• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valid point, but then what guarantee do we have that Steam will work in the future though?

Steam Support guarantees that "in the unlikely event of the discontinuation of the Steam network, measures are in place to ensure that all users will continue to have access to their Steam games." What these measures are is a mystery, but I feel that "continue to have access" is a very deliberate choice of words -- one which is misaligned with the theory that Valve would just disable CEG on applicable games and give people a limited window within which to download them. My guess is that, since Valve has dozens of third-party content servers around the globe, it would instead update them all to act as authentication servers as well, meaning it'd be business as usual, as far as signing into Steam and downloading a game is concerned, for as long as there's a third party out there willing to host a content server. There'd be no store, no Steamworks network features and no Steam Community, but you'd still be able to download and launch your games.

RedSwirl

So what's the deal with Lost Planet? I only have the original version of LP1 but I was thinking of trying Colonies Edition. The pages for it and LP2 say they're still stuck with GFWL.

rickyson1

great bundle as someone that's wanted sunless sea but was waiting for it to get a bit cheaper

new all time low price plus other games on top of it

pislit

Uhh, yes and yes/no. I think I know what you are saying.

Horribly phrased on my part, what I am trying to say is, was there a mandate that starting [date] all games released on Steam should have card drops? Or, the games with cards are picked by Valve / partnership between Valve and the devs/pubs, or just the devs/pubs just putting the cards in their games on their own?

Horribly phrased on my part, what I am trying to say is, was there a mandate that starting [date] all games released on Steam should have card drops? Or, the games with cards are picked by Valve / partnership between Valve and the devs/pubs, or just the devs/pubs just putting the cards in their games on their own?
Only yes to the last question as far as I've read.

The Dark Arisen content is pretty much Dark Souls, it's one long inter-connected dungeon crawl.

Pretty much?

That is like saying chocolate is pretty much a hamburger. Dark arisen is a long slog through the same enclosed environments over and over while you fight slight variations of the exact same enemy.

So pretty much dark souls 2.

Also hi. Congrats jshackles on being a mod. I'm a bit behind in the times.

JaseC

Card support is entirely up to the developer/publisher, but Valve has to manually approve submissions.

The plot twist will be that all 5 of them will have keys.

But they'll all have the same key, so there will be only one winner in the end.

No, the twist is everyone will think they're probably not going to win because only 1 winner and then... everybody wins. He showed us back when that he had like 6 copies in his inventory, so unless he's going to do six of these...

I beat Dragon's Dogma. Awesome combat but the story seems a mess.

Combat was solid, but wonky in places. I still would've rather had DMC5.

Story was basic but there. It wasn't really complex or convoluted and should make total sense if you ended up grabbing the various achievements for the "incorrect" endings. Here's the synopsis:

Every so many years a dragon shows up and wages destruction on the land. Someone who takes up the fight against the dragon gets their heart ripped out and becomes "the arisen" who is destined to fight against the dragon. This is you, obviously. You find out when you get presented the choice by Grigori (and the mission after you beat him) that the current Duke of Gran Soren chickened out, sacrificed his first wife (which is why he has the new young wife), so when you killed Grigori, the magic that was in place keeping him alive (since the dragon still had his heart) was gone and he aged rapidly and accused you of doing exactly what he did in order to usurp him and take control of the land. At this point, the everfall has opened up and you find out about creating a super portal if you have 20 wakestones. You do, you encounter the person who is essentially god. "God" tells you that the creator gets tired and the whole cycle is basically something that just repeats over and over to keep someone fresh as "God". This is why the guy you fight (at least the first time, I think) is the dude you played as in the prologue. His time is done and he just wants to stop existing, so you have been groomed to take his place. In theory, you should wait there until a new dragon is created (which happens when someone opens the everfall but backs out of fighting "God"; if you choose to walk away from the fight, you see a cutscene where you become the dragon and get a game over.

The part after that is a little wonky, but it has something to do with making pawns human, much like the old witch did with Selene, I believe.

I'll probably pass for now then. Would rather play Dark Souls 3.

You've got about 6 weeks to wait for that.

The Dark Arisen content is pretty much Dark Souls, it's one long inter-connected dungeon crawl.

That's a terrible comparison, IMO. The only thing they share is the sort of "high-fantasy" aesthetic/setting. The combat/gameplay is what really makes Dark Souls what it is and the way Dragon's Dogma plays feels totally different as far as I'm concerned. Though the ramp up in difficulty from the main campaign makes it more like DS on the challenge front... but I still wouldn't make a comparison between the two games.

You're not wrong about the Dark Arisen content being one interconnected dungeon, but it pretty much is a straight line for the most part and once you know the map, you can run through it pretty quickly, so the long part is relative to how much of a challenge the enemies provide for you, I guess. The first time through does take a few hours, but mostly because of the difficulty, not because of it being a ton of new maps.. 3 bosses, several repeated areas, etc.

So what's the deal with Lost Planet? I only have the original version of LP1 but I was thinking of trying Colonies Edition. The pages for it and LP2 say they're still stuck with GFWL.

Then they're stuck with GFWL. Just like RE:ORC and SFxT.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Spellweaver Gold -- MB-FF5EE70A500BC37A - Taken by Coldsun

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Perfect World International Dreamchaser Package -- MB-85C75FF2BCBC95CB

Fine by me, starting a new job in a few days so they'll go quickly anyway!

Also thanks for the synopsis, my heart is pure I didn't get the fake endings.

Congrats on that new job, btw.

Ok thanks. I had FFXIII and they have cards, will FFIX have too? I do not own the VIII below FFs so I do not know if they have cards.

Most FF games on Steam have cards, I think.
You can check by looking at the store page. If a title has cards, they will be listed as a feature on the right side of the page along the others such as "single player", "partial controller support", "steam achievements", etc.

Ludens

Banned
Can you download games on GOG?
If I tr to download a game, I receive a message "waiting for cdn.gog.com" and after a while connection drops.
EDIT: It only happens with Thief Gold.

zkylon

zkylewd
yea that star trek movie was pretty alright

like super dumb but the casting is kinda great and it's a fun dumb thing

Make Junketsu and Kamui Junketsu and Senkentsu mods while you're at it,
out of scope for what i can try to do right now

but i had to do 5 things and i've gotten 3 right so only 2 things to fix and it'll be a go

sailor uniforms for xcom soldiers tho, that's a cool idea

Surprisingly, Far Cry Primals seems very well-received by the community so far.
I think I'll put it on my whistlist for a purchase in 201

JaseC

Ok thanks. I had FFXIII and they have cards, will FFIX have too? I do not own the VIII below FFs so I do not know if they have cards.

They're listed as a feature on the store page, so I assume they'll be live at launch.

Knurek

There'd be no store, no Steamworks network features and no Steam Community, but you'd still be able to download and launch your games.

This wouldn't help you one bit if Gabe (or his will's beneficiaries) decides one day to sell Valve to Microsoft. Or EA. Or Ubisoft. Or Tencent.

What's to stop him/them from doing that?
What's to stop the new owner from just shutting down the whole thing if they will? Or implementing draconian DRM to make their own service look better?
It's a private owned business, you do not have any sort of guarantee.

pislit

Didn't know that only FF VII and above are available in my region. Both VIII and VII do not have trading cards, I am not holding my breath for IX.

Deques

Didn't know that only FF VII and above are available in my region. Both VIII and VII do not have trading cards, I am not holding my breath for IX.

IX will have cards
z3tajdE.png

Just because VII and VIII didn't have cards doesn't mean IX won't have

Check here to see which FF games are available in your region
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_5_9__12&term=final+fantasy

JaseC

This wouldn't help you one bit if Gabe (or his will's beneficiaries) decides one day to sell Valve to Microsoft. Or EA. Or Ubisoft. Or Tencent.

What's to stop the new owner from just shutting down the whole thing if they will? Or implementing draconian DRM to make their own service look better?

Sure, but you asked what guarantee we have that Steam will still be functional in the future, and there it is. That it doesn't apply in every single wildly hypothetical scenario doesn't make it any less of a guarantee; if that were the requisite criteria of a guarantee, then there'd be no such thing as a guarantee, because it couldn't be guaranteed that the guarantee would apply in the event of, say, the rapture.

Durante

The guarantee you have that you can still play your Steam games is that they are PC applications and their DRM is weak.

That is a strong guarantee.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Sure, but you asked what guarantee we have that Steam will still be functional in the future, and there it is. That it doesn't apply in every single wildly hypothetical scenario doesn't make it any less of a guarantee; if that were the requisite criteria of a guarantee, then there'd be no such thing as a guarantee, because it couldn't be guaranteed that the guarantee would apply in the event of, say, the rapture.

Which we'll have on Steam soon, too! Gabe's thought of everything~

And I mean a meteor could hit Valve headquarters and wipe out Steam (and North America). Then what guarantees do we have, right?

I only get "Meet hot russians" ads due to the russian bear trading fad from a while back

Yeah I don't think that's why you're getting those ads :p

valouris

ModBot said:
Instructions for valouris:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (valouris, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sunless Sea -- MB-331081C5FE63E0F8 - Taken by Red Hood. 53 entrants total.

t1456393567z1.png

My spare from the latest Humble Bundle. Good luck!

JaseC

Can I tell you about our Lord and Savior GameSave Manager? :D

GSM doesn't work with Uplay games, or at least some of them. When you back up Lib HD's "saves", you're just backing up the game's config file. The last time I used GSM, I noticed the same was true of the other AssCreed games I had installed, too.

Knurek

The guarantee you have that you can still play your Steam games is that they are PC applications and their DRM is weak.

That is a strong guarantee.

Well, sure, CEG is weak as hell.
CEG 'simulators' already exist, I have no doubt were the worst to happen we'd have an open source implementation on Github in less than 24 hours.
Not sure about download servers though, for folks who don't keep all of their games installed. Do we have some contingency plan there?

JaseC

Are there no local save files for uplay games?

Uplay saves them in C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\[account id string]\[game id]. If I had to guess I'd say that the string is the issue, but as far as I'm aware GSM supports saves that are stored in Steam\userdata\[account id]\[app id] just fine.

dex3108

GSM doesn't work with Uplay games, or at least some of them. When you back up Lib HD's "saves", you're just backing up the game's config file.

I just checked my AC save backups that i did with GSM and as far as i can see they are all there both config files and save files. I don;t know what they did differently with AC Lib.

But i have other issue that i am trying to solve. For a week now i am talking with Ubisoft Support becaus emy ACR and AC3 DLCs are missing from UPlay. Itis know issue since UPlay 3.0 and they still don't know how to solve it. Apparently it is easier for them to be bombarded with support tickets then to include DLCs in game *3-4 year old games) download for all.

JaseC

I just checked my AC save backups that i did with GSM and as far as i can see they are all there both config files and save files. I don;t know what they did differently with AC Lib.

Knowing my luck, LibHD remains the only "unsupported" Uplay game, haha. I found my little stash of Uplay save backups, but naturally LibHD isn't among them.

dex3108

Knowing my luck, LibHD remains the only "unsupported" Uplay game, haha. I found my little stash of Uplay save backups, but naturally LibHD isn't among them.

If you have issues with strings you can always copy only save files and it should work. i did that for AC Syndicate when i wanted to delete cloud saves. I just deleted local files, started game in offline mode, then started in online mode. Then after some time i wanted to go back on old save so i just copied old save files (not folder) and it worked. UPlay asked me if i want to overwrite online saves too. As long as saves are from same account they should work.

But also sometimes they can break things like i did with AC Rev where i broke Achievements because i copied save files from other account XD Now i have game done 100% and only 4 Achievements (game/UPlay only registered achievements i did after i copied save). So i have 100% Sync achievement but i don't have any Sequence finished achievement on UPlay xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom