• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't think there's anything MS could announce that would compel me to support the construction of its walled garden. Rare Replay would be tempting, I suppose, but I maintain that Nuts & Bolts with Steam Workshop support for the sharing of vehicle blueprints makes infinitely more sense.

Phil Spencer just leaked hidden E3 documents detailing the PC announcements of Red Dead Redemption, Vanquish and Shadows of the Damned (published by Microsoft).

man you gotta be more careful with classified stuff Phil jeez

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't think I've ever gotten an ad for Steam before.I suspect it's Slitherine not Valve who bought it.

I always see that and think

kX8AorZ.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
man i've turned around about the witness a whole lot but being stuck feels like shit

like all the places i got stuff to do at have like riffs on a puzzle type that just don't make any sense to me yet and smashing my head against them for this long is infuritating lol

Tizoc

Phil Spencer just leaked hidden E3 documents detailing the PC announcements of Red Dead Redemption, Vanquish and Shadows of the Damned (published by Microsoft).

man you gotta be more careful with classified stuff Phil jeez
This is a joke post right?

zkylon

zkylewd
is the new star trek movie (the first one) bad?

i caught like a third of it on tv last night and am thinking of watching the rest

like visually it was a mess but it was pretty fun

FLD

i caught like a third of it on tv last night and am thinking of watching the rest

It's a fun movie, it's just not really Star Trek.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't think there's anything MS could announce that would compel me to support the construction of its walled garden. Rare Replay would be tempting, I suppose, but I maintain that Nuts & Bolts with Steam Workshop support for the sharing of vehicle blueprints makes infinitely more sense.

I'm of the stance that I have an infinite backlog. Even if I suddenly had 10 times more time to play games, I wouldn't run out of games before I keel over dead. So I'm sorta indifferent as to whether a particular game gets added to that backlog and/or when. As a result, if there's some sort of stupid barrier that gets in the way of me wanting to play the game (onerous DRM, dumb platform decisions, bad business model, waifu garbage, whatever), then *shrug*.

It's not like I'm going without anything. I'd like to play Mirror's Edge 2. I don't have a way to play it that doesn't annoy me. Okay, so I'll play something else I'd like to play as much as Mirror's Edge 2. I'm not losing out, EA is. I'd like to play Quantum Break, but I can't envision a scenario I buy a console at this point and I can't imagine a scenario I use the Windows app store at this point. Oh well. Their loss.

Maybe it's because I'm getting old or maybe just more neurotic but either way, it's working for me.

So..is everyone excited for Microsoft's Windows 10 and Xbox media event? Its taking place in a few days on the 25th.

I have a feeling its gonna be a big one. MS will finally push PC gaming into the golden age.

MCC
Gears 4
Halo 5
360 BC
Forza

Get em all on Win10

I mean you're describing the 1st through 5th iterations of a series, the 6th iteration of the same series, the 5th iteration of another series, and the 7th and 8th iterations of another series, and then a mechanism to mostly rebuy stuff I own with no guarantee it'll work in the future. I didn't play Shadow Complex for free on EpicDownloadz.pl/GameLauncher/FileFront.cgi?download=shadow_complex so I'm not sure why I would play it for free on GFWL Windows 8 10 App Store.

Annubis

I'm of the stance that I have an infinite backlog. Even if I suddenly had 10 times more time to play games, I wouldn't run out of games before I keel over dead. So I'm sorta indifferent as to whether a particular game gets added to that backlog and/or when. As a result, if there's some sort of stupid barrier that gets in the way of me wanting to play the game (onerous DRM, dumb platform decisions, bad business model, waifu garbage, whatever), then *shrug*.

It's not like I'm going without anything. I'd like to play Mirror's Edge 2. I don't have a way to play it that doesn't annoy me. Okay, so I'll play something else I'd like to play as much as Mirror's Edge 2. I'm not losing out, EA is. I'd like to play Quantum Break, but I can't envision a scenario I buy a console at this point and I can't imagine a scenario I use the Windows app store at this point. Oh well. Their loss.

Maybe it's because I'm getting old or maybe just more neurotic but either way, it's working for me.

Nah, you're right. With the digital age, convenience is the #1 factor now.

Well, RIP Valkyria, Disgaea just overshot it on the Top 10 a few minutes ago.

I don't think I've ever gotten an ad for Steam before.I suspect it's Slitherine not Valve who bought it.

Not surprising. Slitherine is... Aggressive when it comes to advertising.

So aggressive that I'm surprised that Valve hasn't thrown the book at them for those times when they had spambots and shills spamming various Steam Community forums with ads for Slitherine games last year.

Anyway, just a curiosity, I noticed some rather specific changes made to Valkyria's store page in the past month. Particularly the addition of a "in 1080p True HD" line to various parts of the description (In addition to fixing of various marketing errors that the original full-description had pertaining to a so-called "Federation Platoon 7")

Jan 23rd: https://web.archive.org/web/20160123031658/http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/

Vs Now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/

Steam Store entry to be renamed to "Valkyria Chronicles Remastered" in line with the PS4 release to avoid whining from people who don't realize that the PS4 version is identical to the PC version perhaps?

JaseC

Yeah, even if there were something there that I was absolutely certain I'd enjoy (like, say, following a nasty fall, a somewhat brain-damaged Yves Guillemot decides that AssCreed 2017 will be on the WinStore instead of Uplay), I'd still feel iffy about engaging in a transaction that says to Microsoft, "This is what I want." It's why I've never bitten the bullet on ilomilo+ even though almost everything about the game seems adorable.

In short, yes. Best Trek movie in years. Even "Into Darkness" can't hold a candle to it.

the video game tie-in is terrible, though

Yeah, even if there were something there that I was absolutely certain I'd enjoy (like, say, following a nasty fall, a somewhat brain-damaged Yves Guillemot decides that AssCreed 2017 will be on the WinStore instead of Uplay), I'd still feel iffy about engaging in a transaction that says to Microsoft, "This is what I want." It's why I've never bitten the bullet on ilomilo+ even though just about everything about the game seems adorable.

Nasty fall is a metaphor, isn't it?

I mean, just the thought of a Vivendi hostile takeover is horrifying to us all, so I don't blame anyone for not wanting to directly speak of such a scenario.

Lomax

So..is everyone excited for Microsoft's Windows 10 and Xbox media event? Its taking place in a few days on the 25th.

I have a feeling its gonna be a big one. MS will finally push PC gaming into the golden age.

MCC
Gears 4
Halo 5
360 BC
Forza

Get em all on Win10

Release date and price for Killer Instinct is all I want, and probably all we'll get.

Nyoro SF

Anyway, just a curiosity, I noticed some rather specific changes made to Valkyria's store page in the past month. Particularly the addition of a "in 1080p True HD" line to various parts of the description (In addition to fixing of various marketing errors that the original full-description had pertaining to a so-called "Federation Platoon 7")

Jan 23rd: https://web.archive.org/web/20160123031658/http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/

Vs Now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/

Steam Store entry to be renamed to "Valkyria Chronicles Remastered" in line with the PS4 release to avoid whining from people who don't realize that the PS4 version is identical to the PC version perhaps?

Oh, they finally fixed the store description?
It was kind of funny in a sad way, that whoever wrote it had no idea what the game was actually about and must've just watched the first 30 seconds of the opening movie.

Either it was just a friendly little update from Sega, or maybe it is like you say.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah, even if there were something there that I was absolutely certain I'd enjoy (like, say, following a nasty fall, a somewhat brain-damaged Yves Guillemot decides that AssCreed 2017 will be on the WinStore instead of Uplay), I'd still feel iffy about engaging in a transaction that says to Microsoft, "This is what I want." It's why I've never bitten the bullet on ilomilo+ even though almost everything about the game seems adorable.

Yeah ilomilo is really cool. Bought it full price on XBLA a number of years ago. Some brainbending puzzles and great presentation. Really sad that Southend Interactive closed down; they also made the singular and very cool XIII. The former staff are currently working on Apparently Not Assassin's Creed: Wall Street: What If Money... Was The Root... Of All Evil? Weird that Microsoft cared enough about the IP to keep it alive after the dev closed but not enough to release it on a platform anyone would care about. They never ported the mobile game to iOS/Android either, so it's languishing in Windows 7 Phone Store hell.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Tizoc, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Code C -- MB-49C3CDE4E6143A26 - Taken by SSPssp. 30 entrants total.
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Code A -- MB-4CEE8AA56BEC6CDF - Taken by louiedog. 10 entrants total.
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Code F -- MB-63FD26A0E00DDA71 - Taken by eyeless. 16 entrants total.
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Code M -- MB-49C3CDE4E6143A26 - Taken by SSPssp. 30 entrants total.
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Code S -- MB-15F0B2ED9615276E - Taken by Nzyme32. 18 entrants total.
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Code Z -- MB-C34BF5B49733D07D - Taken by sprinkles. 9 entrants total.

t1456337525z1.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have good information that everyone should pick "M" :D

if that were true then sharing that information would only lower your own odds of winning, so by reverse psychology we can safely eliminate M. unless I'm trying to win by steering people away from M, in which case everyone should pick M. but what if you knew that I was going to hedge my comment and so you deliberately misled everyone in which case everyone should avoid M.

llE8BER.jpg

Tizoc

if that were true then sharing that information would only lower your own odds of winning, so by reverse psychology we can safely eliminate M. unless I'm trying to win by steering people away from M, in which case everyone should pick M. but what if you knew that I was going to hedge my comment and so you deliberately misled everyone in which case everyone should avoid M.

llE8BER.jpg
You're stalling

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Until I can play the Windows games I already bought from them, Microsoft can fuck off.

Adnor

Banned
The plot twist will be that all 5 of them will have keys.

But they'll all have the same key, so there will be only one winner in the end.

llE8BER.jpg
Oh no! You have totally seen through my plan!

Soulflarz

Banned
Just finished Life is Strange. That final episode is amazing.

Volunteering ETDP to have a word with you.

I beat Dragon's Dogma. Awesome combat but the story seems a mess.

Did you actually beat Dragons Dogma?
It's like Peace Walker-- the credit roll isn't the ending by any means, I wouldn't even put it on my games beaten list until later.
The second credits roll has a ton more plot.

Volunteering ETDP to have a word with you.

Did you actually beat Dragons Dogma?
It's like Peace Walker-- the credit roll isn't the ending by any means, I wouldn't even put it on my games beaten list until later.
The second credits roll has a ton more plot.

Like... what exactly? I
killed myself with the godsbane
but am not going to bother with BBI until NG+ again.

If there's another ending I won't bother getting it.

Tizoc

Nope there is only one key, the other 5 wont give you a key
But all of steamgaf will know who the unlucky entrants are

JaseC

Nasty fall is a metaphor, isn't it?

I mean, just the thought of a Vivendi hostile takeover is horrifying to us all, so I don't blame anyone for not wanting to directly speak of such a scenario.

Twist: Vivendi scrounges together a controlling stake in Ubisoft and kills Uplay. PC gamers rejoice and Vincent Bollore supplants Gabe Newell as the most respected figurehead in the industry.

llE8BER.jpg

Don't mess with a headmaster when despair is on the line!

Wow, the ultimate pull-the-rug-out-from-under-you.

Knurek

I mean you're describing the 1st through 5th iterations of a series, the 6th iteration of the same series, the 5th iteration of another series, and the 7th and 8th iterations of another series, and then a mechanism to mostly rebuy stuff I own with no guarantee it'll work in the future.

Valid point, but then what guarantee do we have that Steam will work in the future though?

zkylon

zkylewd
sunless sea is pretty interesting

i'm not sure if there's much to its "gameplay" in that the game feels more like a storytelling device that just randomizes some cool stuff and you end up with a cool tale but i guess that's just for my first captain that was tragically eaten by a giant moth. he never knew his child and he never told his london sweetheart about that one time he kind of ate one of the guys on his crew. he was leaving that for his memoirs, but i guess those will never be written now.

and he never got to smuggle the goods he was asked for, not that i knew where the hell i was supposed to take them, but u know, my captain honored his deals no matter how long it took

but maybe this new character that corresponded with him will do better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom