• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleinc

Banned
Man, I used to be into fighting games when I was a kid, now I really suck at them. To become decent I would have to sacrifice pretty much all of my gaming time and that's not something I'm willing to do, too many great games demanding my attention.
My observation is you need several hundred hours to get to beginner level in fighting games.

My observation is you need several hundred hours to get to beginner level in fighting games.

I don't get your need for sarcasm, if I have on average one hour per day at best to play, wouldn't I need to put that time into a fighting game to be competitive?
With any kind of MP game playing casually only results in getting your ass handed to you 100% of the time, you have to commit to it to a certain degree.

Knurek

How likely are to to get Universal App to Win64/PE converter?
(Yes, I know the Universal App has an exe. win32/.net to be more precise. You know what I'm talking about though, right?)

I know the Win10 Store version of Hitman Go is releasing on Steam, someone could tackle it, compare two versions and figure something out here.

Would have certainly be nice.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

ldbU8A1.jpg

Ill wait for that GOTY edition

I will probably end up doing the same. It's weird not getting a Souls game on day 1 but I've barely scratched the surface on Bloodborne, no point getting into another one without finishing the previous game, especially since it's guaranteed to get a Prepare to die/SotFS type edition later.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I will probably end up doing the same. It's weird not getting a Souls game on day 1 but I've barely scratched the surface on Bloodborne, no point getting into another one without finishing the previous game, especially since it's guaranteed to get a Prepare to die/SotFS type edition later.

If Bloodborne was a true souls game, you might have a point. ;) Also, why haven't you played it yet? The DLC is out, the game is complete, get to it.

I learned my lesson with FROM Season Passes though... I have my DS3 bought already, but with the way I work with the Souls games (i'll be 100% within a month of release, most likely) and not being a fan of taking a fully leveled character back into something new just because something new released (I did that same with DS2), I'll probably wait for the inevitable SotFS type GOTY version before looking into a Season Pass for DS3.

Dr Dogg

I'm just going by how capcom probably thought of it. I know for sure though Seeing a story mode of some sort on the box is more of a selling point than a arcade mode. The Arcade mode in SF4 was pretty lackluster story wise. The bad Bengus art will still probably offer a better time. Since if they half-assed here it was going to be the same case for Arcade mode. Aside from that I don't see how a Arcade mode has more replayability than a Survival mode. Most of the modes are usually a one and done kind of think per character. Especially when there isn't anyone to unlock like in SF4. You unlock the costumes for beating all of the story modes and a color for all of the survival modes.

Arcade mode would have been Bengus Art Opener and Bengus Art Closer. With just one of the 16 characters as a boss character with some sort of damage buff.
Like i'm not saying "Fuck Arade Mode we don't need it", but I can see why capcom didn't bother considering it's release frame. Had this been delayed and released after EVO. Then I would be right there wondering why no Arcade mode.

You can't bring that sort of reasoning into it when no arcade mode exists anyway. It's pretty flipping obvious that the focus is to get the gameplay itself to a consistent and balanced level above all else ready for competitive play. Not just EVO but the 72 global events for the Capcom Pro Tour. That more than likely under no circumstances could their be any delays on due to organisation and monetary implications of missing release.

It looks of a case of run with what you got and fucking hope you've still kept your audience engaged with your day one content and they keep coming back when you update. It's a gamble sure but I get the feeling there was no choice in the matter let alone a plan b if you haven't got everything single player based finished in time.

Have you seen the Character Stories? Have you seen what they offer? 3 to 5 1 round fights that are blasted though in mere minutes. I don't think they even have a difficulty select. It's not an arcade mode light, it's not even a basic tutorial. But hey it's what's in the game but compared to some of the shenanigans you had to do to face of against Oni in IV Ultra there's more content there than in all the character stories combined.

Jawmuncher

You can't bring that sort of reasoning into it when no arcade mode exists anyway. It's pretty flipping obvious that the focus is to get the gameplay itself to a consistent and balanced level above all else ready for competitive play. Not just EVO but the 72 global events for the Capcom Pro Tour. That more than likely under no circumstances could their be any delays on due to organisation and monetary implications of missing release.

It looks of a case of run with what you got and fucking hope you've still kept your audience engaged with your day one content and they keep coming back when you update. It's a gamble sure but I get the feeling there was no choice in the matter let alone a plan b if you haven't got everything single player based finished in time.

Have you seen the Character Stories? Have you seen what they offer? 3 to 5 1 round fights that are blasted though in mere minutes. I don't think they even have a difficulty select. It's not an arcade mode light, it's not even a basic tutorial. But hey it's what's in the game but compared to some of the shenanigans you had to do to face of against Oni in IV Ultra there's more content there than in all the character stories combined.

My whole angle is just from casual side of things. As I said the whole Arcade Mode and doing stuff to run into Akuma, Gouken and the rest adds more gameplay sure. But I still feel the group that really want's that to capcom is the smallest minority. People who can go through arcade and get to those fights without cheesing them are the same people who are skilled enough that they won't mind just playing online. Most people can't even do the go through normal mode without using a continue on Medium.

I played a lot of Street Fighter 4 vanilla on PS3, and the arcade mode stuff did give it a lot of replay-ability. But nowadays people want Story Mode over arcade, and for all characters to be unlocked.
Thus why I can understand why capcom decided it wasn't worth the trouble of adding it for release. That's not to say it's right by any means, but I guess we can hope Arcade mode is part of the road map at some point.

Kaleinc

Banned
I don't get your need for sarcasm, if I have on average one hour per day at best to play, wouldn't I need to put that time into a fighting game to be competitive?
With any kind of MP game playing casually only results in getting your ass handed to you 100% of the time, you have to commit to it to a certain degree.
I wasn't sarcastic, just remembered how long it took when vanilla sf4 dropped. But maybe I suck and people learn faster ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yo Jase, do you know of any method to get the Steam 007 PC games?

Legends is Steamworks, but your only hope of getting Solace and Blood Stone rests with Acti deciding it wants to make James Bond games again. Or getting a job at Acti/Valve.

Dr Dogg

My whole angle is just from casual side of things. As I said the whole Arcade Mode and doing stuff to run into Akuma, Gouken and the rest adds more gameplay sure. But I still feel the group that really want's that to capcom is the smallest minority. People who can go through arcade and get to those fights without cheesing them are the same people who are skilled enough that they won't mind just playing online. Most people can't even do the go through normal mode without using a continue on Medium.

Hahaha right do you have any stats to back this up? I did try to look at achievement data but nothing can be drawn from that conclusively. I mean I could make a statement what I think people are going to do but that would be a load of bollocks dreamt up in my own head or what I would do. So really the only thing I can do in a slightly scientific way is compare the modes from the last game to what's available in V and the effort and potential for replayability, which feeds back in to engagement, is greater in IV than V. Whether Joe Gamer gets more out of IV or V isn't something I can categorically say but if you want a bit of perspective go have a read through the review thread here. End of the day time will tell how things pan out much better than either you or I could say.

I very much agree with this article. Would've been a lot better
without the murder mistery / Lost kind of thing.

I find myself wondering where the author got 4 hours out of the game.
Most accounts for completion I've seen (including mine) are barely over 3. Not even enough time to get all card drops...

Is van helsing like a twin stick shooter or like diablo where you just click on enemies?

Uhhh... if you can't tell by looking at gameplay video or reviews... it's more like diablo and is in no way a twin-stick shooter.

If Bloodborne was a true souls game, you might have a point. ;) Also, why haven't you played it yet? The DLC is out, the game is complete, get to it.

I learned my lesson with FROM Season Passes though... I have my DS3 bought already, but with the way I work with the Souls games (i'll be 100% within a month of release, most likely) and not being a fan of taking a fully leveled character back into something new just because something new released (I did that same with DS2), I'll probably wait for the inevitable SotFS type GOTY version before looking into a Season Pass for DS3.

Oh I'm playing it, was my top priority as soon as I got a PS4 at the end of the year. The problem is the time man, there's not enough time! There's family and work and stuff, lots of stuff!!!! I've only beaten the first boss...

I wasn't sarcastic, just remembered how long it took when vanilla sf4 dropped. But maybe I suck and people learn faster ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh sorry, I thought you were making fun of me.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
The Ship: Remasted has been delayed

The Ship: Remasted, the HD remake of the 2006 multiplayer murder-mystery game of (almost) the same name, was supposed to be out on Early Access today. That date was confirmed as recently as last Friday, February 12—just three days ago. But if you've been waiting for it to happen, you will likely have noticed by now that it hasn't.

The original plan was to release the game with only LAN support for the first few weeks, but the response to that idea was less than universally positive, and developer Blazing Griffin was worried about how that might affect the game's fortunes over the long-term. It has thus decided to hold off for another week in order to get online play working.

“Thanks to everyone for their comments and also for voicing your concerns. Launching a game like this is a delicate process and we were also concerned about the impact of negative reviews will have on the future of the game,” the studio wrote in an update posted today. “We did feel that on balance there were more benefits to launching today than later, but given the feedback from the community, we've moved to a more suitable solution.”

“Relay server functionality” will go live today for testers, and while bandwidth limitations mean it's currently capped to four player games, it will allow them to play online without requiring any third-party services. The studio said it hopes to have that limit increased soon, and is also still working on dedicated server support, which it expects to have ready “within a few weeks,” as originally planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom