? Maybe they might turn up in the Fight Money store at some point. Maybe they might only be purchasable with real money. Maybe they might remain exclusive. Someone needs to make a chart for this!

Yeah I said before I don't like the idea of being able to unlock something in game, and still have to pay for it to use it. Kind of defeats the purpose.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Forza Motorsport 6 and Gears of War 4 also rumored to be coming to Windows 10

New rumors about Microsoft's gaming plans for Windows 10 claim that the company is planning to release a version of its Xbox One racing sim Forza Motorsport 6 for the PC OS as an exclusive for the Windows Store.

According to WPDang, this is all part of Microsoft's strategy to beef up its Windows 10 game efforts, with the Windows Store as the exclusive outlet. In addition to Forza Motorsport 6, the site claims, via unnamed sources, that Gears of War 4 might also be released for Windows 10 in addition to Xbox One, along with Scalebound. It also mentions a previously unannounced game, Forza Horizon 3, as coming to both Xbox One and Windows 10.

Microsoft announced last week that Quantum Break will be released for Windows 10 on April 5, the same day as the Xbox One version, with pre-orders for the console game getting the Windows 10 version for free. The company also announced in 2015 that the Xbox One games Gears of War Ultimate Edition, ReCore, Halo Wars 2 and Killer Instinct will all be coming to Windows 10 at some point.

Jawmuncher

I remember getting a racing wheel for my PS1 from my dad. The problem is I didn't play racing games. It came with Le Mans or something which was alright. I mainly just remember trying to play Medal of Honor with it.

I hope it's false, they need to keep some exclusives to the Xbox

What for? The "Conquering the Living Room with XBOX" ship has long sailed the only thing that matters for entertainment is convergence devices and in that regard MS's grand strategy is no longer the XBOX, it's W10. They don't care if it's on the XBOX or PC or Handheld/Phone, as long as you use their OS their game will be on it from now on. Get used to it.

Deques

That's fine by me. But why support a company that locks their pc releases? They're treating pc games like console gamers. No other digital service does this.

Why stop support a company because of one thing? MS has done a lot of things that are great

Zeknurn

Ludens

Banned
Why stop support a company because of one thing? MS has done a lot of things that are great

Well, do you own some games on GFWL? I mean, games which never got a Steamwork passage. Try to play them now.
This is, for me, a sufficient reason to not give Microsoft a penny.
Regarding the good things...Win10?

If MS get's out of the console race I wonder how they would handle it.

"XBox, PCize yourself."

Transform and Roll Out

250px-Soundwave_shrinks.gif

Hektor

What for? The "Conquering the Living Room with XBOX" ship has long sailed the only thing that matters for entertainment is convergence devices and in that regard MS's grand strategy is no longer the XBOX, it's W10. They don't care if it's on the XBOX or PC or Handheld/Phone, as long as you use their OS their game will be on it from now on. Get used to it.

I was just baiting.

Some people are still bitter due to Gfwl and rightfully so.

yuraya

If MS get's out of the console race I wonder how they would handle it.

They are pretty much already pointing people towards the emergency fire exit by giving them free copies of pc version. Its really messed up if you think about it but at least they are being nice.

The ship is sinking. I expect them to release a digital only slim version of Xbone later this year for cheap. After that they'll fully focus on a new console or some other crazy stuff like VR/AR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom