• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Fighting games on PC still aren't going to sell as much as you think they are, especially after what WB and Tecmo do lately, yes I know it's Capcom and Street Fighter but, I assume people are a little cautious. That and not as many people play fighting games on PC as much as consoles obviously sadly, despite PC allowing you to use any controller you want damn near easier.

IMHO, it is more the later than anything. After Dragon's Dogma, you know Capcom PC ports are usually really good, but XCOM 2 happened to release first. If XCOM were delayed to say March the game could've had a bigger sales boost.

yuraya

either SFV isnt selling much, or XCOM 2 is (continues to be?) a monster because hot ryu cant get that top place on the sellers

XCOM2 is going to be a monster for a while in the charts. Its a 2K as well so price will collapse pretty fast which will push even more sales.

Mivey

What if Microsofts strategy totally works and the Windows Store becomes incredibly succesful as a gaming platform and even siderails Steam eventually? Could be interesting material for a dystopian novel or adventure game. Sort of like "The Man in the High Castle", only more draconian.

Xanathus

Just finished Life is Strange episode 2. I think I've played enough small-town mystery games to figure out who the real bad guy or whatever is.

fpR0IOQ.gif

The wheels are in full motion now guys. I'm expecting MCC announcement any day now.

Sorry Xbox one owners :(
GFWL 2.0
I'm having a PC issue ever since getting a new PC. Already posted in the Tech Support Thread but I know there a plenty smart folks here as well, so cross-posting.

Do what the other poster said and if that does not work disable CPU parking. There is also a setting, forgive me I do not remember the name, in BIOS that can turn off a form of power saving.

Disable fast startup in your power options.
Oh my God. This solved it! CPU and GPU usage is normal again when starting the PC a single time. Thank you! I've been doing double starts for almost a year now. Since it was the same across two OS's, I assume it was the motherboard. This is great.

I didn't know so many PC gamers were so adverse to doing a 3-5 minute thing to add a non-steam game to steam. Maybe i'm a weirdo but i actually enjoyed going through the hoops of adding win10 stuff to steam.

yuraya

What if Microsofts strategy totally works and the Windows Store becomes incredibly succesful as a gaming platform and even siderails Steam eventually? Could be interesting material for a dystopian novel or adventure game. Sort of like "The Man in the High Castle", only more draconian.

Gabe will unleash the secret weapon if MS starts eating Valve's lunch. I don't see it happening. I think Win10 store could hurt Origin and Uplay more than Steam.

Lain

In that case, I'll shut myself inside battle.net and play Blizzard games all day every day.

Mivey

I didn't know so many PC gamers were so adverse to doing a 3-5 minute thing to add a non-steam game to steam. Maybe i'm a weirdo but i actually enjoyed going through the hoops of adding win10 stuff to steam.
It's one thing to like to tinker and experiment with stuff to do interesting stuff. As a hobby programmer, that's what I spent half my free time on, the other being games, mostly. But having to go "through the hoops" for completely bullshit reasons, like MS not using executables, because they are special snowflake or something, is not rewarding or interesting. If you feel otherwise, you are weird. Which is fine, but just saying.

DagsJT

I had a couple of dumb $.10 halo games that if i didn't do this i would totally forget that i had them. Hell, i try to add all of my non-steam games or else it's like it doesn't exist.

The process is actually like 3-5 minutes long and the first time you do it you've basically made adding any other apps a breeze. I'm sure at least a couple of people will find this helpful.

I'm not sitting here praising the Win10 store but i also figured that this would be helpful for the future, when there will likely be some win10 store exclusives that people give a crap about

Thanks for taking the time to create the guide, I appreciate it regardless of other people hating W10 apps.

gelf

either SFV isnt selling much, or XCOM 2 is (continues to be?) a monster because hot ryu cant get that top place on the sellers

I'm not buying until it has more content. I actually like to play a decent amount of single player before I venture online and the game doesn't even have a barebones Arcade mode.

Jawmuncher

I really think Capcom and Sony should have waited on releasing SFV until they released a more complete package for the casual player.

I'm assuming they're just gonna do a sort of "Wave 2" Marketing. Kind of like the new seasons of KI. While you were away there is now 10 new Characters, 8 New modes, ETC. All of them available for free*

*Characters and Costumes must be unlocked with fight money or purchased.

Pachimari

It's one thing to like to tinker and experiment with stuff to do interesting stuff. As a hobby programmer, that's what I spent half my free time on, the other being games, mostly. But having to go "through the hoops" for completely bullshit reasons, like MS not using executables, because they are special snowflake or something, is not rewarding or interesting. If you feel otherwise, you are weird. Which is fine, but just saying.

Oh shit, so Gameplay Time Tracker won't work with Windows 10 Store games!?

I really think Capcom and Sony should have waited on releasing SFV until they released a more complete package for the casual player.

They couldn't. There was really know choice to delay. They needed to get it out ahead of tournament season.

Thanks for taking the time to create the guide, I appreciate it regardless of other people hating W10 apps.

Thanks! ::thumbs up::

any later and Evo players wouldn't have had enough time to prep. They need this game at evo to help with its sales so that was a major nono.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

But ironically one of the major criticisms of the W10 store is that the sandbox nature doesn't allow you to tinker and experiment with injectors or mods. So surely if you didnt' want to spend those few minutes, you'd actually appreciate the simplicity of entirely untouchable sandbox 'games as apps'?

Knurek

Well, how can a single (two, three?) games shift the tide when our investment into Steam counts into thousands of games? When we can have 200+ games on GOG, or other platforms?
Few mobile ports sold for $0.10 can't really shift the tide. Few exclusive PC games released on a platform that simply does not work well with PC games will not work as well.

I really can't see other publishers following MS to exclusivity on the store. Especially when they had to shell out for the effort to remove GfWL quite recently.

Nope. Does not work with them. Has no chance to work with them, with how Universal Apps are working.

r3n4ud

But ironically one of the major criticisms of the W10 store is that the sandbox nature doesn't allow you to tinker and experiment with injectors or mods. So surely if you didnt' want to spend those few minutes, you'd actually appreciate the simplicity of entirely untouchable sandbox 'games as apps'?
Playing with mods and jumping through hoops to add a game as an exe is not quite the same.

Jawmuncher

They couldn't. There was really know choice to delay. They needed to get it out ahead of tournament season.

In all seriousness what does Tournament Season do for any of us? I can think of more positives to capcom themselves over any of us. SFV Being at EVO gives them free marketing in a way. "Oh man SFV looked cool at EVO, guess i'll go pick it up now".

For regular players only positives I see is that we can play the game early and watch other people play at a competitive level.

Dr Dogg

Not having a traditional Arcade mode and final boss is one of the more baffling decisions I have with SFV. Especially when you look at the stipulations you had to face off against hidden bosses as well in the various different versions of IV. For the single player that just wants to play offline a mode like that adds a fair old whack of replayability. Granted some get bored and might only play it a couple of times while others will exhaust every possible option but not even having a hook like this at launch strikes me as odd. Realistically it's a mode that could complement the Cinematic Story mode they plan to drop in June and something to keep engagement levels up for those prepared to wait. I guess getting the game out to support the Capcom Pro Tour was more a priority but I can't help think that the casual audience Capcom were after aren't going to be that patient waiting for the planned content drops.

Jawmuncher

SFV is merely serviceable for the seasoned online warrior. For the beginner, it is simply abysmal.

Yeah this has been the case for awhile now.

Not having a traditional Arcade mode and final boss is one of the more baffling decisions I have with SFV. Especially when you look at the stipulations you had to face off against hidden bosses as well in the various different versions of IV. For the single player that just wants to play offline a mode like that adds a fair old whack of replayability. Granted some get bored and might only play it a couple of times while others will exhaust every possible option but not even having a hook like this at launch strikes me as odd. Realistically it's a mode that could complement the Cinematic Story mode they plan to drop in June and something to keep engagement levels up for those prepared to wait. I guess getting the game out to support the Capcom Pro Tour was more a priority but I can't help think that the casual audience Capcom were after aren't going to be that patient waiting for the planned content drops.

Why waste resources on a Arcade mode when you have the Character Stories and Survival Mode? Since a arcade mode would need it's own openings, endings, and maybe even rival battles for it to be of interest to casual fans. Better to put the focus on getting the game out and Cinematic Story mode which will interest the most. Nowadays arcade mode isn't really a selling point to people.

Didn't know SFV doesn't have an arcade mode. WTF?

SFV is merely serviceable for the seasoned online warrior. For the beginner, it is simply abysmal.

Yeah this has been the case for awhile now.

Why waste resources on a Arcade mode when you have the Character Stories and Survival Mode? Since a arcade mode would need it's own openings, endings, and maybe even rival battles for it to be of interest to casual fans. Better to put the focus on getting the game out and Cinematic Story mode which will interest the most. Nowadays arcade mode isn't really a selling point to people.

A simple arcade mode that gives you a string of opponents to fight would've suficed, no need for intros or whatever since a story mode has already been announced. Surely that's not something that would've demanded a lot of resources and it would tide people over until they got the real deal.

Pachimari

It has a Story Mode and Survival. Next month it'll have Cinematic Story Mode, Trials and Challenges and Extra Battle. I am personally fine with this, but I can see where people are coming from when they are missing the Arcade mode.

Also, Street Fighter V got the expected reviews. The core gameplay is great, while lacking content, which will come next month already, and in June.

Jawmuncher

Character Stories is almost like a lite arcade mode. If you just want to keep fighting people there is survival.

A simple arcade mode that gives you a string of opponents to fight would've suficed, no need for intros or whatever since a story mode has been announced. Surely that's not something that would've demanded a lot of resources and it would tide people over until they got the real deal.

That's what Survival is for.

It has a Story Mode and Survival. Next month it'll have Cinematic Story Mode, Trials and Challenges and Extra Battle. I am personally fine with this, but I can see where people are coming from when they are missing the Arcade mode.

Also, Street Fighter V got the expected reviews. The core gameplay is great, while lacking content, which will come next month already, and in June.

So its really a Early Access title....

Pachimari

Keep singing that song.

I rather this, and get it tomorrow already, than a delay. And I love getting the features over the next few months, as i see it as a service, like DriveClub is. But yeah, there's no excuse leaving out 8 player lobbies, spectating and trials and challenges from launch. And Arcade too, and the shop as well lol.

Jawmuncher

SF5 looks much easier to get into than SF4 IMO.

Easier to get in is one thing. If Beginner's don't care for the amount of content that's another.
I know for you it's fine to just have Versus and Training, but some people need more incentive than that.

Keep singing that song.

I rather this, and get it tomorrow already, than a delay. And I love getting the features over the next few months, as i see it as a service, like DriveClub is. But yeah, there's no excuse leaving out 8 player lobbies, spectating and trials and challenges from launch. And Arcade too, and the shop as well lol.

Thats what I mean. Man. You buy a game for 50-60€, then miss normal features every fighting game has at release for 1 month.

Tizoc

SF5's 'Story' Prologues are like an abridged ver. of GG Xrd and BlazBlue Arcade modes; completing arcade modes functions as the prologue or giving a hint to that characters role in the story. In story mode all is revealed.

Personally if I can play Versus and Online mode, that's all fine and dandy and more than enough.
EDIT: Keep in mind that we got competitive MOBAs releasing to consoles that are going for $60 too and those are primarily intended for online multiplayer.

Speaking of which, Capcom planned for SF5 to release by Feb. based on their fiscal year plans IIRC, if most of the time was put into getting the game as balanced as possible I can understand if the rest was put in the backburner.

Easier to get in is one thing. If Beginner's don't care for the amount of content that's another.
I know for you it's fine to just have Versus and Training, but some people need more incentive than that.

Yeah true, but the need for a deep story or single player mode in FGs is something I'll never understand, since in the long run that doesn't matter.

Dr Dogg

That argument works both ways you know? Why waste resources making the Character Stories, which you can see are half baked and a one and done dealio with no replayability and such fucking shocking artwork that I don't even think Bengus can be proud of. Do you honestly think having a set up where you face off against 6 random CPU characters 1 rival and 1 set boss encounter even if you have just 1 opening and closing cutscene per character unlike the 3-5 the Character Stories have now would use more resources than what's gone into the 2 modes you've mentioned? If you design it properly you can make it replayable, where as those Character Stories and Survival Mode to a certain extent seeing as the lure is a one time reward, probably offer much less replayability.

Jawmuncher

That argument works both ways you know? Why waste resources making the Character Stories, which you can see if half baked and a one and done dealio with no replayability and such fucking shocking artwork that I don't even think Bengus can be proud of. Do you honestly think have a set up where you face off against 6 random CPU characters 1 rival and 1 set boss encounter even if you have just 1 opening and closing cutscene per character unlike the 3-5 the Character Stories have now would use more resources than what's gone into the 2 modes you've mentioned? If you design it properly you can make it replayable, where as those Character Stories and Survival Mode to a certain extent seeing as the lure is a one time reward, probably offer much less replayability.

I'm just going by how capcom probably thought of it. I know for sure though Seeing a story mode of some sort on the box is more of a selling point than a arcade mode. The Arcade mode in SF4 was pretty lackluster story wise. The bad Bengus art will still probably offer a better time. Since if they half-assed here it was going to be the same case for Arcade mode. Aside from that I don't see how a Arcade mode has more replayability than a Survival mode. Most of the modes are usually a one and done kind of think per character. Especially when there isn't anyone to unlock like in SF4. You unlock the costumes for beating all of the story modes and a color for all of the survival modes.

Arcade mode would have been Bengus Art Opener and Bengus Art Closer. With just one of the 16 characters as a boss character with some sort of damage buff.
Like i'm not saying "Fuck Arade Mode we don't need it", but I can see why capcom didn't bother considering it's release frame. Had this been delayed and released after EVO. Then I would be right there wondering why no Arcade mode.

Character Stories is almost like a lite arcade mode. If you just want to keep fighting people there is survival.

That's what Survival is for.

Oh, OK, the way some people were phrasing it gave the impression that there wasn't anything for solo play.
Man, I used to be into fighting games when I was a kid, now I really suck at them. To become decent I would have to sacrifice pretty much all of my gaming time and that's not something I'm willing to do, too many great games demanding my attention.
I can really tell that I don't have the reflexes and dexterity I had when I was a kid, getting old is depressing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if 8 years ago, Capcom said this:

"hey do you want to buy the arcade version of SF4 at the same time that it comes out in arcades?"

people would give their left nut to do that :p

I am not defending the lack of single player content btw, it sucks and the reviews are totally fair when / because you review the whole package, not just the "game" part (in fact they probably should be lower lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom