• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloke

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

xWBm0BY.png
Rayman Origins (uPlay) -- MB-243867B44A0A4D51 - Taken by nightstorm

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So that Breakneck game looks interesting, but... isn't it basically just a new graphical skin over Race the Sun? The gameplay looks basically identical.

Race the Sun was definitely an influencing title (and I've said to the creators as much), but we also drew from games like Wipeout, Split Second and our other endless runners like Into the Dead. So IMO the way we have positioned the boosts, "turbo" system, leaderboards/ghosts etc skews it towards more of an action racing feel.

That being said, if you've played Race the Sun and thought you'd had enough, then Breakneck might not bring enough new stuff to the table for you. If you played it but wanted something more or different, then Breakneck could be worth a shot.

Breakneck also exists on iOS and Android as a free download, so you can trial it there and see if it is different (and fun!) enough to warrant a (cheap!) premium purchase on desktop.

As it stands, the game is currently in Early Access as among other things we are adding VR support, extending the controller support, adding Big Picture support etc. On top of that, we are taking feedback from the community on what they'd like to see, so if there is a direction you'd like to see it take to add differentiation and value, then we are all ears :)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Lots of really good Steam Controller updates.

Yeah, it looks like the main client finally got a lot of the stuff the beta has had for awhile.

Hopefully others will get the Human 1.0 upgrade that lets them adapt to the controller.

Kriken

So in the time it takes to fight Wesker twice in RE5, Durante fixed Tales of Symphonia? What else is new, lol

With image

Too little Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell. I want to bulk up on each series :(
Not gonna splurge a fiver for Blacklist without knowing what will be BTA secrets either. Shame.

I might be tempted to grab the $15 tier, I only have a few of those games

Fake Edit: Oh neat, I'll grab NFS while I remember it

I'm curious to see how this pans out... it's a very strange concept.
Have you checked out the original prototype? It gives a nice idea of the basic concept. It actually works really well. Kind of like a first-person Hotline Miami if you could pause and plan out your attacks

And these are looking like some really satisfying headshots
BossyIndolentDonkey.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
Honestly, it looks fine. It is primitive, but it has acceptable art direction. However, my point is that integrating such advanced technology would look stupid and ugly. It would also make me question the competency of the technical directors in allowing such overindulgences into the game.

shush

fluffiness is not an indulgence, it's our right!

jokes aside, i also really like the "primitive" aspect of it. league doesn't have many advanced shaders, super high polycounts or opressive post-processing. they don't even motion capture the animations. it's a lot of traditional art done right, just really detailed hand painted textures and key animated characters and they get a ton of mileage out of that

it's sooooooo damn pretty

I just wanted to be clear :D
dumbo

Arthea

I shouldn't have talked about hardware failures earlier today, that was really really bad idea.
Why nothing can work for longer than half a year, why?

What was that steam update? I can't access like half of community, some boards for example
Anybody else with this problem?
I also noticed another bug that it's already rather old, some messages appear only in browser but not in a client, I mean notifications of messages, I miss a lot of those, or so it would seem, especially if community is malfunctioning or going down.

Still have to scroll down to get to the search field. How stupid is that?

extremely, even more stupid no search for badge pages at all
I dare valve to find a particular badge in there

Dr Dogg

I'm basing this on Anandtech article, which clearly shows bad things beginning to happen to Random Writes performance with lower free space (for Samsung SSDs at least)

You're basing it on an article that is just over 3 years old and when SSD sizes were commonly a lot smaller than they are today. Things have moved on and while if you fill any drive up you're going to choke performance out of them that is precisely why practically every manufacturer over provision their drives out of the box so the have room to play with and so TRIM can do it's magic and help keep performance up (Samsung even let's you toy with it via Magician). You're not seriously recommending someone with a 1TB SSD to leave 50% of it unchecked are you? Based on an out of date article with smaller drive sizes when you'd probably only need 10-15gb of space provisioned?

zkylon

zkylewd
actually uplay is a lot less shit nowadays

still kinda bad, but better than before

i still think origin is the best client, i wish steam ran as well and looked as clean as origin did

data

Remember when Amnesia: Memories was 90% off?

I bought it thinking it was the VN version of Tasogare Amnesia.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Bravo for Valve updating the market page without breaking any of their existing layout details. Surprisingly, every feature of Enhanced Steam on that page appears to still be working correctly.

I'd love to know if that was intentional or just some sort of quirky coincidence.

Tesseract

Banned
I sent an email to AMD to redeem my dirt rally voucher, and they haven't responded to me in over a week. What the hell, man.

Whoa whoa, wait a minute. What happened when I was sleeping? Durante saved us yet again?
After finishing up the article, I wondered how long this would take. The answer is 14 minutes.

screenshot_2016-02-02x3ucz.png

screenshot_2016-02-02bfuz0.png

screenshot_2016-02-02h7uj0.png

screenshot_2016-02-02exudp.png

It seems to be fine from initial testing in all scenarios of the game, including cutscenes, exploration, skits and battles. Videos are broken, would probably require another 15 minutes to fix. No wonder B-N couldn't bother.
All hail Durante.

oipic

actually uplay is a lot less shit nowadays

still kinda bad, but better than before

i still think origin is the best client, i wish steam ran as well and looked as clean as origin did

The only issue I have with Uplay these days is that it's not Steam. :/

I seem to have a pretty stable experience with it, but, yknow, being so invested in Steam as we all are, buying anything that isn't on Steam still sits awkwardly. Likewise with Origin, I suppose.

Maniac

Banned

No expired For Honor? Pfft, for shame!

Come at me bruv

Also Firewatch's price is delicious. Definitely gonna buy it. Just gotta figure out if I want the soundtrack edition or not... Hm. I should find a Canadian or a Norwegian to buy it for me. Dem regional prices. Mmm-mmm.

Knurek

You're basing it on an article that is just over 3 years old and when SSD sizes were commonly a lot smaller than they are today.

It uses 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro as a basis for tests.
I personally use 256 GB Samsung 840 EVO.
How is that article not relevant to my experience?

I sent an email to AMD to redeem my dirt rally voucher, and they haven't responded to me in over a week. What the hell, man.

Was it from the Newegg price error by any chance? If so, they've caught on and unless you provide photographic proof of the voucher, they're going to decline. That's what happened to me.

Maniac

Banned
It uses 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro as a basis for tests.
I personally use 256 GB Samsung 840 EVO.
How is that article not relevant to my experience?

Have you updated your soft & firmware and activated... Eh, what's it called... SMART?

It's fucking magic I tellsya.

zkylon

zkylewd

I seem to have a pretty stable experience with it, but, yknow, being so invested in Steam as we all are, buying anything that isn't on Steam still sits awkwardly. Likewise with Origin, I suppose.
yeah, i guess it's unfair to say it's kinda bad since i haven't had any problems with it last time i used it

I'm booting up multiple game clients anyway so having my games separated doesn't really bother me.

I like how clean Origin is. Steam is getting a little too bloated.

Monooboe

Alright, first puzzle in Witness that makes me want to give up on life.T_T
the color elevator.

But damn such an amazing game. I'm legit blownaway, I'm glad I avoided everything about it before playing so it was such a surprise.

Arthea

I went to take screenshot of that plugin "not working" message and suddenly it's working, complaining on gaf still works.

edited: why are you even arguing about SSD, keeping any hard disk full is very bad idea, that's common sense, and also scratch disk/page and temp files caused problems should have taught everybody not to do so in the first place.

Phawx

This is old news, but it's new to me. There is an experimental build of Dolphin that lets you use DX12 backend. Lots of games show 40-50% speed improvement if they are gfx intensive.

Me gusto.

zkylon

zkylewd
This is old news, but it's new to me. There is an experimental build of Dolphin that lets you use DX12 backend. Lots of games show 40-50% speed improvement if they are gfx intensive.

Me gusto.

whoa that's awesome

i really should buy some rechargable batteries (so expensive tho) and play metroid prime 2&3 and galaxy and all those other wii games i want to play

The only issue I have with uplay is that stupid pop-up every time I close a damn game

And its existance

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Hero Prinny, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
capsule_231x87.jpg

Disgaea PC -- MB-B95B509E30C8B27E - Taken by Endruen

t1454457816z1.png
final reminder, less than 5 minutes. #SAVE THE MOTHER FUCKING PRINNIES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom