• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Vive is really 800€ according to german newspapers, I will be an early adopter in April (without the PC actually being able to play most games in VR ;))

Ludens

Banned
In Talos I just
reached the second floor of the tower. Solved all puzzles in all worlds, I took all 30 stars, but I still didn't try to solve star worlds.

How far am I from the end of the game?

I got the fake one anyway.

fantomena

Nah it's a pretty good coop shooter. It's not amazing unique but there's nothing really bad about it. Just that changing the art style hurt it being unique.

The controls are terrible, the story is terrible, the sound is terrible so they implemented coop into it so 2 people could cheer each other up from the tears through the game.

But seriously, it's a very boring and terrible game, coop makes the game at least somewhat good.

Rise's fps went to shit when I reached the
soviet base
(thats a very early spoiler but still)], what are the biggest offenders I can turn down besides the usual suspect SMAA (which I had already down)?

was so smooth (except for some ocasional drops like when
the bear
shows up for example but it went back up imediatly) so far
It's not the power of your SLI config but the VRAM amount. +4GB needed for textures at highest quality setting. Take it down one notch to "high" and it should be smooth sailing. It worked on my single 970 with basically everything maxed and FXAA.

In Talos I just
reached the second floor of the tower. Solved all puzzles in all worlds, I took all 30 stars, but I still didn't try to solve star worlds.

How far am I from the end of the game?

I got the fake one anyway.

Pretty close, only
a few more floors and an awesome final ascent
before you reach the ending.

I want the DLC. Also Danganronpa's music is good, really good.

zkylon

zkylewd
I was also suffering from motion sickness at first, but that went away when I adjusted the FOV to ~70

Have you tried tinkering with the settings? (You need to edit a config file)
You can edit the FOV from the ini files.
they added a fov slider and a cursor (this helped a lot) to the beta version of the game and it's reduced my motion sickness but i still struggle with it a bunch

same with talos principle, game had a ton of options but none of them seem capable of removing it 100%

something about how these games move or whatever just works bad with my brain (and a lot of other ppl's iirc)

Those of us who have played the game are dancing around the issue so that nothing gets spoiled for you, because that would just be cruel. But if the game has reached the stage where you are annoyed by it then perhaps it's just not for you. That can happen and it's no big deal.

I understand the game is opaque and your reaction is somewhat justified. But if you're sprinting from puzzle to puzzle and alt tabbing out of the game then you are missing out on the experience.

Have you ever wondered why the boat has a speed selection option?
i'm not sprinting from puzzle to puzzle, but the game involves a tremendous amount of backtracking and i'm not gonna walk everywhere because why would i? it's a static, lifeless world that is pretty and filled with secrets but i'm not gonna go looking into every corner for some rambling audiolog and running into statues of a guy that you can camera align with some random object and go "huh" has not been the most inspiring

i'm 100% not fighting against the game, but it better have something really special after all the bullshit it puts you through

Jawmuncher

The controls are terrible, the story is terrible, the sound is terrible so they implemented coop into it so 2 people could cheer each other up from the tears through the game.

But seriously, it's a very boring and terrible game, coop makes the game at least somewhat good.

I played the game solo and thought it was fine. Just a bit hard even on easy.

I don't know why I tuned into Samsung's MWC conference. It's a bunch of wankery. Like every tech conference. Zuckerberg took the stage and talked for 5-10 minutes, but honestly if he wouldn't be there nothing would have changed, because nothing he said was substantial. Just a bunch of flowery language.

Same was last year when I tuned into the MS conference, because people were freaking out over that tablet/notebook hybrid and at the end Nadella was masturbating for minutes which could have been boild down to much shorter. The only difference was the cultish atmosphere with the latter, while at MWC the audience was restrained. I take it because MS held it at their campus.

It turns out that Hitman: Absolution gets more fun the less binary its bad stealth systems are. Play on normal or bust.

Also, I found the perfect image to represent Agent 47 in incognito mode:
4A5A0D324E7F94830081BB3B04FBC7FD389A462C

Parsnip

i'm 100% not fighting against the game, but it better have something really special after all the bullshit it puts you through
It has more puzzles.
They are pretty special.

edit: Entirely unrelated, but the latest fast ring Win10 insider build (14267 redstone1) fixes the Xbone controller trigger related issues that some games like Final Fantasy 13/13-2, Gone Home (and I'm sure other Unity games) etc have had. Word is that the new driver is also coming through Windows update at some point, likely before Redstone reaches public channels.

strafer

I really wish Visceral Games would put the Dead Space 2 DLC 'Severed' on PC, kinda like what Capcom did with the Resident Evil 5 DLC.

But I doubt it seeing how that Visceral Games team is no longer. I liked that DLC.

yuraya

The Vive is so dad at that price. The Oculus will be be dead too.

- No killer apps
- Nothing to make hardcore gamers give a shit.
- Extra add on bs to make the price even higher and make the experience more confusing
- Need an entire (empty) room in your house to fully enjoy
- Walled off storefronts with exclusivity bs
- Non family friendly. Like at all. Look like a complete fool while wearing this stuff and no parent will ever buy something like that for their kids.

RIP VR. You had a decent little run. Maybe you will return again in 15-20 years.

- No killer apps
- Extra add on bs to make the price even higher and make the experience more confusing
- Non family friendly. Like at all. Look like a complete fool while wearing this stuff and no parent will ever buy something like that for their kids.

RIP VR. You had a decent little run. Maybe you will return again in 15-20 years.

I really dont understand what is sarcasm on GAF and whats not.

Jazz573

- No killer apps

lol

That's it. Did a third clean install and Blood Dragon is still crashing on start-up all the time. Imma need to pirate this crap to play my own game, really? This is some bullshit.

Copons

Finally decided to try Wolf TNO for real, and got past the prologue.
Nice twist and all, but (end of prologue spoiler)
the choice between Fergus and the wide-eyed newbie there I sacrified, does it matter in the enjoyment of the game? I mean, did I choose wisely?

MUnited83

For you.
Wait? Really? If that's so, then goodbye to VR until that changes. I couldn't get neither Oculus or Vive if I had the money because of this.
It's not true
First because not all games will be created with room tracking in mind, second because you don't actually need a "entire room" worth of space.

fantomena

Not gonna change.

Then until I find my own place (which is not gonna happen cause as a student I need to live cheap at my parents house or I have to go in debt which I don't want to) or finish university.

So I guess....see you in like 5 years or more VR!

It's not true
First because not all games will be created with room tracking in mind, second because you don't actually need a "entire room" worth of space.

Can you give me sources on this?

It's not true

Exactly. The chaperon system + camera is purpose-built to accommodate more varied room setups.

You're accepting nonsense at face value and then demanding a source for the more-informed information?

Dr Dogg

finally got to super silver in Street Fighter 5 , hope i can get to Gold soon to stop playing ranked :v

On this week's Excellent Adventures of Gootecks and Mike Ross they had Combofiend on and he said league rankings go up to Grand Master but it's based on proportionate player position rather than solely the amount of League Points. So the barriers for each league tier are always changing depending on how many people are on the leaderboards. So it might be something like the bottom 10% of the leaderboards are considered to be the Rookie league while the next 10% is Bronze and so on but it might be more complicated than that.

MUnited83

For you.
Then until I find my own place (which is not gonna happen cause as a student I need to live cheap at my parents house or I have to go in debt which I don't want to) or finish university.

So I guess....see you in like 5 years or more VR!

You can discover this by researching two minutes about it.
If you can't be bothered to research even the slightest bit then perhaps buying high-end consumer tech is not where you should be putting your money.
Yeeeep!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It's a shame that Vive will only work with green and hazel eye colors because I think the tech looks very interesting. Thankfully Sony is aiming for the more consumer-friendly option, so I don't think it'll be as encumbered with this restriction.

Can anyone confirm that the PSVR works with all eye colors?

MUnited83

For you.
My googling took me to differents sites saying the Vive manual saying it's recommended to have a big empty space.

Ouclus googling gave me that Palmer gave an interview in december 2015 that Oculus works "fine" with room space.

That's good. I trust Chet.

Then comes the question, Vive or Oculus?
Took me 10 seconds to Google and find how Vive and SteamVR can be scalable and adapt to different room sizes.
Oculus doesn't ship with room tracking sensors.

dex3108

Aaaand i overclocked my i72600K to 4GHz(40x100). It is not much but it works. Temp under prime95 are around 70°C, under LinX around 80°C and in-game so far around 60°C. CPU Voltage is set to Offset and it is around 1.250 (i could probably go with 1.2). System is stable no BSOD. I will see in next few days how system will behave. :D

fantomena

Props to Tomasety for PMing the Vive manual.

What's the key differences between Oculus and Vive?

Edit: What is "room scale VR"?

Took me 10 seconds to Google and find how Vive and SteamVR can be scalable and adapt to different room sizes.
Oculus doesn't ship with room tracking sensors.

Then we searched different.

Props to Tomasety for PMing the Vive manual.

What's the key differences between Oculus and Vive?

Oculus has exclusive games and headphones.

Vive has room scale tracking, VR controllers and a camera (and some of the room scale games might be exclusive.

Edit: What is "room scale VR"?

It means e.g. you are on a sunken ship under the sea thats about 3*3m and you can walk around that in your own room and interact with different things. You have Virtual Reality controllers, that emulate your finger and handmoves. The Oculus only has a 360 now. Their touch controllers arent ready at launch.

What's the point of exclusives? Other than money obviously.

Money. Dont ask me. Oculus develops some games themselves, so they dont want those to appear on other VR devices.

Its actually pretty stupid, because Palmer said, at the beginning that such a move would be bad for the VR-market, then they were bought by Facebook.

Dr Dogg

Aaaand i overclocked my i72600K to 4GHz(40x100). It is not much but it works. Temp under prime95 are around 70°C, under LinX around 80°C and in-game so far around 60°C. CPU Voltage is set to Offset and it is around 1.250 (i could probably go with 1.2). System is stable no BSOD. I will see in next few days how system will behave. :D

If an overclock doesn't pass my 4 hours of full AVX Linpack OCCT tourture then I don't consider it stable. Hence why you never hear me going on about doggey overclocks in any PC Perf threads :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom