• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

errr.. Warren Spector still thinks Deus Ex 2: Invisible War was a good idea. He hasn't made a good game in 15 years and when I hear him talk, I'm not sure he does know anymore.

Portal 2 is still a game about gaming.

Portal II wasn't that good of a game. Everything that was great about it was the dialog. They could have ripped that out and had Telltale make a game with it and it probably would have been better. The portal gun was used best in the first Portal.

zkylon

zkylewd
Neat, the last game was fun, basically Cave Story light.

suddenly i want to buy momodora 3

To be honest i really believe that Valve had really good intentions when they created Steam and that it wasn't all about money when they pushed Steam with HL and CS. At that time they just wan;ted to create better platform for PC. Fast forward to post 2010. we see different Valve that do things mostly because of money (there are exceptions like Steam VR and whole VR tech and Steam controller).
good intentions doesn't really factor here

a company is a money making machine, be it ea, ubi, valve, riot, cdpr, double fine, you name it

companies do cool stuff sometimes (yo league is pretty good and it's free*) and they're not evil, they make money that pays game makers so that they can do the awesome things you and i love

but you should never see companies as anything other than money making machines and treat them as such, for all the good and bad that entails

companies aren't people, they don't have "good intentions", they just are part of a business that happens to be awesome in its results and absolutely horrific in its process

Wok

Portal II wasn't that good of a game. Everything that was great about it was the dialog. They could have ripped that out and had Telltale make a game with it and it probably would have been better. The portal gun was used best in the first Portal.

I agree for the solo. However, the online coop' is what made Portal 2 truly amazing.

Plus the amount of polish, which you discover when you try to break the game to beat player records, is very impressive.

fallout

There were some great puzzles and fun to be had in coop. I think that was probably my favourite part of Portal 2, actually.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
24687589580_42dd872d4d_z.jpg

Yeah, I think it'll look pretty decent if they keep polishing it like this.

that looks so much better than the first few pics its like night and day

AHA-Lambda

Hadn't even realised I had these until I had to change my Bundle Stars password! =/

ModBot said:
Instructions for AHA-Lambda:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (AHA-Lambda, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Town of Salem -- MB-9F73F6437CD4F8F1 - Taken by Zeeman

Paperbound -- MB-63500228DC766CD5 - Taken by Saty
Quarries of Scred -- MB-22B0729C190C4532 - Taken by fuzzy123
Runestone Keeper -- MB-52D7173A9F5A3233 - Taken by Purkake4
Rise of the Triad (2013) -- MB-4AC8CE313E9586AF - Taken by laserlaser
rFactor -- MB-18D8CCF4759817F5 - Taken by SaveFerris
ChargeShot -- MB-118D1DDBC7839582 - Taken by Loptous

So everyone went and reset their BundleStars passwords right?

Also if you had to change passwords on other sites because of that your password practices are garbage and you should feel bad. Also you should use an password manager and stop using garbage password practices.

Also if you had to change passwords on other sites because of that your password practices are garbage and you should feel bad. Also you should use an password manager and stop using garbage password practices.

my passwords are meh but i two step auth every single thing i can so yay

that said, even Bundlestar's password resetting is more exciting than the latest humble bundles

If mister hacker man wants my used Steam keys for whatever junk BundleStars gives away then they can have it, they clearly care much more than I do.

dex3108

Uhh... You do know what a company is? In the business entity sense of the word?

suddenly i want to buy momodora 3

good intentions doesn't really factor here

a company is a money making machine, be it ea, ubi, valve, riot, cdpr, double fine, you name it

companies do cool stuff sometimes (yo league is pretty good and it's free*) and they're not evil, they make money that pays game makers so that they can do the awesome things you and i love

but you should never see companies as anything other than money making machines and treat them as such, for all the good and bad that entails

companies aren't people, they don't have "good intentions", they just are part of a business that happens to be awesome in its results and absolutely horrific in its process

I never said it is not about money, i said it is not all about money. Of course that they had intention to earn money. But these days money is at the first place for Valve and we need to rely to people like jshackles for QoL improvements and more for Steam Store.Valve is way, way different today (in most cases for the worst) then they were at their beginnings.

Wok

Is Tale Tale Michonne region-locked? I cannot find the info.

Getting it from a Russian seller would sound interesting.

Ozium

upsetting on doom.

I was to plan to build a new computer but even those cards will not give 60fps? need a 980ti at least accoring to char and 980 TIs are like 700 dollars. pascal gonna be at least twice that at lunch.

guess I'll just buy a PS4

upsetting on doom.

I was to plan to build a new computer but even those cards will not give 60fps? need a 980ti at least accoring to char and 980 TIs are like 700 dollars. pascal gonna be at least twice that at lunch.

guess I'll just buy a PS4

I wouldn't put too much stock in those benchmarks, as they are from the alpha pre optimization and drivers, I'm sure once it launches all those cards will perform as you would expect.

Khronico

Yo.

Elite Dangerous.

I spent 2hrs playing last night just roaming the galaxy and charting new systems for credits. I can definitely see how someone could lose themselves in this game, there's just so much STUFF in it. I've BARELY scratched the surface as to what's possible in that game and it's incredibly compelling.

zkylon

zkylewd
I never said it is not about money, i said it is not all about money. Of course that they had intention to earn money. But these days money is at the first place for Valve and we need to rely to people like jshackles for QoL improvements and more for Steam Store.Valve is way, way different today (in most cases for the worst) then they were at their beginnings.
idk, what are you comparing the now to?

the days where you had to pay like a 500 usd business ticket to gdc just to chat with gabe newell and maybe get your game on steam?

or when they did two left 4 deads back to back right after saying the tf2 model was their model from now on?

or when steam was released with hl2 and it was kind of a hot mess?

idk, i don't think they've changed all that much, they're just bigger now and haven't scaled properly to support it so steam store is pretty terrible as is their client

but i hear doto and cs go are both great so i'm pretty confident they're still very good at making games

Spector is a legend but he hasn't exactly been killing it for the last decade or so. He and Harvey Smith put out Turd Ex 2.

At least Harvey Smith helped make Dishonored so he's out of the dog house

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is Tale Tale Michonne region-locked? I cannot find the info.

Getting it from a Russian seller would sound interesting.

As madjoki alluded to, all gift purchases from Russia are region-locked if they're activated outside of Eastern Europe, which has been the case for roughly 14 months now, but even if this weren't the case, all new store subs beginning with The Crow in September 2013 have AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting disabled, which you can see in the sub's "Info" tab, so the end result would be the same -- no cheap TWD.

It's a little disappointing to see indies supporting Microsoft's attempt at building a walled garden on the PC, quite frankly. I say "a little" as I realise that, by and large, the reality of a self-publishing indie developer is that every ounce of availability counts, so I certainly understand why the game is up on the Microsoft App Store for Windows PCs. But that doesn't mean I can't briefly utter "Tsk, tsk" towards what Microsoft is going to consider tacit approval.

Wok

Everytime I read about this game, I think that it is free.

Here I thought it was free on the Windows Store...

As madjoki alluded to, all gift purchases from Russia are region-locked if they're activated outside of Eastern Europe, which has been the case for roughly 14 months now, but even if this weren't the case, all new store subs beginning with The Crow in September 2013 have AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting disabled, which you can see in the sub's "Info" tab, so the end result would be the same -- no cheap TWD.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh. Right.

54 days? that's pretty soon

god i hope it's on nuuvem

how bad is the windows store?

REALLY bad. Apps are locked down so you can't even use overlays with them.

This is what Durante has to say on the matter:

Any type of executable-level modification or injection, as well as changes to data files in some cases.

So, say goodbye to
Performance analysis overlays.
Graphics injectors.
Integration of useful external applications like Mumble.
Community fixes or feature extensions.
Freesync.
In-depth modding.
Support for popular peripherals like the Steam controller. (!)
Some GPU features such as SLI or adapter switching.
Actual exclusive full screen mode.

Any type of executable-level modification or injection, as well as changes to data files in some cases.

So, say goodbye to
Graphics injectors.
Freesync.
In-depth modding.

Imagine how things would have gone if Dark Souls, KotOR2, or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines were released on Windows Store.

And actual exclusive fullscreen mode... what does that mean? No fullscreen can't be right, can it? 'Cause that's insane.

Uzzy

Imagine how things would have gone if Dark Souls, KotOR2, or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines were released on Windows Store.

And actual exclusive fullscreen mode... what does that mean? No fullscreen can't be right, can it? 'Cause that's insane.

It'd be fine though. Knowing that the community couldn't fix the game, no dev would ever release a buggy game again, and everything would be perfect at launch. What a benefit!

Actual argument seen over at gaming side

zkylon

zkylewd

So, say goodbye to
Graphics injectors.
Freesync.
In-depth modding.
not being able to launch it from steam is lame but none of the others matter to me in the silghtest for oxenfree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom