• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

JaseC, just FYI, one of the games from the latest Indie Gala bundle seems to be using Final Fantasy 6 assets.
I mean, look at the store picture:

ss_048b15ff2fdfc8e3bc3b7075e5009eedf2c47dce.1920x1080.jpg

Oh wait, you already own the game. Nevermind then, other collectors should take note in any case.

Jawmuncher

JaseC, just FYI, one of the games from the latest Indie Gala bundle seems to be using Final Fantasy 6 assets.

Oh wait, you already own the game. Nevermind then, other collectors should take note in any case.

Unless someone snitches, it'll be alright.
Are you gonna snitch to Square Enix?

Dr Dogg

Microsoft selling stuff on their own store, under their own infrastructure and DRMed and locked down to buggery was always bound to happen (do they even employ anyone in their Xbox division who understands what the general PC gamer wants?). I can kinda ignore a few titles that have restrictions I'm not fond of in the slightest. Sure you might miss out on some great titles for a principled position but I'll live, you can't play every game under the sun and I've got more than enough already to keep me going long after I've dropped of this planet. But if they start pulling that shit again where they try and snag up third party titles as Win 10 exclusives then I'm really going to let my feelings be known.

Well, do you own some games on GFWL? I mean, games which never got a Steamwork passage. Try to play them now.
This is, for me, a sufficient reason to not give Microsoft a penny.
Regarding the good things...Win10?

Eh.. Does GFWL even stop you from playing the games you already have? I know for a fact that I can still play Fallout 3 from the Disc. What's your point here?

Ludens

Banned
Eh.. Does GFWL even stop you from playing the games you already have? I know for a fact that I can still play Fallout 3 from the Disc. What's your point here?

Yes, games purchased on GFWL no longer work, I can't redownload Fable 3 and other games/dlcs I bought. Not only me, of course, but all users.

Tizoc

Yo Jase, do you know of any method to get the Steam 007 PC games?

A man with some sense. Thank you.

Umm that's kinda how I feel too :p
But I need all your powers combined to stop me from getting RARE replayif it ever gets released on W10 Store.

r3n4ud

Yo Jase, do you know of any method to get the Steam 007 PC games?

Umm that's kinda how I feel too :p
But I need all your powers combined to stop me from getting RARE replayif it ever gets released on W10 Store.
Believe you me, if those MS games do come to pc, it'll be damn hard to resist. But, knowing they're exclusive to the Win store makes me put away my wallet.

Tizoc

Well, do you own some games on GFWL? I mean, games which never got a Steamwork passage. Try to play them now.
This is, for me, a sufficient reason to not give Microsoft a penny.
Regarding the good things...Win10?

"XBox, PCize yourself."

Transform and Roll Out

Windows 10 Store: "Why do you throw your life away so recklessly?"
Steam: "That's a question you should ask yourself"

It's great to be finally be able to play Xbox exclusives on PC. Yes, it's far from an optimal solution and Win10 apps have really big restrictions but buying the game on the appstore but playing it hacked should solve the restrictions hopefully.

Annubis

Nah, last I checked, FF6 looked more like this:
Mhh2Gzo.jpg

dex3108

A few days after Disney CEO Bob Iger noted production has begun on Star Wars: Episode VIII, Lucasfilm has sent out an official press release announcing the sequel is now filming, and in the process, has officially revealed a trio of new cast members joining the saga.

While the actor himself had spoken about likely being in the film since last summer, this is the first time Lucasfilm has said that Benicio Del Toro (Guardians of the Galaxy, The Usual Suspects) is officially cast in Episode VIII. Joining him will be Laura Dern (Jurassic Park, Enlightened) and a relative newcomer, Kelly Marie Tran. Tran's credits include a couple episodes of the NBC comedy About a Boy, along with the series Ladies Like Us and several College Humor originals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQQMLE4FuIQ

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02...-star-wars-episode-8-first-set-video-released

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think one of the patches on the Xbone version did repopulate area's a bit more after competition of the main game but mainly certain areas instead of the whole map. I can remember going back to the start of the Soviet Installation to pick up some collectables I missed on the first time through and there was a different encounter there from the first time and a revisit I made before the game was complete. Though I did go for the more resources and xp increase upgrades first to maximise potential in those categories.

Completing the game did automatically repopulate every enemy respawn area, but there's still a cooldown period, which at a guess seems to be around 15 minutes. I've noticed that The Lost City in particular repopulates every time you fast travel back to it, which I assume is unintentional as it's the only area in the game that does so (and this was most definitely wasn't the case prior to completing the campaign), but the "deathless ones" drop neither salvage nor tech parts despite being more than happy to give up modern ammo, so the bug isn't helpful in the slightest.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Sniper Elite 4 outed by LinkedIn profile

Rebellion confirms plans to announce a new game "soon" - but is it a new Sniper Elite?

Sniper Elite 4 is currently in development at Rebellion, according to the LinkedIn profile of an employee at Chinese digital arts company ADIA Entertainment (pictured below).

Further details on the game, including a potential release date and platforms, are not revealed in the employee's profile, nor is it clear when Rebellion plans to formally announce the game.

Rebellion does have plans to announce a new game soon, co-founder Jason Kingsley told VideoGamer.com earlier today, possibly as early as next month's GDC.

"To be honest we're flattered that people are actively searching out for a new Sniper Elite title, and we certainly don't mind being mentioned next to projects like Black Ops 3 and Unreal!" Kingsley said in a statement provided to us this afternoon. "However the person in question doesn't work for Rebellion and we haven't announced a new entry in the Sniper Elite series.

"Last year we celebrated the Sniper Elite series' 10th birthday and 10 millionth sale, so our IP is still hugely important to both Rebellion and independent UK games development. We're actually gearing up to announce a new Rebellion game soon, so expect to hear more from us before GDC!"

Sniper Elite 3, the most recent core entry in the series, released on PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3 and PC in June 2014, with an undead-shooting spin-off, Zombie Army Trilogy, launching on current-gen consoles and PC early last year.

GDC, meanwhile, takes place in San Francisco between March 14-16. Could the studio be gearing up to reveal Sniper Elite 4 there?

ADIA Entertainment has previously collaborated with developers on multiple hit franchises, including Uncharted, The Last of Us, BioShock, Bloodborne and Hitman, and describes itself on its website as "one of the top names in game art production".

The listing follows a similar leak from a Chinese developer's LinkedIn profile this weekend outing the existence of Knack 2, which is reportedly being assisted by Taiwanese development company XPEC Entertainment.

Ludens

Banned
I find it crazy that people forget what MS did to pc gamers the last time. And when they fuck this up again, and they will, the people crying will be something to see.

People will cry for a while, then they will be ready for the next big thing. As usually, pretty much (ie I remember that AC Unity thread with people who "never mored" Ubi and the same people pre-ordered Rogue and Syndacate, so...just an example, don't get angry at me AC lovers!).

Ucchedavāda;195340466 said:
Does that actually allow you to use Steam overlays (I'm guessing that it doesn't), or does it just allow you to launch the app through Steam?

This is just for launching the game through steam. Like i said earlier, i add my non-steam games to steam so i dont forget that they exist and adding the $.20 worth of win10 store games i own to steam was part of that process. I also haven't really tested it much so maybe some stuff works according to Htown? ::shrugs::

--------

FINALLY got a second sniper in Enemy Within, only she's a story character that the game keeps heavily hinting that i should throw into the Psi Labs to see if she's gifted. So now i lost my only other sniper for 10 days. Sigh.

Also, it really feels like Firaxis accelerated the campaign quite a bit. I'm already at the stage where we've capture the alien's communication beacon and i just need to build a hyperspace thing already. I'm either misremembering how Enemy Unknown played out but this feels like fairly late game stuff. Maybe there's a bunch of new stuff after this? I guess we'll see.

pislit

I was expecting to have more information regarding Win10 store in those threads, like probable release dates of games, MS legacy games (Freelancer, Black & White, maybe longshot MGS1), discussion of DRM / sandboxing, etc. etc.

Instead all I read are whinery, there goes the reason to buy an Xbox, and more importantly, the crucifixion of Durante. LOL.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Ucchedavāda;195340466 said:
Does that actually allow you to use Steam overlays (I'm guessing that it doesn't), or does it just allow you to launch the app through Steam?

you can launch the Steam overlay, but you don't get any of the integration features with Steam (achievements, etc.)

the framerate counter works though

rtcn63

I'll have to pick up an XB1 sometime after Gears 4 drops (to $20). Not a huge fan of the series, but third-person shooters and all.

you can launch the Steam overlay, but you don't get any of the integration features with Steam (achievements, etc.)

the framerate counter works though

Interesting, if that overlay works there must be a way to get others working.
Still, it's pretty crappy that people have to go through all that when normal apps are so much easier to deal with.

Bluestacks worked fine...for a day. Then it gives you a choice: pay for it, or install certain apps (possibly adware) to keep using it for free.
Bluestacks isn't the only android emulator. There is always something like droid4x though the newest versions have the MMC set to China (it's a Chinese program) but you can change that. Sometimes on bootup it shows some Chinese f2p game.

That said though I prefer native over emulation anytime.

Hitman GO is coming to Steam, I'd bet that Lara Croft GO will follow suit.
I suppose that will mean steam keys for anyone that got it in a humble bundle?

If MS get's out of the console race I wonder how they would handle it.
The console will be a windows PC plugged into a TV and suddenly the "Xbox running on Windows" jokes from 2001 have come full circle.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
either SFV isnt selling much, or XCOM 2 is (continues to be?) a monster because hot ryu cant get that top place on the sellers

Lain

I find it crazy that people forget what MS did to pc gamers the last time. And when they fuck this up again, and they will, the people crying will be something to see.

Maybe it's because of optimism (they will do better this time) or maybe because of disinterest (who cares what they did before, it doesn't concern me).
I do hope the Win Store won't end like GFWL for all those that are gonna use it for the coming X1 to PC games, though I don't really have any interest in using it any time soon.

I'm having a PC issue ever since getting a new PC. Already posted in the Tech Support Thread but I know there a plenty smart folks here as well, so cross-posting.
Hi folks. I'm having the following issue ever since I got a new PC. It was the exact same on Win8.1 and is the same now that I did a clean Win10 install.

The issue is that when I start my PC, CPU usage and GPU utilization are not functioning properly. Even at idle, one core is always maxed out while all other cores are working as they should (only under load).
GPU is the other way. It just doesn't get utilized as well as it should. I get much worse performance thus.

The only solution which always solves this, is to restart after a PC start. I don't even have to restart in Windows. Going in BIOS when starting the first time and exiting(restarting) from there solves the issue.
After restarting/"double starting" the PC, CPU usage is again normal and GPU gets utilizied much more which leads to expectable performance in games.

Here screenshots showing the problem.
N4KjZvZ.png
HuNfKRS.png

CPU usage after a single PC start (left) and after doing a restart (right)
DyjBEgI.png
jOwUdss.png

Gaming performance after a single PC start (left) and after doing a restart (right)
(I had gaming instances where GPU usage was ~10% after a single PC start and ~90% after restarting the PC!)

Since the issue is the same under Win8.1 & Win10 and it gets solved when restarting/double starting from BIOS, I assume it has something to do with my motherboard maybe? I have no clue really why BIOS is the newest available firmware. But I want to solve this issue and not every single time double start my PC for it to work properly.

Please help!

My PC specs are following:
CPU: Intel i5-4690
GPU: MSI 970 Gaming 4G
MOBO: MSI Z97 PC Mate
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Interesting, if that overlay works there must be a way to get others working.
Still, it's pretty crappy that people have to go through all that when normal apps are so much easier to deal with.

ignore what I said, I misunderstood the conversation

MadGear

I just read about the new release times for SFV. Sadly it seems that the preload is only 50% of the game, so there go my hopes of a late night session of SFV.
My keyboard also hasn't been "RMA'd" yet. so I'll either have to play on a cheap but indestructible generic cherry rubber dome keyboard (my fingers are crying) or my DS4 and considering how bad I'm with a pad at these games I don't know whats worse.

I should have bought that Venom Stick and modded it with Sanwa parts when there was still time to do so :/

either SFV isnt selling much, or XCOM 2 is (continues to be?) a monster because hot ryu cant get that top place on the sellers

Fighting games on PC still aren't going to sell as much as you think they are, especially after what WB and Tecmo do lately, yes I know it's Capcom and Street Fighter but, I assume people are a little cautious. That and not as many people play fighting games on PC as much as consoles obviously sadly, despite PC allowing you to use any controller you want damn near easier.

Fighting games on PC still aren't going to sell as much as you think they are, especially after what WB and Tecmo do lately, yes I know it's Capcom and Street Fighter but, I assume people are a little cautious. That and not as many people play fighting games on PC as much as consoles obviously sadly.

yup. Fighting games have struggled as they've either come late to the platform - a huge nono as people who are serious about fighting games need to pick them up day one so that they can keep up with the meta game- or come broken and abandoned to the platform.

I've yet to see a fighting game truly take off on PC the way they do on the consoles though hopefully that changes soon. Launching a good AAA fighting game day one without the port and netcode being total garbage is a good start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom