• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khronico

Speaking of console gamers, do you think a Normal difficulty run through Pillars is doable for someone like me, who played mostly (piss easy) JRPGs and who's only cRPG experience so far has been Witcher 2/3, Mass Effect trilogy and M&MX: Legacy? Or should I stick to Easy or Story Mode?

(I mean, not really the only cRPG experience, but close enough)

There's specific points where Pillars' difficulty spikes like crazy but overall it's pretty moderate (I played on easy but the only difference between easy and normal is encounter sizes IIRC). It's definitely doable as long as you play smart and learn the nuances of the combat system.

You're joking but Tearaway would be the least shocking to come to PC seeing its "success".

Haha, more like "that is an awful broad question no one knows how to tackle" ;)

I'm kb/m 4 lyfe... until I'm not for a few games

Heh yeah, but I'm not sure if it's such a broad question though. There are very few (esp. multiplatform) games with great kb+m implementation, if you ask me. I mean sure, exclusive PC-games often do, but even then I feel it's pretty standard and probably designed with a controller in mind anyway.

Khronico

yeah there were a lot of cool animated sequences and it looked hella cool

but everyone hated it lol

DC could make a good action game tho, not sure why it hasn't happened yet

DC2 was basically that.

Heck, I wouldn't mind a small, downloadable DC game in the vein of DC2, that game still holds up really well.

Heh yeah, but I'm not sure if it's such a broad question though. There are very few (esp. multiplatform) games with great kb+m implementation, if you ask me. I mean sure, exclusive PC-games often do, but even then I feel it's pretty standard and probably designed with a controller in mind anyway.
What does "great kb/m implementation" actually mean?

Anteater

DC2 was basically that.

Heck, I wouldn't mind a small, downloadable DC game in the vein of DC2, that game still holds up really well.

DC was actually pretty actiony wasn't it, it was the first RE-like game with move and shoot at the same time

I don't really remember the difference between 1 and 2 :(

Jawmuncher

DC was actually pretty actiony wasn't it, it was the first RE-like game with move and shoot at the same time

I don't really remember the difference between 1 and 2 :(

You can't move in and shoot in DC1, but you can have your gun drawn. DC2 has move and shoot and is straight action. DC1 really doesn't compare even on easy to it in that regard.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Dino Crisis could be done in a small budget following the style of DC1&2. Without Pre-rendered backgrounds to worry about and depending where the game is set a lot of simple recoloring and recycling should work for it and still create and enjoyable game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
so can a mod please tell me what is off topic here? and/or considered thread derailing?

I hope this helps:
- The point of the thread is Steam. You can tell that because the title of the thread starts with Steam.
- Things related to Steam are related to Steam. Examples of this are things related to Steam. You can tell because they typically involve the word Steam.
- Things less related to Steam are less related to Steam. Examples of this are PC-gaming or console gaming related things that have some connection to Steam or might be of interest to the thread's audience.
- Things not related to Steam are not related to Steam. Examples of this are posters reviews of the newest Star Wars film.
- It's probably reasonable for people to occasionally mention non-Steam games they've played, or games not on Steam that could be. It probably shouldn't be the focus of the thread for multiple pages at a time.
- If you want an IRC channel, you can create an IRC channel. Then you'll have an IRC channel.
- If you want to talk about something that's plainly not Steam related, there's probably somewhere else on the site to talk about it.
- If you don't like the rest of the site, no one asked you to be here.
- The worry is not individual posts or individual remarks in individual posts. There's no harm in mentioning something not Steam related. The worry is when the thread is off the rails completely. A good way to prevent this is that if you see someone going off the rails, don't indulge them. A good way to deal with persistent zero-content posters is to add them to your ignore list.
- Mostly people aren't trying to be jerks, so polite reminders that the thread is a bit off the rails are OK. Impolite reminders are probably not useful. Insults are against the rules like they've always been for the last 12 years of NeoGAF.

Anteater

You can't move in and shoot in DC1, but you can have your gun drawn. DC2 has move and shoot and is straight action. DC1 really doesn't compare even on easy to it in that regard.

hmm I see

I remember holding my gun out and back stepping in DC1, it's been so long since the psx days!

76299-360dpad.jpg

w9sBFfl.gif
This.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure about the Enhanced Edition, but vanilla Original Sin did only give the host a save file. I found this out the hard way after my co-op buddy's laptop died while we were 30+ hours in, and it took our progress with it.

Thanks very much :) I'll suggest to my friend about keeping the save on his PC and letting his host, might put him off regardless but thanks for letting me know.

I'm not feeling Elliot Quest. Gave it a fair try for several hours. No indication where to go next, or at least which places I can't continue with my current skills. Progression is slow. Music is catchy and nice though, also liking the minimalistic pixel art. Might play it for 30-60mins a day.

Arthea

is it me or there is no longer possible to get MWNL third prize, redeem does nothing for me, like it's not active anymore or something?

Parsnip

Finally got back into The Witness.
Something like 300 puzzles completed.

is it me or there is no longer possible to get MWNL third prize, redeem does nothing for me, like it's not active anymore or something?

Seems like the third prize uses the same redeem list as the second prize, since when I tried it, I got a 'hey, you already did that you doofus'.
The Dawn of War II dlc is a separate redeem list.

Just finished Binary Domain, overall it was really good. I felt like some of the bosses dragged on a little bit and the camera was really sensitive and I could not find a way to change it (I may have just missed it though so that point might be moot).

It's definitely worth a play if you got it free in the recent bundle. Shame it seems like a sequel is never going to happen.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I played a few hours of Cities: Skylines earlier today because it's been on my wishlist for a long while and it's currently free so I thought I'd check it out for myself.

The game is a pretty legitimate city-builder, and it took a while to learn exactly what all the different things did. I've played a lot of SimCity over the years so I started out with a pretty solid understanding, so it didn't take as long to get up to speed as someone starting fresh into the genre.

I liked the game, and I thought the graphics were pretty and the buildings detailed. I like how the buildings "level up" due to a variety of factors, and there is a ton of variety in what can be built. The city simulation stuff gets pretty detailed...

which leads me to my biggest "con". The city simulation stuff gets pretty detailed... in a hurry. Before too long I had thousands of citizens that all seemed to have wanted a bunch of different stuff - I always felt like there was a constant push to expand (which is good) without bringing in the kind of revenue I needed to support those extra services. Before too long I was taking out loans to build a hospital only to have it sink me in operational costs, having to shut it down to generate enough revenue to pay off the loan.

I think it boils down to the fact that I'm just not that good of a city manager. I know a lot of people love playing and tweaking all the little settings though so I know this game probably has a pretty big audience, I just don't know if it's the right game for me.

Just got back andd
1) Prinny got himself banned? RIP :/

On the bright side, now we get to talk smack about Disgaea when it launches on Steam in a few days, and there's nothing he can do about it ;p

Hopefully he'll be back shortly .. I'll probably be needing help with that game.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Ucchedavāda;196037369 said:
On the bright side, now we get to talk smack about Disgaea when it launches on Steam in a few days, and there's nothing he can do about it ;p

Hopefully he'll be back shortly .. I'll probably be needing help with that game.

#DeathToPrinnies

R.I.P for a week or two Hero Prinny. See ya soon.

Volimar

I played a few hours of Cities: Skylines earlier today because it's been on my wishlist for a long while and it's currently free so I thought I'd check it out for myself.

The game is a pretty legitimate city-builder, and it took a while to learn exactly what all the different things did. I've played a lot of SimCity over the years so I started out with a pretty solid understanding, so it didn't take as long to get up to speed as someone starting fresh into the genre.

I liked the game, and I thought the graphics were pretty and the buildings detailed. I like how the buildings "level up" due to a variety of factors, and there is a ton of variety in what can be built. The city simulation stuff gets pretty detailed...

which leads me to my biggest "con". The city simulation stuff gets pretty detailed... in a hurry. Before too long I had thousands of citizens that all seemed to have wanted a bunch of different stuff - I always felt like there was a constant push to expand (which is good) without bringing in the kind of revenue I needed to support those extra services. Before too long I was taking out loans to build a hospital only to have it sink me in operational costs, having to shut it down to generate enough revenue to pay off the loan.

I think it boils down to the fact that I'm just not that good of a city manager. I know a lot of people love playing and tweaking all the little settings though so I know this game probably has a pretty big audience, I just don't know if it's the right game for me.

I love city managers and I'm terrible at them.

Volimar 2016

Arthea

Seems like the third prize uses the same redeem list as the second prize, since when I tried it, I got a 'hey, you already did that you doofus'.
The Dawn of War II dlc is a separate redeem list.

Both are inactive for me, I mean clicking redeem does nothing.

Just tried myself and you are right.
Be sure to try later. Glad I did mine early.

I hope they'll fix it
it should last for one more day, no?

Haunted

I don't know what people are talking about but I like this thread the most when it's on topic and I get impressions/news about and around PC games/Steam games.

👍

I've played Wyv & Keep with a friend and while being a generally pretty standard coop box puzzler with some platforming, it had surprisingly charming writing when everyone voiced their part. Good times.

After Snakebird and The Witness provided some unsurmountable obstacles, it was nice to relax with a simpler title.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Heh, everyone runs into that at first. Then you start a new city and try to apply what you learn, you get past one problem and then get introduced to something new. Then you start over again and the cycle repeats until you get a nicely sized city that's not always at the brink of collapse.

I started Borderlands TPS again. Public games have been a little dead so far. Running Aurelia this time. After a second look through I really like her skill trees.

So do SteamGAFers carry swords? I am trying to get a handle on the community here.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Heh, everyone runs into that at first. Then you start a new city and try to apply what you learn, you get past one problem and then get introduced to something new. Then you start over again and the cycle repeats until you get a nicely sized city that's not always at the brink of collapse.

Thanks, I might give it another shot then to see if I can reach a good balance.

Where is Cities Skylines free? Or is it just a free weekend atm?

Just a free weekend on Steam. Looks like about 23 hours left to download/play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom