• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not worth having to hide/admit you built a PC with an AMD processor in the last 10 years.
Heh, apart your joking jab, I think it's more common to find an AMD on general value builds with say x50/x60 Nvidia or x70/x80 AMD GPUs. Can't honestly see a meaningful share of AMD CPUs in builds with x70/x80 Nvidia or x90/x90x AMD GPUs. When you already shell out +300 bucks on a GPU, I doubt many would think of anything but i5/i7.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Not worth having to hide/admit you built a PC with an AMD processor in the last 10 years.
VKhgpnn.gif

Tizoc

We continue to live in a world where there does indeed exist a dinosaur themed wrestler titled King of Dinosaurs
24687589580_42dd872d4d_z.jpg

Life couldn't be any better.

I feel bad for my SFV SteamGAF brethren.

Well at least you got some neat outfits.

Don't feel bad for me. I think the game ran me like $40, which I'm fine with, since I wanted to play the beta(s). The game has worked fine for me so far apart a few times when I can't login, but I haven't been in the "SFV time all the time" mode some other GAFers have been.

The story bits seem alright, I guess with hit/miss art from Bengus (I've done 10/16 so far). Survival is essentially the new arcade mode... and I had fight req on while doing it last night and went 2-1 in ranked matches. The only downside to the survival is that they're all 1 round fights, so it gives you less of an "arcade" feeling, but it still works out the same with a bunch of normal fights and then the final round(s) are like boss stages.

And capcom is doing a good job of supporting it and trying to get everything set, so I'm not mad/upset/angry about it in the least so far.

We continue to live in a world where there does indeed exist a dinosaur themed wrestler titled King of Dinosaurs
Life couldn't be any better.

Why did you repost that image?

Phawx

Heh, apart your joking jab, I think it's more common to find an AMD on general value builds with say x50/x60 Nvidia or x70/x80 AMD GPUs. Can't honestly see a meaningful share of AMD CPUs in builds with x70/x80 Nvidia or x90/x90x AMD GPUs. When you already shell out +300 bucks on a GPU, I doubt many would think of anything but i5/i7.

The unfortunate part for AMD is two-fold.

1.) AMD overestimated the 'multi-threaded' future and doubled down on having a pretty weak IPC per 'core'. If you look at single-threaded vs multi-threaded benches it's pretty telling.

2.) Outside of Intel, we've all been on 28nm for a long time. 14nm/16nm stuff for GPUs won't be until the end of this year. AMD's Zen cpu is looking like 2017. And the architecture, as I've read, mimics more of an hyper-threaded design. Meaning your second 'core' is really just the idle time for one of your cores as opposed to being an actual core.

But those two factors when weighed against a gaming machine, you'd always be better served with a dual core high frequency Intel cpu. Value-wise, it was still in Intel's favor.

The unfortunate part for AMD is two-fold.

1.) AMD overestimated the 'multi-threaded' future and doubled down on having a pretty weak IPC per 'core'. If you look at single-threaded vs multi-threaded benches it's pretty telling.

2.) Outside of Intel, we've all been on 28nm for a long time. 14nm/16nm stuff for GPUs won't be until the end of this year. AMD's Zen cpu is looking like 2017. And the architecture, as I've read, mimics more of an hyper-threaded design. Meaning your second 'core' is really just the idle time for one of your cores as opposed to being an actual core.

But those two factors when weighed against a gaming machine, you'd always be better served with a dual core high frequency Intel cpu. Value-wise, it was still in Intel's favor.
That's interesting. Since both consoles have these "weak" multi-core CPUs, maybe there will be some change in future game's on PC utilizing multiple-threads better. But then again, Intel has a big foothold on desktops, can't see much changing unless they adopt it. Fascinating topic.

Dsyndrome

Still need to beat Grim Fandango on my Vita, beating it around the time PS3 came out put a damper on my progress for whatever reason.

Also, tank all the way.

Dsyndrome

Layers of Fear has some weird stuttering, moving with nothing dynamic in the background will at times shoot the framerate from 60 to 30 fps, not to mention the microstutter around everything. Not a deal breaker, but definitely something you think would've been seen in Early Access.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I just got extremely lucky and got a 13 dollar case drop on my first match of the new CS:GO operation. I go to sell it and I'm locked out of the Steam marketplace for using a card they don't recognize - which is the same fucking card I've been using for a year now.

Fuck Steam

I just got extremely lucky and got a 13 dollar case drop on my first match of the new CS:GO operation. I go to sell it and I'm locked out of the Steam marketplace for using a card they don't recognize - which is the same fucking card I've been using for a year now.

Fuck Steam
This is the first operation I won't bother with. The solo matchmaking is a joke right now so I moved on to other games.

Anyone game on a macbook pro retina?
I have mid 2015 macbook pro retina 13inch. i5 8gb ram.

I decided to instal steam on it, and chose to download one of my PC games ( Civ5).
Played for about 1 minute before my unit became extremely hot that I had to close the game down. Won't be going back to it again. I'll stick with my desktop PC from now on.

Teggy

I think I tried at least six times before I beat the fifth mission in Company of Heroes. RTS is by far the genre I want to like but am horrible at. I probably spend more time with the game paused than in real time.

Anyone game on a macbook pro retina?
I have mid 2015 macbook pro retina 13inch. i5 8gb ram.

I decided to instal steam on it, and chose to download one of my PC games ( Civ5).
Played for about 1 minute before my unit became extremely hot that I had to close the game down. Won't be going back to it again. I'll stick with my desktop PC from now on.
My Air gets pretty hot when I'm just trying to stream a game like X-Com Enemy Within so I gave up on trying to game on it.

Fuck Steam

You can verify the card to remove the lock, I believe.

Has it already been talked about how Humble seems to have decreased the amount of time you can increase your payment for a bundle after it ends from 30 days to about a week?

I think so. To be fair, I don't think many people were buying bundles after the fact. It was nice for me the one time I used it (to upgrade a bundle three weeks after it ended), but I can see why they did it.

Messiah

That's kind of bullshit. How do you find you have licensing problems/restrictions on an OST that force you to drastically lower the number of tracks offered and making those tracks remastered just 6 days before release?
Just say you don't want to pay as much as it's asked to license the thing without the bullshit excuse.

The retail version still comes with the OST at least apparently ...

accel

Things like this are always possible, the technique is too low-level to guard against (that's the job of the operating system and it does so via security features - but everyone is an admin de-facto and that's unlikely to change in the near future).

The drawbacks are that there will certainly be issues with loading things that depend on complex initialization, and that when things fail, they fail in bizarre ways.

I only have a high level understanding of this stuff, so don't take my word for it, but think of 'hooks' for things like OBS or nVidia ShadowPlay. If you can inject into a .dll you can 'intercept' calls and manipulate them or redirect them.

So Gedesato, SweetFX, cheatengine, OBS, shadowplay, etc

You inject a DLL (with your code) into a process, not inject "into a DLL". The gist is correct, you do this in order to add functionality to, say, a game, and you do this by hijacking some calls and performing additional processing.

Tizoc

That's kind of bullshit. How do you find you have licensing problems/restrictions on an OST that force you to drastically lower the number of tracks offered and making those tracks remastered just 6 days before release?
Just say you don't want to pay as much as it's asked to license the thing without the bullshit excuse.
Could be a case of miscommunicstion between nis japan and nisa? The tracks are prob not allowed to be made avilable digitally this way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom