• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://i.imgur.com/lEwACD5.png
Happy birthday.
http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/doom-alpha-test-gpu.html

DOOM_1920.jpg
No 60 at 1080p for a 970. Shockingly crappy. idtech5 in general bad on Nvidia?

Happy birthday.

No 60 at 1080p for a 970. Shockingly crappy. idtech5 in general bad on Nvidia?

Well, WolfTNO kinda had higher than usual requirements that pushed my 770 at the time. I had to force triple buffering through Overrider because the stupid thing mostly held 60 fps but would start tearing like a mofo if it went under 60.

The Evil Within had unusually high specs needed for 1080/60 but got patched shortly after launch so that it wasn't quite as demanding. Haven't played through it myself but i hear it's okay now.

So yeah, at least when the engine is used by people other than id it tends to have some performance issues.

Well, WolfTNO kinda had higher than usual requirements that pushed my 770 at the time. I had to force triple buffering through Overrider because the stupid thing mostly held 60 fps but would start tearing like a mofo if it went under 60.

The Evil Within had unusually high specs needed for 1080/60 but got patched shortly after launch so that it wasn't quite as demanding. Haven't played through it myself but i hear it's okay now.

So yeah, at least when the engine is used by people other than id it tends to have some performance issues.
Bummer. Don't think I played a idtech5 game yet. It's not even looking that great either to justify the bad performance neither.
What is that Overrider you talk of?
Doom is using idtech 6 though. Weird thing is, idtech 5 worked better on Nvidia cards.
Now that is weird Kurt. Time will tell. Maybe it's only a little patch shy of much improved results. Who knows for sure before release.

What happened with Source 2 engine? They did soft launch with Dodo 2 Reborn and after that silence. And in general what the hell 300 people at Valve even do anymore?

Taking an educated guess:

Several people within Valve suggest several new initiatives. After a short time, people are drawn to the most interesting one and work begins. For many months things are going well and the project is making progress. Then, someone else starts a new, more interesting initiative and the first project starts slowly losing people. The project either slowly becomes a death march to completion or its abandoned. Repeat every 6 to 12 months.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Taking an educated guess:

Several people within Valve suggest several new initiatives. After a short time, people are drawn to the most interesting one and work begins. For many months things are going well and the project is making progress. Then, someone else starts a new, more interesting initiative and the first project starts slowly losing people. The project either slowly becomes a death march to completion or its abandoned. Repeat every 6 to 12 months.

Isn't like a L4D3 release on source 2 a given at this point?
They've been working on it for years and I wouldn't be surpised if we get the announcement this year.

They've been working on it for years and I wouldn't be surpised if we get the announcement this year.

A given as in "we knew they've been working on it for years" is one thing, it actually shipping soon or shipping altogether is another. Valve is known for not being scared of axing WIP projects. Even those wich had lot of works put into it. Or they just take their time with them. It's totally possible the playtests didn't give good results, so they're redoing it. Or as the VR project got more and more popular, more devs started to flock to it leaving the L4D3 group with not many people.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Teslagrad -- MB-093E3B0636CBC56F - Taken by redlacs. 6 entrants total.
Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-0C44503153B1A35A - Taken by chronomac. 2 entrants total.
The Extinction -- MB-DC472ABE886CB2AC - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 1 entrants total.
The Ball -- MB-EA67EB88237DD946 - Taken by Lain. 1 entrants total.
PixelJunk: Eden -- MB-B8FC5988A45BABB9 - Taken by Madn. 1 entrants total.
Dwarfs!? -- MB-A2C483B7361CFABB - Taken by Eila. 1 entrants total.

t1455725924z1.png

I remembered multientry for once

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

They were working on it feverishly when I visited Valve in early 2014, almost 2 years ago. They had it running on Source 2, even back then.

So I'd say Baron_Calamity or ashecitism are correct, it probably continues to undergo significant changes or it got scrapped altogether when Valve realized there was more money to be had selling CS:GO weapons or DOTO items.

Triple Buffering: Why We Love It Read this just now. Sounds like the best solution now that VRAM is so high that ~25MB extra is menial. Good stuff, I'll try using this from now.

well, most modern games these days already feature triple buffering in their settings. The problem with WolfTNO is that its Vsync solution IIRC was adaptive, meaning that there was no tearing at 60 or above but that it would tear if it went under 60. It's a garbage vysnc solution really.

I've had to use it with some asscreed games, too, like ACIV for example, as they only support double buffering which will make your frames per second cry in agony. Hopefully, we'll soon be in a world where every game offers triple buffering because cmon now, double buffering is junk.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
They were working on it feverishly when I visited Valve in early 2014, almost 2 years ago. They had it running on Source 2, even back then.

So I'd say Baron_Calamity or ashecitism are correct, it probably continues to undergo significant changes or it got scrapped altogether when Valve realized there was more money to be had selling CS:GO weapons or DOTO items.

That's a bleak outlook :(

Well can't say I've been particulary happy about valves direction for the last couple years and I don't think I'm alone in that.
VR is cool but nothing I'm going to use in any way for many years as I won't have money for it and at the moment I don't see the huge appeal.
Their hardware thing crashed and burned and the only good thing that came out of it was steam controller which I don't really have any reason to switch to as a desktop PCgamer.

And all their software work seems to have been put into new patches for dota 2 and csgo and/or other projects we don't see that may or may not have been reworked/scrapped.

madjoki

2 things from this..

a) uh.. is the game hard capped at 60fp?
b) i am guessing nvidia hasn't paid off ID yet to optimize the game on their hardware.

id tech 5 was hard capped at 60 fps, so it's very likely. At least it isn't capped at 30 fps, so there's that.

I mean people like to point towards the Jira leak as an absolute proof that L4D3 and HL3 will be things eventually. But since then we know several people of those groups have either left the company or moved on to other groups, especially the VR group. Who's to say they were the only people? Last year Chet tweeted how the VR group is growing day after day...

How exactly is D3DOverrider doing anything to an OGL game? it doesn't work with 64bit games either.

If you want triple buffering just use borderless windowed mode.

hmm, i recall using something to force triple buffering, maybe it was just going into the control panel on my card. Maybe im mixing it with the asscreed games, it's been a while since i messed with TNO

regardless, that the game didn't have triple buffering built in as an option is stupid

dex3108

I mean people like to point towards the Jira leak as an absolute proof that L4D3 and HL3 will be things eventually. But since then we know several people of those groups have either left the company or moved on to other groups, especially the VR group. Who's to say they were the only people? Last year Chet tweeted how the VR group is growing day after day...

To be honest i don't care about L4D3. But i am really interested to know what almost 300 people there do. They are not Steam Support for sure, i don;t think that 100 people works on Steam Controller or VR now that is almost ready for shipping. SteamOS is almost abandoned like TF2 so what they are all working on Dota 2 and CSGO?

BTW

WWE 2K16 announced for PC. March 11, free DLC.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's a bleak outlook :(

Well can't say I've been particulary happy about valves direction for the last couple years and I don't think I'm alone in that.
VR is cool but nothing I'm going to use in any way for many years as I won't have money for it and at the moment I don't see the huge appeal.
Their hardware thing crashed and burned and the only good thing that came out of it was steam controller which I don't really have any reason to switch to as a desktop PCgamer.

And all their software work seems to have been put into new patches for dota 2 and csgo and/or other projects we don't see that may or may not have been reworked/scrapped.

It's pretty sad that, from a customer perspective at least, it really seems like Valve is falling short of targeting the things that most people care about. There have been some great things that have come out of Valve in the last few years (such as refunds and the Steam controller) but people are really starting to lose faith in Valve as a company that actually makes games.

There are a few phrases that come to mind here: "Too many cooks in the kitchen" and "Too many chiefs, not enough Indians" would be the two that come to my mind when I think of Valve.

Tizoc

To be honest i don't care about L4D3. But i am really interested to know what almost 300 people there do. They are not Steam Support for sure, i don;t think that 100 people works on Steam Controller or VR now that is almost ready for shipping. SteamOS is almost abandoned like TF2 so what they are all working on Dota 2 and CSGO?

Obviously not GO as that game hasn't seen a proper update in months :p TF2 is getting MM, so that's a thing. Dota is given. Valve has been contributing to Vulkan too. Source 2. Steam HW post-launch support. Vive post-launch support, R&D for next iteration, demos to see how VR game and tech design works and such. L4D3 in some shape and form, HL3 lol etc

Jawmuncher

There is a character inspired by Jawmuncher in the KoF https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UtzuUWN9zg

Actually Terry turns his cap backwards during a few moves in a few of the game's he's been in ;)

My main hombre going back to the roots
tizok-g-360throw.gif

NEVER
NEVER
in my life did I think me and Jaw would agree on something together.

Really hope KoFXIV finds its way to PC.

It has Dinosaur Representation. It has to come to PC now.
Also the graphics seem to get a little bit better every time. Nothing mind blowing but they'll do.

dex3108

Obviously not GO as that game hasn't seen a proper update in months :p TF2 is getting MM, so that's a thing. Dota is given. Valve has been contributing to Vulkan too. Source 2. Steam HW post-launch support. Vive post-launch support, R&D for next iteration, demos to see how VR game and tech design works and such. L4D3 in some shape and form, HL3 lol etc

In short they are working on everything except games these days :D Valve needs better communication with outside world (we saw that from few departures they they didn't bother to mention at all and Winter Sale cache issue) and they really need some organization inside. But they get 30% from every sold game on Steam so in reality they just don't care anymore and they do whatever they want.

Tizoc

It has Dinosaur Representation. It has to come to PC now.
Also the graphics seem to get a little bit better every time. Nothing mind blowing but they'll do.

I can't get enough of dat Justice Hurricane animation.
Dino Justice Hurricane in 2016
What a time to be alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom