• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it really complicates things that much though. They were asked a question as to whether they were going to bring out another of their games on Steam. The logical response is "If this Steam thing works out for us, of course we will continue to put games out."

Sure, they could have said "we have no comment at this time" or simply refused to respond to the question, but I don't see how that would have been better.

Ah, ok ok. I've just noticed it that they're actually replying to a mention or something like that. I have no idea how twitter works.
That clears things up. :)

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Chasing Dead

Viking Squad

SnakEscape

Ira

ss_15275231c996edb77f51546a87ef7e9636c758c2.1920x1080.jpg
ss_9a0a18802359d6143e659efbf7a4f9dfbbb962f6.1920x1080.jpg
ss_0ff20dc6e0630d782545b6df38f712b8e152a3a3.1920x1080.jpg
ss_776f7983bd6fd8f436afd2ecbf7e9adb0d009bf7.1920x1080.jpg

Deitus

Are you one of those "you hafta play 999 before you play VLR" people? >_>

You probably should. A lot of the surprise in 999 is ruined if you play VLR first.

VLR is perfectly playable without having played 999 (though there are a number of references you won't get), but I would definitely recommend people play them in order.

You probably should. A lot of the surprise in 999 is ruined if you play VLR first.

VLR is perfectly playable without having played 999 (though there are a number of references you won't get), but I would definitely recommend people play them in order.

Well, 999 was never released on Vita, so that's a problem, innit? ;)

I know that you might know a few things about 999 should you play them out of order, but if you're not going to play 999, it's good to see someone who sees that it's a perfectly serviceable standalone game. (I missed out on some of the backstory between the two girls, which I had to look up to fully understand, but I got the rest of the story just fine and had even guessed the some of the twists before the ending.)

only people i've seen thinking you don't need to play 999 are vita fanboys, are you one of those?

Why, yes, yes I am.

But y'know, having never played 999 before playing VLR, none of my enjoyment was ruined and the game was perfectly fine as it was. Thank you PS+ subscription.

Holy crap, Alien Isolation is amazing. Well I have only played an hour but it is gorgeous and has crazy atmosphere from the creaking and steam to the shadows following you. I havent even seen an Alien!

I would appreciate being able to play 999 & VLR. Hear a lot of good things about them. Guess with Danganronpa chances are high/realistic.

So remember when the Nexus got hacked? Well apparently I used the same password for that as my Microsoft account.
Oh, and I used the same used ID for both accounts as well.

We detected an unusual sign-in attempt with the correct password. (This might have been you, but we weren’t sure—for example, this might have happened on a new device we didn’t recognize.) To help protect your account, we required an extra security challenge.

Microsoft just cock-blocked a madman from my precious virtual behind.

Deitus

I would appreciate being able to play 999 & VLR. Hear a lot of good things about them. Guess with Danganronpa chances are high/realistic.

I really hope so. 999 could be tricky, because the DS version makes use of the bottom screen in a way that would require some work to port, while the iOS version removes all of the puzzles from the game (making it just a visual novel).

But more people should have an opportunity to play the games, especially with the third one coming out this year.

Vamphuntr

So remember when the Nexus got hacked? Well apparently I used the same password for that as my Microsoft account.

You missed out on some virtual behind action and prevented someone from having a meaningful online relationship. You meanie.

Haunted

friends don't let friends use the same password on different sites

rtcn63

42% into RoTR and yeah, I enjoy it. I want to reiterate. It's a game that I will very likely see to the end.

But man, there's no challenge, not to the combat. Any situation involving enemies will also have ammunition and materials bathing the floors. I know I've mentioned this before, but it actually gets worse as the game progress. There was one relatively long stretch where even fighting inefficiently, there were more items lying around than I could conceivable use up. This includes the supposedly scarcer ammo types. The game doesn't want you to lose. And it'll laugh at you if somehow you do.

Hilariously, the enemies at the end of this particular section verbally acknowledge that you're some sort of godless, unstoppable killing machine.

42% into RoTR and yeah, I enjoy it. I want to reiterate. It's a game that I will very likely see to the end.

But man, there's no challenge, not to the combat. Any situation involving enemies will also have ammunition and materials bathing the floors. I know I've mentioned this before, but it actually gets worse as the game progress. There was one relatively long stretch where even fighting inefficiently, there were more items lying around than I could conceivable use up. This includes the supposedly scarcer ammo types. The game doesn't want you to lose. And it'll laugh at you if somehow you do.

Hilariously, the enemies at the end of this particular section verbally acknowledge that you're some sort of godless, unstoppable killing machine.

Don't worry, Crystal Dynamics is aware of the complaints. They have a plan for you hardcore players.

Only USD $9.99.

It retroactively unsold me on the game.

rtcn63

Is it a separate game, or is the endurance mode applied to the entirely of the normal campaign? If the latter, considering how easy the current hardest difficulty is, it should really be a free patch.

Yeah, I really hate the shooting parts as well. Ammo is everywhere and the special arrows are too OP. Lara can barely die as well, she can take more hit from guns than the bad guys.

Sneak is also a joke, the enemies are just blind and/or deaf. The only good things about the game are the tomb and vistas. The tombs though, yeah, they're gorgeous. I really hope they'll be more focusing on them.

More tombs, less open world & busywork.

rtcn63

I stopped doing stealth because of the lack of a combat as a whole. Just wanted to fight, burn through those absurdly generous ammo stores. (Why give us so many weapons and upgrades if they're not needed whatsoever? I didn't spend all that time digging for coins and treasure for nothing) And I didn't bother to upgrade the ammo pouches.

RoTR is a good adventure game. But it's definitely not something you should pick up if you're looking for an engaging TPS.

Is it a separate game, or is the endurance mode applied to the entirely of the normal campaign? If the latter, considering how easy the current hardest difficulty is, it should really be a free patch.

There's leaderboards, so I'd assume a discrete mode. But that's just a guess--I don't own the game.

It really sounds like fun, but I'll never be able to justify that price. Wouldn't even pay $10 for Fallout: New Vegas' hardcore mode either, and that totally made the game for me.

Well, you don't even have to upgrade the weapon in fact.

i hope if ff15 comes to PC they bundle it with a graphics card that way i can buy it cheap.

I hope The Division will be bundled as well. Cheap games for everyone!

Anyway where's the cheapest place to get The Division as of now?

Teggy

I think they just want you to have fun. You get into an area and there's bottles to turn into molotovs, cans to turn into bombs, radios to boobytrap, gas cans to go boom, bushes to hide in, trees to climb, whatever. You can just pick the option you want and go to town (or not even touch anyone in a fair number of circumstances). I had a great time with it (played it through on Tomb Raider and immediately again on Survivor).

rtcn63

I think they just want you to have fun. You get into an area and there's bottles to turn into molotovs, cans to turn into bombs, radios to boobytrap, gas cans to go boom, bushes to hide in, trees to climb, whatever. You can just pick the option you want and go to town (or not even touch anyone in a fair number of circumstances). I had a great time with it (played it through on Tomb Raider and immediately again on Survivor).

I get that, and I know there's an audience for games that aren't so difficult, focusing more on the aesthetics and story without all that other shit getting in the way.

But coming from TR 2013, it's a letdown. And I may not be remembering correctly, but the first game was fairly challenging (about as much as say Uncharted), and weapon upgrades and the like were pretty necessary to survive in the late-game. With RoTR, you're given all this busywork to collect parts and currency to purchase new weapons, but there's just absolutely no need for them even on the hardest difficulty. It just *feels* off.

KingKong

I get that, and I know there's an audience for games that aren't so difficult, focusing more on the aesthetics and story without all that other shit getting in the way.

But coming from TR 2013, it's a letdown. And I may not be remembering correctly, but the first game was fairly challenging (about as much as say Uncharted), and weapon upgrades and the like were pretty necessary to survive in the late-game. With RoTR, you're given all this busywork to collect parts and currency to purchase new weapons, but there's just absolutely no need for them even on the hardest difficulty. It just *feels* off.

Thats a general open world design trend and I believe it's because the developers know how few people bother collecting and upgrading things so they make the games easy enough for it not to matter. Same thing with Assassin's Creed and all its upgrades

I finished Portal 2 yesterday. It's one of the best written games I've played with a coherent story. Very funny. I didn't like the corrected-portal physics where you could drop into a portal at about any angle and it'd spit you out aimed directly toward the goal platform.

I also got new internet today! 40 mbps and wired. That is a huge improvement for me.

zkylon

zkylewd
duelyst is a pretty interesting game, seems to have a lot of strategy and a lot of improvisation and a really good artstyle (i love the little pixelart guys and all the UI works and the color scheme and everything, but man those character designs are totally not my thing)

i'm not sure if i see myself playing much of it in the future but what little i've played i've liked a lot

wish there was some sort of story component to hook me into it

Dsyndrome

Does the top seller list count activated keys?

If so, just wait for the GMG keys to hit

GMG's where I've bought most of the big games recently outside of The Witness. I'd like to think that they would contribute to Steam's Bestseller countdown, also would like the damn games to show up in my activity feed.

I hope The Division will be bundled as well. Cheap games for everyone!

Anyway where's the cheapest place to get The Division as of now?

hey if i could get the division for $20 on launch or cheaper I'd buy it day one, otherwise its a wait and see (with a purchase on ps4 since thats where my co op buddies are).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom