• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, I'm gonna miss lashman a lot. He hasn't posted in a while now so I hit him up. I thought it ended months ago but apparently there were still some unbearable trolls harassing him and complaining to mods about him.
People can be utter shit. lashman is a real nice guy and I miss the days when he posted normal. Hope he'll feel more comfortable in the future and return. I'll miss you bud.

Same, he's actually one of the reasons for me sticking to the thread originally (I used to lurk before I got approved) and he's like THE reason to use twitter.
I miss his old posts (remember the ;) face?) and the copons avatar quoting :(

I'll never understand the people who complained about him, he's one of the coolest persons to ever post here.

Likewise! Him, WD, Kiru, and Cheese made GAF fun for me to visit. :(

Saty

Weekly HB leftovers:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Divekick -- MB-7D11672E3C8844BD - Taken by Zeeman
SpeedRunners -- MB-9CB54EE1EDBC6A97 - Taken by TheMadMan007

Maniac

Banned
I decided to download a sample of The Witcher book 1: The Last Wish, and have read the first two chapters so far, and I really like it. I have to look up a ton of words to understand what is being described which is unfortunate, and which also means, that I probably have to read it through on Kindle (on iPhone, welp).

But I'm pretty sure I'm picking up the physical book, if the next three chapters are good as well.

I just don't understand the whole princess being a striga. Which means that she doesn't have legs but is instead rooted as a plant?
Bog & Idé has all the books that've been translated into english thus far, and they're definitely a lot better than the fan-made translations I've had to deal with when I read the first book.

Also I've, somehow, always managed to read it as "strigoi", possibly because that's the polish name for them, and with The Hexer Witcher being a polish creation it makes sense...

... Maybe.

...I mean, my brain doesn't really work nor make sense very often, as anyone who read my posts will know.

... Also believe that's the term used for the vampire-esque monsters in The Strain, come to think of it.

Edit: Aaaand then I learn that strigoi isn't the polish name / term.

Screw me. In the face.

Please.

I decided to download a sample of The Witcher book 1: The Last Wish, and have read the first two chapters so far, and I really like it. I have to look up a ton of words to understand what is being described which is unfortunate, and which also means, that I probably have to read it through on Kindle (on iPhone, welp).

yeah, the Kindle is great with that stuff. When reading Game of Thrones, there was a lot of words i didn't know or things that i did know what they were but not what they were called.

I can now tell you what a portcullis is!

Pachimari

or...you know...

NNZxBnb.png

I haven't even beaten Demon's Souls (sold it), Dark Souls, Dark Souls II or Bloodborne. Bloodborne is just there looking at me from its shelf.

The Last Wish is a great read. The only thing that threw me was some localisation differences, re: names. Like Vizima is Wyzima or something. But overall, it gives a great feel for the world.

I love the way it twists the expected into something new. That is, at its heart, the Witcher I know.

Rafy

It's been a while since I've had extra stuff to do a modbot giveaway...
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rafy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Retro City Rampage DX -- MB-4AFE4AD7424E2371 - Taken by fenners. 9 entrants total.
Outlast -- MB-6A08F73B3F2F13DF - Taken by OmarYusaf. 9 entrants total.

t1456353548z1.png

Pachimari

Bog & Idé has all the books that've been translated into english thus far, and they're definitely a lot better than the fan-made translations I've had to deal with when I read the first book.

Which Bog og idé? The one in Field's doesn't have any of the Witcher books.

Ludens

Banned
So the current price for Shadwen is 34$. How much the game will cost? Because Trine 3 was overpriced and very short (and incomplete), I didn't expect Shadwen to be over 30$, but something like 20$.

Just read this by Durante concerning the Oculus Rift:

It's explicitly forbidden for other HW platforms to implement the Rift API, while it is encouraged with the OpenVR API.
I don't think that qualifies as equally open.

It really sounds so horrible. I remember Palmer, before being bought by Facebook saying that an open plattform is the best thing.

The OpenVR API (by Valve?) is even supporting the Oculus Touch and chapperone system by Oculus.

The SteamStore pages even show with what headset you can play the games:

DfWvBhB.png

I really hope Oculus will rethink their stance on a closed HW "plattform"...

Nillansan

Damn, I'm gonna miss lashman a lot. He hasn't posted in a while now so I hit him up. I thought it ended months ago but apparently there were still some unbearable trolls harassing him and complaining to mods about him.
People can be utter shit. lashman is a real nice guy and I miss the days when he posted normal. Hope he'll feel more comfortable in the future and return. I'll miss you bud.

I am sorry to hear that, I would miss out on a ton stuff if it wasn't for him, but honestly I wouldn't mind if he engaged in our conversations, he seems like a really nice guy.

zkylon

zkylewd
just received an email from paradox saying my pillars of eternity box is underway?

but i already got it like 5 months ago -__-

gonna email them and tell them they've gone a bit crazy lol

Hektor

just received an email from paradox saying my pillars of eternity box is underway?

but i already got it like 5 months ago -__-

gonna email them and tell them they've gone a bit crazy lol

Sssssh, just ignore it and send it to me.

Some people are asses. What we need are usernames.

Messiah

I get bored by stage 4 and deliberately die. No idea how you do it. I'm with Messiah here. Not even worth. Just go play some nice casuals/ranked matches or something.

Oh, so you didn't get to the insanely frustrating input reading AI. Lucky you.

Sch1sm

Oh, so you didn't get to the insanely frustrating input reading AI. Lucky you.

Tell me what level that begins at, and when I get home from work tonight I'll attempt to witness this nonsense and send messages to the Steam chat about how much I hate the world and Capcom.

Messiah

Tell me what level that begins at, and when I get home from work tonight I'll attempt to witness this nonsense and send messages to the Steam chat about how much I hate the world and Capcom.

That's the worst thing. The AI is braindead until stage 25 and then it starts cheating.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So the current price for Shadwen is 34$. How much the game will cost? Because Trine 3 was overpriced and very short (and incomplete), I didn't expect Shadwen to be over 30$, but something like 20$.

$35 is the base price. The little contest is to decide the launch discount and I'd say a reduction to $20 is definitely out of the question.

Pachimari

It's not worth it man. Stay away from that mode.

I get bored by stage 4 and deliberately die. No idea how you do it. I'm with Messiah here. Not even worth. Just go play some nice casuals/ranked matches or something.

It's part of the fun for me though.

That's the worst thing. The AI is braindead until stage 25 and then it starts cheating.

I would say it's easy up until Stage 28. They are easy to beat if you mix it up.

Jawmuncher

SFV Survival mode is straight bullshit. Just another way for capcom to make you use your fight money to buy the colors. There's an obvious bump up in difficulty the last few fights even on normal. Capcom just wanting to offer that "chance to get it for free". Couldn't imagine doing hell difficulty and losing at the end.

Wok

$35 is the base price. The little contest is to decide the launch discount and I'd say a reduction to $20 is definitely out of the question.

Based on their rules, the lowest launch price would be $29. Apparently, I am wrong.

Wok said in the Steam thread that the maximum possible discount is 16.66%, which aligns with the rules saying that the final launch price may be 10-20% cheaper than the base price, but it's also stated that FrozenByte reserves the right to change either price, so the discount could end up being higher if enough people get involved.

Just to be clear, that's incorrect. There's some reasonable limits but it can go way down from the starting price for sure. Can't go free and we won't start paying you if you cheat the system, but the more players we have, the cheaper it will be. :)

- Joel, Frozenbyte, developers of Shadwen

Ah, nice.

Wok

See my post above.

Edit: Err, make that "above yours" (50ppp here).

Saw that.

Wok said in the Steam thread that the maximum possible discount is 16.66%, which aligns with the rules saying that the final launch price may be 10-20% cheaper than the base price, but it's also stated that FrozenByte reserves the right to change either price, so the discount could end up being higher if enough people get involved.

Just to be clear, that's incorrect. There's some reasonable limits but it can go way down from the starting price for sure. Can't go free and we won't start paying you if you cheat the system, but the more players we have, the cheaper it will be. :)

- Joel, Frozenbyte, developers of Shadwen

Ah, nice.

I don't get the rules then.

DISCLAIMER: Launch price is permanent price with launch discount. Permanent price may be 10-20% higher than launch price. The launch price in other currencies is based on the dollar (USD) price and may vary slightly according to store policies and currency rates at the time of launch. Frozenbyte reserves all rights to change the launch price and final price of the game. (e.g. in cases of technical failure, reverse engineering, data manipulation, fitting the launch price in to pricing matrix)

Grief.exe

Edit: there seems to be conflicting information, wait before jumping to conclusions.

Destructoid reporting that the PC version of Disgaea is a mess.

http://www.destructoid.com/the-pc-port-of-disgaea-is-an-absolute-mess-344192.phtml

Enabling V-Sync makes the game run at half speed, while disabling it causes massive screen-tearing. The character filter makes all the sprites blurry messes that are impossible to discern. Depth of field is applied poorly and leaves big rectangles of blurriness around every sprite. SSAO causes huge graphical glitches, leaving flickering black lines plastered over the game. And to add insult to injury, the screen end blur just looks plain ugly.

full key and gamepad rebinding options

Destructoid reporting that the PC version of Disgaea is a mess.

http://www.destructoid.com/the-pc-port-of-disgaea-is-an-absolute-mess-344192.phtml

This one had a different opinion:

All-in-all, Disgaea PC feels like a somewhat simple but solid port. It runs well, and can easily be played on laptops or low spec machines when using original map textures. Any of the configuration options/toggles can be adjusted at essentially any time except during dialogue scenes.

http://www.rpgsite.net/preview/4740-hands-on-with-disgaea-pc

Btw. calling a Port a mess I would actually wonder if the previewer tried it on different systems. I mean it seems he only used one...

Damn, I was wondering why I hadn't seen him post in a while. That sucks. :(

Dr Dogg

Heads about to roll in that ND thread?

What is it about Naughty Dog threads and over excitement? Anyway good news is there will be an Assassin's Creed appearance in gaming this year! Even if it is only by concept art plagiarism.

Speaking of heated threads...

Very viable.

There is no native driver support for xinput and will default to dinput, which is an outdated standard. If you use software such as DS4Windows, then you will be perfectly fine, even utilizes the touchpad for mouse support or binding swiping motions to in-game actions. For example, in Dragon's Dogma I have swipe down set to toggle the UI and swipe up to take screenshot.

Howdey Grief. Hope you've had a fun month on the sidelines.

Grief.exe

RPGsite said it was solid. Wonder if it's a nvidia vs amd style thing. Or maybe some gpu updates are in order.

This one had a different opinion:

http://www.rpgsite.net/preview/4740-hands-on-with-disgaea-pc

Btw. calling a Port a mess I would actually wonder if the previewer tried it on different systems. I mean it seems he only used one...

I edited my post to reflect the conflicting information, with only two hours until release, there is no point in poisoning the waters just yet.

Does it have VMProtect as well?

Securom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom