• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susurrus

Only wanted Awesomenauts.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Susurrus:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1178513.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Susurrus, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Heroes & Generals (Early Access) -- MB-75AE56D8DC084249
Stronghold Kingdoms - Humble Kingmaker Bundle -- MB-4C7E6DBB105788A6
Curse Premium 30-day subscription -- MB-B180F86BE8B57D7B
Dirty Bomb - Ultimate Starter Pack -- MB-9C2982B837AD4B12 - Taken by Kurt Russell
WildStar - Jumpstart Pack -- MB-2139AC12D296EE5A - Taken by Couchaddict

zkylon

zkylewd
Sure but there is still question what is better, bigger user base or money? In this case we can't compare it directly because Jonathan Blow already has audience but Campo Santo is new. I am not saying that one is better than the other i just want to start conversation and hear your opinions :D

i think jonathan blow wanted his game to be played by a particular subset of people which is why he marketed and priced his game as such

i don't agree with that way of thinking as i think games should be made accessible for as many ppl as possible (as in, don't put shit in ur game that's not solvable by the colorblind or hearing impaired) but u know, he set a goal and he achieved it

that hp envy deal on gaming side is fucking with my brain

do I really need an amazing rig? no

do I want one? yes

do I have the money to spend? yes

would I feel good about spending that money? no
When it comes and works immediately eBay the extra parts from your old rig. It'll lessen the cost and reduce redundancy. My hobby purchases mostly go like that and it makes me feel better about it.

Lomax

I don't believe this to be true, aside of Apple I yet to see anything to be popular and sell gangbusters if it's expensive.
I'm still not sure how Apple is doing this, looks like magic to me, as it defies logic, common sense and how humans act in general.

I'm talking about digital games, not physical goods. We all know within three years both games will be bundled. And we know over time there will be deals. So by starting higher, it has more long term potential, so long as it makes enough in the beginning (which we know it has). Now if The Witness had sold 10k copies, we'd be having a different discussion. But the idea it would be a million seller of it had been $20 is silly. And a fair comparison can't be made after a month.

Teggy

(as in, don't put shit in ur game that's not solvable by the colorblind or hearing impaired) but u know, he set a goal and he achieved it

They've talked a lot about this on GiantBomb and it's really tough topic. But in the end I can't get behind the idea of telling a developer with an interesting idea for a puzzle that they can't put it in their game because a minority of people won't be able to solve it. He sort of handled it by making the game completable (although not 100%) without those puzzles, but I can't really think of a great way to do it, outside of putting a "win" button in the area that anyone can use.

If you can sell successfully for more, you always should. The Witness can be 50% off in the winter sale at $20. Come back in two years and we'll see how it turns out. This isn't consoles where only the first two months matter. Personally after hearing impressions, Firewatch is definitely a bundle game for me and The Witness I'd probably get for $5. But I'm cheap and don't mind waiting.

I don't know that only "the first two months" matter for consoles anymore. It's not like the console space is ignorant of digital discounts and the like. Even retail copies in recent years have received quick discounts and can be found cheaply after the fact.

The only real difference now between consoles and Steam should be that there is a subset of console retail titles that can screw the publisher/developer out of sales because of the used market.

I wouldn't say that Firewatch got lukewarm reception. The Witness has 84% Positive ratings on Steam from 1400 users and Firewatch has 82% from almost 8500 users. And sure The Witness could get more money from sales but it also depends how much it will be discounted, or will it be discounted before Winter Sale for example.

That's surprising.

I wonder what the sales numbers for Firewatch looked like without the refunds (not sure how many people from the thread on gaming side actually did that, or how much of the whole they represent).

Also worth noting that they can't leave reviews if it's refunded. Also that people who thought the game was alright but not worth buying at launch after playing it (yo!) don't really care enough to leave a negative review to try to educate people on the fence. Those reviews just get downvoted to hell by people who like the game, so they never get scene in the first place.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh yeah, would love to have it on Steam. I really liked that game . It was Medal of Honor+Sniper Elite +Hitman

I e-mailed Merge's product manager and stressed the fact that since the game was available on Steam under Digital Game Factory, Merge can simply request access to the app and make it available again, thereby bypassing any heavy lifting. Fingers crossed.

I'm more interested in The Witness as a gaming curiosity but Firewatch is the one of the two i really want to play. The pedigree of the folks behind Firewatch is a big draw
as well as the short play time

I don't see why this Hitman is very demanding game. There have been much betetr looking games and and less demanding.

it's likely an old build just being used for network testing. I wouldn't put too much into how it performs now, especially given that drivers haven't been optimized for it yet.

Haven't played the Beta yet, but the latest Nvidia GameReady driver already included optimizations for the Hitman Beta.

i need to start looking these things up lol

regardless, IO deserves the benefit of the doubt. They've never fucked up when putting their stuff out on PC.

Vuze

it's likely an old build just being used for network testing. I wouldn't put too much into how it performs now, especially given that drivers haven't been optimized for it yet.
Haven't played the Beta yet, but the latest Nvidia GameReady driver already included optimizations for the Hitman Beta.

M.D

Is Civ V known for high CPU usage or something? I still haven't replaced the fan that came with my CPU and games like The Witcher 3 can push it up to 80C, but I don't feel like a game like Civ should do the same? GPU temp is normal at 55C

Well, can't be that (as in what I said), then, since I have a Ti myself and nothing is restricted. Chalk it up "Just one of those things (that shouldn't be happening)".

Yeah, it's not.
PLASTICA-MAN just didn't read everything, I think. The same guy who said he had a 980TI and it was greyed out posted another comment immediately after his last one saying this:

[–]
Death_by_pony 0 points 46 minutes ago
Oh okay, I got it. In the launcher I can't change it but in game I'm able to with a 980 TI

Timestamps on my local machine put the post at about 1:17pm EST. PLASTICA-MAN linked the reddit thread @ 1:25PM.

zkylon

zkylewd
They've talked a lot about this on GiantBomb and it's really tough topic. But in the end I can't get behind the idea of telling a developer with an interesting idea for a puzzle that they can't put it in their game because a minority of people won't be able to solve it. He sort of handled it by making the game completable (although not 100%) without those puzzles, but I can't really think of a great way to do it, outside of putting a "win" button in the area that anyone can use.
using different sets of colors, using shapes and patterns and sounds, etc.

jonathan blow is way smarter than me, i'm sure he could consider it a challenge and find a good way to make everyone happy

Ozium

Oh boy, can't wait for Kojima to work on his new ambitious project for 8 years, release it unfinished and filled with terrible open world level design and uninteresting bloat.

and then get praised and fellated on message boards and told how much of a "genius" he is

Adry9

Been playing the Hitman Beta and performance is all over the place. I know it is an old build but the scenarios are also really small compared to Paris, and this games suffers a lot when you double the characters on screen. I think I'll wait a couple of days after release to see how it performs.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wAkvM-rttM

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BinaryPork2737, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tokyo Hosto -- MB-7B5D82AB01CE14E4 - Taken by DaBargainHunta. 3 entrants total.
Always the Same Blue Sky -- MB-3C7EDF6F9DCBE2DC - Taken by Annubis. 4 entrants total.
Blue Rose -- MB-01557F14F8DD6E45 - Taken by longlivegaming. 1 entrants total.
Shan Gui -- MB-9AB93F4349762EBE - Taken by Ventara. 3 entrants total.
Orion: A Sci-Fi Visual Novel -- MB-B7BD931985013BCA - Taken by A Fish Aficionado. 3 entrants total.
Divine Slice of Life -- MB-82994E03BEA28D10 - Taken by Kifimbo. 5 entrants total.
Beach Bounce -- MB-C5FEB8742F8A53EF - Taken by dot. 4 entrants total.

t1455910018z1.png

holygeesus

Banned
Any idea why Steam in Big Picture Mode only recognises my 980ti as having 3GB of memory? Does anyone else with this card have this?

I don't really want to get into a whole thing with this, but I just don't think any of that flies honestly.
What a character identifies as in this case doesn't really matter to me (think Naoto in P4), as it just comes off as mishandled stab at injecting ~gender confusion~ regardless. Like, it's super common for trans folk to be regarded as cross-dressers in popular media so I just can't look at this and go "Oh it's ok they only murdered someone dressing as a girl, not a transgirl!" And even then using the whole thing as this ~sick twist~ is very tired and shitty.

If you want to call it a wasted opportunity, that's fair, but
calling it "transphobic" perpetuates the idea that cis men can't be feminine, which was the whole point of Chihiro's story in the first place due to Japan's more strict gender roles. It's the same with Naoto. Their stories are very much meant to be social commentaries, not exploitative.

Teggy

jonathan blow is way smarter than me, i'm sure he could consider it a challenge and find a good way to make everyone happy

Well, I mean, you can't put a sound puzzle in a game that deaf people will be able to solve.

Well, I mean, you can't put a sound puzzle in a game that deaf people will be able to solve.

Hell, you can't put a sound puzzle in a game that tone deaf people will be able to solve. (I'm looking at you, Year Walk.)

and then get praised and fellated on message boards and told how much of a "genius" he is

Saw this quoted further down the page and having seen talk of The Witness and Firewatch, I thought it was about Jonathan Blow. :lol

Using different sets of colors? How would that help?

Also if you look at the Giant Bomb interview thing you'll quickly see why he didn't make it easier for colorblind people or just made it different in general. Using shapes and patterns would make it too easy, and of course, would make it a whole new kind of puzzle.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, it's not.
PLASTICA-MAN just didn't read everything, I think. The same guy who said he had a 980TI and it was greyed out posted another comment immediately after his last one saying this:

Timestamps on my local machine put the post at about 1:17pm EST. PLASTICA-MAN linked the reddit thread @ 1:25PM.

Ah, so at least to some extent the issue is that the launcher is a bit screwy.

Any idea why Steam in Big Picture Mode only recognises my 980ti as having 3GB of memory? Does anyone else with this card have this?

BPM reports 6GB for me. If you have your IGP installed, it might be reading that info instead.

Teggy

I think the idea would be to make sure that you don't put red and green together, but there are many different kinds of colorblindness. I know some games offer multiple color schemes for different types of colorblindness. However I can recall puzzles in the Witness where even that wouldn't help.

I think the idea would be to make sure that you don't put red and green together, but there are many different kinds of colorblindness. I know some games offer multiple color schemes for different types of colorblindness. However I can recall puzzles in the Witness where even that wouldn't help.

i don't know how colors work in the witness but some other games have made the colors have different features to them in colorblind mode.

For example, green would have a striped pattern and red wouldn't.

Ludens

Banned
Been playing the Hitman Beta and performance is all over the place. I know it is an old build but the scenarios are also really small compared to Paris, and this games suffers a lot when you double the characters on screen. I think I'll wait a couple of days after release to see how it performs.

Just completed it. The game itself is simply Absolution 2.0, but I'm ok with it, because I loved Absolution.
During the "test" the game told me to perform several actions, but I just went to the target, killed him with a wrench and going away unnoticed without killing other people.

The performance is just horrible, here (4770, 8 gb and a 970).

If you want to call it a wasted opportunity, that's fair, but
calling it "transphobic" perpetuates the idea that cis men can't be feminine, which was the whole point of Chihiro's story in the first place due to Japan's more strict gender roles. It's the same with Naoto. Their stories are very much meant to be social commentaries, not exploitative.

Except
it's not about a cis boy being feminine; it's explicitly about a boy pretending to be a girl. Framing these problematizations of gender in this way reinforces the notion that people who, going by the game's logic, "suffer" from this vague ~gender confusion~ are liars who are hiding their "true identity." Just because a video game is exploring masculinity (specifically, its frailty and toxicity), doesn't mean it's doing it well. Especially since iirc the way the arc ends is basically just "you can still be a Man even if you're feminine," which is just...not good.

dot

get this unfinished piece of trash off my hands pls

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Beta: This giveaway is a trivia giveaway. In your PM, include BOTH the ModBot code for the game you want AND the answer to the trivia question on the same line separated by a space. Capitalization and punctuation are not important. Here is a visual example of how to format your ModBot PM
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (dot, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Street Fighter V -- MB-0004B7DF37800B90 - Taken by Leafhopper. 9 entrants total. Trivia Question: Who is my favorite member in the kpop group Lovelyz?

t1455911457z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Any word on when FF9 will be released?

Internally it looks like it's set for release sometime between Feb 26th and 29th, so probably some time between those dates.

Of course, it could get pushed back again.

zkylon

zkylewd
i wonder if you couldn't just use visual cues for some of that stuff to help deaf ppl

or more sound options so that ppl that have hearing difficulties could play with the volumes until they find something that they like

Also if you look at the Giant Bomb interview thing you'll quickly see why he didn't make it easier for colorblind people or just made it different in general. Using shapes and patterns would make it too easy, and of course, would make it a whole new kind of puzzle.
from what you're saying i'm guessing there's some sort of color combine puzzle going on?

it's a huge game, haven't seen every kind of puzzle yet

the puzzle i've found so far that i imagine could be a massive headache for colorblind ppl were some colored stars things that look like the papyrus puzzle from undertale

Ludens

Banned
I admit he's done some good stuff, but he's kinda fallen off after the stuff seen in MGS4 and 5.

MGSIV was ok for me, yes there's a lot of unneeded fan service, but nothing compared to Quiet.
The plot was impossible to understand for non-MGS fans, but the game was solid and I liked it a lot.
He really dropped the ball with Peace Walker plot, that was a mess (plot relating).
The funny thing is, some of that stuff is also in MGSV, but it's like...a reference?
I mean,
the AI stuff was the base of PW, in MGSV there's the boss AI but it's used in TWO scenes and it's pretty much useless if not to hint about the fate of Strangelove. Yeah, he passed months fighting those AI in PW, but in MGSV he recovers the boss AI ONLY when someone tells him to do so.

MGSV is great, stealth related, but it's poor in other important aspect, like the plot, variation of enviroments, boring and repetitive tasks you are forced to do. I enjoyed it a lot, but only because I needed another huge stealth game and I love MGS. Excluding this, broken promises everywhere.
Ground Zeroes is a so much better product than TPP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom