• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Isn't this apples to oranges since The Witness and Firewatch are different genres? One's hardcore puzzle, the other more adventure.

MUnited83

For you.
So SteamGAF when we compare The Witness release and Firewatch release what is better?

In 24 days The Witness is sold in around 82K copies on Steam.

In 10 days Firewatch sold in around 187K copies on Steam.

The Witness was priced 40$ and Firewatch was priced 20$.

Now The Witness is much, much bigger/longer game but when we look at those numbers it looks like that Firewatch made more money in less days and gained much bigger user base for future games made by this studio. Do we still think that price doesn't matter that much? Would The Witness earned more money if it was priced for example 30$? What is your opinion SteamGAF?
Well, you have to consider that The Witness will get higher sales when it gets discounted while still being more expensive than Firewatch. Match with if the lukewarm reception to Firewatch, and I have no doubts The Witness will make more money and even sell more units in the end.

Ludens

Banned
Kojima is insane.

I wonder how long it will be before Sony execs start getting sweaty palms. The guy is a mad man.

I won't fall for this again. TPP was the biggest case of hype machine I ever seen, and it led to nothing. A lot of broken promises, that's it.
Yeah, I liked the core of the game, stealth is top notch.
But the plot is awful and there's nothing of what happeared in the trailers or interviews.
So no, thanks, I will buy the game for sure because it would be a lie saying I'm not interested in another Kojima's game.
But I will approch it with zero expectations, so I won't get hurt like happened with TPP.

Elliot Quest is fun. Getting more and more items and skills is done well but I'm lost at where to go.

Did they added the option to rebind buttons?
I tried to play it but couldn't because I'm not ok with the current 360 button mapping.

Pachimari

Is Danganronpa like a VN? I really don't know what to expect honestly. Maybe it's main content are the conversations, with a few mini games in between?

Elliot Quest is fun. Getting more and more items and skills is done well but I'm lost at where to go. Just got the whirlwind spell and landed on the southern portion of the map. Most places I can't advance and I have no more bombs to try them out.
Did they added the option to rebind buttons?
I tried to play it but couldn't because I'm not ok with the current 360 button mapping.
I haven't seen such an option.

Lomax

So SteamGAF when we compare The Witness release and Firewatch release what is better?

Now The Witness is much, much bigger/longer game but when we look at those numbers it looks like that Firewatch made more money in less days and gained much bigger user base for future games made by this studio. Do we still think that price doesn't matter that much? Would The Witness earned more money if it was priced for example 30$? What is your opinion SteamGAF?

If you can sell successfully for more, you always should. The Witness can be 50% off in the winter sale at $20. Come back in two years and we'll see how it turns out. This isn't consoles where only the first two months matter. Personally after hearing impressions, Firewatch is definitely a bundle game for me and The Witness I'd probably get for $5. But I'm cheap and don't mind waiting.

dex3108

Well, you have to consider that The Witness will get higher sales when it gets discounted while still being more expensive than Firewatch. Match with if the lukewarm reception to Firewatch, and I have no doubts The Witness will make more money and even sell more units in the end.

I wouldn't say that Firewatch got lukewarm reception. The Witness has 84% Positive ratings on Steam from 1400 users and Firewatch has 82% from almost 8500 users. And sure The Witness could get more money from sales but it also depends how much it will be discounted, or will it be discounted before Winter Sale for example.

r3n4ud

I'll be working all weekend so won't have time to enjoy this. Hope you folks have fun!

ModBot said:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Hitman beta #2 -- MB-60395D8773A22CDC - Taken by Eila
Hitman beta -- MB-627B377DDC5ED6D1 - Taken by dex3108

dex3108

TF2 Competitive Beta -- The Plan

Hello from the TF2 team, and thanks for joining the TF2 competitive beta group! We hope you're all ready to start killing each other for points as we get this mode up on its feet.

We know you'd all like to start testing now, and eventually we hope all of you WILL get a chance to play and share your thoughts. But remember that all testing happens in stages, and right now we're at stage one.

Our plan is to start small and increase participation as we go. For this initial phase of testing - which will begin in the next week or so - we'll be gradually granting random members from this group an in-game item called a Competitive Matchmaking Beta Pass. Once you've been granted a pass you will have ongoing access to the beta.

In addition, we will begin holding both announced and unannounced stress-test events, inviting many group members to participate for the duration of the event to test our systems. Group members selected for stress-tests won't require a pass to play for the duration of the event.

Whether we randomly select you for stress testing or grant you a pass, we will prioritize group members that meet the following requirements:

Have either purchased a copy of Team Fortress 2 prior to June 23, 2011, or have made a purchase from the Mann Co. Store. (AKA premium accounts)
Have Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator enabled. ( https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8625-WRAH-9030 )
Have a phone number associated with your Steam account ( https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8625-WRAH-9030#addphone )

Thanks again for your interest and support.

Do you guys think Humble Monthly has lowered the quality of the other Humble Bundles? Seems like it to me.

Not really. People think every 2 weeks they should get an AAA-bundle. I mean when HumbleBundle started there were like 2-3 bundles each year. Nothing more.

Now we have like 30-40 bundles each year and I think still good bundles.
The weekly bundle is great if you dont have these games.

Most people just complain because they already have these games and say the bundles have become shit, when actually there are far more bundles now and people already have a lot of games in those.

Arthea

it depends, I'm pretty sure it sold more if it was $20 game but about making it more money I'm not so sure, it's a puzzle game and those usually don't sell that amazing especially day one.
While Firewatch is what? walking sim-survival- adventure of something? It would have sold more regardless, not that I understand why it is so, but it is.

SSPssp

Most people just complain because they already have these games and say the bundles have become shit, when actually there are far more bundles now and people already have a lot of games in those.

Theres a lot of truth to that, but I think that pricing has become higher for sure. Humble used to cost less.

FloatOn

that hp envy deal on gaming side is fucking with my brain

do I really need an amazing rig? no

do I want one? yes

do I have the money to spend? yes

would I feel good about spending that money? no

Arthea

If you can sell successfully for more, you always should. The Witness can be 50% off in the winter sale at $20. Come back in two years and we'll see how it turns out. This isn't consoles where only the first two months matter. Personally after hearing impressions, Firewatch is definitely a bundle game for me and The Witness I'd probably get for $5. But I'm cheap and don't mind waiting.

I don't believe this to be true, aside of Apple I yet to see anything to be popular and sell gangbusters if it's expensive.
I'm still not sure how Apple is doing this, looks like magic to me, as it defies logic, common sense and how humans act in general.

Lain

Just got an update for Commandos 2, and it's downloading 1.4GB of data. I got curious why it was such a huge update (the updates to all games yesterday were much smaller):

Commandos Update for Modern Computers
Community Announcements - James

Hi Everyone,

UPDATE - You can now access the old build via the "Legacy Version" launch option

Thank you all for your continued support for the Commandos series, we appreciate all the feedback we have received. We have heard all of your concerns and took them on board.

With that, we have an announcement, all of the Commandos games should now run on systems up to and including Windows 10. Significant changes have been made to the code in order to make each of the games run correctly on modern machines.

Changelog for Commandos 2: Men of Courage
Videos not loading bug fix.
Fix for the game going slower than it should.
Bug with the "comm2.exe" executable fixed.
Performance problems fixed
Compatibility issues with modern hardware fixed.
New, higher resolution settings (1280x720)
Minor bug fixes.

We all hope you enjoy the update, and thanks again for all of your support!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just got an update for Commandos 2, and it's downloading 1.4GB of data. I got curious why it was such a huge update (the updates to all games yesterday were much smaller):

I wish Merge would put Strike Force back up on Steam.

Dang, Man. Ronda! is a very poorly written game that relies on super contrived twists and bad attempts at humor to distract you from its poorly developed characters. And one of the 'case twists' is
hella transphobic

Arthea

that hp envy deal on gaming side is fucking with my brain

do I really need an amazing rig? no

do I want one? yes

do I have the money to spend? yes

would I feel good about spending that money? no

I envy all hardware deals because there are none worth mentioning here ever and I never had funds for newest and the best out there to being with and I work more or less all my life.
What's not to understand?
You don't feel good about spending money? I don't feel good about being in position most needing in those deals and never getting them. Kindly imagine that, you'll understand easily.
Then again, when I think about it, I wouldn't call that envy anymore, I'm so used to it, it's more like mild annoyance at unfairness of it all.

*insert infamous Orth's words here*

zkylon

zkylewd

if u wanna have math fun also note that firewatch had preorder discounts while the witness did not

the witness sells at a fair price, pillars of eternity is 40 bucks, wasteland 2 is 40, it's just a reasonable price for the amount of content and the quality of it

these games will have legs and be discussed for years, they don't need to sell for less just to make more money right now

Ventara

Wow. That's very awesome of them to support such an old game like this. And they're all very amazing games. One of my favourite RTS series right up there with AOE/M.

dex3108

if u wanna have math fun also note that firewatch had preorder discounts while the witness did not

the witness sells at a fair price, pillars of eternity is 40 bucks, wasteland 2 is 40, it's just a reasonable price for the amount of content and the quality of it

these games will have legs and be discussed for years, they don't need to sell for less just to make more money right now

Sure but there is still question what is better, bigger user base or money? In this case we can't compare it directly because Jonathan Blow already has audience but Campo Santo is new. I am not saying that one is better than the other i just want to start conversation and hear your opinions :D

And one of the 'case twists' is
hella transphobic

It's not. (Early case spoilers)
Chihiro was a cross-dresser, not transgender. He still identified as male, but felt the need to pretend to be female because of perceived gender roles. That's why he tried to become more manly, so he could have his secret revealed with no regrets. And the asshole antagonist calling him a weirdo for it definitely isn't meant to be taken at face value.

AHA-Lambda

Hmm, really conflicted on Division.

Having played the beta twice now, it's surpassed my inital low expectations and I'm quite intrigued, and a big part of it is probably cos I've not played a good cover based shooter with a while, and can't remember last time I played one that was also an open world RPG.

But I'm not sure how much solo content there is. This is Ubisoft's Destiny and that scares me =/
If there isn't enough worthwhile solo content then it's not going to be worth it for me.

It's not. (Early case spoilers)
Chihiro was a cross-dresser, not transgender. He still identified as male, but felt the need to pretend to be female because of perceived gender roles. That's why he tried to become more manly, so he could have his secret revealed with no regrets. And the asshole antagonist calling him a weirdo for it definitely isn't meant to be taken at face value.

I don't really want to get into a whole thing with this, but I just don't think any of that flies honestly.
What a character identifies as in this case doesn't really matter to me (think Naoto in P4), as it just comes off as mishandled stab at injecting ~gender confusion~ regardless. Like, it's super common for trans folk to be regarded as cross-dressers in popular media so I just can't look at this and go "Oh it's ok they only murdered someone dressing as a girl, not a transgirl!" And even then using the whole thing as this ~sick twist~ is very tired and shitty.

contacted the e-mail that was in that confirmation thing from Sega yesterday...I doubt anything comes of it but was worth a try

you can't even sign up anymore and get a code (says "all the spoils of war have been looted")

Kojima is insane.

I wonder how long it will be before Sony execs start getting sweaty palms. The guy is a mad man.

It shouldn't cost as much or take as long as MGSV thanks to a couple of factors.

For one, Sony isn't going to let Kojima sit around for years fucking around making a new engine. It already appears that Kojima has been looking at engine solutions so that should shave off like 2-3 years of him fiddling around.

Also, if he does do another open-worldish game then he's already gone through the teething process for that with MGSV, too. A lot of development is trying to either implement or alter designs as you go to fit the game you wish to produce. He's made a pretty good open world game already so the hopes would be that if he went that direction again a lot of the puzzling and challenging parts of learning how to design a game like that have already been answered.

I have hopes that Sony isn't going to let Kojima pull a TLG with this and that maybe we'll get something in like 3 years out of kojipro

contacted the e-mail that was in that confirmation thing from Sega yesterday...I doubt anything comes of it but was worth a try

you can't even sign up anymore and get a code (says "all the spoils of war have been looted")

they're probably swamped. Give them time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom