• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
ok, i've found an environment thing about the witness that's pretty cool that makes alt tabbing during boat rides kinda dumb i guess, and also starts giving a bit of meaning to the tire piles or whatever those things are called

nothing amazing but it was cool

also finished the greenhouse and realized i only have 4 lasers instead of 5 cos one's pointing wherever, so gotta see wtf is going on with that

this might be the xenosaga of puzzle games, you have to play it for 20 hours before something happens

Dark Void seems to sometimes crash when I change resolutions, sometimes not, but regardless always crashes if I try to load it again, forcing me to restart my pc.

They really outdid themselves with this pc port

Then comes the question, Vive or Oculus?

It depends.
- Vive is built for room-based stuff out of the box, Oculus isn't quite there yet, but it's not clear how popular room-stuff is ever going to be.
- Oculus has a slightly narrower field of vision, but slightly less screen-door-effect potential.
- Oculus is *slightly* more comfortable (just in my experience).
- Oculus is $200 cheaper, but the motion controllers won't be available at launch so you're stuck with a X1 controller for the first few months, which is a major bummer, and you'll need to shell out the extra cash once they do come out so that may eat up the cost differential. VR w/o the motion controllers just isn't the same to me, they should be considered a "must buy"
- I think the Oculus motion controllers are a bit better than the Vive's, but it's not a huge difference.

I think there is *zero* harm in taking a "wait and see" attitude with this first round of VR if you're not totally sold on it yet. Especially if you haven't had a chance to try it out personally. If you're not sure, just wait, give it some time to mature, see which platform becomes a bit more dominant, wait for Gen 2 hardware, etc. But if you decide to dive in, either headset will probably serve you fine for a few years. The differences aren't that major beyond the Vive's explicit focus on room-tracking.

The thing is that now Oculus fanboys on GAF defend that move. Its totally stupid and goes against what Palmer said at the beginning that exclusives would actually hurt the development/acceptance of VR.

Bought by Facebook, developing their own games and so now it is:
"We are developing it. We choose where it ends up."

And then you see people on GAF, that preordered the Rift, that he is right...

tmarg

It's weird because the only way they make money is with a massive expansion of the market, fighting over market share at this point is almost pointless. Also, the idea of FB getting into an exclusives arms race with valve is laughable. Especially targeting the extreme enthusiasts that will be buying vr sets.

dex3108

If an overclock doesn't pass my 4 hours of full AVX Linpack OCCT tourture then I don't consider it stable. Hence why you never hear me going on about doggey overclocks in any PC Perf threads :p

4GHz for my CPU is nothing based on other clocks i saw. Also i don't have time to leave my PC for 24h test so i am risking with short tests and real life usage :D So we will see, i am playing with CPU when i don't have money to buy GPU that i need. What could go wrong? :D

if your using the steam version turning off the steam overlay
I did that very first thing after reading PCGW and googling. Hmm, this blows. I disabled Uplay overlay as well. Restarted clients and PC several times.
It sometimes doesn't do anything when starting the game, sometimes the splash screen shows up where it crashes, rarely the game starts and at the initial loading screen it crashes. I've made it once in the menu and started a new game. It worked exactly once. Here a WebM showing the erratic behavior of the crashes.
Makes no sense. This is not fun. It's not an old game to have these extreme crashes justifiable.

Finally decided to try Wolf TNO for real, and got past the prologue.
Nice twist and all, but (end of prologue spoiler)
the choice between Fergus and the wide-eyed newbie there I sacrified, does it matter in the enjoyment of the game? I mean, did I choose wisely?

You'll be meeting the person you saved later in the game, and they'll be playing a role in the story-line, so just pick the character you'd rather interact with later (*cough*Fergus*cough*).

Actually Oculus made the exclusive deal with CCP before FB bought them and a lot of people were okay with it, because the Rift seemed like the only noteworthy HMD for the PC. After FB bought them, they doubled down on doing them and build up the Oculus store.

Ucchedavāda;196137461 said:
You'll be meeting the person you saved later in the game, and they'll be playing a role in the story-line, so just pick the character you'd rather interact with later (*cough*Fergus*cough*).

You should do the opposite actually. Otherwise the penultimate payoff is horribly lackluster.

On this week's Excellent Adventures of Gootecks and Mike Ross they had Combofiend on and he said league rankings go up to Grand Master but it's based on proportionate player position rather than solely the amount of League Points. So the barriers for each league tier are always changing depending on how many people are on the leaderboards. So it might be something like the bottom 10% of the leaderboards are considered to be the Rookie league while the next 10% is Bronze and so on but it might be more complicated than that.

thats not true actually , it really is like SF4 ranking system , in this case it has been like this:

0 lp : novice
500 lp : bronze
1000 lp : super bronze
2000 lp : silver
3000 lp : super silver

the only difference with SF4 is that if my points are below the minimun of my current league i go back to the previous one

Hello deeries~

B9vrYv7CIAEd_Cp.jpg

dex3108

So what does happen if you mess up the thermal paste on a CPU? The CPU goes bad or does the whole motherboard crap out?

Usually you get higher than normal temperatures. And in worst case scenario PC should shut itself down if CPU reaches critical temperatures (temperature depends on your CPU).

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So what does happen if you mess up the thermal paste on a CPU? The CPU goes bad or does the whole motherboard crap out?

It won't cool nearly as efficiently, which will lead to sub-optimal performance and can shorten the lifespan of your CPU. Which could, in turn, lead to other parts running hotter as the ambient temps will increase. I'd highly recommend redoing the application of thermal paste if you somehow messed it up.

Copons

Ucchedavāda;196137461 said:

Heck yeah, I choose wisely then!

Dr Dogg

thats not true actually , it really is like SF4 ranking system , in this case it has been like this:

0 lp : novice
500 lp : bronze
1000 lp : super bronze
2000 lp : silver
3000 lp : super silver

the only difference with SF4 is that if my points are below the minimun of my current league i go back to the previous one

Huh I wonder why he said placement rather than points then? Unless I'm having. A funny 5 minutes.

Well instead of acting like a conductor it can act like an insulator. Some types are electrically conductive too which can be trouble if you get it on a PCB. You don't need a lot and if you think you've messed up some TIM cleaner or iso alcohol will clean the stuff off fine if you use a lint free cloth or something cheap skate like coffee filters.

End of the day less is more and a small amount in the centre is fine for pretty much all modern CPUs due to their die size and position, and the let the presure of the heatsink spread it out.

If you cracked the IHS off you'd see how the actually CPU die only takes up a small portion of the PCB. A small blob over that and then spread out so the heat sink and IHS can transfer heat adieu ally is fine. DO NOT follow any of the loopy guides out their spreading it out with credit cards or your fingers in a plastic bag as you're going to get stuff like air bubbles in there which impede addiquate heat transfer.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
This is why I always recommend anyone wanting to build a pc watch that 96 hour stream of a guy throwing his computer together.

Just don't do anything he does and you'll be fine.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Beta: This giveaway is a trivia giveaway. In your PM, include BOTH the ModBot code for the game you want AND the answer to the trivia question on the same line separated by a space. Capitalization and punctuation are not important. Here is a visual example of how to format your ModBot PM
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Stop Online: Battle of Words -- MB-C02BFAA0DE9B4BA1 - Taken by fuzzy123 Trivia Question: Pick a number between 1 and 10?

:V

kagamin

First time building my computer it only took me about 3 hours not including breaks, mostly because I fumbled on a few things and had to switch a bunch of stuff around.

Kriken

Well I haven't posted anything in a few days, let me fix that

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kriken:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kriken, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc -- MB-8782304E3FAF17FE - Taken by the_firewithin. 84 entrants total.

t1456177390z1.png

header.jpg

PLAY THIS GAME

Jawmuncher

Thanks for the info everyone. My friend is bringing over a build he did that he apparently messed up on. Since he said he might have ruined it up at the thermal paste.
So I wanted to see if that was an actually possibility.

cyba89

this might be the xenosaga of puzzle games, you have to play it for 20 hours before something happens

No it's not.

You either "get it" in the first three hours or the game is just not for you (nothing wrong with that). The game
doesn't change dramatically later on and it also does not have a Braid-like twist.

Haunted

Anyone know if there are any plans to bring The Room 2 and 3 to Steam? I know the sequels haven't been as well received as the first one, but it'd be nice to be able to get the complete trilogy on PC.

Steamspy says the game has sold around 100k units, which seems like a decent amount.

zkylon

zkylewd
No it's not.

You either "get it" in the first three hours or the game is just not for you (nothing wrong with that). The game
doesn't change dramatically later on and it also does not have a Braid-like twist.
oh well

it's unfair to compare any game to xenosaga i guess :>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom