• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
The SFV reviews are as expected. Good gameplay but lacking in content. I thought the aggregate percentage would be a few points lower than it is on Metacritic.

If Capcom keep their word and this is the only SF release for a generation, they're always going to have this (admittedly decent) 80% Metacritic score... even if they eventually triple the amount of content in the game. I wonder if they would have been better off by splitting things up the way Star Citizen just did it. Launch as a multiplayer only title at $45 or $50 and then sell the single player story mode for $10-15 later. So it kind of fulfills the early access model and reviewers would be kinder to it for sure. Of course the risk here is that they realize later that nobody (or very few people) actually give a damn about the upcoming content/story and they never get more than $45 from most of their customers.

Anyway my real issue with the game is that every single Amazon site around the world offered a pre-order bonus for the game except the one I ordered it from, Amazon.in. What an injustice! :p

Reviews matter less and less these days, at least to the bottom line.

Tizoc

The SFV reviews are as expected. Good gameplay but lacking in content. I thought the aggregate percentage would be a few points lower than it is on Metacritic.

If Capcom keep their word and this is the only SF release for a generation, they're always going to have this (admittedly decent) 80% Metacritic score... even if they eventually triple the amount of content in the game. I wonder if they would have been better off by splitting things up the way Star Citizen just did it. Launch as a multiplayer only title at $45 or $50 and then sell the single player story mode for $10-15 later. So it kind of fulfills the early access model and reviewers would be kinder to it for sure. Of course the risk here is that they realize later that nobody (or very few people) actually give a damn about the upcoming content/story and they never get more than $45 from most of their customers.

Anyway my real issue with the game is that every single Amazon site around the world offered a pre-order bonus for the game except the one I ordered it from, Amazon.in. What an injustice! :p

They pretty much nailed it with SSF4; all later updates were paid and if you wanted to you could get a disc ver. of the latest update of the SSF4 series.

XShagrath

Apparently there are people who have already completed ~30 games this year.

Oh well, I'm still well on track to have 52 done before Summer Seal. Good enough for me.

I'm unofficially taking track in this "50 games" thing as well. I've never really kept track of how many games I play/beat a year, and just move ones I've finished to a "Completed" category. This time, I decided to keep a spreadsheet, and I'm at 9 already, which is definitely on track. I haven't played any games just because they were short, but a couple of them (Gone Home, DysCourse) definitely didn't take too much time, whereas others like Grid 2 and Dirt 3 took quite a while to wrap up.

Wok

Is that the scene that got cut in the final release?

Wait. Can we not do this?

DsoLPUn.png

Reference: French test of the game (7/10).

it's a weird feeling, growing up loving fighting games so much and really not giving a shit about SFV.

I even felt the itch with MKX, but just played through its story mode and never really went online with it.

Three women with two double jumping to hit with their bottoms while the third shows her two arguments to the player.

No, you can still do that.
The posture was changed a bit after they land, and Mika slapping her own ass is no longer visible due to a change in the camera angle (which shows only her torso).

Jawmuncher

Ah right that makes sense now. Yeah I did have a look at the achievement ratios on Steam and PSNProfiles but it's next to impossible to get any information back regards to player enegament levels due to things like you could blast through Arcade Mode a bajillion times on Easy and not get a single achievement for it. I was looking for an example like the one I mentioned the other day for Mortal Kombat X and how not having a strong single player component (I guess that's Komponent in MK's kase) is probably going to detract from that casual crowd they're after. For example...

Regardless of difficulty level you get the achievement for completing 50% and 100% of the story mode as you do for completing (not winning just completing) an online match for the first time. So we can see that 36.8% of the owners went through the 4-5 hour story mode compared to 34.2% even finishing 1 online match.

It's a bit different for MK9 though with 25.1% winning an online match and 21.9% completing half the story and 13.1% finishing it. You might think that's due to the horrible PC port of MKX but PSN Profiles puts 50% story at 64.2%, 100% story at 58.15% and 1 online match played at 50.20% and MK9 is in favour of the story over online on PS3.

For sure the crowd attracted to MK is somewhat different than SF but if you want to widen your audience these are the guys you're probably going to be targeting.

Yep. Will be interesting to see how things go when the free update for the Story mode hits. Since i'm betting it will still have achievement's/Trophies tied to it.

MUnited83

For you.
Ucchedavāda;195376706 said:
No, you can still do that.
The posture was changed a bit after they land, and Mika slapping her own ass is no longer visible due to a change in the camera angle (which shows only her torso).
That camera angles is still in? lol! I wouldn't even care if they removed the buttslap entirely, but keeping it in and locking the camera at that angle is really awkward.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Mika's butt slap was shameful and there is no room in this game for such

tumblr_nyzvniH9Uy1rgszyyo1_400.gif

lewd

tumblr_nwt4yfPgoL1udwnkpo10_400.gif

content

1ac04db4cd499fb126cb2f5ab9767ea2.gif

think of the children. The children!

0ca.gif

Parsnip

Bunch of bundle stuff from here and there.
Should all work.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Parsnip, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Deep Dungeons of Doom -- MB-592AC72944C73086 - Taken by Coldsun
Blood Knights -- MB-3EC556D4287BE549 - Taken by Jawmuncher
Akane the Kunoichi -- MB-8195F4472C0A84CA - Taken by UnderWaterTree
Hero of the Kingdom -- MB-A319E3B4AF84C52A - Taken by neonglow
t1cxE6r.gif
Demonicon -- MB-46C7C4DEC320C5CE - Taken by Saty
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing -- MB-832E3425E9618134 - Taken by Nyteshade517
Stick RPG 2: Director's Cut -- MB-7F2F5A0BCA8B7BB8 - Taken by Henry Swanson

Initial impressions are .. eh?

A few issues I've run into:
  • Steam overlay appears to be broken, using my steam controller was an exercise in futility, and at one point the cursor just disappeared, and the game eventually crashed.
  • When full-screen, bits of text of the next line are shown before that line is actually revealed. This does not seem to happen in windowed mode.
  • Typos, e.g. "I need to let my tentacles breath", and text that does not match the spoken dialogue.
  • The clashing art styles quickly got distracting.
  • The protagnist being mute just feels odd, since everyone else speaks, but at least the dialogue appears to respect your character choice (male / female). I think I'll just end up muting the voices entirely.

However, I will note that the game's equivalent of insult sword-fighting got me laughing several times already. I think I'll give it another chance, but so far I wouldn't rate it as scratching that eldritch itch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom