• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

madjoki

Awesome!
If I remember right, Adult Swim also used to give you duplicates of the games you already owned when you bought the Adult Swim bundle.
Adult Swim are fucking awesome is what i'm getting at.

Yeah, that's how it used to work.

I hope Valve forces publishers to use this new system to ease refunds.

Played the Shadwen demo and thought it was pretty cool, it has some cool ideas and decent stealth mechanics, but the controls were kind of rough and the logic of what you can and can't do seemed a little off, I hope they put some more work into it before release because it definitely has potential.

Dr Dogg

Shame the keybindings for Disgaea will only let you select a keyboard key otherwise you could map everything you need to a 5 button mouse. Thank you SteelSeries Engine for easy peasy per game profiles. Might go try it on my Surface and see how touchscreen controls work out.

It's hard to rush a pc port of 13 year old game.

What can happen is that they simply weren't able to test it with enough different setups and just launched it and crossed their fingers, hoping that the hot mess that comes after is small enough that it can reasonably patched soon after.

Yes you can. It's not like they've been working on the port for the last 13 years. The age of the game has nothing to do with how much time they were given to do the port.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I appreciate to hear your calm and thoughtful opinions on the matter rather than dramatized "shit-port!!1!" posts. Just want you to know that.

thanks! :)

it really seems like this is a case of not being tested on enough different system configurations....

It reminds a bit of the Trails in the Sky Part 1 release, lots of problems that got fixed really fast, and most of that was just because Xseed just doesn't has the resources like big publishers...

Lets hope NIS listens and tries to fix the problems as fast as possible

edit: and it kinda looks like most people with problems have Nvidia cards... maybe it's a driver issue or something like that

Nzyme32

yJzPoj0.png

This is new.
Hopefully more publishers start using it.

Oh! This is good. I've liked this sort of thing on GoG. Valve seem to have added a few of these extra things today. Hope they have more on the way

Dr Dogg

Disgaea works amazing on a touch screen! Hold and drag to move and double tap to select as default. Need to setup right click as long press but off the bat navigation is pretty simple. If I can get this running a ok on 2 PCs, one with an Intel HD4000 iGPU then I have no idea what is happening to other folks.

Also just looked at the achievements. Yeah no one is getting them all anytime soon.

The_Super_Inframan

Disgaea works amazing on a touch screen! Hold and drag to move and double tap to select as default. Need to setup right click as long press but off the bat navigation is pretty simple. If I can get this running a ok on 2 PCs, one with an Intel HD4000 iGPU then I have no idea what is happening to other folks.

Also just looked at the achievements. Yeah no one is getting them all anytime soon.

hm, I have to try it on my cheapo W10 tablet :)

thanks! :)

it really seems like this is a case of not being tested on enough different system configurations....

It reminds a bit of the Trails in the Sky Part 1 release, lots of problems that got fixed really fast, and most of that was just because Xseed just doesn't has the resources like big publishers...

Lets hope NIS listens and tries to fix the problems as fast as possible

edit: and it kinda looks like most people with problems have Nvidia cards... maybe it's a driver issue or something like that

I appreciate it too, though I thought it went without saying considering my normal take on this stuff. Everything you say about "not being tested on enough systems" is true, and unfortunately, it's not always the case where it *could've* been tested with everything and they just choose not to. The cost/time constraints of getting a project out the door do not afford the team responsible with the luxury of trying every little thing in every manner possible on every system.

Dr Dogg

hm, I have to try it on my cheapo W10 tablet :)

I can't get pinch to zoom to work but that's a Windows issue and Wacom doesn't have any drivers that work for me with a scroll wheel digitizer but I've got the keyboard cover attached to my Surface so it's a quick swipe on the track pad to get access to zoom. Considering there was no intention to work on a touch device it's not to shabby. Q and E rotate the camera and they can only be rebound to a key but I did buy a overlay thing to replicate a keyboard one Steam sales many moons ago so might try that out.

Edit: No pinch to zoom totally works in windowed mode.

Eila

Frankly something like Grandia II was a lot more basic and had more troubles at launch, yet we were patient and they fixed at a least the most glaring issues like the sound cutting off. They even added 60 fps battles eventually!
We have to wait and see if NISA will respond in a timely manner, but out of the box I feel the port had more work done than the one I mentioned earlier.

75% positive isn't actually bad for a launch, considering the rate at which QA escapes seem to happen these days (though it's hard to fault QA with the number of permutations of available hardware out there in some of these escapes). It's not like it's sub 40%.

Well, yes. What I mean is that if a good classic JRPG doesn't get higher positive reviews than that, it means there's something wrong with the port. I hope they'll sort them out, seems quite minor tbh.

The_Super_Inframan

Edit: No pinch to zoom totally works in windowed mode.

so, i tried it on my 100€ windows tablet which has like no GPU power at all (2GB RAM Baytrail tablet) and the game runs between 30 and 40 fps with all the fancy graphic effects turned off :p

thats pretty amazing imo!

they should have added dedicated touch controls, some stuff is not possible without a keyboard or controller, but pinch to zoom works which is strange...

Though I do use an older Air for Steam skin (version 2015-0628 because the new ones don't have a nice play button on the games grid which is what I use for 95% of my Steam view) the best thing for me is using Steam Tile and pinning what I'm currently playing to my start screen. Yes, I like the start screen.

Rsg5UeB.png

Blood Dragon, looks out of place because it's from Uplay. Oh well, I'm almost done with it.

Steam Tile is the fastest for me.

Jawmuncher

Though I do use an older Air for Steam skin (version 2015-0628 because the new ones don't have a nice play button on the games grid which is what I use for 95% of my Steam view) the best thing for me is using Steam Tile and pinning what I'm currently playing to my start screen. Yes, I like the start screen.

Rsg5UeB.png

Blood Dragon, looks out of place because it's from Uplay. Oh well, I'm almost done with it.

Steam Tile is the fastest for me.

There was a similar app for rainmeter. I actually liked that one.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/29u9cd/

Dr Dogg

so, i tried it on my 100€ windows tablet which has like no GPU power at all (2GB RAM Baytrail tablet) and the game runs between 30 and 40 fps with all the fancy graphic effects turned off :p

they should have added dedicated touch controls, some stuff is not possible without a keyboard or controller, but pinch to zoom works which is strange...

Cheapo Windows tablet is a beast! I'm getting 50-60% GPU usage in the field, 70% with certain special attacks and 30% back at the castle. HD4000 is better than a 970 confirmed.

Though I'm guessing it's a combination of a synchronisation issue or a adaptive power management one for some Nvidia folks. And I'd check those 2 options first in NVCP first to see if tinkering with driver level vsync settings help or adjusting power management to prefer maximum helps out.

Is that a small tablet? Your hands make it look tiny.

Well, yes. What I mean is that if a good classic JRPG doesn't get higher positive reviews than that, it means there's something wrong with the port. I hope they'll sort them out, seems quite minor tbh.

I know what you meant, but my point was that if there's actually something "wrong" with the port, the score would be a lot lower than 75% with the way the pc community tends to lash out at things they don't like.

Look at Tales of Symphonia, it's sitting at 53%, for example.

MUnited83

For you.
Cheapo Windows tablet is a beast! I'm getting 50-60% GPU usage in the field, 70% with certain special attacks and 30% back at the castle. HD4000 is better than a 970 confirmed.

Though I'm guessing it's a combination of a synchronisation issue or a adaptive power management one for some Nvidia folks. And I'd check those 2 options first in NVCP first to see if tinkering with driver level vsync settings help or adjusting power management to prefer maximum helps out.
Tinkering with NVCP doesn't do any good on my end, sadly.

Dr Dogg

Tinkering with NVCP doesn't do any good on my end, sadly.

I find it bonkers how my shitty iGPU is playing the game fine but you can't. Some folks did post in the Steam hub about the game slowing down if a controller was attached but I guess you've probably seen that too. Hope you or NISA get it sorted out soon.

Dr Dogg

Replaying Disgaea I'm now seeing Rhaknar and Laharl as one and the same.

I want a window's tablet so bad. Just for low spec PC games in bed.

I stream to mine quite often and it's perfect for that. Plus it only pulls 40 watts from the wall so works out less power than having my monitor on bizarrely.

MUnited83

For you.
I find it bonkers how my shitty iGPU is playing the game fine but you can't. Some folks did post in the Steam hub about the game slowing down if a controller was attached but I guess you've probably seen that too. Hope you or NISA get it sorted out soon.
I just unplugged my controller to check if that was a issue.

It's running at half of what it was running before lol (16 fps now)
I want a window's tablet so bad. Just for low spec PC games in bed.

Wait for the Vita 2!
gpd-win10.jpg

Sch1sm

I'm playing The Stanley Parable and it's being a wild ride.
I'm laughing so much in the broom closet.

How many of the endings have you been through? I absolutely loved that game. Only takes 5 to finish, I put in...4 hours? Haha. Its humour isn't for just anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom